PDA

View Full Version : The best ways to cheat "rich" entities out of money

badger
2/11/2009, 11:52 AM
I am by no means endorsing this practice. However, for educational purposes only, how do you as the little guy, save money by screwing the big guys out there?

Here are examples I've heard of:

1- Get paid by your employer in cash. Prevents governmental cuts into the paycheck that normally happen, like social security, income taxes, or wage garnishments like child support.

2- Report damages to home and car after big storms hit. So junior threw a baseball through a window. BUT, if you wait to report it until a wind storm, you can blame the wind! Insurance to the rescue! Free window repair!

3- Don't pay more than the first month of rent. It can take a long time for evictions to be approved by courts, so you'll be living rent-free until that time comes!

4- Complain about PPV feeds after the show ends. Cable companies will remove PPV charges for the weakest, weirdest reasons.

5- Steal cable and Internet from your neighbors. I saw this going on a lot in college.

Remember, educational purposes only! This thread is in tribute to Homer Simpson's "keep brain from freezing" insurance fraud to get hair regrowth formula for free.

JohnnyMack
2/11/2009, 11:56 AM
4- Complain about PPV feeds after the show ends. Cable companies will remove PPV charges for the weakest, weirdest reasons.

I did that last year when I missed the 4th quarter of the OU game that was on PPV.

badger
2/11/2009, 12:05 PM
It worked too, didn't it Johnny?

Here are a few others I've heard of:

1- Stop payment on online orders after the merchandise gets shipped. This will likely result in "negative feedback" from a seller, but it won't stop you from getting free merchandise with little repercussions.

2- Donate a vehicle to charity, then report on your taxes far more than the car will ever resell for. I think they have changes laws on this to prevent this type of fraud, but I'm quite sure it still goes on so that the non-profits get far less for the car than the "philanthropist" will report on their taxes. This probably works for other high end items like boats and RV's and such.

yermom
2/11/2009, 12:29 PM
i don't think #3 would work too many times

but it takes forever to get kicked out of a house you haven't been paying the mortgage on...

TUSooner
2/11/2009, 12:43 PM
1- Get paid by your employer in cash. Prevents governmental cuts into the paycheck that normally happen, like social security, income taxes, or wage garnishments like child support.

A possible bonus benefit of this scheme is that the federal government might pay all your room and board expenses in one of their special "hotels" for a period of many months or years!

badger
2/11/2009, 12:48 PM
A possible bonus benefit of this scheme is that the federal government might pay all your room and board expenses in one of their special "hotels" for a period of many months or years!

Are you referring to prison or are you referring to FEMA's Katrinians?

If you are referring to prison, I would like to emphasize once again: EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. All of these things could result in prison or hefty fines, but then again, so should cheating taxes even if you're a politician. As we all know that there's politicians, CEOS, and the like cheating the law because they can, I was curious about the ways that the little guys cheat the law because they can... and only for educational purposes, not that I endorse little guys breaking laws.

Here's a few more:

-messing with your meter or cable box. Just like turning back the odometer on a car, crack that utility meter open and get some free water or electricity! I've also heard of cable box modifier chips that will get people free service and channels.

-Disaster relief fraud. When the government is in a panic to ensure that the ones really effected are cared for, it is also common for others to take advantage of the situation by claiming lost possessions, damages, etc. It became well-known after Katrina that many were swiping the prepaid Visa cards that were intended for those displaced and using them for things like Saints season tickets.

TUSooner
2/11/2009, 12:51 PM
Are you referring to prison or are you referring to FEMA's Katrinians?

I believe the proper euphemism is "correctional facility." :D

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2009, 12:52 PM
Get your dog/cat a credit card with a large limit.

frankensooner
2/11/2009, 12:58 PM
Get your dog/cat a credit card with a large limit.

Santos L. Halper?

1890MilesToNorman
2/11/2009, 01:05 PM
3- Don't pay more than the first month of rent. It can take a long time for evictions to be approved by courts, so you'll be living rent-free until that time comes!

I'l get'ya one way or the other! Some landlords you best not mess with!

Educational purposes only mind you! :D

OhU1
2/11/2009, 01:17 PM
Dress up and play Pirates with full costume fake swords and the works with a few of your good friends like you did as kids. Jump out and yell at old people who walk by and pick up the wallets, purses, and valuables they drop and leave behind.

GrapevineSooner
2/11/2009, 01:25 PM
One year when I was actually living in Grapevine in an apartment, the wife and I were cash strapped so I called up the cable company and canceled cable TV. We also got our Internet through them and as luck would have it, when they disconnected the cable TV, they disconnected the Internet as well.

So I called them, explained the situation. Tech comes out on a Saturday, hooks everything up at the box, hooks up the cable modem, then notices that the cable outlet on the wall is still connected to our TV, so he disconnects that stating that if we left that connected, it would interfere with the signal coming into the cable modem.

Which was BS and I knew it. Both services are transmitted on different frequencies on the spectrum. I decided to hook it back up after he left and lo and behold, we still had cable TV. So for the next 8 months, we had free cable TV until we moved to another unit within the complex.

By that time, I guess the cable company finally figured out how to filter out the TV frequencies for people who only had Internet because I ordered only the Internet after we moved.

We didn't have free cable, so I had to place another call to get it hooked up.

jeremy885
2/11/2009, 01:32 PM

That will get you 15 days of "free" rent in Norman. The eviction process is a lot quicker then you think (I used to work for an apartment complex).

yermom
2/11/2009, 01:43 PM
Santos L. Halper?

if that is your real name, Bart Simpson

Scott D
2/11/2009, 02:08 PM
6. Get hired as the CEO of a Fortune 500 company ;)

Jacie
2/12/2009, 01:27 PM
Steal all the condiments you can from every restaurant you go to. Never pay for salt, pepper and sugar again!

badger
2/12/2009, 01:38 PM
Steal all the condiments you can from every restaurant you go to. Never pay for salt, pepper and sugar again!

I've heard of misers who do this... but also do not neglect to take the free napkins and plastic sporks.

SoonerJack
2/12/2009, 04:55 PM
I know this lady that never orders a drink at a restaurant other than water with lemon.

She then squeezes the lemon, adds a packet or two of sweetener, and boom - lemonade.

She is wise in the ways of the miserly force.

BudSooner
2/12/2009, 09:24 PM
One year when I was actually living in Grapevine in an apartment, the wife and I were cash strapped so I called up the cable company and canceled cable TV. We also got our Internet through them and as luck would have it, when they disconnected the cable TV, they disconnected the Internet as well.

So I called them, explained the situation. Tech comes out on a Saturday, hooks everything up at the box, hooks up the cable modem, then notices that the cable outlet on the wall is still connected to our TV, so he disconnects that stating that if we left that connected, it would interfere with the signal coming into the cable modem.

Which was BS and I knew it. Both services are transmitted on different frequencies on the spectrum. I decided to hook it back up after he left and lo and behold, we still had cable TV. So for the next 8 months, we had free cable TV until we moved to another unit within the complex.

By that time, I guess the cable company finally figured out how to filter out the TV frequencies for people who only had Internet because I ordered only the Internet after we moved.

We didn't have free cable, so I had to place another call to get it hooked up.
Heh, i'm always finding people who complain of internet problems...only to find many tv's hooked up even though they are supposed to get high speed only.
Yeah, I'm a dickhead....I go out and put on a data filter and kill the dreams of the slob wanting to catch the game on Saturday. :D