PDA

View Full Version : Ray Willis Suspended.

soonerfan28
2/8/2009, 05:55 PM
I just read this in the Tulsa World and wanted to know if anybody knew why.

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2009, 05:57 PM
Say it ain't so Gamma Ray!?

Salt City Sooner
2/8/2009, 06:01 PM
DUI.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?tab=ou&subjectID=92&articleid=20090208_92_0_NORMAN573459

sooner518
2/8/2009, 08:15 PM
yeesh. hes out partying at 3 AM the night before they have a game that starts the next afternoon at 12:30........ its not like he was gonna play, but still....just dumb.

add on the fact that driving drunk is just inherently and obviously dumb.

Boomer.....
2/9/2009, 08:39 AM
I heard that he was just sitting in a car drinking a beer and not driving but still a total lapse in judgment 9 hours before a game.

NormanPride
2/9/2009, 11:02 AM
Ugh. Well, kids make dumb moves all the time. I know I did! Let's just hope he learns from it and doesn't blame others for his mistakes. We need him in the future!

Bruiser53
2/9/2009, 11:58 AM
My buddy is his RA at the athletes dorms and let's just say, like Mike Phelps, Ray Ray is no stranger to the herb. Hopefully he can get things turned around. Remember he was also involved at the stabbing earlier this year.

soonerfan28
2/9/2009, 01:49 PM
I would've thought he would've learned after getting stabbed. Maybe Frank Alexander needs to smack some sense into Willis.

badger
2/9/2009, 02:02 PM
DUI's are sad, scary business. I fully support the decision to suspend him if this truly is the allegation at hand to give the kid time to think about what he's done... even if he's not sitting in a corner or whatever.

MojoRisen
2/9/2009, 06:25 PM
Did he get a DUI or a ticket for underage drinking? Either way suspension is in order since it was 9 hours before game time.

It would just be a lot better for the kid if he wasn't sitting in the car with the heat on or something... getting charged with a DUI

OUSKINS
2/9/2009, 07:10 PM
I do not claim to know any of the facts here, but what we DO know is that in his short tenure at OU, Willis has already been involved in two incidents that involved the police. He was apparantly an innocent bystander in the stabbing case, but it still probably points to a bit of poor judgement for a freshmen to be in that situation.

I'd say he is on VERY thin ice as far as his career at OU is concerned. He's not getting any minutes right now anyway, and we have a very, very strong class coming in next year. Capel and company have better things to do than spend their time developing a kid who can't stay out of trouble. Don't mean to sound harsh, and I hope he gets his act together, but he better figure it out quick or he will be a total afterthought.

soonerfan28
2/9/2009, 09:22 PM
If he screws up again then Capel will be using his scholarship for someone else.

Overtime
2/10/2009, 01:36 AM
If he screws up again then Capel will be using his scholarship for someone else.

Yeah hopefully there will be some more top guards in the 2010 class, 2009 is pretty heavy with big men.

I hope that Pledger guy works out. I've noticed a theme among the evaluations of our recruiting class: they all "don't possess great quickness or athleticism, but play efficiently and have a high basketball IQ," or have good hands and effort, or something to that effect. That describes Pledger (SG), Fitzgerald (PF), Hardrick (PF), and Gallon (C, so not a surprise). It just bugs me a little bit that the scouts say the same thing about all the guys we're bringing in - except for Mason-Griffin, who seems pretty awesome, short but both quick and powerful.

Well anyway, I'm sure Capel knows what he's doing. And we'll still have the Chupacabra to jump around. But no more Taylor and maybe no more Blake.

Anyway, back to guards, I hope Willis gets his act together because he seems to be very energetic and a talented scorer, and should be great as he matures. If not, we just have to hope nobody above him gets hurt, and he can drop out and go party all he wants.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/23/2009, 10:24 PM
i was just wondering why does willis get to sit on the bench with the team during his supension? doesnt seem like much of a punishment if he is still with the team and at the games sitting on the bench (he was already doing that but just wearing a jersey).