PDA

View Full Version : Car trade in

Pricetag
2/10/2009, 10:33 AM
Has anyone used the trade in calculator over at the Kelley Blue Book site to check the value of a car before trading it in at a dealership? If so, how did what they ended up offering/giving compare to what the site said?

kelster
2/10/2009, 10:40 AM
The Kelley book is a little high for this part of the world. The NADA book more closely reflects the transaction values you'll see in Oklahoma & Texas.

yermom
2/10/2009, 10:43 AM
craigslist, unless you are in a hurry

a dealer is going to so rob you otherwise

frankensooner
2/10/2009, 10:49 AM
I traded in a car once and felt raped. I kept my last possible trade in and it is nice to have an extra car.

XingTheRubicon
2/10/2009, 10:50 AM
Sell your car. Trading it in is a $1500 hit.....after you fight and claw your way there. Higher if you "lay down" with their first offer.

They are desperate right now, so if you have to trade it in, take your trade to at least 3 different dealerships. Tell them your going to 6 different dealerships and the best trade difference offer wins. If they don't like that arrangement, tell them to go **** themselves. Most of them will give you a competetive offer.

Hot Rod
2/10/2009, 11:15 AM
I happened upon a salesman who was in need for a sale for the month and after trading in my truck for $1000 less than what KBB said. I ended up talking him down more than that, and got a free hitch installed.

Good luck Tag

Pricetag
2/10/2009, 12:04 PM
I'm afraid that the time for luck has passed. I knew I got pwned/pwned myself on the deal, I was only looking for confirmation or at least some commisseration from people who had been pwned, too.

We traded in a 2005 Chevy Equinox with 60,000 miles. Kelley said $6,500 for average trade in, and NADA said $6,200. They offered $4,000, and I took it because when the chips are down, I'm a wuss. I'm the type of guy those people live for.

The price on the vehicle we got was great--I knew there wasn't going to be any talking them down there, and that they'd try to make their money on the trade in, and I still blinked. So, I guess I'm going to eat my **** sandwich and hope I can have some spine the next time around.