PDA

View Full Version : UT's home field again will have synthetic turf

bluedogok
2/4/2009, 11:31 PM
I know that OU doesn't play down here but it looks like Bevo won't be able to graze at DKR......

Statesman.com - UT's home field again will have synthetic turf (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/02/05/0205texturf.html)
Royal-Memorial Stadium will say goodbye to natural grass.

By John Maher
AMERICAN STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, February 05, 2009

When Texas played Texas A&M at Royal-Memorial Stadium this past November, players from both football teams slipped on the grass field, which also started flying up in clumps.

Now, after a dozen years, grass will be getting the boot from UT's home field.

At a meeting of the men's athletics council on Wednesday, DeLoss Dodds, UT's men's athletic director, said part of the $27 million south end zone construction project will include the replacement of the stadium's natural grass field with a synthetic turf.

Dodds acknowledged that some considered a grass field an advantage in recruiting, but said there were problems with growing the Bermuda grass and that an artificial field could withstand more use.

Later, at a news conference, Longhorns coach Mack Brown said his team will play on an artificial surface next season after the grass is used for spring practice. Brown said a turf company had not yet been selected.

"We have agreed that we will go with whatever the department feels is best," Brown said.

The price of a synthetic field can run from $400,000 to a couple of million dollars. This past summer, a $1.2 million renovation of House Park included the installation of an artificial turf field, along with upgrades of lighting, locker rooms and the press box.

Artificial turf fields are no longer as hard and unforgiving as the original AstroTurf, which was installed in the Astrodome in 1966 . Many artificial turf fields now use rubber pellets from ground-up tires as a filler in the synthetic grass, and the surface has become increasingly popular with professional, college and high school sports teams.

"It's safe. It's really, really good," Brown said. "It's much better than what we remember as AstroTurf."

Texas played its home football games on grass through 1968. In the summer of 1969, UT installed AstroTurf inside Royal-Memorial. The cost for the turf and a new Tartan track was $575,000.

After decades of using artificial turf and running through five fields, UT switched to natural grass in 1996 at a cost of $1.25 million. Texas A&M had ripped up its artificial turf and switched to grass at Kyle Field a few months earlier.

At UT, a sophisticated drainage and watering system was supposed to make the grass field able to withstand the extremes of Texas weather. In 1999, the field at Royal-Memorial was lowered by seven feet to create more stadium seating, and in 2002 the original Prescription Athletic Turf was replaced with Bermuda grass. That Bermuda is over-seeded with rye, which Brown said has a tendency to "sweat" and become slippery.

The last time UT switched from natural grass to an artificial surface, in 1969, the Longhorns won a national championship.

starclassic tama
2/5/2009, 02:32 AM
and didn't win another one for 36 years

KingDavid
2/5/2009, 02:36 AM
and didn't win another one for 36 years

heh.

ouleaf
2/5/2009, 01:26 PM
I love it when a stadium still has a natural grass field, especially Owen Field. There is just something more majestic about it. I hope we never go back to the artificial stuff.

With that said, I do see why the new artificial turf is almost everywhere now. It costs far less to maintain, which saves teams/cities/schools a lot of money in the long run.

starclassic tama
2/5/2009, 04:44 PM
sooner04 negged me, citing the fact that they won the UPI poll in 1970. and we (bama fans) all know UPI titles count!

fadada1
2/5/2009, 07:03 PM
in my opinion, texas is just being lazy and just had to lay-off a good number of workers. asshats.

47straight
2/6/2009, 11:23 AM
Very appropriate for UT to have a fake field.

Boomer38Sooner
2/6/2009, 11:27 AM
Although i hate Texas, this is a good, "green" decision

texas bandman
2/6/2009, 11:32 AM
Field turf is really pretty good. It is not hard like the Astroturf we had in the early '80's and field turf drains extremely well making rain less of a factor than with grass fields.

cjames317
2/6/2009, 04:29 PM
... but it won't affect sMack's recruiting pitch: "We've got pretty good grass in Austin."

JLEW1818
2/6/2009, 04:30 PM
obama already at it

bluedogok
2/6/2009, 10:12 PM
At UT, a sophisticated drainage and watering system was supposed to make the grass field able to withstand the extremes of Texas weather. In 1999, the field at Royal-Memorial was lowered by seven feet to create more stadium seating, and in 2002 the original Prescription Athletic Turf was replaced with Bermuda grass. That Bermuda is over-seeded with rye, which Brown said has a tendency to "sweat" and become slippery.
What I thought was telling is they were too arrogant (and cheap) to go back with Prescription Athletic Turf when they lowered the floor to get more seat$$. They got rid of a designed turf system and thought they could just grow grass in its place, if they would have replaced it with the same system they probably wouldn't have had those problems on the field. Dolphin Stadium has PAT and they deal with a whole lot more rain than we do here during our 18 month drought.

Flying Scotsman
2/6/2009, 11:23 PM
What will Bevo eat and where will Bevo poop?

tomtom
2/7/2009, 07:57 AM
Deloss Dodds is still alive?

CobraKai
2/10/2009, 04:24 PM
I heard it was to stop the cheerleaders from grazing.

Flagstaffsooner
2/13/2009, 02:33 PM
Mack likes wiping his butt on synthetic better that grass.
http://www.dlisted.com/files/tobyhotslutscooting.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
2/15/2009, 05:22 AM
I'm just thinking it'll go well with their synthetic spirit and pride.