PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. eATMe Recap

Sooner04
2/5/2009, 10:22 AM
My mind was clear as I barfed into a bag at the Lloyd Noble Center last night. Our effort had my stomach in knots, but I never felt like we were going to lose.

Against Nebraska, I thought for sure we'd kicked it around enough to lose. Against Davidson, I thought for sure our carelessness would allow them to steal one.
Against Gardner-Webb, I thought for sure lackadaisacal nature would garner us a loss.

But last night, even though our effort was rancid enough to give a warthog the dry heaves, I ALWAYS felt like we were going to flip the switch and begin making the plays. We're down 66-59, and Blake gets fouled. As he's prone to do, he clanks both foul shots. Down the floor come the Aggies, and they convert inside yet again. Now it's 68-59 with 6:25 to go and down the floor we go. Griffin is fouled again. Crunch time at the free throw line, and things look bleak, but he makes both shots. 68-61.

And then the whole world changed. It may have seemed inconsequential at the time, but the minute-by-minute box score on soonersports.com pinpointed the exact minute this game shifted into high gear for our Sooners:

SUB IN : Pattillo, Juan
The moment The Chupacabra stepped onto the floor, the Aggies were on borrowed time. eATMe had taken advantage of an officiating crew willing to let things go underneath the basket and used it to their benefit by absolutely mauling us on the glass. They were killing us down there, but it's hard to get in a body blow when The Chupacabra skies for a rebound and you're trying to box out his kneecap. In that final 6:13, The Chupacabra produced four points, two rebounds and two blocks. In a game where we thought tough defensive play on the interior might give us cooties, Juan "The Chupacabra" Pattillo emerged from the bench and restored order. We do not win the game without him.

But this game continued a maddening trend for me. We have shown signs in the first half of blitzing teams into submission, but our effort wanes. We were hammering Iowa State, then got careless. Result? Tied at the halftime and a dogfight DEEP into the second half. eATMe looks like stir-fried dog crap in the first half and we lead by as much as 15, but then we stop attacking the glass. Result? They dominate the game for 20 minutes while their shooting percentage remains stagnant in the 40% range. Why? They were getting positive possessions while taking two to three shots every time they came down the floor. For a large chunk of the game they had more offensive rebounds than we had defensive boards. Horrid, horrid performance underneath, but yet we win.

It's crazy. We play like crap, yet we win. There's something to be said for that, I just don't know what it is. I'm afraid it's going to jump up and bite us, yet we win. I may be yacking up dinner in my seat, but I leave the arena with a smile. FJC III better keep his hair short, because he'd be yanking in out in clumps over performances like this........yet we win. 22-1, 8-0 in the RUGGED [cough] [cough] Big 12 Conference.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 17 [queasy centipede.]
2nd - 23 [millions of peaches....]
3rd - 17
4th - 20 [peaches for free.]

[b]LEADING SCORERS:
16 - Blake Griffin [He didn't look right, was he sick?]
13 - Taylor Griffin [Good on "O", bad on "D".]
12 - Willie Warren [On 10 shots.......belch.]
11 - Austin Johnson [On 10 shots......barf.]

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
14 - Blake Griffin [16 and 14 on a night where he was lousy.]
6 - Ryan Wright
3 - Juan "The Chupacabra" Pattillo

PLUSES:
1. Juan "The Chupacabra" Pattillo: I went into what he meant to us last night earlier, but it was like he was a human switch. Two demoralizing blocks, big rebounds and he WANTED the ball. You saw last night some solid post moves and some real ability around the basket. The dude simply willed us to victory last night and he often did it at eye-level with the rim. A simply freakish athlete is The Chupacabra.

2. Ryan Wright: The mere thought of a rebound sent us into the fetal position for most of the night, but another member of the Bench Mob emerged to help steer our wayward ship. In 14 minutes, Wright produced six rebounds, four of them of the offensive variety. He also poured in six points while hitting all four of his foul shots. To date, it was his best game as as Sooner.

3. Taylor Griffin: While I don't think he played very well, he did have 13 points INCLUDING the two biggest free throws of the night. Leading 71-69, he strode to the line while I was breathing into a bag and stroked two pure free shots. 73-69, and the game was ours.

4. 6:25 to the Horn: eATMe led 68-59 before they fouled Griffin 12 seconds later. From that point on, they took nine shots from the field and didn't make a one. Our defense smothered them and our offense got in rhythm. After 6:25, we outscored them 18-3. Against Iowa State, we closed the game on a 13-2 run. Combine the two, and we've outscored our last two opponents 31-5 in the crunchiest of crunch times. That's what great teams are supposed to do, no matter how closely you resembled elephant dung at earlier points in the contest.

5. Cade Davis: Nine early points in an assassin-like performance. Looked like he tweaked an ankle or foot, so I hope he's OK for Saturday. What I really liked is he swished a trey not more than a minute or two after heaving up an airball from the wing. No memories, kid.

MINUSES:
1. Effort: An effort like last night's really should get you beat. Effort has a way of isolating itself on the glass, and last night's picture was particularly gruesome. eATMe out rebounded us 45-31, with 20 offensive boards to our eight. Practice today might be a little testy.

2. Austin Johnson: As good as he's been, he was off last night. From the bad pass to Blake with the game tied at 69 to the reprehensible foul on the three-point attempt in the final seconds, AJ had his worst game in over a month. He's carried us, but tonight our boys carried him.

3. Tony Crocker: Three points on two shots in 26 minutes that were plagued by foul shots. The Crock Pot has not been cooking lately.

4. Bryan Davis: That dude sucks. Genetics were unkind to his face, but I can't decide if the zero he wears is indicative of the number of skills he has or his IQ. He's a dirty flopper too. I'm glad he left Norman with a loss.

Well, many more efforts like last night's and we'll surely garner a loss or two or three. But, then again, maybe we won't. It's uncanny how many plays we make when our back is against the wall on both sides of the ball. I guess you can't expect to be God's gift to the sport every time you walk down that tunnel, but I would like to see us really impose our will for more than 5-10 minute stretches. Maybe we're saving those, and the disappearing cream-colored uniforms, for games down the road against the hated Jayhawks and Aggroids. We'll see. For now, 22-1 and 8-0 will have to do.

You know, saying 22-1 and 8-0 instantly eases my stomach and mind. If I say it enough, I can't suppress the smile that crawls across my face. You should try it. It sounds even better than it looks. Onward, to the Buffaloes of Colorado.

Thank you for your time.

Boomer.....
2/5/2009, 10:42 AM
Our lack of defense and rebounding kept them in the game. The bench really stepped up last night.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for another good recap. I know many of us didn't get the game and had to listen online.

I felt like this was going to be our first conference loss when it was 44-44. Good teams find a way to win these kind of games. Great teams find a way to learn from them.

On to a horrid CU team before a rematch with the Bears.

bri
2/5/2009, 10:52 AM
You know, I'm not entirely sure if I'm glad we managed to win that game. As you pointed out, we've shown a habit of playing like crap against lesser opposition yet finding ways to win, but does that really help us? We may need to lose one of these games to get our guys to snap out of it and realize, yes, you can lose, and if you don't step up the effort and play at a high level every time out for the entire game...you will lose.

On the other hand, man, I love winning. It's such a catch-22.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/5/2009, 10:53 AM
You weren't worried? I wish I could say the same. When we're down 9 points I'm thinking, "Damn, we're going to let the chickenhawks claim a "share" of the B12 title even though we're going to beat the ever-living crap out of them in a few weeks."

I actually thought we got some good home cooking from the refs last night when we needed it. When the Chupacabra came in and chiti-chiti-bang-bang fouled out, their whole team crawled up into the fetal position.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 10:58 AM
You know, I'm not entirely sure if I'm glad we managed to win that game. As you pointed out, we've shown a habit of playing like crap against lesser opposition yet finding ways to win, but does that really help us? We may need to lose one of these games to get our guys to snap out of it and realize, yes, you can lose, and if you don't step up the effort and play at a high level every time out for the entire game...you will lose.

On the other hand, man, I love winning. It's such a catch-22.

Which begs the question:

Is it beneficial to lose a game or two before entering post-season tournament play?

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 11:09 AM
Which begs the question:

Is it beneficial to lose a game or two before entering post-season tournament play?

i tend to think so....but, i didn't want it to be last night at home to the Ags.

of course, going undefeated would be cool. the 4 game stretch @MU, KU, @Tech (trap game on the road in betwixt the others), @UT will be a challenge.

oumartin
2/5/2009, 11:12 AM
If Croker makes his first shot, He will stink it up the rest of the night.

If he has to work hard for his first basket he seems to play more inspired.

picasso
2/5/2009, 01:18 PM
poor, lazy effort. This team won't go far unless they learn to shoot free throws. I noticed none of them concentrate very much on the line. stop looking around already.

plus, when Blake has the ball down low, our guards do not move around well to get open. they just stand and watch. that's basic high school fundamental stuff. I was surprised to see that with Capel being a guard and all.

awight.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 01:35 PM
all things being equal, the FT shooting has been better than i expected. ATM was about 58% last night. cost them.

the fact we are equally likely to crank out a 84% night as a 52% night is a bit iffy, but a lot of it depends on who shoots them.

Willie's 1-3 was a stinker as was Blake's 0-2 that 04 mentions. Announcer's were talking about Warren having one point (before i muted them)....and if you can have a "bad" 1 point, Willie did.

OUmillenium
2/5/2009, 01:36 PM
1. Straight man to man D. I think a little more zone would have helped slow down some eatme runs.

2. Bench played great in the 1st half but Patillo and Warren are bigtime players that need more touches. Patillo needs more minutes. He has great court smarts = hes a winner.

3. Loved Warren driving to the hoop late. During the eatme comeback, there was none of that going on.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 01:38 PM
Warren's small burst there really helped wake us up.....but AJ is walking the ball up the floor so slowly, is weird.

i really don't think, all things being equal, ATM wants to play up tempo with us..

picasso
2/5/2009, 01:41 PM
it was fantastical seeing Turgeon complaining to the ref as time ran out.

Sooner04
2/5/2009, 01:45 PM
1. Straight man to man D. I think a little more zone would have helped slow down some eatme runs.
We were having enough trouble putting a body on someone in m2m. I shudder to think the rebounding troubles we would've faced in zone.

Other than the lightning quick treys by Carter that took place within about a minute's time, eATMe's runs came from crashing the offensive glass. There was a stretch in the second half where numerous buckets in a row came on offensive putbacks for them. Maddening stuff.

KC//CRIMSON
2/5/2009, 01:49 PM
Not getting all those rebounds completely ate our lunch. Good grief that was sickening to watch. Thank god for Chupacabra or eatme goes home with a W.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 01:50 PM
We were having enough trouble putting a body on someone in m2m. I shudder to think the rebounding troubles we would've faced in zone.

Other than the lightning quick treys by Carter that took place within about a minute's time, eATMe's runs came from crashing the offensive glass. There was a stretch in the second half where numerous buckets in a row came on offensive putbacks for them. Maddening stuff.

this is true. we looked like we had sandwich sized zip-lock bags on our hands on loose balls and contested boards for about 5 minutes. and lack of hustle, i remember a long board off a 3....our guys are standing around looking at their shoes...and ATM has 3 guys chasing the ball.

one of those 3's Carter hits is a prayer, Crocker is right in his face (and honestly was surprised he didn't called for a foul, he was up in his grill).

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 02:37 PM
the fact we are equally likely to crank out a 84% night as a 52% night is a bit iffy, but a lot of it depends on who shoots them.

However, that's what makes this team dangerous. If we can get hot from the line, then we can make a seep run in March.

I've gone through every emotion over our free throw shooting. I think that's ultimately going to seal our fate in March. Whether we win it all or drop early.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 02:45 PM
i don't want to get hot from the line, i want to shoot 75%.

i think a bad shooting night, unforced turnovers, zone defense, bad rebounding, and Blake in foul trouble scare me in March.

Sooner04
2/5/2009, 02:56 PM
i think a bad shooting night, unforced turnovers, zone defense, bad rebounding, and Blake in foul trouble scare me in March.
Combine those factors and we'd have a tough time beating the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

I'm just concerned with staying healthy. A turned ankle blew up 2002 and a bad groin derailed 2003. If we go into the Tournament remotely healthy we stand a great chance of going a LONG way.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 03:00 PM
Combine those factors and we'd have a tough time beating the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

I'm just concerned with staying healthy. A turned ankle blew up 2002 and a bad groin derailed 2003. If we go into the Tournament remotely healthy we stand a great chance of going a LONG way.

easy slugger, we've shown a propensity for all those things and you and I know a diabolical coupling can lead to an early exit.

i'm a skeptic.

TopDawg
2/5/2009, 03:02 PM
When we were down by 9, I didn't think we had a chance. When Blake hit those foul shots, I thought we had a chance. When I saw the energy that Juan was bringing, I was confident we'd win. That was all we needed. Energy.

But when Davis picked up his 4th foul and "Junior" picked up his 5th less than a minute later, I knew we were going to win. Finally, the boards would be ours!

TopDawg
2/5/2009, 03:04 PM

Are you referring to the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken? Home of the Ducks?

http://bombers.ithaca.edu/images/2008/4/16/duck_logo72dpi.jpg

Sooner04
2/5/2009, 03:31 PM
No, I was talking about these (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/ncf/schedule) guys.

easy slugger, we've shown a propensity for all those things and you and I know a diabolical coupling can lead to an early exit.
You're just like me. You're preparing now for crippling heartbreak ahead.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 03:58 PM
KC and 04,
I understand your 'realistic' preperation for heartbreak. We've all had to hang our heads or wipe the tear from our cheek. I've chronicled my ongoing hatred for the 1990 Tarheels. And I know 04 still wakes up in a cold sweat with thoughts of the 88 Jayhawks.

However, I'm starting to believe. We are on the brink of something special.

In years past, I've had trouble seeing us match-up with the elite teams. This year, I really believe we are as good, if not better than any of them.

I choose to keep the ill thoughts of injury or otherwise far away.

Positive thinking!

MikeInNorman
2/5/2009, 04:10 PM
I thought it was obvious in the first few minutes that Blake was off, physically. He had only run up and down the court a few times and he was doing the shorts/knees/hands combo at every break in the action. Did not have any energy for whatever reason.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 04:15 PM
Ah, I remember a year when we had a player of the year candidate, a McDonald's All-American guard, and a JUCO post player who could be counted on to make great plays all the time.

Then we played Manhattan. :(

Sooner04
2/5/2009, 04:23 PM
Thank God the Pyramid isn't on the list of potential first/secound round sites. That place has been a chamber of horrors for OU Basketball.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 04:25 PM
That Manhattan game has forever scarred me. I never think any OU lead is safe in basketball. We were KILLING those guys and the wheels just fell completely off.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 04:28 PM
Ah, I remember a year when we had a player of the year candidate, a McDonald's All-American guard, and a JUCO post player who could be counted on to make great plays all the time.

Much like 9/11, The Challenger Explosion and the attempted assasination on Regan, I can still remember where I was during that game.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 04:31 PM
Room number 22 at the Sigma Nu house sitting on a futon.

Sooner04
2/5/2009, 04:44 PM
Band Hall, Ardmore Middle School; Sony Watchman strategically placed in my open backpack.

Dying with every passing second.

TopDawg
2/5/2009, 06:10 PM
No, I was talking about these (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/ncf/schedule) guys.

Look at who their first opponent was this year. This can't be a good sign.

bri
2/5/2009, 06:20 PM
Much like 9/11, The Challenger Explosion and the attempted assasination on Regan, I can still remember where I was during that game.

I don't remember where I was during the game, but I remember running into James Mayden at O'Connell's during St. Pat's shortly after. Here's a summary of our conversation:

Me: Dude, what happened?
Mayday: *gives confused look, shakes head, shrugs* I don't know, man.
Me: (after pause) Your afro kicks *ss, man.
Mayday: Thanks.

Scene.

cheezyq
2/5/2009, 06:25 PM
Like 04, I wasn't overly worried at 68-59. Capel had just called a TO (only 1 left). The dial had officially been turned from "barely on" to "broil". The energy out of the huddle was noticeable. Texas A&M didn't have a prayer. They were cooked...well done, in fact.

But that brings me to what irritates me about this team the most. Tell me if you've seen this trend before...

OU gets up on the opponent by 15-20 points. Everything is running smoothly, the engine is oiled and running clean. Then...splat. The opponent gets within 5 points....the opponent ties the game....the opponent takes the lead (it's first since the score was single digits). Then, someone remembers there's a game to be won, and up goes the intensity...OU finishes the game with a run, winning by an artificial double-digit margin.

Just one time I would enjoy seeing us finish off a team in the first half. If OU takes that 15 point lead to 25, rather than letting it get to 8 by the half, the game is over and they can coast comfortably, resting some starters and getting some experience for the backups.

It's official, the Big 12 sucks at officiating. Texas A&M has a right to be pissed, but so does OU.

1. OU's first possession - Tony jumps in front of an Aggie, beating him to the rebound....foul on Tony? It's a loose ball. Whoever gets there first gets the ball, not a foul.

2. Palming - I think it was BJ Holmes who got called for palming. I totally understand this call....if he's using it to gain an advantage on the defensive player. But the guy was standing at half court waiting for the offense to get set. The nearest OU defender was 10 feet away.

3. Over the back - It was rare to see an OU offensive player block out a TAMU player, but when they finally did, the refs refused to call the over the back foul. Texas is also notorious for getting away with over the back calls, and this game has finally enlightened me to the Big 12 criteria for an over the back call. Apparently the criteria for a Big 12 "over the back" call is that you have to be under 6'10" for it to count. So if a guy is 6'10" or taller, it's ok to climb over the offensive rebounder to get the ball. Otherwise, you get a foul.

4. AJ pass to Blake on the run - I disagree that it was a stupid pass. AJ has beautiful touch on his over the top passes, and this time was no exception. Sure, Blake did have to make an athletic play, but he's capable of that. In fact, he caught the ball...but was fouled. Hell, the defender even looked over at ref when the whistle blew expecting it to be a foul call, but it was an out-of-bounds call.

5. Brian Davis no call - Turgeon would have every right to be mad about that no call....if it weren't for the fact that his team got away with about 2-dozen more no calls in the paint. TAMU should have had to empty the bench in order to keep a non-disqualified player on the court.

6. Charging - this call is designed for players who are out of control. When AJ releases the ball for a shot, and then 3-4 whole seconds later bumps into a flopping TAMU defender, that's not out of control. In addition, when an offensive player is jumping toward the basket, the defender does not have the right to come in underneath that player and claim a charging call. It is blocking, pure and simple.

7. Jump ball - Early in the game, a jump ball was called on a play involving Blake Griffin. Yes, the defender clearly tied up the ball....after he slapped Blake on the arm on his way to the ball. Blake goes up for the shot, the defender grabs Blake's arms and holds him down until he can get a hold of the ball. Sorry to disappoint you refs, but that's a foul, not a jump ball.

8. Principal of verticality - I don't even need to explain. The refs need to review this part of the college basketball rulebook again. They screwed up on both sides numerous times with this principle.

The good news about the officials in the Big 12 is that they're inconsistent. Occasionally they'll actually get a call right.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 06:47 PM
Thank God the Pyramid isn't on the list of potential first/secound round sites. That place has been a chamber of horrors for OU Basketball.

no doubt about it.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 06:49 PM
1988 is *by far* my most painful sports loss. nothing in OU football even comes close.

1990 was tough too. i watched that game in a motel in Richfield, Utah. i swam in the pool the next day amongst the leaves as the sun came up, pissed off.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 07:01 PM
4. AJ pass to Blake on the run - I disagree that it was a stupid pass. AJ has beautiful touch on his over the top passes, and this time was no exception. Sure, Blake did have to make an athletic play, but he's capable of that. In fact, he caught the ball...but was fouled. Hell, the defender even looked over at ref when the whistle blew expecting it to be a foul call, but it was an out-of-bounds call.

#11, i think, for ATM looked over at the ref after raking Blake's right arm on the replay.

the foul i don't get that doesn't seem to get called against ATM is the one where they put an open palm just below the shoulder blades of our guy and push as the ball comes off the rim in a rebound situation. it's amazing how many guys we have falling down or struggling to stay up right while ATM grabs a board. make no mistake, they outworked us on the boards....but i call this the Sasha Kaun no-call.

picasso
2/5/2009, 07:10 PM

was that the Jason Yanish missed wide open dunk game?

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 07:21 PM
Probably.

Here's a good trivia question to try to stump the sports know-it-all in your life:

Name the 7 D-1 basketball programs in New York City. I can usually come up with six and someone has to remind me of the seventh.

Half a Hundred
2/5/2009, 07:51 PM
Probably.

Here's a good trivia question to try to stump the sports know-it-all in your life:

Name the 7 D-1 basketball programs in New York City. I can usually come up with six and someone has to remind me of the seventh.

Lets see...

Difficult.

Columbia
Fordham
St. John's
Manhattan
LIU
Wagner
St. Francis

I cheated.

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 07:58 PM
i would have got 4, the first 4 that HaH lists. i would have guessed Hofstra, maybe.

LIU? one of my college buddies (from NYC) used to go see the Blackbirds (hey?) play sometimes at the old gym they had that closed maybe 5 years ago.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 08:23 PM
Fordham and Wagner are the ones I usually miss. I'll get one and forget the other. LIU I only get because they had that one guy (Kurt Thomas, but not the one you're thinking of) who led the nation in scoring and rebounding a few years ago.

And you have to specify St. Francis of New York. There's a St. Francis of Pennsylvania that also plays D-1. :D

cheezyq
2/5/2009, 08:23 PM
#11, i think, for ATM looked over at the ref after raking Blake's right arm on the replay.

the foul i don't get that doesn't seem to get called against ATM is the one where they put an open palm just below the shoulder blades of our guy and push as the ball comes off the rim in a rebound situation. it's amazing how many guys we have falling down or struggling to stay up right while ATM grabs a board. make no mistake, they outworked us on the boards....but i call this the Sasha Kaun no-call.

I totally agree, and yet another reason I've never liked Turgeon's teams. In the rules, if a player uses his body to displace another player from his established position, it's a foul. In the Big 12, it's called toughness. In the NCAA tourney, it's called as it's supposed to be, a foul. Technically even backing down a smaller man is a foul, but it rarely gets called. But that's what kills Big 12 teams in the tourney. They're trained one way by the officials, and everything changes at tourney time.

That's one thing I especially like about Blake's game. He'll work for position, but once the defender has established position, he doesn't just overpower through the guy, a la Shaq. He power dribbles one way or the other, or he'll drop-step, or he'll spin. All of those create space or get him closer to the basket without generating an offensive foul. As much as people say he needs to work on his offensive game for the NBA, he really is quite intelligent and skilled with his back to the basket. He's light-years ahead of most post players his age. His lone post weakness is that he needs to make quicker decisions in passing the ball sometimes....but you can't be perfect all the time.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 08:29 PM
Next random sports trivia question:

Name the eight legal ways for a baserunner to be on first base.

Half a Hundred
2/5/2009, 09:27 PM
Hit, walk, hit by pitch, dropped ball on swinging strikeout, pinch runner, fielder's choice, error

Can't remember the other one, but it's pretty arcane if I remember correctly.

Edit: Catcher interference. Always the one that gets me. Also, some list fielder interference instead of pinch runner. I hate that, because pinch runner is the only fun lateral thinking one of the group.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 09:30 PM
Thought it was a passed ball on a called third strike, not a swinging.

Pinch runner always gets me.

Doesn't have to be catcher interference. If the pitcher obstructs the baserunner he is awarded first base. At least I think so.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 09:31 PM
Name the only person to win team national championships in two different sports, each coming at a different school.

GrapevineSooner
2/5/2009, 09:40 PM
I was actually rather calm when eATMe when up by 9.

No, it wasn't because I was completely confident that our boys would be able to pull it out. If they came back and won, great.

But considering the number of times they've walked on the edge, I don't think a loss at this point in the season would be such a bad thing.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 09:42 PM
Name the only person to win team national championships in two different sports, each coming at a different school.

I was actually rather calm when eATMe when up by 9.

No, it wasn't because I was completely confident that our boys would be able to pull it out. If they came back and won, great.

But considering the number of times they've walked on the edge, I don't think a loss at this point in the season would be such a bad thing.

That's not even close to being right.

oumartin
2/5/2009, 09:51 PM
Nate Hybl

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 09:57 PM
Yep. :D

King Crimson
2/5/2009, 10:08 PM
i dont' care what any of you say, i was pissing mad as hell down by 9. and NOT optimistic.

Sooner98
2/5/2009, 11:47 PM
I was also not the least bit calm or optimistic, as those in Section LS6 can probably attest to.

Sooner04
2/6/2009, 10:16 AM
Just one time I would enjoy seeing us finish off a team in the first half. If OU takes that 15 point lead to 25, rather than letting it get to 8 by the half, the game is over and they can coast comfortably, resting some starters and getting some experience for the backups.
Baylor a couple of weeks ago. 58-31 at the half. An absolute mauling.

If we play like that every time we play somebody we think is "good", we'll be tough to beat. We seem to coast against lesser teams. Baylor has since proven they suck.

TopDawg
2/6/2009, 11:22 AM
In the rules, if a player uses his body to displace another player from his established position, it's a foul.

Tell that to Bryon Russell. ;)