PDA

View Full Version : Why do I like fried chicken so much more in theory, than in practice?

royalfan5
2/8/2009, 08:12 PM
Granted the quality of fried chicken in Nebraska is going to be kind of sketchy anyway, but every so often I get excited about having fried chicken. But then I always go away underwhelmed. Perhaps it is because when I was younger my mom never made fried chicken because years of chicken butchering made her loathe chicken, and it seemed like an exotic treat, so my expectations are too high?

bri
2/8/2009, 08:13 PM
Could be. It could also be because most fried chicken just tastes like crispy grease.

JohnnyMack
2/8/2009, 09:32 PM
In before someone says something about Eischen's.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/8/2009, 10:08 PM
gotta know how to cook it right

Chuck Bao
2/8/2009, 11:39 PM
The best fried chicken that I've ever tried is on the streets of Bangkok. They have propane gas stoves built in a cart and fry the chicken in a wok. They get the grease super hot and throw medium-sized drum sticks in for only a few minutes.

It is like biting into an apple. You bite in and juice goes everywhere. Of course, the juice is liquified chicken fat and you are first tasting the deep-fried chicken skin first, then the juicing meat and it all taste so good. But, you've not doing your body any favors. Can't you say that for most good tasting foods? Okay, it is probably better to stay with the apple.

Oldnslo
2/9/2009, 10:37 AM
AQ Chicken in Springdale Arkansas. Yes, it's worth the trip. You're welcome.

King Crimson
2/9/2009, 10:40 AM
stroud's in kansas city is good. though, last time i went it was a little disappointing. there's a famous place in Chapel Hill i've been to that was a little on the disappointing side.

soonerboomer93
2/9/2009, 12:00 PM
I used to get a double fried chicken in korea that was delicious. They'd do an initial fry on it to cook the chicken, then later on fry it for about 4 minutes right when you ordered it.

I really though, have grown away. I don't like a lot of breading on my chicken, i prefer it closer to kfc original recipe. Too much breading gets in the way of my chicken.

soonermix
2/9/2009, 12:20 PM
mmmmmmmm....

fried chicken......

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SouthFortySooner
2/9/2009, 12:31 PM
I'm with the, "its gotta be done right" group. My mamma's was a deep red crispy. I miss it. :(

GottaHavePride
2/10/2009, 01:05 AM
Fry yer own dang chicken.

You need a DEEP cast-iron skillet. Any other pan = fail.

TUSooner
2/10/2009, 10:07 AM
Could be. It could also be because most fried chicken just tastes like crispy grease.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :confused:

TUSooner
2/10/2009, 10:16 AM
There's a one-pff place called Chubbies a few block from my house that makes the best FC this side of my dear departed paternal-grandmother. But Chubbies is never open when I really need it to be. :(

A now-defunct lunch place in downtown NO called the Natchez House used to make an awesome FC that was somehow saturated with garlic, in the best possible way. It made you want to lick the grease off your elbows, or somebody else's. On Tuesdays (FC day) the place was packed with all sorts of people from paint-stained laborers to filthy-rich lawyers and judges. The world got worse when that place closed.

1890MilesToNorman
2/10/2009, 10:23 AM
I loves me some fried chicken but it don't love me, maybe once a year. I almost cooked some yesterday because of this thread but didn't. Chicken fried steak is awesome too but same thing, it don't like me. :(

swardboy
2/10/2009, 01:04 PM
Farmer & preacher sitting on porch after huge fried-chicken lunch. Cocky rooster in front of them starts crowing obnoxiously.
"Why's that rooster crowing so much at noontime?" asked the preacher.
"Why, you'd crow too if you'd put as many sons in the ministry as he has," said the farmer.......

soonerinabilene
2/10/2009, 05:27 PM
Fry yer own dang chicken.

You need a DEEP cast-iron skillet. Any other pan = fail.

What he said. And i miss Rex's.

Ace
2/10/2009, 10:20 PM
God, I love fried chicken...once a year rule is unfortunately a good idea though. And not KFC...that crap is crap. Eischen's...my Mom's, etc...

Sucks when everything you eat turns into a math problem of how much time at the gym will this require.

8timechamps
2/10/2009, 10:22 PM
In before someone says something about Eischen's.

Best there is.