PDA

View Full Version : Teen-proof snack food?

ouwasp
2/8/2009, 09:20 PM
Is there such a thing?
I have 15 yr old twins, a boy and girl. Like most kids, they and their friends graze from the pantry/fridge, nothing new there, part of the deal.

So I thought I had them whipped when it came to always having some of MY food available: Grapefruit juice and Flamin' Hot Cheetos... I could always count on that being unmolested and thus there for me to eat. No matter what else was devoured, MY food was safe.

Well, the grapefruit juice is still safe. But in the last month or so, my cheetos don't even have a chance to approach stale; poof they're gone. <sigh>

I mean, it's not like I really need to eat more, you know. But now my comfort food has been discovered by my son and his buds. :(

Any suggestions for something I could eat that they won't like?

olevetonahill
2/8/2009, 09:42 PM
Cauliflower

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/8/2009, 09:46 PM
Rice cakes. Think styrofoam but without the aftertaste (or before/during taste)

soonerbrat
2/8/2009, 10:32 PM
prunes

A Sooner in Texas
2/8/2009, 10:33 PM
I've written about this before, but Haagen Daz Reserve Amazon Chocolate is so dark and intense my 15-y.o. son won't touch it. All for me...and oh, so very, very good.
I know exactly where you're coming from. My pantry, freezer and fridge are packed to the gills, but we still "have nothing to eat. " Poor abused child.

1890MilesToNorman
2/8/2009, 10:48 PM
Put the stuff you like in the trunk of your car!! When there 16 bury it in the back yard. When there 25 give them a grocery list and loan them your car.

Chuck Bao
2/8/2009, 10:54 PM
Almonds and dried anchovies mix is a good snack and my teenage nieces won't touch it.

How about pickled okra?

You could visit an Asian speciality store and find a lot of wonderful stuff that they won't try.

Dried papaya or durian chips
Spicy fried seaweed sheets
Wasabe flavored nuts
Curry flavored fried baby crabs

DrZaius
2/9/2009, 10:12 AM
Pigs feet

or anything in a clear gallon jar soaking in pink liquid.

Mjcpr
2/9/2009, 10:17 AM
Almonds and dried anchovies mix is a good snack and my teenage nieces won't touch it.

How about pickled okra?

You could visit an Asian speciality store and find a lot of wonderful stuff that they won't try.

Dried papaya or durian chips
Spicy fried seaweed sheets
Wasabe flavored nuts
Curry flavored fried baby crabs

Even Andrew Zimmern won't touch durian.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/9/2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah. And he eats buttholes.

Vaevictis
2/9/2009, 10:20 AM
Kippers.

Oldnslo
2/9/2009, 10:33 AM
I have two options for you. First, go with only fruits and veggies in the fridge. That way, it sucks for everyone. :)

Option two: The Office. As in, keep the Really Good Stuff there. I have a Sam's-size bag of Dove Chocolates in the credenza. wait a second. mmmmmm. there's one less now.

SoonersEnFuego
2/9/2009, 10:37 AM
Take the bag out of a bisquik box or something and replace it with your favorite snack. There's no chance in hell they would expend the energy to try to make something from bisquik.

yermom
2/9/2009, 10:40 AM
brilliant!

Chuck Bao
2/9/2009, 10:50 AM
Even Andrew Zimmern won't touch durian.

The dried durian chips aren't half bad. They eliminate the glumpiness of durian fruit. My problem with the so-call King of Fruits is the cheese like texture (and taste) and it is really rich and you should only eat a little and there is a lot of it in one fruit. The only way I'll eat a little dab of fresh durian is with coconut milk over some sticky rice and then it is really, really good.

Fresh papayas make me hurl.

Pricetag
2/9/2009, 11:04 AM
My grandpa used to keep head cheese in the fridge because it was the only thing my dad wouldn't eat.

Chuck Bao
2/9/2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah. And he eats buttholes.

Buttholes on a stick. That's probably not a normal snack unless you are on the streets in Bangkok or somewhere else in the third world. They skewer and grill about eight chicken butt muscles on one stick. The only eww factor for me is that it is chewy. And, you can say the same thing for tripe - chewy.

Hot Rod
2/9/2009, 11:26 AM
Pigs feet

SoonersEnFuego
2/9/2009, 02:36 PM
brilliant!
Thank you, thank you...

Preservation Parcels
2/9/2009, 02:55 PM
Just keep extra on hand. Having the house where everyone feels welcome and comfortable is worth any amount of snacks or dinners.

Mjcpr
2/9/2009, 03:02 PM
http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/debbie-downer-lottery.jpg

SoonersEnFuego
2/9/2009, 04:07 PM
http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/debbie-downer-lottery.jpg
Heh, for real.

With Teenagers in the house, there is no such thing as extra.

ouwasp
2/9/2009, 04:38 PM
Take the bag out of a bisquik box or something and replace it with your favorite snack. There's no chance in hell they would expend the energy to try to make something from bisquik.

Yes, I believe we have a winner here :) ......if anything, it'll make the flamin hot cheetos taste even better. Don't worry, you softies, I'll always have plenty of chips and the like for the kids. No fruit though. Yuck. That stuff is my wife's dept...

Viking Kitten
2/9/2009, 05:06 PM
Delicious deep-fried spiders, anyone?

http://cellar.org/2002/friedspiders.jpg

Viking Kitten
2/9/2009, 05:07 PM
Nom nom nom!

http://blogs.bootsnall.com/llew/files/2008/07/imgp0756.JPG

Oldnslo
2/9/2009, 05:29 PM
I understand spider tastes like crab. For realz.

soonerboomer93
2/9/2009, 06:00 PM
pee gee will be negging people in this thread

Viking Kitten
2/9/2009, 06:08 PM
What what WHAT??? PG doesn't like yellow teef and nose hair?

soonerbrat
2/10/2009, 01:08 PM
Just keep extra on hand. Having the house where everyone feels welcome and comfortable is worth any amount of snacks or dinners.

obviously you don't have teenagers at home. or if you do, your house is not "it" when it comes to hanging out.