PDA

View Full Version : Know an IT person looking for work?

Okla-homey
2/10/2009, 09:25 AM
Prolly a good, relatively low-stress gig with good benies:

The Oklahoma Supreme Court MIS Department at the Administrative Office of the Courts has the following positions available.

Systems Administrator - SharePoint
For a detailed description of job qualifications and responsibilities, please visit our Employment Opportunities section of OSCN. Qualified candidates may send their resumes via e-mail to [email protected] Please designate the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail.

The State of Oklahoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer

OU4LIFE
2/10/2009, 10:00 AM
the people in Elkhart could use a job like this, they understand it.

yermom
2/10/2009, 10:36 AM
Sharepoint.

eww.

soonerboomer93
2/10/2009, 10:39 AM
that was my thought yermom

yermom
2/10/2009, 10:52 AM
i did not enjoy my very brief and cursory flirtation with the admin side

i really did not enjoy being a user either (under duress i might add)

of course, at the moment there isn't a computer at my house running Windows so that might have something to do with it

soonerboomer93
2/10/2009, 11:30 AM
I didn't enjoy using it all that much

but that can all be in the setup

NormanPride
2/10/2009, 11:58 AM
Sharepoint is the debbil.

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2009, 01:03 PM
There's a few open source CMS systems I can think of that are instantly better than Sharepoint.

Getem
2/10/2009, 07:02 PM
Sharepoint can be addictive for the unsophisticated IT analyst; you can put together some impressive looking stuff in a short amount of time just clicking and dragging. But just try making it do something even just a little outside of it's intended feature set. Even very simple things, like getting the structure of a list just the way you want it. You'll tear your hair out. I've spent days looking through the thousands of lines of Javascript and CSS that glue Sharepoint together. It's a wet mess.

The corporate IT decision makers absolutely LOVE Sharepoint, as it's easy to impress them with a quick presentation of it. As for people who actually have to make it work, well ask around. I can't say I hate it, but I dread the moment when someone needs me to go back into the sites I put together with it.

Okla-homey
2/10/2009, 07:41 PM
Okay, so maybe its a klunky system. It's supporting the state's court system. That ain't zackly a hyper-agile, fast-moving and technologically focused entity. Maybe its "good enough." I'll say this, whether you believe it or not, OUr state's court system has perhaps the most advanced, usable and reliable online presence in the country. If you doubt it, compare oscn.net to any other state's equivalent. It's not even close.

Now, all that said, working for the Supreme Court would have some very sweet advantages. State insurance, state retirement, lots of paid holidays, nice office, free parking, decent hours, regular raises and three weeks of paid vacation. Not to mention great job security. I mean, it ain't like they're likely to lay-off based on economic downturns. Moreover, I expect you would have access to a lot of free legal advice.;)

Getem
2/10/2009, 09:52 PM
The OSCN site does work very well. I hope to God they are not planning on moving any of it to Sharepoint.