PDA

View Full Version : Important political announcement!!

Phil
2/10/2009, 10:51 PM
OK, folks. Yours truly has thrown his hat in the ring for a run at becoming mayor of the thriving metropolis of Warr Acres, Oklahoma. I have served on the City Council for almost a year, and decided to take a shot at the top spot. The election is March 3, and I have three opponents.

We're going to have to shell out a bunch of coin for signs, newspaper ads, direct mailings, and the like, and we've obviously got a short time to raise that money. So, if any of you want to help the democratic process and toss a few bucks into the kitty to help me in my run for mayor, I have set up a PayPal page to accept donations.

All donations must be from personal funds and must be $299.00 or less in order to avoid me having to report anyone's name on my ethics reports. As if anyone would actually throw in that much, of course, but it must be said. We're trying to raise $1,000.00, and every few bucks helps. Thanks.

http://www.soonerfans.com/donate.html

JohnnyMack
2/10/2009, 10:55 PM
VK and Booty are in charge of digging up dirt on your opponents!

I'll conduct a smear campaign on whoever is left standing and call ACORN!

tommieharris91
2/11/2009, 01:04 AM
What is your stance on states' rights?

What do you think of Obama's big economic stimulus package?

Crucifax Autumn
2/11/2009, 01:49 AM
With 3 opponents all ya gotta do is put up a buttload of signs. People are stupid and if your name is most familiar you'll win cause people are stupid. Whatever you do don't say anything. Don't have a platform, a major issue, or a single opinion. People are FAR more likely to vote against something than for something so you'll get every vote since everyone else will pizz everyone off at least once!

olevetonahill
2/11/2009, 02:04 AM
Just do Free Beer . signs .

Mixer!
2/11/2009, 09:00 AM
Pervert. :D

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2009, 10:17 AM
I wonder if you can get HMFIC put on the ballot???

Oh, and get your taxes paid!!! (unless you're a donk, then its ok to be a tax cheat)

Phil
2/11/2009, 12:22 PM
What is your stance on states' rights?

Well, not that it's relevant, but I'm in favor of states' rights, as clearly set out in the Constitution. I have an extremely low opinion of the porkulus, although we'll take any money it throws our way in Warr Acres for some road projects. Something about borrowing and spending to make things better doesn't seem quite right to me.

Mjcpr
2/11/2009, 02:24 PM
Will there be a free gift for the citizens? You could call it a free citizen's gift or something.

Mixer!
2/11/2009, 06:25 PM
You can keep your f'n $10, Pat. :D

LosAngelesSooner
2/11/2009, 08:33 PM
Would you like me to get a celebrity to endorse you? ;)

BudSooner
2/11/2009, 08:34 PM
"Click some damned political signs" doesn't have quite the same ring does it? :D

Phil
2/11/2009, 09:53 PM
Will there be a free gift for the citizens? You could call it a free citizen's gift or something.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Phil
2/11/2009, 09:54 PM
Would you like me to get a celebrity to endorse you? ;)

I don't think the celebrity you have in mind would have much impact with the constituency around here. Not that it wouldn't be cool anyway, of course.

AggieTool
2/11/2009, 11:06 PM
Just say you're endorsed by Obama and yer a shoe-in.:D

A Sooner in Texas
2/11/2009, 11:38 PM
Since a great many voters (and a sad sign of how uninformed people really are) vote for the first name at the top of the ticket, change yours to Aardvark Aaron.

And it's one people will remember. :)

Best of luck, Phil!

Okla-homey
2/12/2009, 06:45 AM
Having had a small town mayor in my family, and having listened to his stories of being bothered and bugged by citizens over even the most trivial matters, at all hours if the day and night, not to mention being sued a time or two both individually and in his official capacity, I can't imagine why on Earth you would want to be one. Of course, that's up to you. Good luck.

badger
2/12/2009, 07:05 AM
Warr Acres? Sooo... trying to be the next Ernest Istook, eh?

Do sponsorship dues count as campaign donations?

Oh, and now for the serious mayoral question: If you are already on city council, what difference does it make if you are mayor or a councilor? Don't they both just get one vote at meetings on issues? I mean, it's a cool title and all, and you can put your picture on brochures and get a mayoral office, but why mayor? What do you think you can accomplish as mayor that you couldn't as a councilor?

LosAngelesSooner
2/12/2009, 10:48 PM
I don't think the celebrity you have in mind would have much impact with the constituency around here. Not that it wouldn't be cool anyway, of course.
Oh, not him. He'd never do that.

But I've got several others on the hook that I can call in a favor from. :D

Mjcpr
2/13/2009, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

You wouldn't really have to follow through.

Rogue
2/15/2009, 09:49 AM
You knew about this when you brought SPEK back, didn't you?
Aww hell, here's $25, if I had a yard there I'd put your sign in it too.

Good luck, man.
-Cody

StuIsTheMan
2/17/2009, 01:10 PM
Will you leagalize weed in your "City"?

Phil
2/17/2009, 01:46 PM
Warr Acres? Sooo... trying to be the next Ernest Istook, eh?

Do sponsorship dues count as campaign donations?

Oh, and now for the serious mayoral question: If you are already on city council, what difference does it make if you are mayor or a councilor? Don't they both just get one vote at meetings on issues? I mean, it's a cool title and all, and you can put your picture on brochures and get a mayoral office, but why mayor? What do you think you can accomplish as mayor that you couldn't as a councilor?

To answer your questions in order:

No and NO.

WA has a strong mayor form of government, which means that the mayor, while only having one city council vote like everyone else, is the City's actual CEO on a day-to-day basis. The mayor has significantly more input into day-to-day operations, personnel, and the like. One of the main things I want to do is to change the city charter to go to a city manager form of government so we can get a professional administrator in there to run the city's daily business.

Whet
2/17/2009, 03:28 PM
You want me to round up some ACORN members for you?

OUMallen
2/18/2009, 08:29 AM
I donated. I demand something in return.

badger
2/18/2009, 10:48 AM
To answer your questions in order:

No and NO.

WA has a strong mayor form of government, which means that the mayor, while only having one city council vote like everyone else, is the City's actual CEO on a day-to-day basis. The mayor has significantly more input into day-to-day operations, personnel, and the like. One of the main things I want to do is to change the city charter to go to a city manager form of government so we can get a professional administrator in there to run the city's daily business.

Ah, so you're becoming mayor to ensure that all future mayor can't blow the city budget on signs around the city's border that say "Hey, you're already leaving Warr Acres, but if you didn't, you'd be paying lower taxes! So anyways, there's no chance in you turning around on these busy OKC suburb streets, but hey, just wanted to give a big EFF YOU for not spending your money here and saving money in taxes! Get ready to pay more for everything, sucker! lololololololololol"

:P or at least, that's what those signs said to me. I'm not sure how the rest of you are reading them.

sooneron
2/23/2009, 12:49 AM
Having had a small town mayor in my family, and having listened to his stories of being bothered and bugged by citizens over even the most trivial matters, at all hours if the day and night, not to mention being sued a time or two both individually and in his official capacity, I can't imagine why on Earth you would want to be one. Of course, that's up to you. Good luck.
Why on earth did you sue and pester your own family member?

StoopTroup
3/1/2009, 08:59 PM
I think I can help the farkers with ideas for Campaign Signs. :D

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/roadwarrior_l.jpg

Phil: Seriously though...Good Luck with your run for office.

Mixer!
3/2/2009, 12:43 AM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6944/madphil.png (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=madphil.png)

proud gonzo
3/2/2009, 01:18 AM
have you rounded up a midget with a broom yet for your campaign appearances?

Mixer!
3/2/2009, 02:57 AM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3015/mjcprballadmidgetlz2.jpg

StoopTroup
3/10/2009, 12:35 PM
I guess things are going well.

No news is good news?

OUsooner1
3/10/2009, 11:50 PM
I guess things are going well.

No news is good news?

Mayor's Race
Mike Gossman 268 votes
Jesus Morales 132 votes
Phil Owens 115 votes
Pat Woolley 495 votes

(With no one candidate winning more than 50% of the votes there will be a runoff election between Mike Gossman and Pat Woolley.) This runoff election will be on Tuesday, April 7th, 2009.