PDA

View Full Version : Tornadas and what-not...

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/10/2009, 04:18 PM
...an F2 just went through Edmond and tore some stuff up.

I-35 northbound shut down at Waterloo Rd.

:les: VAL!!!

JohnnyMack
2/10/2009, 04:21 PM
IBsomeonepoststhatpicofGE.

yermom
2/10/2009, 04:22 PM
:gary:

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/10/2009, 04:26 PM
Second cell coming through on the exact same path towards Edmond.

It's got a hook and some hail.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/10/2009, 04:29 PM
OKC, Putnam City and Edmond schools ain't letting your younguns out just yet so don't go fetchin' 'em.

Viking Kitten
2/10/2009, 04:33 PM
According to my spousal unit, it passed a mile north of my house/kids' school. They are prolly much safer in their school cafeteria than they would be in our bathtub.

I'm a bit worried about my dogs and husband though.

batonrougesooner
2/10/2009, 04:36 PM
Early this year.

Kind of like some years when the first game is August 25th and stuff.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/10/2009, 04:36 PM
The second one's shaping up in a bad, bad way. Huge hook forming and it's gaining speed.

Sirens going off again now in OKC.

Viking Kitten
2/10/2009, 04:40 PM
Blew the roof off a house in our neighborhood. Holy crap.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/10/2009, 04:41 PM
^ Yikes.

Deer Creek and Guthrie schools on lockdown now, too.

The first storm is spinning back up over Langston. Heading NE...you people get ready.

yermom
2/10/2009, 04:45 PM
hope Czar's ok :eek:

Viking Kitten
2/10/2009, 04:53 PM
Czar just took this pic:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7578/twisterdu6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/10/2009, 04:58 PM
Man. This second one's not going to be good news for those people. Lots of heavy rain.

Dang.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/10/2009, 04:58 PM
Oh, and baseball size hail in Guthrie.

:kelvin:

Viking Kitten
2/10/2009, 05:00 PM
OMG... MSNBC just called me. They are going to show that pic in just a few minutes. (With photographer credit to Czar) Man. The internets are something, aren't they?

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/10/2009, 05:07 PM
For real? Whoa.

NW Expressway and Rockwell is jacked up. So is Waterloo and Broadway.

tommieharris91
2/10/2009, 05:10 PM
It's lookin pretty nasty there.

SoonerStormchaser
2/10/2009, 05:20 PM
Those of you in Edmond...don't leave your ID's at home...they're checking them in the damaged neighborhoods and you won't be allowed back into your home without it.

Some of my guys in the squadron can't even get back to their homes up there, there's so many damned power lines down.

Sorry guys, this **** is training like a mother****er...it's gonna move out of here at the speed of smell.

Czar Soonerov
2/10/2009, 05:23 PM
I was heading home & thought I could beat it home. It hit our neighborhood as I was pulling in. I could see it down the street from our house as I pulled in the driveway. I didn't realize how bad it was til I went to get the kids & saw the roof damage & the school zone sign in the road.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9341/schoolzonegr2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

That hail was insane. It hit our neighborhood as we were leaving. I thought it was gonna break my windshield. I headed south to get away from it. We're at my parents house, they never lose power over here. :mad:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4025/hailuo5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SeattleOUstudent
2/10/2009, 05:31 PM
I think all that crap is going to hit Dallas tonight.

tommieharris91
2/10/2009, 05:31 PM
I just saw some footage of a tornader on The Weather Channel. Whoa.

batonrougesooner
2/10/2009, 05:38 PM
I live near 164th and May and watched the circulation on the first one pass just south of me while standing in my drive way. Dropped some powerlines and tore up some roofs just east of here. I'm also hearing about some significant damage in Oak Tree.

Oldnslo
2/10/2009, 05:44 PM
Yikes! Y'all be safe.

Czar Soonerov
2/10/2009, 05:47 PM
Just saw the damage in Oak Tree, holy crap!

Lott's Bandana
2/10/2009, 05:47 PM
I live near 164th and May and watched the circulation on the first one pass just south of me while standing in my drive way. Dropped some powerlines and tore up some roofs just east of here. I'm also hearing about some significant damage in Oak Tree.

I used to tell my neighbors in California that you can't go out your front door and track the progress of an earthquake.

These are the folks that expressed amazement that anyone would live in Oklahoma.

I'd usually follow up by telling them to ask their parents what it was like before they moved west.

Once again, another good reason to live in Norman. We always get to watch this stuff on TV.

batonrougesooner
2/10/2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah, reminds me of the saying that you know somebody is from Oklahoma when a tornado warning comes on the t.v. and you see them run out into the front yard.

As with most people on this board I'm sure, that is just a natural reaction to a tornado siren or an over-excited Val on a Gentner.

bri
2/10/2009, 06:12 PM
I think all that crap is going to hit Dallas tonight.

Nah, it's going north-y.

SeattleOUstudent
2/10/2009, 06:28 PM
I lived in Norman/OKC metro area for 6 years while in school and beginning of my career. Ive never heard of a town called Oak Tree :)

Czar Soonerov
2/10/2009, 06:47 PM
It's a neighborhood north of Edmond. The PGA had a little golf tourny there back in 88'.

BudSooner
2/10/2009, 06:48 PM
My sister and her hubby used to live out in Warr Acres, they always had **** get torn up over there....or Wiley Post.
She went outside one year when the sirens weren't blowing, and saw a funnel cloud less than a mile to the south, needless to say she and the boy beat it inside to witness debris falling outside the patio window.
Nothing big, but it did scare the **** out of Joshua...poor kid hasn't been the same since and just goes into a shell when the sirens go off.

I gotta call 'em and see if they are alright.

BudSooner
2/10/2009, 06:49 PM
Well ****, her phone number is out of service but she does live at 66th and south May. That area didn't receive anything too bad did it?

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2009, 06:50 PM
It's a neighborhood north of Edmond. The PGA had a little golf tourny there back in 88'.

Ever heard of Oak Tree Country Club, Seattle?

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2009, 06:52 PM
BTW, you guys stay safe.

I've got some cousins that live on the NW side of OKC and I'm just a tad bit worried for them.

Cheerin' 4 OU
2/10/2009, 06:54 PM
Well ****, her phone number is out of service but she does live at 66th and south May. That area didn't receive anything too bad did it?

Nothing bad at all happened down here on 74th and South May. We got sirens, but nothing worth sitting out on the front porch with a beer in hand.

Okla-homey
2/10/2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah, reminds me of the saying that you know somebody is from Oklahoma when a tornado warning comes on the t.v. and you see them run out into the front yard.

As with most people on this board I'm sure, that is just a natural reaction to a tornado siren or an over-excited Val on a Gentner.

there are two "e's" in sireen. It's pronounced, "sigh-reen". just sayin';)

StormySooner-IN
2/10/2009, 09:40 PM
Suprised you guys aren't used to this. Indy is.....

Anyway, hope everyone is safe and gets around okay. We get ours tommmrrow. Except it will not be as strong and just be in squall lines. But, winds will be gusting to 60mph all day and night....after over a foot of snow melted in 2 days plus were gonna get 2" of rain..........there is gonna be some problem. :eek:

Sooner04
2/10/2009, 10:27 PM
Lone Grove, seven or so miles west of Ardmore, has sustained major damage from a tornado that came through around 7:30. One reported fatality so far. The injured are being brought to various command centers around the city in the beds of pickups.

The sunrise will likely bring a horrible sight.

bluedogok
2/10/2009, 10:27 PM
Yikes! Y'all be safe.
Ditto...I called my parents and all they had was rain but my sister's school by Lake Overholser did go on alert when sirens went off. Hopefully everyone in the Ardmore area is getting through it as well.

We were talking about that at work the other day, had to inform them that there were storms in OKC today. I said it is just a natural reaction to "go see" if you are in danger.

My wife is in Palestine tonight so the stuff headed through DFW may be going through there later. Hopefully it will die down before then.

8timechamps
2/10/2009, 10:36 PM
Wow.

Hope everyone is safe.

stoopified
2/10/2009, 11:26 PM
My sister and brother-in-law live north of Danfoth and Boulevard in Edmond.Checked on them a few hours ago,everyone OK,thank goodness.

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2009, 11:30 PM
A few houses in Colleyville sustained damage from a tornado here in the Metroplex.

Though I'm sure it'll pale in comparison to what occurred in Lone Grove :(

olevetonahill
2/10/2009, 11:57 PM
Lone Grove, seven or so miles west of Ardmore, has sustained major damage from a tornado that came through around 7:30. One reported fatality so far. The injured are being brought to various command centers around the city in the beds of pickups.

The sunrise will likely bring a horrible sight.

Last I heard was 3 dead so far .
I hope thats all .

Sooner04
2/11/2009, 12:25 AM
Three dead so far through the AP wires.

The Majestic Hills and Beaver Academy areas (both about four miles North of downtown Ardmore) have also sustained major damages. Both areas are very nice, and reports right now state that large houses have been leveled.

About 40,000 people live within 10 miles of downtown Ardmore and, luckily, the tornado took a path that eluded all of the major population centers. A mile west and it takes out nearly all of Lone Grove. Four miles east, and it goes right through the middle of Ardmore.

Scary, scary stuff.

olevetonahill
2/11/2009, 12:32 AM
Three dead so far through the AP wires.

The Majestic Hills and Beaver Academy areas (both about four miles North of downtown Ardmore) have also sustained major damages. Both areas are very nice, and reports right now state that large houses have been leveled.

About 40,000 people live within 10 miles of downtown Ardmore and, luckily, the tornado took a path that eluded all of the major population centers. A mile west and it takes out nearly all of Lone Grove. Four miles east, and it goes right through the middle of Ardmore.

Scary, scary stuff.

Dayum Hope all is safe Bro /
That stuff is Hittin Me now . Knocked out TeeVee and Innerweb fer a few . dime size hail . then quit .
Maybe thats all i will get .

olevetonahill
2/11/2009, 12:40 AM
Cept maybe that wasnt all . Its coming at me again .
Oh well I still hope all of our Posters and their Families are safe . then to everyone else .

OULenexaman
2/11/2009, 12:49 AM
My mom and my sister both have homes in OakTree.....Moms house is OK...my sisters house on Country Club Drive sustained some damage but it do better than the 2 homes 2 doors down to the west of hers...they were destroyed...1 cat is missing...tough day for sure....

olevetonahill
2/11/2009, 12:57 AM
Better a cat than Peeps
jes sayin .

olevetonahill
2/11/2009, 04:12 AM
Now they reporting 8 dead :mad:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

Okla-homey
2/11/2009, 06:39 AM
Start at 2:20 in. Priceless.

http://www.koco.com/video/18687175/index.html

SoonerStormchaser
2/11/2009, 07:30 AM
Up to 15 fatalities down south in Lone Grove...from some of the pics, it's definitely an F-3 (possible F-4)

CUinNC
2/11/2009, 07:32 AM
Here on the E-C Foxnews is sayin' 15 are lost so far - i've said my prayers & hope everyone is alright

Take care

SeattleOUstudent
2/11/2009, 08:56 AM
wow. Yeah, thats Lone Grove greatness, right there.

SoonerJack
2/11/2009, 09:08 AM
The damaged houses they showed on the Weather Channel were massive. This storm didn't mess around with the usual trailer park fare.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/11/2009, 09:41 AM
That thing was over a half a mile wide. And it was dark. How scary would that be?

:(

Sooner04
2/11/2009, 10:35 AM
The "talk" right now is that there are probably around 15 dead and the only thing keeping them from upping the number is contact with the next of kin. It looks like the storm crossed HWY 70 a little over four miles due west of I-35 between the Meridian and Brock Road intersections.

Lone Grove Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=W+Broadway+St%2FUS-70&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=FSBwCQIddD80-g&mra=ls&sll=34.175027,-97.212353&sspn=0.066891,0.109863&gl=us&ie=UTF8&ll=34.171618,-97.213898&spn=0.066894,0.109863&z=13)

A mile west, and the town of Lone Grove would've been no more.

RacerX
2/11/2009, 11:41 AM
At NW 159th/May - some hail, lost power for a couple of hours. That was it. Saw quite a bit of fence damage in Blue Quail Ridge this morning.

My daughter's best friend lives in the Homestead neighborhood near Danforth and Santa Fe. I called them last night. Their garage door was caved and they lost half of their fence. Seven houses down...no roof. She wasn't sure if the shingles in their yard came from their roof or their neighbors' roofs.

Viking Kitten
2/11/2009, 11:50 AM
Man... I didn't realize until last night that it passed right over my kids' school while they were hunkered down inside. My son's teacher told Czar it sounded like the roof was going to fly off. Thank God it didn't hit half an hour later when the kids were walking home.

TMcGee86
2/11/2009, 12:27 PM
Man, that same storm line came through Houston last night and I think I was more scared during those 30mins than I was during Ike.

The wind was insane. It broke my patio umbrella in half, and it wasn't like it was open, it was shut and tied up. I figured that was a freak deal but turns out there was lots of wind damage all over Houston this morning.

Prayers go out to everyone up there.

SeattleOUstudent
2/11/2009, 12:39 PM
Tornados at night scare the bejesus out of me....especially wide ones like the Ardmore tornado. So strange that it hits before valentines day as well.

Czar Soonerov
2/11/2009, 01:37 PM
Man... I didn't realize until last night that it passed right over my kids' school while they were hunkered down inside. My son's teacher told Czar it sounded like the roof was going to fly off. Thank God it didn't hit half an hour later when the kids were walking home.

Walking home? I picked them up 10 minutes after it hit.

They didn't let any of the kids go unless parents were there to pick them up. Bus riders didn't get to go home til after 5:30.

Mjcpr
2/11/2009, 02:20 PM
At least one of you knows what your kids are doing.

:D

Viking Kitten
2/11/2009, 03:54 PM
Walking home? I picked them up 10 minutes after it hit.

They didn't let any of the kids go unless parents were there to pick them up. Bus riders didn't get to go home til after 5:30.

Tim H. Titty F**kin' Teb0w. I KNOW they didn't walk home. I was speaking hypothethically. If the storm HAD hit just a little later in the day, they might have been caught in it, either outside, or in the house which I don't think is as safe as the school's tornado shelter. I was simply expressing a sigh of relief that it hit when it did.

Howzit
2/11/2009, 04:08 PM
Tim H. Titty F**kin' Teb0w. I KNOW they didn't walk home. I was speaking hypothethically. If the storm HAD hit just a little later in the day, they might have been caught in it, either outside, or in the house which I don't think is as safe as the school's tornado shelter. I was simply expressing a sigh of relief that it hit when it did.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move it along...

Howzit
2/11/2009, 04:09 PM
I will say, however, thank Tim H. Titty F**kin' Teb0w for concnerned parents like Czar Soonerov.

Thank you Tim H. Titty F**kin' Teb0w.

I Am Right
2/11/2009, 04:23 PM
We have been without Electricity for 19 hrs. What happened on Idol, just kidding.

1890MilesToNorman
2/11/2009, 04:31 PM
Some went home and some stayed! Just kidding. :eek:

I Am Right
2/11/2009, 04:33 PM
Some went home and some stayed! Just kidding. :eek:

Now thats descriptive.

TMcGee86
2/11/2009, 04:41 PM
That one chick, the one that sucked, yeah she went home. And she was all like, cryin and stuff.

It was epic.

(srsly I didn't watch but I guarantee you that description cannot be denied.)

IB4OU2
2/11/2009, 04:44 PM

That reminds me Valentine's day is Saturday, right? :D

and I was worried about the Soonerov's and all my Edmond friends. The wife and I drove back to Tulsa from Stillwater through 15 miles of hell/hail...:mad:

bri
2/11/2009, 04:55 PM

Jeez, I thought you were a happy drunk.

achiro
2/11/2009, 05:09 PM
Tim H. Titty F**kin' Teb0w.

He's either got an AWESOME middle name or doing something great. Either way I am jealous and hate him more now

C&CDean
2/11/2009, 05:15 PM
So WTF is up? I'm up in Binghamton, NY, and I have the locals telling me a big-*** tornado hit "somewhere in Oklahoma." Guess I'll have to check the TV or USA Today or something.

Howzit
2/11/2009, 05:21 PM
So WTF is up? I'm up in Binghamton, NY, and I have the locals telling me a big-*** tornado hit "somewhere in Oklahoma." Guess I'll have to check the TV or USA Today or something.

Tim H. Titty F**kin' Teb0w, are you drunk already?

IB4OU2
2/11/2009, 05:29 PM

Do you want the Lone Grove account or the Oak Tree account?

C&CDean
2/11/2009, 05:30 PM
Not yet, but I'm fixin' to get thata way.

C&CDean
2/11/2009, 05:31 PM
Do you want the Lone Grove account or the Oak Tree account?

Lone Grove. They're a lot closer to being my kinda people than those snooty wannabes up on Oak Tree.

Czar Soonerov
2/11/2009, 06:06 PM

Wait, which is hypothetical?

A. Tim H. Titty F**kin' Teb0w?
B. The kids walking home?
C. You spelling hypothetically wrong?
D. Me not getting any on Valentine's day?

Sooner04
2/11/2009, 06:39 PM
Lone Grove. They're a lot closer to being my kinda people than those snooty wannabes up on Oak Tree.
Death toll remains at eight, although most think it will go up. Cadaver dogs have been on the scene most of the day. I've heard 15, I've heard more. The confirmed number is eight.

Most of the fatalities and damage were confined to, surprise-surprise, a couple of trailer parks on the outskirts of town. A couple of businesses and a UPS facility were hit really hard. A couple of churches also sustained significant damage.

Like I said earlier, this thing just barely missed the main part of the town of Lone Grove. The town has very large city limits, and the path of the tornado affected a good deal of property on the east side of the city but, man, had this thing been a mile west it would've been catastrophic. I'm guessing a solid F-3, but I'm no expert. I just know crap has been thrown everywhere.

They're good people out there, and it's a very close-knit town. Once the wires and debris are taken care of, they'll rebuild quickly.

Sooner04
2/11/2009, 07:26 PM
EF-4 is the official word now, with winds of over 170 MPH.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/11/2009, 07:28 PM
Holy crap.

Okla-homey
2/11/2009, 08:28 PM
My grandfather, who went to glory in 1989, was born in Lone Grove, I.T. on January 10, 1907.

I spent some time on the phone this morning with Mom in ArdVegas. We've accounted for all the various cousins, aunts and uncles still out there in Lone Grove and Wilson. [BTW, if your last name is Keith and you are from Carter or Marshall County, Oklahoma, we're kin] Other than some battered vehicles, downed trees and breached fences, all is well.

SoonerStormchaser
2/11/2009, 09:35 PM
Lone Grove Tornado has been classified as an EF-4

Edmond Tornado was an EF-2...probably would've been worse had it touched down over a more populated area.

soonerboomer93
2/11/2009, 11:13 PM
Nothing to see here, folks. Move it along...

it's VK posting as both of 'em

Sooner04
2/12/2009, 09:53 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/g1a911e779bc448f8c7fb22a9eaf8d4736b.jpg

Lightning illuminated the tornado as it made its way through Lone Grove. As far as I know, this is the only photo of the tornado to make its way to the public.

OhU1
2/12/2009, 01:33 PM
According to someone I know who was part of the search crew in Lone Grove it was really bad out there. This guy is a criminal investigator and has been around. His words: "Those people never had a chance." Among other things he discovered a headless body. He was pretty shaken up by what he saw out there and he has been to war zones and seen a lot of bad things in his time.

Apparently the maximum notice anyone had was about 17 minutes. As a long time Okie I rarely pay much mind to tornado warnings, especially in February. I wonder how many people in Lone Grove just shrugged this warning off too?

SoonerJack
2/12/2009, 04:46 PM

VK, as God as my witness, had I had any liquids in my mouth when I read that, they would have been spewed all over the monitor and keyboard.

Holy mackerel. You say stuff that no one else on the planet would think of and it is freakin' hilarious.

I seriously hope to meet you and Czar one day.

bonkuba
2/13/2009, 12:34 AM
Many of you know I live in the Ardmore area.......

We spent a bit in the storm shelter and then my mobile phone rang. Emergency Services contacted me and asked if I had vehicles available to assist as well as providing many (and I do mean many) tires to repair/replace tires that were being ruined by running over debris.

I sent out two of my trucks techs while monitoring all from the store....as well as supplying when needed.

The area is just terrible. One of the trailer parks that had people that we knew.....as well as family members of some of my employees......well it is just gone. You cant even tell that there was really a mobile home there.....just piles of "stuff" everywhere.

The authorities are letting folks in with permits now to try and salvage some of their belongings.........due to....you guess it.....looters. I would really have like to catch one of these guys and shoot them in the ***....then let a family that lost everything beat the hell out of 'em.

We made it OK but some of my bretheren did not.......sad night.....well it is really a blur...not much sleep as of yet.

All I can say after this is.....if you get a warning....go for cover. A lot of folks didn't and it cost some their lives.