PDA

View Full Version : Biggest unknowns for the '09/'10 season?

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 11:24 AM
With so many guys deciding to stay another year, I think it isn't too much of a stretch for us to expect another run at the conference and national titles.

Obvioously, we'll be going in with some unknowns. So, what do you think is the biggest unknown for the season?

For me (and proabably most of you), it's the O-line. Losing four of the five starters is going to be rough. However, we certainly have some talent that could step up and fill the shoes.

With the return of Williams and Gresham, we're not in terrible shape. Not to mention that all of the O-Line back-ups saw playing time last season. It'll be interesting to see who competes for the starting jobs and whether or not any of the freshmen will step up...we got some serious size through recruiting this season.

Next, my biggest concern is the kicking game. I know many fols are worried about the WRs for next year, but I think that will play out. For me, the kicking game is the next biggest unknown.

Thoughts?

Boomer Mooner
2/5/2009, 11:40 AM
I agree, kicking is a huge issue in my mind. Seems like kickers would be trying to kill one another for a shot at the job here.

Guess that just happens in Colorado...

TahoeSOONER
2/5/2009, 11:46 AM
Nice post.

Safety will be a transition but we are loaded with young talent.

I'm really going to be watching the competition at linebacker next year. That's as interesting as it gets for playing time in the middle.

Granger's back? Literally. Demarco at full speed?

Oline, can we keep up this no huddle pace while running the ball just as effective? Can the offense be better? I'm thinking it's possible with QB and major skill players returning.

Young RBs, Calhoun getting in the mix?

This team will nasty next year and a run is expected, only one O K L A H O M A!

BOOMER!

htownsooner7
2/5/2009, 12:26 PM
Questions at WR. Iglesias and Johnson have been so solid for years. You know what to expect out of them and they were always where they were supposed to be.

BoulderSooner79
2/5/2009, 02:50 PM
I think the O-line will come along; the question is how long will it take and can they be solid by the UT game. An experience QB and good play calling can help protect the line by not expecting too much in early games.

I think the biggest question mark is still MLB. Hard to believe Reynolds will be back at full speed. Box only has a few games under his belt and has been plagued with injuries. The coaches showed little confidence in Balogun and none in Crow. Maybe spring and fall will get Balogun and/or Box ready. Maybe we can even get contributions from a true freshman? Lots of unknowns.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 03:14 PM
I agree with Boomer Mooner, the LB competition is going to be fun to watch. I think we are loaded at LB.

With Lewis and Clayton in the catbird seat for OLBs, the real competition will be at MLB. We've got Reynolds, Box and Balogun returning, then throw the frosh group Tom Wort, Gus Jones and Jayden Bird in the mix. Whoever ends up at LB, it's going to be one of the best units in the conference, if not the land.

I would not be surprised to see Ronnell Lewis earn some serious playing time at MLB. Expecially if RR and Box can't come back 100%.

oupride
2/5/2009, 04:58 PM
Questions at WR. Iglesias and Johnson have been so solid for years. You know what to expect out of them and they were always where they were supposed to be.
Agree. This is my biggest concern.

soonerfan28
2/5/2009, 05:03 PM
MLB and WR are the biggest concerns. I think we have experience at MLB more then we do at WR so that will help.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2009, 05:07 PM
Biggest unknown?

UNKNOWN

JLEW1818
2/5/2009, 05:26 PM
I think we will have to kick more field goals this year

soonermagic14
2/5/2009, 06:44 PM
The O-line is a big concern to me. A freshmen center who will have to make the major blocking assignment calls worries me. But we are Oklahoma and we've a done a good job of protecting the QB in the Stoops era.

I'd give Wort a shot at the mike position. He has ok size but he runs a 4.4 forty and he'll knock your head off too. What's the latest with Reynolds? He's too risky to me.

JLEW1818
2/5/2009, 06:47 PM
I would think the starting Linebackers would be

MLB: BOX
SLB: Clayton
WLB: Lewis

soonermagic14
2/5/2009, 07:00 PM
Box, Balogun, or Wort....just have a back up ready just in case well you know.

JLEW1818
2/5/2009, 07:10 PM
and Reynolds will supposedly be ready

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 08:19 PM
I don't think there is any question that the two OLB positions are secure (unless someone pulls a Travis Lewis in the spring). The competition is going to be at MLB. If RR wins it, then that's great news...it means he's been cleared and the coaches think he's ready. If not, there are enough horses with talent to find a stud.

I guess I'm just not that concered with the WR position. With Broyles and Gresham, we already have two proven producers. I think it'll be like last spring, someone will make a statement and win the jobs (and our hearts).

soonermagic14 has a great point. The center position is going to go along way in dictating what we can do on offense.

Still, if we can't get the kicking game at a higher level than last year, we could be in for a disappointing season.

TexassSux
2/6/2009, 08:58 AM
I think our biggest unkown is the type of offense we run. Did Stoops and Co. lose a little confidence in the Orange Bowl? Are they going to concentrate on getting a power running game and dump the finnesse? I don't know.

I really enjoyed watching the O score all those points all year, but I really don't think we will see the no huddle again next year. Maybe more of a pro set type. (wishful thinking anyway)

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2009, 09:17 AM
I think our biggest unkown is the type of offense we run. Did Stoops and Co. lose a little confidence in the Orange Bowl? Are they going to concentrate on getting a power running game and dump the finnesse? I don't know.

I really enjoyed watching the O score all those points all year, but I really don't think we will see the no huddle again next year. Maybe more of a pro set type. (wishful thinking anyway)

I don't see much change in an offensive scheme that set the modern day scoring record - especially since Bradford is back to run it. The running game worked pretty well in the title game considering the opponent and the fact that our power runner (Murray) didn't play. We'll have more depth at RB with Calhoun and Johnson. The biggest question will be how much time Bradford gets in the pocket. But spreading the field and using Sam's quick reads and passing accuracy will still be our biggest weapon.

I would like to see some huddle mixed in with the no-huddle. It would allow the lineman to rest in games where we need to burn the clock instead of keeping them in their stances. It would also allow calling 2 plays at once in a 2 minute drill. Finally, it would allow altering the snap count to keep the D off balance in a short yardage power situation. But I wouldn't try to install any of that stuff if it affected how well we run the basic offense.

soonerfan28
2/6/2009, 09:30 AM
Wort knocked people's heads off in HS. It's going to take someone his size a little more time to be doing that at this level. Cooper started as a freshman but then again that was the worst season under Stoops since his first year.

gonefishin
2/6/2009, 09:37 AM
I would think the no huddle would be the best scheme to run with an inexperienced o-line, as it would limit the time they need to hold their blocks in the passing game, provided they also limit penalties. If Wilson is able to duplicate his offense's production, I think the biggest unknown is who would be the next offensive coordinator for the Sooners, because he'll be long gone.

JLEW1818
2/6/2009, 01:44 PM
we could always run the option.. ha

stoops the eternal pimp
2/6/2009, 02:41 PM
How many sips of OVJ does it take to take Stoop Troup down...thats the unknown..to me anyway

soonervegas
2/7/2009, 02:44 PM

This and the Horns are the only thing that I see between us and a trip to Pasadena. If we can effectively address both we could be looking at the 1st BCS Title Game rematch.

CatfishSooner
2/7/2009, 03:24 PM
This and the Horns are the only thing that I see between us and a trip to Pasadena. If we can effectively address both we could be looking at the 1st BCS Title Game rematch.

I DO NOT want to play for another title in the team's back yard damit!:mad:

BoulderSooner79
2/7/2009, 04:41 PM

I DO NOT want to play for another title in the team's back yard damit!:mad:

The odds are against a rematch, but if it happens, Pasadena is a pretty long trek for the gators. :P

The Remnant
2/8/2009, 11:43 AM
With the NCG in Pasadena the only team who's backyard is nearby is SC. With all their losses on both sides of the ball, I don't see how they get there.

hawaii 5-0
2/8/2009, 10:12 PM
Wouldn't it be novel if Stoops decided that OU would have THE best special teams in the nation next season.

Kicking, returning kicks, punting (if they ever need to), returning punts, kicking FGs, blocking FGs.

Every time OU kicked off or attempted a FG it was exciting and not in a good way.

I'd like to see that change. I'd like to see other teams fear our special teams.

:cool: 5-0

KingDavid
2/8/2009, 11:10 PM
The success of the offense hangs on the replacement of two positions: Center and Left Guard.

The success of the defense will depend on replacing MLB and FS successfully and staying injury-free down the backbone (NT, MLB, FS).

JLEW1818
2/9/2009, 08:19 AM
The success of the offense hangs on the replacement of two positions: Center and Left Guard.

The success of the defense will depend on replacing MLB and FS successfully and staying injury-free down the backbone (NT, MLB, FS).

I'd have to agree on that. We have to make sure we can run the ball on texas, i think the stat this decade is whoever has the most rushing yards in the game, won the game.

And whoever earns the MLB spot, i hope they have the complete **** you attitude on the field. We need a monster, and i think Box might be that guy . It usually is never good not to know during the off-season who your MLB will be, but in this case, I think Box, Balogun, and Reynolds proved they can play.

JLEW1818
2/9/2009, 08:24 AM
King David, rumor was R.J. Washington was tearing **** up last year, I can't wait to see him play.