PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm, that's bitterness you can drizzle on pancakes

bri
2/6/2009, 09:59 PM
Seattle fans renting buses to go to Thunder/T'Blazers game in Portland and boo both teams (http://dimemag.com/2009/02/good-for-them/)

Awesome. Sh*t like this makes me wish you guys could steal their team again. I'm sick of those hippie bitches and coffee junkies trying to act like they're the first city to ever lose a team in the history of EVAR.

When the Thunder plays at Portland next week, some Seattle fans, miffed that their NBA team moved to Oklahoma City, plan to attend the Feb. 11 game at the Rose Garden. The vocal Save Our Sonics group said it has secured blocks of tickets so members “can boo both teams” at a discounted price. The group has rented shuttle buses for the 170-mile trip. Save Our Sonics leaders are planning an even bigger trip when the Thunder returns to Portland on April 13.

Sooner98
2/6/2009, 10:32 PM
That's it. We're coming after the Mariners next.

bri
2/6/2009, 10:34 PM
Heh. GIT 'EM!!

Sooner LockJaw
2/8/2009, 06:51 PM
Biggest bunch a sore losers I've ever seen..........
Can't wait til they get another team to *not* support so that then our guys can go up there and give'em even more to cry & be depressed about besides their gloomy-a#$ weather!:D :D :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/9/2009, 09:25 AM
Too bad they didn't travel that well when they actually had the team.

Idiots.

Dio
2/9/2009, 01:23 PM
That bus trip's not being put together by someone calling themselves "Supersonic Bob", is it?

bri
2/9/2009, 01:28 PM
Holy sh*t, that is greatness. :D

Collier11
2/9/2009, 02:31 PM
Biggest bunch a sore losers I've ever seen..........
Can't wait til they get another team to *not* support so that then our guys can go up there and give'em even more to cry & be depressed about besides their gloomy-a#$ weather!:D :D :D

Not even close, look at Cleveland Browns fans. I was in Seattle for the uw game and I can honestly tell you that 99% of Seattle people couldnt care less.

Ton Loc
2/9/2009, 04:57 PM
Bunch o bitches. Most people in Seattle could care less. They have more important things to worry about. What with Seattle's getting slammed by the economy an all.

GrapevineSooner
2/12/2009, 10:50 PM
Put it this way, those same fans were selling out Safeco Field when their Mariners were winning 116 games in 2001.

Last year?

http://sachlebendata.tripod.com/seattle-2008.jpg

Notice all those empty seats in the upper deck and even in the club section?

For any Seattle fans that might accidentally stumble upon this thread from, say, a Google search, I'm going to make this as succinct as I possibly can.

You lost your team because they had a sh**ty lease at Key Arena. I don't care how much you love your team, your owner can't make the team viable by losing $20 million a season.

bri
2/13/2009, 12:15 AM
And also, Seattle fans suck 'cause they still use Tripod.

Mixer!
2/14/2009, 10:07 AM
Heh.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090213_Thunder.jpg

:D

BigRedJed
2/19/2009, 05:56 PM
Dammit. Beat me to it. That kid's dad is the former marketing director of the Supersonics, BTW. Maybe if he'd done a better job putting asses in seats and rallying support for an arena deal he wouldn't be working for a WNBA team right now.

bri
2/19/2009, 06:05 PM
Maybe if his best attempt at marking the Supersonics wasn't having his monkey-looking spawn hold a sh*tty poster in an attempt at sympathy, they'd still have their team.

Sooner04
2/25/2009, 03:31 PM
The Sonics didn't move because of a lack of support. They moved because of a "bad" lease with Key Arena and a sweetheart, behind-the-scenes, deal between Schultz, Bennett and the mayor's office. Bashing the fans of the Seattle Supersonics is folly because that team was well supported.

Why don't you look up the attendance figures from the two-year dance with the Tacoma Dome in the mid-90s and tell me that there wasn't a passionate following for the Supersonics up there.

The team was stolen. I'm happy for Oklahoma City and our state, but it sucks for my team. I'm a huge NBA fan, but I will never buy a ticket to watch the Oklahoma City Thunder. EVER.

badger
2/25/2009, 03:36 PM
Heh.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090213_Thunder.jpg

:D

Sonic-shaded green square coming your way, Mixer!

With all possible due disrespect and disregard to the Seattle sports world, they have had a gawd-awful year there and we have had the cardinal opposite in all of Oklahoma. Plus, their job market is on the downswing when their longest-term newspaper is going under and their largest monopoly on job talent, Microsoft, is even cutting now too.

When NP and I went to Seattle for the OU-Warsh game, I held a pocket-size camera up in the tailgating area and asked all the Huskies about the Thunder. Sometime, I'll post the video here.

Ton Loc
2/25/2009, 05:25 PM
The Sonics didn't move because of a lack of support. They moved because of a "bad" lease with Key Arena and a sweetheart, behind-the-scenes, deal between Schultz, Bennett and the mayor's office. Bashing the fans of the Seattle Supersonics is folly because that team was well supported.

Why don't you look up the attendance figures from the two-year dance with the Tacoma Dome in the mid-90s and tell me that there wasn't a passionate following for the Supersonics up there.

The team was stolen. I'm happy for Oklahoma City and our state, but it sucks for my team. I'm a huge NBA fan, but I will never buy a ticket to watch the Oklahoma City Thunder. EVER.

Dude, you live in Ardmore. You should be pumped, your favorite team now lives down the street.

Mixer!
2/25/2009, 07:39 PM

Maybe if (some of) they didn't bash OKC, the State, and her citizens with such childish zeal, I might actually give a goody-***-damned about them losing their team.

starclassic tama
2/25/2009, 08:11 PM
doubt it. who cares? the team wasn't well supported the past 2 years, that much is for sure. they averaged around 6k a night, which is really bad. pro sports franchises move to greener pastures, it happens. they just can't swallow that oklahoma city is a greener pasture for the sonics, because they are so much smarter and better than us in every which way. hopefully the thunder never do the same to us.

Sooner04
2/25/2009, 09:14 PM
I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong. In their last two years in Seattle, the Supersonics averaged 14,655 a night. That's nearly 86% capacity.

starclassic tama
2/25/2009, 09:41 PM
hmmm maybe it was the hornets in the season pre-katrina where i heard that figure. still about 5k less then what they are averaging here. this is the first year though, but i think OKC will keep it up if for no other reason than nothing else to do on a given night...

badger
2/25/2009, 10:44 PM
I would like to make it clear that I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, but here's the number crunching - attendance rank (out of 30) in the NBA, total attendance, average attendance per game (total of 41 games for all teams):

2007-08: 28 Seattle 547,556 13,355
2006-07: 25 Seattle 654,163 15,955
2005-06: 23 Seattle 664,157 16,198
2004-05: 21 Seattle 675,490 16,475
2003-04: 23 Seattle 625,474 15,255
2002-03: 20 Seattle 637,194 15,541

I know the Thunder is/are OKC's new toy, but here are the numbers for this season as of 30 home games:

2008-09: 12 Oklahoma City 557,939 18,597

And if you're interested, the Hornets when we had them on loan (total of 41 games per season for all teams):

2006-07: 15 NO/Oklahoma City 731,165 17,833
2005-06: 11 New Orleans 744,920 18,168

Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2009) is a link to all attendance figures.

Personally, I don't think attendance was the main factor in Seattle leaving. I think there was a key factor in the move other than butts in seats.