PDA

View Full Version : Big XII: Who'll make the big dance?

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 11:09 AM
To hear the talking heads a couple of weeks ago, you'd have thought that Oklahoma and Texas were neck and neck in the conference. And, I suppose we were, briefly.

Texas has apparently hit some kind of wall. So, who is moving up to take their spot? I don't know if I am convinced that KU is the next best team.

As it stands now, I'm not sure Baylor will even make the tourny. Here's my picks (as they stand now) for Big XII teams that are in good shape:

OU 22-1 (8-0)
KU 18-4 (7-0)
Missouri 19-4 (6-2)*

Teams that need to step it up if they're going to make it:

Texas A&M 17-6 (3-5)
Texas 15-6 (4-3)
Baylor 15-7 (3-5)
K-State 15-7 (4-4)

Teams that are hanging on by a thread:

Nebraska 14-7 (3-4)
O-State 14-7 (3-4)

*Mizzou helped themselves out with a win in Austin. However, they have a pretty tough remaining conference schedule, and can ill afford to lose many more.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 11:13 AM
i think UT will make it. i think the big question is does 9-7 make it...because if so, i could see 5-6 teams. otherwise, 9-7 doesn't make it, i'd say 4.

A&M has played a tough schedule so far as well, they played their way in last year based on some late W's, if i recall. i think schedule suggests they could do that again. i think Baylor has to beat us to have ANY shot. they just haven't got it done against the better teams.

KSu has a numerical advantage playing in the North...and have "come on" of late, seems. at least Dave Sittler thinks so.

Boomer.....
2/5/2009, 11:15 AM
We should probably get 4 or 5. Most likely:
OU
KU
Missouri
Texas A&M
Texas

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 11:17 AM
Pokes saved whatever chance they have by pulling one out of the fire at historic GIA last night.

tommieharris91
2/5/2009, 11:30 AM
Palm says we have the #1 RPI now!!

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 11:37 AM
i think UT will make it. i think the big question is does 9-7 make it...because if so, i could see 5-6 teams. otherwise, 9-7 doesn't make it, i'd say 4.

A&M has played a tough schedule so far as well, they played their way in last year based on some late W's, if i recall. i think schedule suggests they could do that again. i think Baylor has to beat us to have ANY shot. they just haven't got it done against the better teams.

KSu has a numerical advantage playing in the North...and have "come on" of late, seems. at least Dave Sittler thinks so.

Jow Lunardi (ESPN's Braketology) has O State just missing. Of course, things change weekly. He also still has Baylor in.

I think you're probably right about A&M. I still think they've done it through smoke and mirrors, but they do have a favorable schedule the rest of the way (two biggest remaining games are Texas and Mizzou, and both are at home).

soonervegas
2/5/2009, 12:15 PM
I cant see moer than 5....so I am pretty much with Boomer:

OU
KU
Mizzou
Texas
A&M - is 3-5, but has already played OU twice.

Darkhorse instead of A&M - Nebraska

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 01:02 PM
I cant see moer than 5....so I am pretty much with Boomer:

OU
KU
Mizzou
Texas
A&M - is 3-5, but has already played OU twice.

Darkhorse instead of A&M - Nebraska

i think KSU is a better darkhorse than NU. NU is well-coached and can be a tough out but they are limited in a lot of ways.

Mixer!
2/5/2009, 01:54 PM
I don't see :stunned: getting in now that Holder's new hire has turned them into a poor Weber State copy.

ouleaf
2/5/2009, 02:05 PM
OU, Mizzou, KU, A&M, and Texas.

cheezyq
2/5/2009, 05:27 PM
The problem is that too many of the Big 12 teams are putting themselves "on the bubble". At this point we SHOULD have 5 "shoe-in" picks and 3-4 "bubble" teams. Instead, we have 3 "shoe-in" picks and about 6 teams sitting on the "bubble". That probably lends itself to 4 or 5 getting in.

And MU may be over UT in the standings, but MU's pathetic OOC schedule will keep them from leaping UT in the NCAA placement. UT is in, unless they collapse completely. MU, not so much.

Oddly, RPI-wise, the Big 12 isn't doing too badly. It's just that there are too many teams sitting in the middle rather than standing at the top.

tommieharris91
2/5/2009, 05:47 PM
The problem is that too many of the Big 12 teams are putting themselves "on the bubble". At this point we SHOULD have 5 "shoe-in" picks and 3-4 "bubble" teams. Instead, we have 3 "shoe-in" picks and about 6 teams sitting on the "bubble". That probably lends itself to 4 or 5 getting in.

And MU may be over UT in the standings, but MU's pathetic OOC schedule will keep them from leaping UT in the NCAA placement. UT is in, unless they collapse completely. MU, not so much.

Oddly, RPI-wise, the Big 12 isn't doing too badly. It's just that there are too many teams sitting in the middle rather than standing at the top.

Non-con SOS ratings:

Mizzou - 35
Texas - 40
OU - 5

Mizzou has wins over Cal and USC. Their 2 losses out of conference are to Illinois and Xavier. How is their Non-con pathetic?

OSUAggie
2/5/2009, 07:40 PM
The only thing saving OSU at this point is that the weakest schedule in the history of non-conference scheduling is actually turning out to be pretty decent on paper. The SOS for the Pokes is #6 right now (realtimerpi.com). However, the best wins have come against Siena (#21), Tulsa (#71), Rhode Island (#63), A&M (#34) and Nebraska (#76).

Although there haven't been any bad losses (losses to #'s 37, 4, 20, 51, 22, 1 and 34), we need to beat a top-20 at some point. Unfortunately, the only two opportunities left for such a win (unless Texas miraculously gets things turned around) are in Norman and Lawrence, two places that we don't traditionally play too well.

The SOS will take a hit with remainders against Tech (#117), ISU (#142) and f'ing Colorado (which we'll probably lose, based on how we usually play in Boulder - they're #223). So, somehow, the team needs to finish the remainder of the schedule with 6 wins, which won't be easy (given how ****ty we are).

The best possibility for 6 more:

Iowa State
@ Texas Tech
Baylor
@Colorado
Texas
Kansas State

There isn't much room for error, with the remainder of the possibilities being @ Kansas, @ Texas and @ Oklahoma.

I don't like our chances. If we can win in Lawrence for the first time in 20 years on Saturday, I'll change my mind. Slim to anorexic chance of that happening.

cheezyq
2/5/2009, 08:08 PM
Non-con SOS ratings:

Mizzou - 35
Texas - 40
OU - 5

Mizzou has wins over Cal and USC. They're 2 losses out of conference are to Illinois and Xavier. How is their Non-con pathetic?

Eh. Maybe I was thinking of Baylor's OOC. Can't remember now. Whatever the case, I don't think UT will be "on the bubble" unless something catastrophic happens. I wish that weren't the case, but they were ranked too high at the beginning of the season to make that kind of a fall.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 08:13 PM
If we can win in Lawrence for the first time in 20 years on Saturday, I'll change my mind. Slim to anorexic chance of that happening.

I wouldn't count the Pokes out of that one. KU is playing decent ball, but this certainly isn't the KU from last year.

OSUAggie
2/5/2009, 08:22 PM
Well, we beat the KU from last year.

The key ingredient in the OSU-KU series is where the hell the game's being played.

In Stillwater, we have a good shot.

In Kansas City, we have a pretty decent shot.

In Lawrence, we have no shot.

We do have a good shot of getting beat by a miraculous Kansas shot at the end, which has happened more than a few times in the last 20 years. Just no chance of actually winning.

----

We're not playing very good basketball right now - not sure what the deal is. We started to play better from the middle-to-latter part of December thru the beginning two games of conference play, but ever since the Missouri game it's been a joke on the defensive end and little-to-no movement on the offensive side.

We have given up no less than 35 uncontested layups in the last 5 games simply because we cannot figure out who we're guarding (we being Obi Muonelo). It's almost as frustrating as getting gashed repeatedly for 9 yards before laying a hand on the ball-carrier.

Oh well. I haven't quite given up hope on this group but I'm on the verge. Splitting the next two (@ KU, @UT) would be absolutely massive, but I just don't see it happening.

cheezyq
2/5/2009, 08:31 PM
I don't see :stunned: getting in now that Holder's new hire has turned them into a poor Weber State copy.

It might just be me, but stick a thin mustache and a luchador outfit on him, and that guy is the spitting image of Nacho Libre.

badger
2/6/2009, 07:54 AM
I know its a tired, worn out Poke cliche, but for once in OSU history and not just because the fans repeat it over and over, the Pokes truly are a...

team.
on.
the.
rise.

They got a gem of a hidden talent in Casper... or Little Country, or whatever you wanna call Keiton Page. They will finally dispense their oversized baggage next season in Eaton. They have a new coach that while Ford does not handle the refs well, he seems to handle his players OK.

This, OSU just needs to get postseason experience this year. If they don't make the NIT, they should accept a bid to the CBI. It worked wonders for Tulsa last year, even if everyone in the media made fun of the tourney, it served its purpose.

Of course, Pokies will hold out hope for an NCAA bid, but since we aren't in the Big East or ACC or whatev, I don't see the Big 12 getting enough bids for that to happen. Just make any postseason, OSU. It will pay dividends next year.

soonerfan28
2/6/2009, 09:41 AM
OU
Kansas
Mizzou
Texas
A&M

cheezyq
2/6/2009, 10:38 AM
Non-con SOS ratings:

Mizzou - 35
Texas - 40
OU - 5

Mizzou has wins over Cal and USC. Their 2 losses out of conference are to Illinois and Xavier. How is their Non-con pathetic?

I'm curious where you got these rankings. Most RPI sites have MU in the 60-80 range for SOS, Texas in the 25-35 range, and OU in the 10-20 range.

tommieharris91
2/6/2009, 11:45 AM
I'm curious where you got these rankings. Most RPI sites have MU in the 60-80 range for SOS, Texas in the 25-35 range, and OU in the 10-20 range.

Jerry Palm's collegerpi.com. Those are for non-conference SOS only.

I just checked again. I was wrong. Mizzou's is 101, Texas is at 88, and OU's is at 54.

Overall SOS for Mizzou is 60, Texas is 30, OU is 14.

Collier11
2/6/2009, 11:54 AM
OU 1-2 seed
Texas 5-7 seed
Mizzou 7-9 seed
Kansas 3-4 seed

Kstate, A&M and Osu on teh Bubble with only one getting in most likely

soonerfan28
2/6/2009, 12:35 PM
OSU- home of first round CBI losers.

Collier11
2/6/2009, 01:37 PM
OSU- home of first round CBI losers.

Dont be a jerk, we all know that osu is the superior bball school. Hell, they won 2 natl titles again Minnesota tech and mont pelier a&m in the 20's

soonerfan28
2/6/2009, 01:40 PM
Sorry.:D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/7/2009, 05:00 PM
OU 1-2 seed
Texas 5-7 seed
Mizzou 7-9 seed
Kansas 3-4 seed

Kstate, A&M and Osu on teh Bubble with only one getting in most likely

Mizzou would be higher if their non-conf SOS wasn't so weak. So I'd say that is about right.

After the Neb-Tex game today I think Neb might have the best shot at being the 5th team in the tourney. The actually have the same overall record as Texas and are 1/2 game ahead in the conference standings. I also think Texas, while they will probably recover and stay in the NCAA touney is playing themselves into a 8-9 seed pretty quickly.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2009, 05:10 PM
Right now...

OU
Kansas
Missery
Nebraska
Texas

Another loss by Texas, and they are a bubble team.

Bubble teams:
A&M, OSU, KSU.

I think we will only get 4 in right now...even though I have five listed.

tommieharris91
2/7/2009, 09:20 PM
Right now...

OU
Kansas
Missery
Nebraska
Texas

Another loss by Texas, and they are a bubble team.

Bubble teams:
A&M, OSU, KSU.

I think we will only get 4 in right now...even though I have five listed.

LOL even with today's win Nebraska isn't close to getting an NCAA bid. RPI of 77 coming into today, losses to UMBC (who?), @Iowa State, and @Oregon State. Only good win vs Mizzou. They don't have the resume of a tournament team and they need to win more than a few games to sniff a bid.

Also, Mizzou's and Texas's non-con SOS are pretty similar. I don't know where people get the idea that Mizzou's non-con schedule was pathetic.

The way I see it, in this order:

OU
Kansas
Mizzou

Then it's up for a lot of debate. Texas has lot a bunch of games lately, Nebraska has some bad losses on their resume, Baylor has lost 4 straight (they're playing @Tech right now), OSU doesn't have much in the way of good wins, and they've lost a lot of games lately, but the computers like them. ATM only has 1 win against the RPI top 50. So really, who does it go to? I guess Texas still, then OSU. The computers don't like KSU, and the kittens don't really have much of a good resume to speak of.

stoopified
2/8/2009, 12:27 AM
LOL even with today's win Nebraska isn't close to getting an NCAA bid. RPI of 77 coming into today, losses to UMBC (who?), @Iowa State, and @Oregon State. Only good win vs Mizzou. They don't have the resume of a tournament team and they need to win more than a few games to sniff a bid.

Also, Mizzou's and Texas's non-con SOS are pretty similar. I don't know where people get the idea that Mizzou's non-con schedule was pathetic.

OU
Kansas
Mizzou

Then it's up for a lot of debate. Texas has lot a bunch of games lately, Nebraska has some bad losses on their resume, Baylor has lost 4 straight (they're playing @Tech right now), OSU doesn't have much in the way of good wins, and they've lost a lot of games lately, but the computers like them. ATM only has 1 win against the RPI top 50. So really, who does it go to? I guess Texas still, then OSU. The computers don't like KSU, and the kittens don't really have much of a good resume to speak of.I agree after OU,KU,MU the Big12 ia the suc.We COULD get aTm or UT in BUT I don't think both make it.

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2009, 03:36 AM

OU
Kansas
Mizzou

Then it's up for a lot of debate. Texas has lot a bunch of games lately, Nebraska has some bad losses on their resume, Baylor has lost 4 straight (they're playing @Tech right now), OSU doesn't have much in the way of good wins, and they've lost a lot of games lately, but the computers like them. ATM only has 1 win against the RPI top 50. So really, who does it go to? I guess Texas still, then OSU. The computers don't like KSU, and the kittens don't really have much of a good resume to speak of.

As of right now, Texas is falling a lot in the RPI and in most bracketologies.

I am not saying Nebraska will get in as of right now, but I am saying these are the five teams that have the best shot in the Big 12 getting in.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/8/2009, 11:30 AM

OU
Kansas
Mizzou

I didn't use the term pathetic but MU's non-conference schedule was ranked 101. If it were in the 30's or 40's they would be a top 10-12 team with their record. I believe one of their wins was a non-DI win (SIU-Edwardsville).

I don't know that I would predict Neb in the tourney but they have a good chance to be 10-6 in league play. That and a first round Big 12 tourney win should get them a good look. I see pretty much no chance for OSU and A&M at this point. KSU's chances I like less than Neb and Baylor's ship is sinking pretty fast.

I probably haven't looked at the other bubble teams that much nationally given that OU is playing for a 1-seed at this point not just a spot in the tourney. It does look like 1/2 the tourney field will NOT be from the Big East.

royalfan5
2/8/2009, 11:47 AM
As a Husker fan, I just want to point out that it is almost surreal to see people openly discussing Nebraska making the tournament. We haven't even been close in the past decade, and nobody really expected this year to be any different.

tommieharris91
2/8/2009, 02:36 PM
I didn't use the term pathetic but MU's non-conference schedule was ranked 101.

Mizzou's is all the way down to 118 now, but Texas's now ranks 99. For comparison, OU's is 60 and OSU's is 42.

On another note, I'd like to point out that Arkansas's RPI is down to 99 after losing @Miss St.

skycat
2/9/2009, 05:03 PM
Nebraska has a couple really (RPI #170, #212!) bad losses, and Creighton (#60) is easily their best non-con win. Not only would they need at least 10-6 to have a decent shot at the tourney, one of those 10 better be @KU or @MU.

K-State is in a similar situation to Nebraska, but has a slightly more favorable schedule coming down the stretch. To make it work, the Cats probably need to be 2-0 this week (Tech, and KU at home), and not have any letdowns the rest of the way. That's a really tall order for this team.

Baylor and aTm have work to do just to get back on the bubble.

I don't think OSU has enough in the tank either.

This is looking like a 4 Big 12 team year to me.

OU
KU
MU
UT (<-by the skin of their teeth)