PDA

View Full Version : Ouch. TaxCheat Timmuhs plan not getting a warm reception...

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2009, 11:56 AM
Watching the stock tickers dropping like a rock.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2009, 11:58 AM
US stocks fell sharply Tuesday, led by banks, as details of the government’s latest bank bailout plan trickled out.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down about 70 points, then lost another 100 in a matter of minutes -- before even any official government announcement.

Treasury Secretary Tim Geither will reveal the proposals to help banks at 11 am New York time, after a one-day delay. CNBC will interview Geithner after his speech, at noon. Then he's on to Capitol Hill, where he will testify before a House panel.

Some market watchers remain skeptical over the benefits of the plan and legendary investor Jim Rogers told CNBC it could even make things worse. The bailout will plunge the US further into debt and it is designed by the same people who failed to forecast the crisis in the first place, Rogers said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29119665

swardboy
2/10/2009, 01:05 PM
-293.74 around noontime

Dio
2/10/2009, 02:03 PM
I'm seeing plenty of "Change", but where's the "Hope"?

Boomer.....
2/10/2009, 02:08 PM
Dow: -349

:mad:

Scott D
2/10/2009, 02:23 PM
If the last year and a half has proven anything. If the media outlets ran with a story about how Puxotony Phil sneezed before coming out of that box, the Market would crash at least 150 points.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2009, 02:36 PM
interestingly, Obama set aside 500 Million for Groundhogs in the stimulus as well.

ACORN really did a good job of getting the groundhog vote out last year.

Condescending Sooner
2/10/2009, 02:39 PM
Until a few weeks ago any market downfall was due to the Bush administration. Now it's anybody's fault but the current administration.

Scott D
2/10/2009, 02:47 PM
To be fair, I didn't blame the market bottoming on Bush at any point. The Wall Street con game is far beyond the influence of whoever is in the White House.

Vaevictis
2/10/2009, 03:20 PM
Until a few weeks ago any market downfall was due to the Bush administration. Now it's anybody's fault but the current administration.

Depends on who you ask. If you ask Tuba or 85, or someone like them, it always had to do with Obama getting elected, Obama nominating this person or that person, Obama sneezing, Obama lighting a cigarette, etc.

Personally, I'll take, "It's waaaay more complex than that, folks."

85Sooner
2/10/2009, 03:30 PM
Depends on who you ask. If you ask Tuba or 85, or someone like them, it always had to do with Obama getting elected, Obama nominating this person or that person, Obama sneezing, Obama lighting a cigarette, etc.

Personally, I'll take, "It's waaaay more complex than that, folks."

On the contrary, I think Bush did a terrible job during his second term on many fronts. At least give credit where credit is due.

Vaevictis
2/10/2009, 03:31 PM
On the contrary, I think Bush did a terrible job during his second term on many fronts. At least give credit where credit is due.

Sorry, you conservatives all look alike.

;)

OU4LIFE
2/10/2009, 03:53 PM
so, you're saying that all of the drops and rises that come directly after big announcements...they don't have anything to DO with the announcements?

interesting.

I bet the people in Elkhart know why the market is tanking, they understand.

Vaevictis
2/10/2009, 04:01 PM
so, you're saying that all of the drops and rises that come directly after big announcements...they don't have anything to DO with the announcements?

interesting.

I'm saying that just because something occurs after an event isn't enough to show that it occurred because of an event.

I chose to eat a Snickers bar today instead of a Hershey bar. Hershey's price immediately dropped $0.20 a share. CLEARLY THERE'S A RELATIONSHIP!

OU4LIFE
2/10/2009, 04:03 PM
Clearly, you aren't from Elkhart.

Vaevictis
2/10/2009, 04:05 PM
Example: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123426614168167925.html?mod=testMod

Read that article, and consider the differing opinions.

Is it that there's something wrong with the plan, is it that traders are nervous because they don't have enough details, or is it that traders had unrealistic expectations about what could be accomplished and they're just now realizing it?

Who the hell knows?

OU4LIFE
2/10/2009, 04:11 PM
I get it, I'm just saying that historically speaking, when the market moves up or down directly after a big announcement, doesn't that have at least something to do with it? I'm mean, 50 years of it can't all be coincidence.

Scott D
2/10/2009, 04:13 PM
personally I blame all major drops in the market on someone not getting another hole in one.

Vaevictis
2/10/2009, 04:17 PM
I get it, I'm just saying that historically speaking, when the market moves up or down directly after a big announcement, doesn't that have at least something to do with it? I'm mean, 50 years of it can't all be coincidence.

Oh, I expect that it has something to do with it.

Mostly, I'm just being a pain in the *** because Tuba is constantly running around making post hoc arguments and claiming that they're ironclad proof.

OU4LIFE
2/10/2009, 04:21 PM
what he said.

OU4LIFE
2/10/2009, 04:23 PM
personally I blame all major drops in the market on someone not getting another hole in one.

hey pal, I've DONE my part...if the rest of you slackers that don't have one would get on the stick, we'd be out of this recession in no time.

Scott D
2/10/2009, 07:03 PM
hey pal, I've DONE my part...if the rest of you slackers that don't have one would get on the stick, we'd be out of this recession in no time.

you need to nut up and quit letting a 92 year old woman outdo you.

OU4LIFE
2/11/2009, 09:37 AM
point taken.

however for YOU that means a 92 year old woman AND a fat 41 year old man are beating you.:D

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2009, 10:08 AM
Oh, I expect that it has something to do with it.

Mostly, I'm just being a pain in the *** because Tuba is constantly running around making post hoc arguments and claiming that they're ironclad proof.

Now, if we had any historical evidence that your arguments had actually worked, you wouldn't be trashing the whole post hoc argument thingy, would you??

Libz love to ignore history & facts.