PDA

View Full Version : OU is Bored Right Now...and I'm OK With That...For Now

OUSKINS
2/9/2009, 07:23 PM
Managing an 8-day old baby girl has cut into my OU basketball internet-analysis time, so it feels good to post this rambling :)

I did manage to make it to the game on Saturday and I was pretty pleased with the crowd both in terms of size and volume. The masses have more or less responded to this team. It's not Duke, UNC, or KU, and it quite simply never will be, but I would think Capel and crew would remain pretty happy with the current turnout/interest level.

My analysis of the recent games?

OU is bored. Period.

I admit that is kind of an arrogant statement to make, but I think it is 100% true. The team is on cruise control right now. People keep telling me it's going to come back to haunt them, but I don't see it....here's why:

--Whenever we've had a bigger "stage" this year, the team has responded with their best efforts. They destroyed Texas and Baylor in what were our most "hyped" home games of the year. And even when we've slakced a bit, the team has been excellent in crunchtime. We played at about 50% for 3/4 of the A+M game, but then just dialed it up to a new level when it mattered.

--Against Coloroado, I think you need to give the Buffs a TON of credit. Talk about making some tough shots-- yes, our defense was lacking early, but in the second half, CU was simply hitting shots they never make. Once we took the 14 point lead, we went to sleep again and CU made the final score look closer than it was.

--I guess you could say it's a character flaw of this team that we've had difficulty dispatching some inferior opponents-- it would be nice to just see them go out and beat a team like CU by 30 and have the scrubs in to finish the game. But the reality is that teams are BRINGING IT when they play OU. I watch B12 basketball all the time, and I'm telling you, some of these teams are playing the games of their lives against OU. Sometimes, we're part of that problem, but mostly, we've simply seen good efforts from opposing players and coaches.

And still.......we haven't lost in conference and we're 23-1 overall. I'm simply not going to complain about that.

--I suspect we'll lose somewhere along the line in conference, and it could very well be because we don't take the game seriously enough. But another loss or two really isn't a big deal right now. We are WELL on track for a #1 seed in the Tourney and we'd really have to dip to fall off of that track.

--Patillo changes everything. I want to Taylor to continue to start, but it's already clear that Capel is going to go with Crocker, AJ, Blake, Willie, and the Chupacabra during the big moments. Patillo is an athletic freak. Adds a totally new dimension to the team.

So, for now, I'm cool with a little coasting. We don't want to peak too early. I think Capel needs to be patient and realize that early Feb. are the dog days of the college hoops season....he doesn't need to ride them too hard right now. Let them do their thing for a couple more weeks and then make sure the team is focused and energized headed into March.

Having said all that, as a fan, I'm competitive and I still want to see them do their best...and I'd LOVE to capture the #1 overall seed in the Tourney. So, don't coast TOO much fellas! :)

Half a Hundred
2/9/2009, 07:41 PM
Good analysis. It really does come down to whether Capel can get the team to realize that every game is huge in the tourney. If he does, Final Four or bust. If not, well, we might be this year's KU circa 2003-2007.

BHB 91
2/9/2009, 08:45 PM
I think we'll get a #1 seed if we are focused down the stretch, especially with Texass, KU, and MU.

Colorado absolutely played beyond their abilities and we still took care of business.

I haven't been this pumped up about OU basketball since I was in high school at Norman High when Wayman was on the team. Good times!

We have a 17 day old little girl so I know what you mean. I did manage to watch us on TV destroy our orange stepbrothers the day we got home. Was able to catch it when everyone else was napping. Here's to the little Sooners!

cheezyq
2/9/2009, 11:23 PM
--Patillo changes everything. I want to Taylor to continue to start, but it's already clear that Capel is going to go with Crocker, AJ, Blake, Willie, and the Chupacabra during the big moments. Patillo is an athletic freak. Adds a totally new dimension to the team.

Agree....and disagree. People often forget that Taylor is an athletic freak, too. I think Pattillo has a better overall game than Taylor, but he's a different kind of player than Taylor, too. Taylor is a banger who can match-up well with almost any big man...and I really think we need him out there. He tends to disappear at times, but I really think that his effort and what he brings to the team is unappreciated. He's the junkyard dawg.

Pattillo....he has an uncanny ability to be wherever the ball is. While I think Taylor has more hops, Pattillo has MUCH better timing. While I absolutely love what Pattillo brings to the table, I think Taylor is the only other productive true power forward (college-wise, not NBA-wise). Pattillo is more of a small forward, even though he CAN play in the power forward position.

The lineup I like the best involves both Griffins and Pattillo out there. Pattillo has the versatility to provide both an inside and outside presence, and allows us to get our best athletes on the floor.

But I totally agree with everything else. While the lack of effort has been frustrating at times, I've found myself not being so nervous when OU gets down, or when the game starts to get close. The ONLY game that just frustrated the heck out of me was the Tx A&M game, mainly because they just could not get a rebound to save their lives. Even then, though, I somehow figured that they would make a run and close out the game with a win....and they did. Normally I'm all gloom and doom when OU shows a lack of effort, but this team has shown that they can turn it up when necessary.

the_ouskull
2/9/2009, 11:31 PM
Threads like these will be the ones that we come back to, p*ssed-off, around the middle of March.

If this team doesn't learn to keep their foot on the gas, a better team will show them. I just hope that it doesn't happen at a bad time for us...

the_ouskull

ouwapiti
2/10/2009, 09:56 AM
i'm not much on polls BUT....how many of you guys think we can beat teams like duke, clemson, pitt etc etc?????.....i'm thinking we can play with them but i'm afraid the lack of consistent guard play is gonna be our achilles..........the emergence of pattillo has been encouraging to say the least though.........on another note, i live in texas, have dish tv and cant or dont know how to get, the big 12 network....hence, i've missed a couple of games here lately...is big 12 network part of espn fullcourt?????

soonervegas
2/10/2009, 10:32 AM
In terms of March Madness I am more concerned with the round of 32 game than I am with a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 Matchup.

In terms of conference play, I would be all over Baylor tomorrow if they hadn't been playing so bad. I think OU will be awake so to speak for UT, Mizzou, and Kansas.....so I don't see where we are going to "learn a lesson ala Arkansas" if we get past Baylor tomorrow night. Maybe we get shocked in the semi-finals of the Big 12 or something and go into the NCAA Po'd. It wouldn't crush me as a fan....I'll be honest.

NormanPride
2/10/2009, 10:40 AM
I think we can play with the big boys out there, mostly because our perimeter D has been so good. It's nice to have a guard like AJ who can almost shut down the other team's best guard. Our post D improved tremendously with the addition of Patillo, and that's another key to winning games. We have enough O and enough D and way too much balance for anyone to shut down.

As for being bored, I can see it in the team's play. They take their keys from Blake, and he's just not pumped up to play against teams whose only post defense is kicking him in the shins.

stoopified
2/10/2009, 01:53 PM
The cruise contral analogy is exactly correct.I almost think we need a wakeup loss like SFA last year to get us razor-sharp again.

the_ouskull
2/10/2009, 07:27 PM
In terms of March Madness I am more concerned with the round of 32 game than I am with a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 Matchup.

Maybe we get shocked in the semi-finals of the Big 12 or something and go into the NCAA Po'd. It wouldn't crush me as a fan....I'll be honest.

Yeah, what they said.

the_ouskull

cjames317
2/11/2009, 01:37 PM
i'm not much on polls BUT....how many of you guys think we can beat teams like duke, clemson, pitt etc etc?????.....i'm thinking we can play with them but i'm afraid the lack of consistent guard play is gonna be our achilles..........the emergence of pattillo has been encouraging to say the least though.........on another note, i live in texas, have dish tv and cant or dont know how to get, the big 12 network....hence, i've missed a couple of games here lately...is big 12 network part of espn fullcourt?????

Depending upon your internet provider, you may have free access to ESPN360.com, which provides a live broadcast via broadband. Tonight's game is on the schedule.

MojoRisen
2/12/2009, 12:40 PM

FOx Sports package - gets me 99% of OU Games Basketball and Football when not covered on a major network. 30$

MOJO