PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Capel...

oumartin
2/6/2009, 05:40 PM
I find myself worrying on a daily basis that this guy is gonna get some serious job offers after this year and any year beyond that if he stays at Oklahoma.

I don't know what the top coaches in the game make but I would like to see Joe C. offer Capel enough that Capel wants to make OU a real basketball powerhouse.

I think Capel has all the tools to do it. He is obviously a great recruiter and to me seems to be one of the top teachers and x's and o's guy in the biz.

I think Capel has done a tremendous job and does it with integrity.(cough)

Who's with me? Lets pay him enough where he doesn't even wanna look at any other schools!!!

Sooner04
2/6/2009, 06:12 PM
Dude, you're the only one who continually talks about the possibility of Capel leaving. The success and base he has built here will make him a very rich man here.

Don't worry about. We're built to last.

oumartin
2/6/2009, 06:16 PM
Well I wanna be built to last with him leading the program! :)

I hope they make him richer pretty darn quick!

Spray
2/6/2009, 06:33 PM
You know, as much **** as Joe C. takes on this board for horsepigs and ticket prices and basically sucking the fun out of life, the one thing he has done is what every school wants out of a high paid AD- hit ****ing home runs when it comes to hiring and keeping coaches. He's 2 for 2 in hoops and football (Stoops, Capel)- I'm sure Joe C. will do what is necessary... or hit another ****ing home run.

John Kochtoston
2/6/2009, 11:11 PM
Money won't be the issue.

rainiersooner
2/7/2009, 02:46 AM
Money is ALWAYS an issue; if there's enough money it becomes THE issue. Let's pay him and keep him here.

soonervegas
2/7/2009, 10:28 AM
I think he goes directly from here to Duke if anything. At this point Duke would be insane not to make him candidate #1......but I still think Coach K has a good 8-10 in him.

the_ouskull
2/7/2009, 10:44 AM
Money won't be the issue. In two years, Capel will be able to write his own check; here OR elsewhere, for most openings. I think he'll choose here until he gets the Godfather offer from somewhere else, and, since we can compete, financially with any other school, I think we'll be fine.

the_ouskull

IronHorseSooner
2/7/2009, 11:34 AM
The thing with Coach Capel that helps him with this year's team is that he was a Dukie. He knows what it's like to be the hunted and get everybody's best shot. That's why I think we will win the Big XII and get to the Final 4. Look for us to be a powerhouse for a while. His incoming class is Top 5. He might be trying to establish a Duke-like program in Norman. It is great to be a Sooner!!!

John Kochtoston
2/7/2009, 08:07 PM
Money is ALWAYS an issue; if there's enough money it becomes THE issue. Let's pay him and keep him here.

When I say money won't be an issue, I mean OU will do just fine in any bidding wars.

the_ouskull
2/8/2009, 12:29 AM
Yep. They'll just mail out the donation envelopes with the word "football" crossed out, and "athletic department" written in it's place. It's ingenious.

I think that, as long as it's about money, we're good. When Capel starts thinking of home, etc... and wanting to go back to ACC country, money won't be the difference, because, by then, like I said earlier, he'll be able to write his own check almost anywhere... not just at OU. I think that we've got him for a while, folks. I'm excited about it, too. I just wish that we had a Harry Caray-type announcer for games.

the_ouskull

SoonerinSouthlake
2/8/2009, 11:16 AM
Money wont be the issue for OU....but there is a bigger issue.

Capel doesnt like the fact that OU is a football first school

When the right school that leans Hoops calls, and offers the right money..he will beam out of here like Capt Kirk

the_ouskull
2/8/2009, 11:43 AM
Never happen. Not with the power of positive thinking that most Sooner fans are known for...

the_ouskull

ouleaf
2/8/2009, 09:56 PM
Unless Duke knocks on his door, which wouldn't even be a possibility until Coach K calls it quits, I think he is pretty happy with where he is at. OU will definitely take care of him after this year and should be able to lock him up for a good long while. Coach Capel has re-established a solid program here, and I don't think he will want to walk away from that at the moment.

tommieharris91
2/8/2009, 10:52 PM
Unless Duke knocks on his door, which wouldn't even be a possibility until Coach K calls it quits, I think he is pretty happy with where he is at. OU will definitely take care of him after this year and should be able to lock him up for a good long while. Coach Capel has re-established a solid program here, and I don't think he will want to walk away from that at the moment.

This.

Money wont be the issue for OU....but there is a bigger issue.

When the right school that leans Hoops calls, and offers the right money..he will beam out of here like Capt Kirk

Not this. If this were true, top recruits would not want to come here.

MojoRisen
2/9/2009, 09:41 AM
I think if we get Elite 8 or Final 4, go ahead and pay him the top end Salary for OU Hoops 2.2 Million or so per year what ever that number is. If he starts loosing just can him, I wouldn't run the risk of not being proactive with paying someone who deserves it, but along with that comes expectations.

What does he get right now? 1 million or not quit?

ouleaf
2/9/2009, 11:33 AM
I think if we get Elite 8 or Final 4, go ahead and pay him the top end Salary for OU Hoops 2.2 Million or so per year what ever that number is. If he starts loosing just can him, I wouldn't run the risk of not being proactive with paying someone who deserves it, but along with that comes expectations.

What does he get right now? 1 million or not quit?

I say pay him right now! You don't want to risk him walking away at this point. What I love most about Capel is his ability to really connect with the players. He's still a fairly young guy, coach-wise, and you can't underestimate the importance of someone that not only connects with his players, but also commands their respect. That goes a long way come recruiting time, and will help get more Blake Griffins and Willie Warren's wanting to head to Norman while Capel is here.

If i were Joe C., I'd go with a sort of modified "NFL franchise tag" for Capel in terms of figuring out a salary. Average out the salaries of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the Big 12 and any other major programs that might seriously have a chance of getting him after this year (ie: Maryland). That should be a pretty good basis to start at in terms of contract negotiations after this year.

soonervegas
2/9/2009, 11:39 AM

Which is insanity if true, because I know he talked to KS about the job and that had to be one of the 1st three things out of Kelvin's mouth.

Good money/AD support.
You can win consistently.
Football is king.

badger
2/9/2009, 02:32 PM
Well, we all know how we lost Kel... Sam..... to Indiana (riiiight... "lost") , but does anyone know how we lost Billy Tubbs? Sorry if I'm opening healed wounds. I really have no idea on the circumstances of his leaving OU. Retirement? Better job offer? The ol' Switzer heave-ho due to off-court issues? Hmm...

I think we have to look to see what other schools have done to keep their top coaching talent (namely, top BASKETBALL coaching talent) from other school's prying wallets and fanbases and facilities.

Football is NOT king. Football is men's basketball's older, supportive brother. It was here first, but that does not make it first. It was OU's first love, but that's only because, once again, it came first.

(and please, don't look up the records on that assertion, because when I say "first" I mean that football was the first consistent champion)

As such, football can only mean good things for men's basketball, and men's basketball has only meant good things for women's basketball... and reverse the order of that. It is from football that OU gets the fan's love early in the school year. It's men's basketball that keeps fans energized until spring football and fall.

Women's basketball initially saw its biggest crowds when it was the second in double header games.

You can credit this mutual success to the athletic department and the coaches. They all support each other so they all benefit from each other.

Think Duke men's basketball would be better off if they had a solid football program? Well for starters, they might have gotten air conditioning in Cameron Indoor long before this decade.

cheezyq
2/9/2009, 02:50 PM
I absolutely can't stand (Dingle)Berry Tramel, but this is an interesting article that has Capel saying some really encouraging things:

http://newsok.com/capel-a-keeper-for-ou/article/3344365

"You get here, you realize how good of a job it is,” Capel said....

Capel said he didn’t appreciate OU’s basketball history until after he took the job but now believes the program has no ceiling: "When you’re in a league like we’re in, when you have the resources like we have, an athletic director and athletic department like we have, I don’t see why there should be limits.”....

"All of our sports are very lucky, very fortunate, that we have such a great football program,” Capel said.

It basically confirms my thoughts - Capel's smart enough to realize what OU provides with its football program, and that the only job that he would likely jump for is one that's VERY strong and closer to home.

badger
2/9/2009, 03:24 PM
It basically confirms my thoughts - Capel's smart enough to realize what OU provides with its football program, and that the only job that he would likely jump for is one that's VERY strong and closer to home.

I will say this again about Capel's alma mater: NO AIR CONDITIONING UNTIL 2002 IN YOUR PRIDE AND JOY CAMERON INDOOR STADIUM.

It would be foolish and naive to assume that a school's athletic department can survive off of one strong program alone. Every strong program has off-year eventually, even if they never see it coming. Think Miami thought they'd have to fire Coker after that first year championship? Think North Carolina thought they would shoo Matt Doherty out after he won national coach of the year? After our dark ages in the 90s in football, we are not going to be foolish enough to think it could never happen again... so, insurance policies must be put in place.

If football goes down, we now have another tool to keep fans, alumni, donors and recruits interested: men's and women's basketball. It might sound silly to think that a strong program could recruit fans or recruits from other sports, but two words: Anthony. Kim.

Stay, Capel, stay!

cheezyq
2/9/2009, 06:35 PM
Exactly, Baj. Duke now hasn't even been that great since the mid-90s. Kentucky? El sucko. About the only basketball programs that have been consistent over the decades are UCLA, UNC, and UConn. While basketball does generate some dollars, the big money maker is football.

Even during our down football years in the 90s, we were still hanging on with good basketball teams. OU has to have one of the strongest overall programs in college sports today.

HBick
2/10/2009, 03:08 AM
I sincerely hope you all are right. I haven't missed one home game this season and it's comforting to see Capel down their on the bench. I will say this though, the University of Oklahoma had it right when they offered free tickets to students on an attendance level. I would have paid regardless, but something needs to be done about where the students sit. Not to mention that LNC needs to renovated. But a trip to the final four might help.