PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Oklahoma Wide Receivers 09/10 Season

MojoRisen
2/4/2009, 04:53 PM
OK, looks like we have only been signing 2 WR for the last several years. Here is what we have in the cubbard. I would like peoples opinions on who is going to step up and replace our 3 Sr. WR that are moving on.

Wide Receiver
Name Pos. Yr. Exp. Ht./Wt. Hometown (last school)
85 Ryan Broyles WR Soph. RS 5-11/175 Norman, OK (Norman)
8 Brandon Caleb WR SR. 2V 6-2/196 Richmond, GA (Ft. Union Military Academy)
24 Dejuan Miller WR Soph. HS 6-5/200 Metuchen, NJ (Metuchen)
4 Jameel Owens WR Soph. HS 6-3/200 Muskogee, OK (Muskogee)
80 Adron Tennell WR Sr. 3V 6-4/191 Irving, TX (Irving HS)
4 Corey Wilson WR Soph. RS 6-0/182 Carrollton, TX (Creekview HS)
Cameron Kenny JR
Jaz Reynolds FR

Here's mine:

Broyles: Proven, will get the ball a lot more next year. Bradford and Broyles are on the same page and I expect big numbers from him.

Tennell: Number 3 WR in 06, dude is 6-5 and has played sparingly since freshman year, blew out a knee in Soph Season. Is he going to amount to a player he was projected to be???? Not sure what to expect

Caleb: Guy is good on special teams and made a couple of catches last year and ran some dudes over. He is Big and Strong but I don't think run's any faster than a 4.6 forty. Not sure what to expect

Owens: Awesome Prospect, dropped balls last year when I saw him play. Hopeful he is a deep threat- big , strong and fast WR.. all the tools can he hold onto the ball?

Miller: Awesome Prospect, dropped balls last year when I saw him play. Another hopeful on deep balls? Tall, Rangy, Fast.

Corey Wilson: Had rave reviews his redshirt year, did not hear anything about him this year.. Not sure what to expect- if he is anything like his brother he will be solid but never Super Star or All Big 12 first/Second team caliber.

Cameron Kenney: This kid looks big, Strong and Fast... Has played college ball so speed adjustment will not be that bad for him. I expect big things from this guy and don't expect his stats to fall off much from his Juco days with Bradford throwing too him. 40 catches 600 yards kind of guy.

Jaz Reynolds: Tall, Rangy guy with decent speed - probably a Red Shirt candidate.

Moses Madu: May get a lot of PT in the Slot????

Kenney, Miller, Owens, Broyles Start
Tennell gets meaningful minutes
Madu gets meaningful minutes
Caleb will get some minutes

meoveryouxinfinity
2/4/2009, 05:00 PM
He runs a 4.6 fourty?

<insert Florida joke>

MojoRisen
2/4/2009, 05:06 PM
Something like that and he can drink a few forty's! Seriously though

Do we got the goods to win it all??

Collier11
2/4/2009, 05:09 PM
OK, looks like we have only been signing 2 WR for the last several years. Here is what we have in the cubbard. I would like peoples opinions on who is going to step up and replace our 3 Sr. WR that are moving on.

Wide Receiver
Name Pos. Yr. Exp. Ht./Wt. Hometown (last school)
85 Ryan Broyles WR Soph. RS 5-11/175 Norman, OK (Norman)
Will be the #1 guy, will be a stud if we can develop a few guys around him...Look for Gresham to be even more of a focal point
8 Brandon Caleb WR SR. 2V 6-2/196 Richmond, GA (Ft. Union Military Academy) Doubt he does anything
24 Dejuan Miller WR Soph. HS 6-5/200 Metuchen, NJ (Metuchen) Could help out alot potentially
4 Jameel Owens WR Soph. HS 6-3/200 Muskogee, OK (Muskogee) Same as above
80 Adron Tennell WR Sr. 3V 6-4/191 Irving, TX (Irving HS) Would be nice to see him have a breakout yr
4 Corey Wilson WR Soph. RS 6-0/182 Carrollton, TX (Creekview HS) Hear nothing but good about this guy
Cameron Kenny JR I would expect him to play a bunch
Jaz Reynolds FR RS

Madu will be in the slot I would almost gaurantee it, I dont have any inside info but I believe obviously we will go more to the run. Although, look at our natl title yr and how unproven those WR's were, they turned out pretty good.

BoulderSooner79
2/4/2009, 05:11 PM
I'm not too worried about the drops from Owens or Miller. Practice time with the 1st team will fix those -- or someone else will play on Saturdays.

This group is has a lot more size than the starters from last year. Even with Chaney last year, we never really took advantage of size match-ups. I guess that was Gresham's job ;). I expect that to change this fall. I have to assume Sam won't have as much time behind the new line and will have to throw into tighter spots. Throwing to a physical guy that has good hands and can use his body to box-out is a great way to beat tight coverage.

Owens - will become the other big, go-too guy.
Miller, Kenney - big play threats.
Broyles - needs to be more consistent as the open field runner. Disappeared in some games last year including title game.
Gresham - will continue to keep the DC's from sleeping. Maybe he will not have the obligatory 1 drop/game.

I could see DM used in the slot! We need to get Calhoun on the field and DM is a very good receiver.

soonerfan28
2/4/2009, 05:20 PM
I think the starters will be Broyles and Madu with Owens and Miller off the bench. I think Broyles fits more in the slot but I think with Calhoun already redshirted it's gonna be difficult to keep him off of the field so Madu will be in the slot. Miller and Owens both have redshirts to burn and I could see one of them redshirting this year if Kenney makes the rotation. I think we are fine at WR for the next couple of years, but we're gonna need to get some WR's in next years class. I have a lot of trouble seeing Tennell and Caleb getting on the field.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/4/2009, 05:21 PM
Something like that and he can drink a few forty's! Seriously though

Do we got the goods to win it all??

Caleb is undersized, but i think he can play the Manny role. He is probably not as much of a deep threat as Manny could be at times, but I think he is one of our faster WRs (he was a track star in VA). He's been on the cusp of starting for quite some time, but with all of our seniors at WRs, didn't make the 2 deep.

Miller is about 6'5 or 6'6. He is big but I would not expect him to come out as a Freshman and dazzle anyone. Gresham is our best big man. If he starts (I don't think he will) I doubt he will be Sam's go to receiver. I'm not that impressed. I think Owens will be more of a threat and probably Tennell too.

Broyles started out hot but was later lost in our offensive machine, which produced a new star every week. It's almost like he has to prove himself again (sorta like DeMarco Murray).

htownsooner7
2/4/2009, 05:37 PM
Does anyone have inside info on whether they expect Kenney to compete for a starting job right away? JUCOs are so hit or miss and it seems like he'll be behind guys that have been practicing for two years.

MojoRisen
2/4/2009, 05:41 PM
Hum,

I guess we could split Gresham out a lot more, if Madu is good enough to start at the slot, he should play there 100%.

Broyles = Iggy
Owens = Cheany
Kenney = Manny

Madu
Miller
Tennell
Caleb
Wilson

Hannah could also split out...

We maybe better next year than this year at the position.

JLEW1818
2/4/2009, 05:43 PM
Cameron Kenny will have a quick impact.

soonerfan28
2/4/2009, 05:56 PM
I think we'll definitely see Gresham split out more with Eldridge and Clapp back.

TXBOOMER
2/4/2009, 07:55 PM
I would have a lot less of a smelly opinion if I saw them workout and practice. But I believe Tennell, Caleb and Broyles will be the starting three. It seems to be wide open other than Broyles.

TXBOOMER
2/4/2009, 07:59 PM
I think we'll definitely see Gresham split out more with Eldridge and Clapp back.

I would rather someone other than a corner try and cover him. I hope they don't split him out much.

OK2U
2/5/2009, 01:54 AM
As much as I'd like to see Calhoun/Johnson in the backfield next year, I get the impression that Stoops and Co. REALLY like Madu back there as a third option for fresh, shifty legs.
And, isn't Broyles' size is a better fit in the slot than out wide?

thoughts?

starclassic tama
2/5/2009, 02:28 AM
Caleb is undersized

6'2 200 is undersized for a receiver?

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2009, 08:09 AM
As much as I'd like to see Calhoun/Johnson in the backfield next year, I get the impression that Stoops and Co. REALLY like Madu back there as a third option for fresh, shifty legs.
And, isn't Broyles' size is a better fit in the slot than out wide?

thoughts?

Broyles size really doesnt matter.

Stoops and Company wants to have the best athletes on the field at all times.

With that said, look for Madu to be slot, Broyles out wide, and Calhoun being the third, maybe even second RB.

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2009, 08:09 AM
6'2 200 is undersized for a receiver?

In today's game...yeah.

A lot of coaches want and land 6-4 or taller guys.

Caleb will be fine no matter what...

If we have an undersized WR, that would be Broyles.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 11:17 AM
I think we'll be fine.

Not to knock our previous WRs, but I think Sam made them look a bit better than they actually were.

Per the Stoops press conference yesterday, Kenny should compete for a starting job. I expect him to earn a spot and contribute.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2009/10 group end up being a better overall unit than 07/08 was.

With the exception of Kelly, when was the last time we went into a season with a proven STUD at wideout?

I'll admit that I didn't expect much out of Manny or Ryan going into last season, and look what happened. I think the same will happen this year.

htownsooner7
2/5/2009, 12:29 PM
Hate to sound crass, but I simply cannot tell. Is Kenney white?

sooner94
2/5/2009, 01:07 PM
I think we'll be OK at receiver, especially with a QB as accurate as Sammy.

Broyles is a known quantity and Gresham (as stated above) will be able to split out wide.

And I think Madu will be a solid contributor. Will he play in the slot or split out wide?

OSUAggie
2/5/2009, 08:32 PM
In today's game...yeah.

A lot of coaches want and land 6-4 or taller guys.

Caleb will be fine no matter what...

If we have an undersized WR, that would be Broyles.

?

The best receiver in the country is 6'2" 210.

The 6'4" dudes are becoming less and less the norm with highly productive offenses. It's all about speed right now, because defenses are so far behind (at least around these parts) with their tackling in space.

------

I'm not sure if Broyles is the answer to step up for your #1. He seemed to disappear a bit down the stretch last year, but that might've been more of a product of so many damn weapons than him dropping off.

I see Miller/Owens grabbing the "#1" receiver, but I think #18 will be the leading pass-catcher (by a good margin). There are just so many ways that the OU offense can employ Gresham that it doesn't make sense to worry about making sure the other guys are getting a lot of looks.

I think the biggest issue for the OU offense is not waiting until midway through the season to start killing people off the ball and running effectively, which has happened the last two seasons. The running game needs to be sharp from day 1 to take pressure off of the green WR's and to keep Bradford clean when you have some relatively tough early season tests.

Not sure 80 will ever return to his abilities before the injury.

Sooner70
2/6/2009, 07:14 AM
Man, I bet that 4 star dude out of Georgia (Joshua Jarboe) that did the awful web post that got him kicked off the team by Stoops is thinking about what coulda been about now. He mighta coulda been in a WR catbird seat right now if he handn't done such a dumb thing. Wonder where he ended up, if anywhere? Probably did a Blomar and went to a smaller school or JC, if anyone would have him.

I'ts continually amazing how these young athletes do such dumb things that can compromise their futures.

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2009, 09:23 AM
Man, I bet that 4 star dude out of Georgia (Joshua Jarboe) that did the awful web post that got him kicked off the team by Stoops is thinking about what coulda been about now. He mighta coulda been in a WR catbird seat right now if he handn't done such a dumb thing. Wonder where he ended up, if anywhere? Probably did a Blomar and went to a smaller school or JC, if anyone would have him.

I'ts continually amazing how these young athletes do such dumb things that can compromise their futures.

Jarboe went to Troy and had to sit out this year because it was determined he transferred from OU even though he never really got here. He has already gotten into trouble at Troy - choked a female student if I recall correctly. I think he has mental problems, so it's hard to know if he has regrets.

westcoast_sooner
2/10/2009, 01:39 AM
The tape on Kenney was impressive. The guy is a burner and is shifty, so I'd expect that he's in the mix somehow.

We have so many guys at RB, with Murray, Brown, Madu, JJ and Calhoun that they're not all gonna get that much PT assuming they're healthy. Madu had a great game in relief in the CCG. Wondering if he might be another weapon in a receiver situation/would he consider moving if someone else were to beat him out during the spring? Assuming the other 4 are healthy, would we redshirt Justin Johnson and make Calhoun the 3rd option at RB in 09?

KingDavid
2/10/2009, 02:38 AM
Has anyone confirmed Madu's move to WR from RB? It seems like a forgone conclusion at this point, but I've not seen anything other than message-board speculation to confirm its reality.

KingDavid
2/10/2009, 02:41 AM
I think he has mental problems, so it's hard to know if he has regrets.

I'm not sure if that was meant to be a joke or if I should have laughed as hard as I did when I read it.

Either way, I want to thank you.

Collier11
2/10/2009, 09:51 AM
Has anyone confirmed Madu's move to WR from RB? It seems like a forgone conclusion at this point, but I've not seen anything other than message-board speculation to confirm its reality.

Stoops said yesterday that he will be in the slot more but will still be a RB

swardboy
2/10/2009, 05:22 PM
Hate to sound crass, but I simply cannot tell. Is Kenney white?

Somebody answer the guy! Us crackuhs need a role model....

goingoneight
2/10/2009, 09:33 PM
Brody Eldridge is white. You no likey punishing blockers?