PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning: Guest Appearance, Elizabeth Peratrovich Day

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2009, 03:41 AM
Guest Appearance cleared through appropriate channels.

Posting this almost a week early because I'm sure Homey has something planned for President's Day.

In 1998, the State of Alaska Legislature decreed that February 16th would be henceforth be designated Elizabeth Peratrovich Day in the State of Alaska. February 16th commemorates the signing into law of the first civil rights legislation in United States history.

http://www.anbgrandcamp.org/photo_lizperatavich.gif

Elizabeth Peratrovich nee Wanamaker was born July 4, 1911 in Petersburg, Alaska (otherwise known as “Little Norway”.) Peratrovich was a Tlingit (pronounced “Clink-it”) Indian. Her parents died while she was an infant and she was adopted by a Presbyterian minister and his wife.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/petersburg/psgphotocrop.jpg
Scenic Petersburg, AK

Returning to Southeast Alaska after graduating from what is now known as Western Washington University, Peratrovich’s husband Roy served four terms as mayor of Klawock.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/pow/images/island_info/klawock_aerial.jpg

Klawock, AK

When Roy decided to step down from office, he was elected head of the Alaska Native Brotherhood and the Peratroviches moved to the Territorial capitol in Juneau. On her arrival in Juneau, Peratrovich was deeply offended by rampant discrimination against Alaska Natives by local businesses. At the time, it was fairly common to see “No Natives Allowed” signs on public houses and movie theaters, and landlords openly advertised their rentals stating that they would not rent to Natives.

In 1941, Peratrovich began lobbying the Territorial Government to end legal discrimination against Alaska Natives in housing. Letter from Roy and Elizabeth Peratrovich to Governor Gruening (http://www.alaskool.org/projects/native_gov/recollections/peratrovich/Gruening_Letter.htm) Finding a sympathetic ear in Territorial Governor Ernest Gruening, the Anti-Discrimination act was introduced to the Territorial Legislature in 1943, where it was soundly defeated in the Senate (though it did pass in the House.) Debate against the bill included Senator Allen Shattuck’s question “Who are these people, barely out of savagery, who want to associate with us whites with 5,000 years of recorded civilization behind us?" and Senator Frank Whaley’s assertion that he did not want to sit next to a Native in a movie theater because they smelled bad.

http://www.library.state.ak.us/hist/cent/020-0009.jpg
Governor Gruening

However, the bill was reintroduced in 1945 and passed by a narrow margin. Peratrovich’s testimony in support of the bill is credited for swaying the crucial votes.

http://www.alaskool.org/projects/native_gov/recollections/peratrovich/Elizabeth_1.htm

"I would not have expected," Elizabeth said in a quiet steady voice, "that I, who am barely out of savagery, would have to remind gentlemen with five thousand years of recorded civilization behind them of our Bill or (sic) Rights. When my husband and I came to Juneau and sought a home in a nice neighborhood where our children could play happily with our neighbors' children, we found such a house and had arranged to lease it. When the owners learned that we were Indians, they said 'no.' Would we be compelled to live in the slums?" Her intelligence was obvious, her composure faultless. After giving a potent, neatly worded picture of discrimination against the Indians and other Native people, Mrs. Peratrovich said, "There are three kinds of persons who practice discrimination. First, the politician who wants to maintain an inferior minority group so that he can always promise them something. Second, the Mr. and Mrs. Jones who aren't quite sure of their social position and who are nice to you on one occasion and can't see you on others, depending on who they are with. Third, the great superman who believes in the superiority of the white race." Discrimination suffered by herself and her friends, President Peratrovich told the assembled body, "has forced the finest of our race to associate with white trash." There was an awesome silence in the packed hall, you could hear a pin drop.
Asked by Senator Shattuck if she thought the proposed bill would eliminate discrimination, Elizabeth Peratrovich queried in rebuttal, "Do your laws against larceny and even murder prevent those crimes? No law will eliminate crimes but at least you as legislators can assert to the world that you recognize the evil of the present situation and speak your intent to help us overcome discrimination.”
As February 16th, 1945 marked the signature of Ernest Gruening on the Anti-Discrimination Bill, the Alaska Legislature has designated February 16th as Elizabeth Peratrovich Day to mark her contribution to equal rights in Alaska.

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2009, 03:43 AM
Side note: The Peratroviches lived in Oklahoma for part of the 50s. I don't know where, exactly. I do know they moved back to Alaska before Elizabeth died.

OU4LIFE
2/10/2009, 08:09 AM
if you are taking over, you have to post the insanely early coffee club logo at the bottom.

loser.

;)

TUSooner
2/10/2009, 08:12 AM
Excellent. I never knew about this.

OU4LIFE
2/10/2009, 08:22 AM
don't encourage him.

King Crimson
2/10/2009, 08:23 AM
today is also the 30th anniversary of the revolution in Iran that overthrew the Shah.

not a criticism, mind you, just something i heard on BBC radio this AM.

TUSooner
2/10/2009, 10:30 AM
It's the feast day of St. Scholastica, an Italian saint who lived from 480 to 547, and the anniversary of the St. SCholastica Day riot or 1355. In Oxford, England, some University students were knocking back a few at the Swindlestock Tavern and made some derogatory comments about the quality of the beer. The proprietor, who was also the mayor, retorted with "stubborn and saucie language." A student threw a tankard, hitting the mayor. The mayor ran to the city church to ring the bell and summon the townspeople for help, and the students responded by calling in their own reinforcements with the university church bell. Although the students repelled the townsfolk that day, the next day, the mayor and a force of 2,000 men recruited from the countryside attacked the university. The fighting left 63 students and 30 townspeople dead.

A royal investigation found in favor of the university, and the mayor and town councilmembers were ordered to walk bareheaded through town, attend a mass, and pay 63 pence to the university (one penny for each student killed). This penance was repeated each St. Scholastica's Day, under protest, until 1825, when the mayor at that time refused to take part.