PDA

View Full Version : Drowning lady Thunder halftime show

BigRedJed
2/5/2009, 09:28 AM
OK, for those of you who were there, you know what I am talking about, and I think a lot of other people heard about it. A few weeks ago "escape artist" Kristen Johnson did her take on Houdini's water tourture escape during a Thunder halftime. Her twist is that she did it completely out in the open, on view of everybody, no curtains or anything. Which made the whole episode that much more disturbing when she came really, really close to drowning.

Apparently she has done this before, and had some success with it, although you couldn't tell by her performance. Suffice to say that she won't be doing this again in the future, at least at NBA games. The Thunder front office was FLOODED with complaint phone calls.

So I just ran across a YouTube of the actual "performance," and figured I'd post it for those who care to watch. Whoever took the vid had some pretty decent seats for the game, BTW. Notice the guy in the white shirt with his shirt tails hanging out. He did the introduction, and identified himself as her husband. He's the one who kicks into panic mode when she starts struggling, and pulls her out. The rest of the people who were on the floor apparently initially thought the panic was part of the act, and froze, adding to the overall excitement. His mike was still on, and you can hear his panicky pleas for help.

All in all, quite the disturbing halftime show. If I had kids, I probably would have been pretty hot. However, I was instead there with my best buddy, and we were a little drinky, so instead we were chuckling at how horrible the situation was and making fun of the whole thing.

Do I really need to tell you that if you're squeamish or claustrophobic perhaps you should not watch?

qbvokC6xo20

BigRedJed
2/5/2009, 09:35 AM
I talked to someone who was in the concourse when it was going on, and they said the concourse TVs were a constant closeup of her face (you can see the multiple cameramen 6 feet away from the cylinder during the performance). They said it was that much more disturbing to watch her eyes bug and and to watch her make like a guppy, close-up.

In the video you can hear her barfing up water when they pull her out.

Condescending Sooner
2/5/2009, 09:42 AM
I was there. What was weird was the crowd had no idea how to react. We couldn't decide if it was part of the act until after she almost bought the farm.

Viking Kitten
2/5/2009, 09:52 AM
Can't say BRJ didn't warn me... but I did have have a minor panic attack just watching the video. Yipes. I'm gonna go take a valium now.

bri
2/5/2009, 09:55 AM
You misspelled "hit off the flask".

soonerbrat
2/5/2009, 09:58 AM
I always miss the good stuff. I don't think i've been to my share of Thunder Games.

Viking Kitten
2/5/2009, 09:59 AM
You misspelled "hit off the flask".

Zip it, Hills-n-Trees Boy.

BigRedJed
2/5/2009, 10:01 AM
I was there. What was weird was the crowd had no idea how to react. We couldn't decide if it was part of the act until after she almost bought the farm.
My buddy was CONVINCED that it was part of the act. I kept asking him why in the hell failure would be part of the act.

I remember when Doug Henning used to do it, and going past the announced time and having the crew become panicky were a part of the deal, and a hooded assistant would come running out with an axe, and they would rip the curtain away to reveal... ...an empty tank. And then the axe-wielding assistant would rip off his hood and reveal... ...a soaking wet Doug Henning. THAT is showmanship. A legit near-drowning, escape failure, and puking water are NOT showmanship.

Viking Kitten
2/5/2009, 10:03 AM
Damn, man. Everyone's a critic.

bri
2/5/2009, 10:05 AM
Zip it, Hills-n-Trees Boy.

Make me, woman.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/5/2009, 10:17 AM
When Doug Henning died his ashes were scattered at sea.

One last, big 'eff you' to water. Heh.

OUDoc
2/5/2009, 10:22 AM
When Doug Henning died his ashes were scattered at sea.

One last, big 'eff you' to water. Heh.

It's a shame I'll always remember him like this:

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/magicians/doug-henning/10044040.jpg

And kids wonder why adults who lived through the 70's HATE the 70's so much.

soonerbrat
2/5/2009, 10:59 AM
Am I missing something in doc's post?