PDA

View Full Version : So I had lunch with Mack Brown the other day..

Soonerinatex
2/11/2009, 12:48 AM
Well sorta..

My wife and I were at a sub shop near UT campus having lunch the other day. We were about half way through when a couple sat at the next table over. I didn't notice right away but I looked over and it was Mack and his wife, Sally.

At first I was a little shocked, then the wheels started turning, I knew I had to say something but what? So, while I'm trying to figure out the most subtle jab at UT without being disrespectful, my wife (who is a Texas Aggie) leans over and introduces herself saying something like "I'm a little star struck, but I hate when UT beats A&M". She got a laugh out of both of them. I asked him if there were going to be any Big12 rule changes re: head to head etc.. after what happened in '08. He didn't reveal anything of course. I honestly can't remember if I let on that I was a Sooner, I think I did but it all happened so fast.

We made small talk for a few minutes then left. He's a really nice guy and his wife was super nice also.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

olevetonahill
2/11/2009, 01:37 AM
http://www.brownstoner.com/forum/profile_post_images/pigs_at_the_tou_2.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/11/2009, 02:58 AM
We made small talk for a few minutes then left. He's a really nice guy and his wife was super nice also.

Anyway, thought I'd share.How nice for you...

AlbqSooner
2/11/2009, 07:05 AM
http://www.brownstoner.com/forum/profile_post_images/pigs_at_the_tou_2.jpg

Chickens in the hot tub is one thing, but DAMMIT BOY!:D

Boomer Mooner
2/11/2009, 08:35 AM
You should have given him a big ol' Billy Sims BOOMER...
(awkward silence)

BOOMER!
(awkward silence)

BOOMER!
(crickets chirping, wife turning red)

BrockLanders
2/11/2009, 12:57 PM
He didnt answer your questions!! What an assh0le!

JLEW1818
2/11/2009, 01:11 PM
I would have punched him in the face, and took off running.... man, the stories one could tell

OUDoc
2/11/2009, 02:26 PM
He didn't call a press conference to bitch about some else getting served before he did?

olevetonahill
2/11/2009, 02:45 PM
Chickens in the hot tub is one thing, but DAMMIT BOY!:D

I didnt have the chickens In the hot tub , I got in the Hot tub to warsh the chicken **** off my bare feet . Pay tention dayum it .:D

Scott D
2/11/2009, 02:47 PM
You should have asked him if he liked that location better than the one in Baton Rouge, or the one in Norman.

Beef
2/11/2009, 03:56 PM
Did he clap at his food?

2/11/2009, 04:03 PM
HappyClappyMackbrown must be AWOL. This here thread is calling!

soonermagic14
2/11/2009, 06:28 PM
I would've worked up a fart and walked by his table and crop dusted him or something.

soonervegas
2/11/2009, 06:49 PM
Are you SURE it wasn't James Best?

1890MilesToNorman
2/11/2009, 06:53 PM
Another 3-way tie, this time at a sub shop and aTm was involved. When's it going to end????

The Remnant
2/11/2009, 07:05 PM
When I first saw that picture I thought it was my senator working on the stimulus bill.

TXBOOMER
2/11/2009, 07:18 PM
Did he have his shat sandwich with or without the bread?

the_ouskull
2/11/2009, 08:21 PM
Are you SURE it wasn't James Best?

Was it a human female with "Mack," or was it a good ol' hound dog? I think we deserve to know...

the_ouskull

Alum81
2/11/2009, 08:45 PM
I would have unscrewed the caps off his salt and pepper and then waited for the moment of truth........

AzianSooner
2/11/2009, 10:04 PM
Next time, would you please ask if he has a TV hanged in his sanctuary place (mean the pooping place)

A Sooner in Texas
2/11/2009, 11:44 PM
Was the bill for his food $45.35?

goingoneight
2/11/2009, 11:49 PM
Mack's a pretty cool dude, actually. I've always said he doesn't really fit in down there. They need someone to make an *** out of themselves like :les: or to go all Darrell Royal like Lane Kiffin. :D

Blues1
2/12/2009, 12:00 AM
If Mack was the Coach at say "South Carolina" we would probably really like the Guy...Glad you shared your Lunch Time True Event...~!!!

Keep Rockin'

JLEW1818
2/12/2009, 12:06 AM
Was the bill for his food $45.35?

lol, that is the only time i laughed today

2/12/2009, 12:35 AM
Mack's a pretty cool dude, actually. DNot saying you're wrong, but he seems more like a whiny bitch to me.

Sooner70
2/12/2009, 07:07 AM
Aw....folks.....come on now.....Mack is probably a genuine pretty nice guy. Don't care for all his whining sometimes, but if the roles were reversed, I'd imagine Stoops would do the same. Mack is very good with the media...Stoops could take lessons from that, but never will as he views media as a "necessary part of the job." Mack views it as an opportunity and bully pulpit. However, I really think Stoops is a man of goodness & heart too...he kinda comes across prickly vs Mack, but he's a good man & does a lot of good off the field stuff that nobody knows about. I also admire Stoops for his position on players' misbehaviors, on and off the field.....I think Mack has learned from Bob on that....Mack used to support his players when they didn't deserve it, especially bad off field stuff. Stoops won't put up with that crap, as Blomar, Quinn, Jarboe & others in recent history have found out. It doesn't matter to Stoops if you're a starter or a 5 star recruit. Mack is a good recruiter, but so is Bob. I'm really not sure how good a coaching technician Mack is vs. more of a coordinator.Seems like Bob is pretty good at both. All in all, Mack does come across as a nice guy, but my Sooner Coach pick is still Bob Stoops.

badger
2/12/2009, 07:18 AM
If Mack was the Coach at say "South Carolina" we would probably really like the Guy...Glad you shared your Lunch Time True Event...~!!!

Keep Rockin'

I like the coach at South Carolina just fine :)

He's Stoops' visor mentor :D

ashley
2/12/2009, 03:38 PM
Sure he is a good guy. You don't think he and The King would be good friends if he wasn't do you. You know he used to work for us.

2/12/2009, 04:29 PM
Sure he is a good guy. You don't think he and The King would be good friends if he wasn't do you. You know he used to work for us.Maybe he's a good guy in a whiny bitch sort of way?

OUAlumni1990
2/12/2009, 05:59 PM
Maybe he's a good guy in a whiny bitch sort of way?

Mack gets paid big bucks to whine. I'll bet he'd never do that if he wasn't paid for it.

Jdog
2/12/2009, 06:53 PM
Great story - Mack's got to be a good guy - after all his two biggest mentors were the King and an OU All American (doesn't matter that the two mentors hated each other.

I mean come on, can't we all get along - after all TU named their stadium after an OU All American

2/12/2009, 07:21 PM
Great story - Mack's got to be a good guy - after all his two biggest mentors were the King and an OU All American (doesn't matter that the two mentors hated each other.

I mean come on, can't we all get along - after all TU named their stadium after an OU All AmericanKool. You want to swap coaches with the whorns?haha

Soonerinatex
2/14/2009, 02:46 AM
Mack gets paid big bucks to whine. I'll bet he'd never do that if he wasn't paid for it.

I think you nailed it. He hates the controversy but UT pays him well and it's his job to be out there in the media fighting for his job/team/school, just like Bob. I think he's been bullied into getting out front and "whining" by UT and the entire state of Texas. It doesn't seem to be in his nature otherwise.

Can't blame the guy. Doesn't mean I have to like him or his program (although I do respect both). I can say that meeting him in person gave me a different perspective on where he is coming from though.

Boomer!

Clock Studies
2/14/2009, 11:25 AM
Mack's a lot like George Costanza - everyone must like him. Especially the power players and the 5 star recruits.

Know what I'm saying?

Bottom line: Mack Brown is the dorkiest coach ever.

SoonerObsession
2/14/2009, 12:13 PM
After your wife said she was star struck, she should have said, "I never thought I'd meet Rosco P. Coltrane!" ;)

2/14/2009, 02:11 PM
Mack's a lot like George Costanza - everyone must like him. Especially the power players and the 5 star recruits.

Know what I'm saying?

Bottom line: Mack Brown is the dorkiest coach ever.Whorns U is the easiest place in the world to recruit Texas high school sports stars. Mack is just lucky to have landed there.

swardboy
2/20/2009, 06:09 AM
^^Winnar^^

MamaMia
2/20/2009, 12:27 PM
I would have told him that the sub shop in Norman has a sandwich named after him called the Bevo Sobmarine.

2/20/2009, 02:59 PM
I would have told him that the sub shop in Norman has a sandwich named after him called the Bevo Sobmarine.mispelled SOBmarine?

Flagstaffsooner
2/20/2009, 03:08 PM
You guys can say all good things about Mack, but the truth is he is just like DKR. Nice guy on the outside, but a dirty lying whining SOB. He'd sell his mother to a Detroit pimp for another NC.

badger
2/20/2009, 06:15 PM
You guys can say all good things about Mack, but the truth is he is just like DKR. Nice guy on the outside, but a dirty lying whining SOB. He'd sell his mother to a Detroit pimp for another NC.

SOMEbody's got a case of the Sooners - hating the whorns no matter what ;)

Scott D
2/20/2009, 06:56 PM

his mother didn't have much street value, so I traded her to Jerry Jones for a 1st, 3rd and 7th rounder in the upcoming Pimpin' Draft.

Flagstaffsooner
2/21/2009, 01:48 AM
SOMEbody's got a case of the Sooners - hating the whorns no matter what ;)I hate those bastards, got a prob with that?;)

homerxsimpson
2/21/2009, 09:22 PM
The freaky thing is, in 10 years, you'll walk into a hotel elevator and there will be Mack. He'll extend his hand and great you by name, then ask how your wife is doing (also by name). The dude's got some kind of RainMan gift for remembering people (something I sorely lack).

tbl
2/23/2009, 12:45 PM
You should have given him a big ol' Billy Sims BOOMER...
(awkward silence)

BOOMER!
(awkward silence)

BOOMER!
(crickets chirping, wife turning red)

This.

setem
2/23/2009, 12:54 PM
You didn't drink after him did you?

OUAlumni1990
2/24/2009, 01:29 PM
My question is did the walls of Subway glow burnt orange as he entered the room? LOL.

SoonerJLB
2/25/2009, 10:30 PM
Did Mack's teeth look any whiter? Did he still hav that herprd lip? (I sent him a teeth whitening kit a few years ago for Christmas...and with some Herpesil). I hope it helped.

SoonerShark
2/26/2009, 01:29 AM
Is Mack a good guy who turned into an evil bitcher like DKRoyal, the star Oklahoman who turned into Darth Vader in orange?

2/26/2009, 02:07 AM
Is Mack a good guy who turned into an evil bitcher like DKRoyal, the star Oklahoman who turned into Darth Vader in orange?If we had to guess, prolly that.

Mile High Sooner
2/27/2009, 07:43 PM
Should have asked where Dallas the recruiting party would be held. :pop: