PDA

View Full Version : Sad time for the jkjsooner family

jkjsooner
2/4/2009, 07:52 PM
About a month ago I posted for prayers for my mom who was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.

I finally had a chance to come back to Oklahoma and see her. I was shocked by what I saw. She has aged 20-25 years since Thanksgiving. She went from a youthful looking 65 to looking like she's 90. I'm 37 and a lady in the emergency room asked if I was her grandson...

We got her to the hospital yesterday for her second round of chemo. I noticed that she was clearly the weakest person there. (It wasn't even close; I'm surprised they let her do it.) About 3.5 hours into it they had to rush her to the emergency room. After stabilizing her they did some tests and discovered what was a softball sized cancer a month ago is now about the size of two footballs. It is putting pressure on her heart and her days are very numbered. The chemo has not been successful. I'm really mad at myself for allowing her to inject poisons into her body at this point.

My mom has been sick for at least a year in a half. A missed diagnosis of Lupus delayed the real diagnosis. For whatever reason, once she was diagnosed, the cancer just exploded. I suspect that she got so weak that her body had no chance to put up a fight.

You hear stories about people getting cancer and dramatically changing within a few weeks. When it's someone this close to you it's just unbelievable.

I just pray that these last few days are comfortable and peaceful. I thank God that I planned this trip home in time.

I probably should add since it is the assumption with lung cancer that my mom did indeed smoke. I believe she did from about '66 to '86. I'm so glad she stopped as this could have happened much sooner. I sure wish she would have never picked up that first cigarette.

The one legacy she left is that none of her children ever dreamed of smoking. We saw how hard it was for our parents to quit and she begged us never to start and we listened. For the life of me I just don't understand what the kids nowadays are thinking when they smoke that first one.

olevetonahill
2/4/2009, 07:54 PM
Prayers for you and yer Family Bro .

jkjsooner
2/4/2009, 07:58 PM
Prayers for you and yer Family Bro .

Thank ya man.

MojoRisen
2/4/2009, 08:00 PM
I tell myself, I can't quit smoking... Stories like this help that out. I smoked now for 15-16 years and I am 32 years old.

Anyhow prayers for ur Mom, U & your family - hope you guys get some QT..

Mixer!
2/4/2009, 08:02 PM
Prayers sent.

TUSooner
2/4/2009, 08:07 PM
Prayers for you and your mother. My own mother went on the last day of 1976. What I saw leading up to that day haunts and saddens me to this day. But there it is.
Be with her and let her know you love her. That's the only thing.

jkjsooner
2/4/2009, 08:11 PM
I tell myself, I can't quit smoking... Stories like this help that out. I smoked now for 15-16 years and I am 32 years old.

Anyhow prayers for ur Mom, U & your family - hope you guys get some QT..

Mojo, we can all get cancer. I sure didn't mean to scare you or discourage you. Here's wishing good health to everyone on this board.

On another note, I've been concerned about the economy. I sure wish my mom had a reason to be concerned about it. Kinda puts it in perspective....

jkjsooner
2/4/2009, 08:16 PM
You know what's really hard. This morning I walked in and my mom, through her extremely weak voice, asked, "Who are you?" It was a little moment that brings light on what Alzhiemers families go through daily.

She's been pretty confused today. I don't know if it's due to the chemo, the lack of oxygen to her brain, her pain meds, or a sign that the cancer has spread to her brain....

Very tragic. Sixty five is just not as old as I used to think...

Curly Bill
2/4/2009, 08:28 PM
Prayers sent for you and yours.

VeeJay
2/4/2009, 08:32 PM
God bless and prayers for you jkj.

royalfan5
2/4/2009, 08:47 PM
Prayers sent.

Harry Beanbag
2/4/2009, 09:01 PM
Prayers.

A Sooner in Texas
2/4/2009, 09:55 PM
Prayers here, too, and I'm so glad you are able to be with her. God bless you both.

bluedogok
2/4/2009, 10:16 PM
The one legacy she left is that none of her children ever dreamed of smoking. We saw how hard it was for our parents to quit and she begged us never to start and we listened. For the life of me I just don't understand what the kids nowadays are thinking when they smoke that first one.
Sorry to hear that, I have seen more than I care to remember go through such treatment....and it isn't just cancer.

My grandfather died of emphysema when I was 18, he was in his early 60's and spent a TOTAL of 4 months out of the hospital (a few days here and there a week or two once in awhile) during the last 4 years of his life. When you see your grandfather going through that when you are 14 year old, it kind of focuses you on reasons not to smoke and pushed my father to quit as well, which he has been smoke free for about 27 years now after having smoked for almost 30 years. It's never too late to quit......

Boomer.....
2/5/2009, 08:36 AM
So sorry. Prayers sent.

OU4LIFE
2/5/2009, 08:48 AM
in for prayers.

My thoughts are with you and your family during this trial of faith.

stay strong.

nmsoonergirl
2/5/2009, 10:28 AM
I'm very sorry. Prayers sent.

Oldnslo
2/5/2009, 10:47 AM
I'm so sorry, jkj. Prayers to you and yours.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 10:50 AM
jkj,
Hang in there brother. I'm sure this is a very rough time for you and your family. I noticed that you blamed yourself for some of the situation (the chemo). Don't. There is no way of knowing how this was going to turn out.

As tough as things are now, it's great that you did make the trip home.

It's not always clear-cut, but the big man upstairs has a plan for everything he does. This is no different.

Take care of yourself, and know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

frankensooner
2/5/2009, 10:57 AM
Thoughts and prayers sent.

Howzit
2/5/2009, 12:51 PM
:(

Very sorry jkj.

85Sooner
2/5/2009, 12:58 PM
God Bless you and yours during this difficult time.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2009, 04:19 PM
Prayers.

My MIL has COPD from 40 years of smoking. She is slowly drowning, yet doesn't realize what is really happening other than "she can't breathe like she used to..." I and my wife don't have the heart to tell her what is really happening, then again I don't think she would listen.

Smoking is bad and if I were czar for a day, I would outlaw cigarettes.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2009, 04:23 PM
Sorry.

OUHOMER
2/5/2009, 04:26 PM
Man, sad to hear, Prayers head your way

I Am Right
2/5/2009, 04:29 PM
I am so sorry.

proud gonzo
2/5/2009, 07:30 PM
sorry to hear that, man :(

Tailwind
2/6/2009, 03:44 AM
Truly sorry for your trials. I hope she can go peacefully and before she is in too much pain. You will always miss her, but she will always be in your heart.

DBrown
2/6/2009, 05:27 PM
Someone I used to know told me,"While your loved one is still able to
carry on a conversation,get them on video(audio)at least and get as much
footage as possible;you'll treasure it like you wouldn't believe!"
I'm glad I took that advice,I hope that will help you and may you
find comfort during this most trying time.

SOONER44EVER
2/6/2009, 09:59 PM
Your Mom and your family are in my prayers. We lost my Mom from the same thing a year and a half ago so I know what you are going through. All you can do is keep her as comfortable as you can and make sure she knows how much you love her.

Czar Soonerov
2/7/2009, 01:27 AM
So sorry JK, prayers sent.

Chuck Bao
2/7/2009, 02:21 AM
I have to thank you for sharing and bringing out the dire consquences of smoking.

You, your mom and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. God be with you.

GrapevineSooner
2/7/2009, 09:51 AM
Very sorry to hear this news.

You'll be in my prayers this weekend.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2009, 12:42 AM
So Sorry to hear this. I hate cancer with the heat of a billion suns.

jkjsooner
2/8/2009, 11:15 AM
My mom passed away on Friday at 3:00 PM. In the final hour it was peaceful and she was surrounded by all of her children and other family.

Thank you guys so much for all the kind words. I think her peaceful passing was the result of all the prayers.

Viking Kitten
2/8/2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. This stuff is never easy.

jkjsooner
2/8/2009, 05:49 PM
I tell you, I have a couple of things to be very thankful for. First, my wife and I got married September 17 months ago. Her mother passed away last summer and now my mom passed away. We didn't know it at the time but we're very fortunate to have all of our parents at our wedding.

My wife also just found out she's pregnant about a month ago. It's really too early to share that information to family but I did tell my mom before she passed and she was extremely happy with the news.