PDA

View Full Version : Most Stacked Oklahoma DLINE, ever?

JLEW1818
2/9/2009, 08:44 AM
(no order)
2009 D-Line Roster

(No order)

Frank Alexander.....DE......Sophomore
Jeremy Beal...........DE.......Junior
Auston English.......DE.......Senior
Adrian Taylor..........DE.....Junior
David King.............DE......Sophomore
R.J. Washington.......DE..... RS Freshman
Stacy McGee.............DT....RS Freshman (I think he did, let me know)
Gerald McCoy.............DT....RS Junior
DeMarcus Granger......DT......Senior
Cordero Moore.......DT..........Senior
Casey Walker.........DT..........RS Freshman (Maybe)

New guys
Jamarkus McFarland.....DT (Freshman)
Justin Chaisson............DE (Freshman) He is a Las Vegas boy, we need to keep those guys coming, Reynolds, D Murray.

Best DLINE, talent wise?

auto
2/9/2009, 09:23 AM
The Selmons, the days of Dusty and Tommie. This one looks good, but the best???

JLEW1818
2/9/2009, 10:01 AM
guess we just gotta wait and see, the others were great too, but I think as far as depth goes, this group could take it.

SoonersEnFuego
2/9/2009, 10:30 AM
Depth-wise, possibly.

Sooner04
2/9/2009, 10:49 AM
I'll take 1973.

TopDawg
2/9/2009, 10:57 AM
Depth-wise, this one is stout. I don't know much about the depth of the 73 line, but I do know they were so outstanding, they didn't need much depth. Just force 'em to go 3-and-out all day long and you don't need to go two-deep.

Sooner04
2/9/2009, 11:07 AM
I have a tough time believing any OU D-line could ever top a group that sported "Selmon-Selmon-Selmon" up the middle.

That being said, the '85 line of Murphy, Tupper, Casillas, Bryan and Reed was pretty incredible. Back those guys up with the Williams boys and Troy Johnson and HO-LEE ****!

boomermagic
2/9/2009, 11:21 AM
The 73 DL was so awesome it should have been outlawed but the depth and talent we have now ain't bad either.. The dl will not be a weak point in our defense in 09..

TopDawg
2/9/2009, 11:29 AM
I have a tough time believing any OU D-line could ever top a group that sported "Selmon-Selmon-Selmon" up the middle.

That being said, the '85 line of Murphy, Tupper, Casillas, Bryan and Reed was pretty incredible. Back those guys up with the Williams boys and Troy Johnson and HO-LEE ****!

When I saw that you had replied to this thread, I thought you were going to be giving props to that 85 line. Pretty awesome group there, too.

The Remnant
2/9/2009, 12:43 PM
Just having this discussion lifts my spirits.

ouleaf
2/9/2009, 12:47 PM
Have to see what some of the newer guys can do in the game (Washington, King, McGee) first. I'm guessing Chiasson will Red Shirt. Does anyone know if McFarland will?

hopefully we can rotate guys in/out every series or two. There should be very little reason for the line to be tired at the end of the game next year if all these guys get meaningful snaps all season long.

MojoRisen
2/9/2009, 01:12 PM
I think Chiasson and McFarland redshirt, unless someone comes in like Tommie Harris.

If we have 3 All Americans on the DL, it maybe the best.... We will see what RJ Washington can do, BEAL and Alexander could be All American Level, English has the potential and I thik Adrian Taylor has the potential.

McCoy will be All America

Granger too me was the best when healthy - but that could be argued. I wonder if he is going to be back even at 90% level??? I hope so

If he is and RJ is anything like he is predicted to be- this could be the best... Did we ever have 3 All Americans at the same time in the DLINE? I am not sure.

rainiersooner
2/9/2009, 01:20 PM
If McFarland's as good as predicted, I bet he gets in the rotation right away - in anticipation of him leaving 3 years after high school (that's IF he's as good as advertised of course).

Next year's D is going to be salty, nasty, and good!!!

soonerfan28
2/9/2009, 02:01 PM
I wasn't born until 1980 but I would have to say that any line that had 3 Selmon's on it would be the best we ever had. McFarland plays because we lack depth at DT. I think Stacy McGee will eventually be a great DT for us but he lacks the size(weight) that we need at this point. If he gains another 30 lbs between now and fall camp then he'll play ahead of McFarland and McFarland will redshirt.

DE-English & Washington or Davis
DT-McCoy & Granger
DT-Taylor & McGee or McFarland
DE-Beal & Alexander

ouleaf
2/9/2009, 03:10 PM
I wonder if Venables will experiment any in the off season with some 3-4 schemes. He kind of did this year with Beal up at the line, but not always right in a down stance. Have McCoy, Granger, and Taylor on the line, and then mix up who blitzes from the OLB spot.

Sooner04
2/9/2009, 03:32 PM
Seriously, you're a quarterback in 1973. You step up under center for the first play from scrimmage and see this from your left to right:

Elrod, Selmon, Selmon, Selmon, Baccus.

Do you p i s s and THEN **** yourself? Or is it simultaneous?

Collier11
2/9/2009, 04:09 PM
If McFarland's as good as predicted, I bet he gets in the rotation right away - in anticipation of him leaving 3 years after high school (that's IF he's as good as advertised of course).

Next year's D is going to be salty, nasty, and good!!!

Mccoy didnt I dont think, I doubt Mcfarland does with that depth

humblesooner
2/9/2009, 04:13 PM
Seriously, you're a quarterback in 1973. You step up under center for the first play from scrimmage and see this from your left to right:

Elrod, Selmon, Selmon, Selmon, Baccus.

Do you p i s s and THEN **** yourself? Or is it simultaneous?

This reminded me of a conversation I had with Brent Blackman several years ago. I used to work with him. I believe he was at OSU in 1973. I'm not positive, but I think it was Rod Shoate he was talking about, but basically he did exactly what you described. He walked up to the line, saw RS, and his comment was "Oh, ****".

BoulderSooner79
2/9/2009, 05:06 PM
This reminded me of a conversation I had with Brent Blackman several years ago. I used to work with him. I believe he was at OSU in 1973. I'm not positive, but I think it was Rod Shoate he was talking about, but basically he did exactly what you described. He walked up to the line, saw RS, and his comment was "Oh, ****".

We've been blessed at OU with many great LBs, but Rod Shoate was the most explosive hitter of them all, IMO. He took full advantage of playing behind those Selmon led D-lines and would often come flying in unblocked. I thought the biggest falloff from that undeated '74 team and the once beaten '75 squad was losing Shoate to the NFL.

KingDavid
2/10/2009, 02:54 AM
As good as the depth might seem, we still have major questions to answer in the four man rotation at defensive tackle . . . especially if Demarcus Granger's bad back proves to be his undoing (as is often the case for a run-stopper like Granger where leverage is everything).

Other comments:

Given the history of what it takes to avoid a RS year at DT (note: Harris played his first year, but even McCoy red-shirted), I don't think we should expect to see MacFarland until next year.

Chaisson WANTS to play DE but he'd do himself a favor to get over that desire and shift inside where he'll have more opportunity for early playing time (next year - he's a sure-fire RS, too).

Assuming that Granger does return to lock down the 3rd slot in a four man rotation, that leaves Steven McGee, Cordero Moore, Pryce Macon, and Casey Walker to duke it out for the fourth slot. My money is on Steven McGee.

Blitzkrieg
2/10/2009, 04:55 PM
The old video of Lee Roy busting through the line so fast the QB hasn't handed the ball off to the fullback yet should answer this. Selmon just stuck both arms out and sacked both players in one motion.

boomermagic
2/11/2009, 09:46 AM
I don't think Mcfarland will get a shirt... He is good and in this day and time you don't get to keep the good ones very long..

MojoRisen
2/11/2009, 10:28 AM
You would be surprised what one year of eating 6-8K Calories and working out non stop will do for someone.

He may have a big ceiling, but I would not assume he is ready to over take any of the other guys who have been in Schmitty's program for at least a year.

soonerfan28
2/11/2009, 12:27 PM
As good as the depth might seem, we still have major questions to answer in the four man rotation at defensive tackle . . . especially if Demarcus Granger's bad back proves to be his undoing (as is often the case for a run-stopper like Granger where leverage is everything).

Other comments:

Given the history of what it takes to avoid a RS year at DT (note: Harris played his first year, but even McCoy red-shirted), I don't think we should expect to see MacFarland until next year.

Chaisson WANTS to play DE but he'd do himself a favor to get over that desire and shift inside where he'll have more opportunity for early playing time (next year - he's a sure-fire RS, too).

Assuming that Granger does return to lock down the 3rd slot in a four man rotation, that leaves Steven McGee, Cordero Moore, Pryce Macon, and Casey Walker to duke it out for the fourth slot. My money is on Steven McGee.

You mean Stacy McGee? Stephen McGee QB'd at Texas A&M.

Rhino
2/11/2009, 02:27 PM
Yikes. I actually think we're going to be thin at DT -- REALLY thin if Granger doesn't make it back.

I'd take the Selmon line too. The 2003 line is probably in the running for second stoutest OU D-line:
Cody/Birdine
Klein/Dvoracek
Harris/McGruder
Jackson/Thibodeaux

Scott D
2/11/2009, 02:45 PM
Yikes. I actually think we're going to be thin at DT -- REALLY thin if Granger doesn't make it back.

I'd take the Selmon line too. The 2003 line is probably in the running for second stoutest OU D-line:
Cody/Birdine
Klein/Dvoracek
Harris/McGruder
Jackson/Thibodeaux

damn you for leaving early Jimmy Wilkerson! ;)