PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps

OUAlumni1990
2/6/2009, 01:07 AM
What is wrong with the world today when a young man can't hit a bong at a party without the whole world coming down on him? Do you think its fair what they did to him? I don't. Whatever he does in his personal life is his own $%^& business and I think the person who took the picture is 100x more wrong, its an invasion of privacy and a chicken sh*t thing to do. 23 year olds party, thats what they do. Whats wrong with it??? What do you guys think??

bri
2/6/2009, 01:18 AM
What really aggravates me about the whole hullabaloo is that good ol' Buford T. Justice down there is gonna charge Phelps with illegal enjoyment of some kind bud because of that picture, but are they busting their *sses tracking down everyone else who hit the bong that night? Of course not; they're not famous.

Bah.

Crucifax Autumn
2/6/2009, 01:33 AM
What bugs me is that there are rapists and child molesters for them to spend their time on...but as always they are more worried about the devil-weed than they are about the real criminals.

Worst thing that happens with weed is lack of motivation and those LOM guys were almost always like that BEFORE tha weed!

Let's save states some money and quit busting potheads. Anjd let's make some money legalizing and taxing it. It's not friggin' crack!

Frozen Sooner
2/6/2009, 02:37 AM
What bothers me is that he bogarted all the weed.

Phelps will come out of this just fine. ESPN ran a poll today about how this impacted Phelps' popularity, and if anything it helped him.

King Crimson
2/6/2009, 03:28 AM
who cares? another blow to the smoke dope and you're a loser nancy reagan crowd.

badger
2/6/2009, 06:37 AM
I heard via NP's NCAA Football 2009 game that Michael Phelps may not return to the Olympics in 2012 (before you all giggle at the absurdity of a video game that came out last year having new news, please know that I thought the same thing once. There's some XBox Live connection or something that allows ESPN to feed us more Teebow crap through a feed... I know, strange)

So there you go, this incident has shaken him and our top gold medal hauler might not be back and China will further overtake the Olympic games. Well, at least Americans have a choice. If he were Chinese, he'd be swimming until he sank like a rock to the bottom of the pool.

AlbqSooner
2/6/2009, 07:30 AM
I heard via NP's NCAA Football 2009 game that Michael Phelps may not return to the Olympics in 2012

See!! I TOLD you it was amotivational!;)

swardboy
2/6/2009, 07:41 AM
He was an idiot for doing this among total strangers in a "public" way.
He just lost his Kellogg's endorsement.
He should get this year's Darwin award.

RacerX
2/6/2009, 08:02 AM
He was an idiot for doing this among total strangers in a "public" way.
He just lost his Kellogg's endorsement.
He should get this year's Darwin award.

Swardboy nails it.

Phelps is a dumas.

Don't tarnish your image by being stupid enough to smoke weed at a party.

But hey, he's already had a DUI. Dumas*2.

OU4LIFE
2/6/2009, 08:27 AM
I think the only people crying about it are the dope smoking hippies. 'It's not like crack!'

weakest. argument. ever.

Last time I checked, it was still an illegal drug, so in that respect, it IS like crack.

Is it that freaking hard to not do illegal shiat? Srsly?

OUAlumni1990
2/6/2009, 10:31 AM
Last time I checked, it was still an illegal drug, so in that respect, it IS like crack.

Wow, I've never heard such an ignorant statment. Crack is a very dangerous and highly addictive drug. You get caught with it, its a felony. Pot, not so much. Get caught with a bag and its a misdimeaner and slap on the hand. Crack can kill you, smoking dope just makes you dumb (now you know what happened to me, heh)(although I put that stuff down many many years ago).

Yeah, they are both illegal, but big difference in severity. I agree that he was stupid to be doing it in a public place, but it really isn't that big of a deal that they are making it out to be.

OUAlumni1990
2/6/2009, 10:44 AM
What bothers me is that he bogarted all the weed.

That bothers me too. :cool:

OU4LIFE
2/6/2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, they are both illegal

so you agree, good. Thanks for staying on point.

frankensooner
2/6/2009, 11:01 AM
Wow, I've never heard such an ignorant statment. Crack is a very dangerous and highly addictive drug. You get caught with it, its a felony. Pot, not so much. Get caught with a bag and its a misdimeaner .

If you smoke too much pot, you won't know how to spell "misdemeanor" ;)

Oldnslo
2/6/2009, 11:03 AM
he lost the Kellogg sponsorship?

Oh SNAP! Crackle, pop!

Thank you! Try the veal!

OUAlumni1990
2/6/2009, 11:09 AM
If you smoke too much pot, you won't know how to spell "misdemeanor" ;)

good point

OUAlumni1990
2/6/2009, 11:12 AM
so you agree, good. Thanks for staying on point.

Well, speeding is illegal too. Do you think Phelps would be in so much trouble if he got caught doing 65 in a 55? That is my point. BIG difference in severity...

frankensooner
2/6/2009, 11:13 AM
What if he was pimping out some sweet honeys?

8timechamps
2/6/2009, 11:14 AM
Here's another point of view:

My 9 year old saw the photo when the story first broke. As soon as he saw it, he asks me "is he going to get in trouble, what was he doing wrong?". What am I supposed to tell him "No, son. It's just a misdemeanor. If he were caught by the police, they would just slap him on the wrist." :rolleyes:

Just because people are stupid enough to use the crap, and therefore make excuses for others that do, doesn't mean it's right or that others are wrong (or stupid) for calling him out on it.

Last time I checked, it was still illegal. Who cares if it's a misdemeanor or a felony. Against the law is against the law.

OU4LIFE
2/6/2009, 11:24 AM
Well, speeding is illegal too. Do you think Phelps would be in so much trouble if he got caught doing 65 in a 55? That is my point. BIG difference in severity...

if you could please go back and point out where I said they were the same in severity, I'd be happy to continue this conversation.

Seems to me that I clearly said 'in that respect'....to which, you decided say that you had 'never heard such an ignorant statment' (btw, I'm not sure what a 'statment' is).

So, I'm going out on a limb here and say that, judging from your reading comprehension, your statement was far more ignorant than mine.

47straight
2/6/2009, 11:25 AM
Sorry, a 23 year old dude hanging out at a college party is a little weird. Not as much as when a NCAA basketball coach does it. Especially when you've got the clout to be doing that in South Beach.

8timechamps
2/6/2009, 11:25 AM
if you could please go back and point out where I said they were the same in severity, I'd be happy to continue this conversation.

Seems to me that I clearly said 'in that respect'....to which, you decided say that you had 'never heard such an ignorant statment' (btw, I'm not sure what a 'statment' is).

So, I'm going out on a limb here and say that, judging from your reading comprehension, your statement was far more ignorant than mine.

I don't know...you're pretty ignorant.

frankensooner
2/6/2009, 11:29 AM
And furry, don't forget furry. ;)

OUAlumni1990
2/6/2009, 11:29 AM
What if he was pimping out some sweet honeys?

I would be down for that is what I would say :D

Oldnslo
2/6/2009, 11:32 AM

My 9 year old saw the photo when the story first broke. As soon as he saw it, he asks me "is he going to get in trouble, what was he doing wrong?". What am I supposed to tell him "No, son. It's just a misdemeanor. If he were caught by the police, they would just slap him on the wrist." :rolleyes:

Just because people are stupid enough to use the crap, and therefore make excuses for others that do, doesn't mean it's right or that others are wrong (or stupid) for calling him out on it.

Last time I checked, it was still illegal. Who cares if it's a misdemeanor or a felony. Against the law is against the law.

My 10 year old saw the pic, too. "It's against the law" was all he needed to hear. Now, my kids have heard me and their Mom, also a former prosecutor, explain the difference between felonies and misdemeanors (and the difference between civil and criminal actions) more than once. I don't think they've quite gotten it yet. Maybe your kid is just much brighter than mine are.

Hell, my daughter still can't get the difference between college and pro teams.

8timechamps
2/6/2009, 11:35 AM
My 10 year old saw the pic, too. "It's against the law was all he needed to hear." Now, my kids have heard me and their Mom, also a former prosecutor, explain the difference between felonies and misdemeanors (and the difference between civil and criminal actions) more than once. I don't think they've quite gotten it yet. Maybe your kid is just much brighter than mine are.

Bright? No. He's got enough to get by :).

I simply told him that he broke the law. Like your kids, he moved on. He hasn't gotten to that "But how?" age yet.

OU4LIFE
2/6/2009, 11:42 AM
you're all making my fur stand up.

Collier11
2/6/2009, 11:44 AM

Its unfortunate that your son or any child saw this and has to be explained as to what was going on. But let me ask you this, have you ever jaywalked, have you ever received a bj, have you ever NOT yielded at a yield sign, etc, etc, etc...My point is that just cus something is illegal doesnt make you a bad person. His mistake was letting someone take the pic more than anything, im not saying he was right for breaking the law but that it doesnt necessarily make him a bad person deserving of all of the BS from the media. JMHO

Collier11
2/6/2009, 11:46 AM
Sorry, a 23 year old dude hanging out at a college party is a little weird. Not as much as when a NCAA basketball coach does it. Especially when you've got the clout to be doing that in South Beach.

Not quite getting your point, alot of 23 yr olds are still in college. His GF goes to that college, whats the big deal?

TUSooner
2/6/2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry, a 23 year old dude hanging out at a college party is a little weird....

He knew where the weed would be.

frankensooner
2/6/2009, 11:55 AM
I wonder how much he spent at Taco Bell afterwards?

Pricetag
2/6/2009, 12:15 PM
he lost the Kellogg sponsorship?

Oh SNAP! Crackle, pop!

Thank you! Try the veal!
I have a much bigger moral objection to veal than I do to smoking the wacky tobacky.

OUAlumni1990
2/6/2009, 12:45 PM
this thread is giving me the munchies

olevetonahill
2/6/2009, 01:40 PM

Shes Blond aint she .:D

Frozen Sooner
2/6/2009, 01:54 PM

There's a lot of 23-year olds who are still undergrads, man. That's a little harsh.

soonerboomer93
2/6/2009, 02:05 PM
I wonder how much he spent at Taco Bell afterwards?

maybe they'll become his new sponser

soonerboomer93
2/6/2009, 02:06 PM
oh, and lets not forget this over reaction is in large part due to the fact that the majority of americans will pay very little attention to USA Swimming until 2012

OhU1
2/6/2009, 03:01 PM
A 23 year old at a high school party may be weird but undergrad?

I pretty much pegged Phelps as possibily "learning disabled" the first time I saw him. The dude has spent his life swimming, eating, and sleeping and was probably a geek growing up. Now he is famous and people want to party with him and he doesn't know how to handle it. He didn't get it out of his system in high school like a lot of people.

47straight
2/6/2009, 03:03 PM
A 23 year old at a high school party may be weird but undergrad?

I pretty much pegged Phelps as possibily "learning disabled" the first time I saw him. The dude has spent his life swimming, eating, and sleeping and was probably a geek growing up. Now he is famous and people want to party with him and he doesn't know how to handle it. He didn't get it out of his system in high school like a lot of people.

I guess he didn't get out of his system after his DUI post-Sydney olympics?

NYC Poke
2/6/2009, 03:33 PM
People who don't understand the negative effects of marijuana should look into the studies they did on rhesus monkeys. After being continually exposed to marijuana smoke, those monkeys were totally stoned.

IB4OU2
2/6/2009, 03:50 PM
Kellogs dropped him, NORML picked him up.

swardboy
2/6/2009, 04:14 PM
Kellogs dropped him, NORML picked him up.

Well, that's better than NAMBLA :eek:

DBrown
2/6/2009, 05:06 PM
North
American
Marlon
Brando
Lovers
Association
.....oh......wrong one! Kudos to South Park for that one!

KC//CRIMSON
2/6/2009, 05:13 PM
"Damn, looks like Michael Phelps won't be on a box of Wheaties anytime soon. Except Wheaties is made by General Mills who should seriously be looking to gain from Kellogg's Quaker mentality. I'm not saying they should start putting purple bong marshmallows in Lucky Charms - unless they want to triple their third quarter profits. To be honest, I don't really know how that would happen, but isn't that the way stocks work? You just make *hit up then buy a jet. I've seriously been in the wrong business."

olevetonahill
2/6/2009, 06:59 PM
People who don't understand the negative effects of marijuana should look into the studies they did on rhesus monkeys. After being continually exposed to marijuana smoke, those monkeys were totally stoned.

Ya say that likes it a bad thing .:eek: ;)

OUAlumni1990
2/6/2009, 07:41 PM

Yeah, but I'll bet those stoned monekys could still drive better than most sober texans (off topic). :D

KC//CRIMSON
2/10/2009, 04:12 PM
What really aggravates me about the whole hullabaloo is that good ol' Buford T. Justice down there is gonna charge Phelps with illegal enjoyment of some kind bud because of that picture, but are they busting their *sses tracking down everyone else who hit the bong that night? Of course not; they're not famous.

Bah.

Not only did the party at University of South Carolina cost Michael Phelps the warm, striped love of Tony the Tiger, he lost $2,000 playing beer pong. Which is why you never bet money on beer pong. Only your car, first born child or a quick peek at your girlfriend's breast. True story. Page Six reports:

"I saw Phelps pull out a roll, a bank-wrapped $2,000. He said, 'I'll match the $2,000,' " onlooker Michael Whitworth told the State newspaper. "Good ol' Phelpsie lost it, too."

In the meantime, the Richland County Sheriff's Department have arrested eight people in connection to the party despite Columbia residents wisely insisting they focus on more serious crimes, according to WIS News. Michael Phelps will most likely not face charges:

We've now learned that since investigators began trying to build a case, they've made eight arrests: seven for drug possession and one for distribution. These are arrests that resulted as the sheriff's department served search warrants.
We've also learned that the department has located and confiscated that bong. Sources say the owner of the bong was trying to sell it on eBay for as much as $100,000. The owner, who wasn't even at the party, is one of the eight now charged.
Governor Mark Sanford is also weighing in on the sheriff's actions. On the FOX News Channel Sunday night, Geraldo Rivera asked Sanford whether Phelps should be prosecuted.
"I don't see what it gets at this point," said Sanford. His spokesman told us Monday night Sanford is letting that quote stand.

Oh, boy, eight college students got busted for pot! Congratulations, Columbia, South Carolina, you're now the safest town in America. No need to lock your doors tonight - or even close them at all. The Sheriff done caught them potheads. Whoopee!

MR2-Sooner86
2/11/2009, 10:08 AM
Is it just me or does anybody find it odd that he's getting thrown under the bus for this BUT you look at any Hollywood celebrity, sports star, or media darling with alcohol and...well it's "just alcohol" and not "the devil's drug".

Seriously, people were worried over Paris Hilton going to jail yet these same people have no problem grilling Phelps just because he smoked pot?

Collier11
2/11/2009, 11:19 AM
He is getting thrown under the bus and Heath Ledger OD's and kills himself and is celebrated as a hero...go figure

StoopTroup
2/11/2009, 11:43 AM
I bet lots of monkeys have gotten really stoned.

http://neverwriteitdown.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/monkees2.jpg