PDA

View Full Version : Another tragic PSA from me:

SoonerStormchaser
2/4/2009, 04:26 PM
Well, it finally happened...Carolyn and I now have four little angels in our barely two years of marital bliss. What started out as a welcome New Years surprise turned into a depressing Super Bowl Sunday tragedy (and I'm not talking about the non-review on Kurt Warner's "fumble" at the end of the game).

I'm not writing this to garner sympathy...I'm writing this because it's time that people finally understand what my wife and I have suffered through in the past two years, because there is this negative stigma that surrounds the notion of a miscarriage that needs to fade away. I wish people could empathize what we're going through. But, unless you've been through this yourself, you can't find an appropriate point of view...so let me explain our viewpoint, as it is the same as the previous three.

As far as we're concerned, we just lost our fourth child. You pro-choice people can debate with us the definition of what constitutes life until you're blue in the face, but you will never convince us otherwise. Just like the other three: we had a baby..we got attached to it...and it died. We saw the ultrasound yesterday. At 7 weeks, it had a head, arms, legs and a torso...today, it is no more. Most people expect us to just accept the loss, snap out of it, and move on as if nothing happened. Well, that will never happen. Just like you mourn the loss of a close family member when they pass away, and can never quite get over it, the same applies here. It doesn't matter if the pregnancy lasted one week, one month, or went to term...

...Which leads me to the subject of what to say to someone who has gone/is going through this. A simple "I'm sorry," will do...but most people actually choose to say nothing, which sends out the signal to the affected persons that they just don't care. Then there are the select few (i.e. the majority of my wife's co-workers...yes, I'm calling them out because they're at the top of my **** list...I only bear two grudges in my life: one is from Ohio, the other is how they have treated my wife over the three years she has worked there) who like to throw some rather insensitive comments our way, with zingers such as:
"Well, at least she's got three kids from her first marriage." Thanks...how does that help lessen the pain of the four that she's lost in her second marriage? Come to think of it, what the hell does that say about the person in the marriage who has NO kids whatsoever?
"Well, she's older, you guys should've expected this." Thanks, that's of great comfort to us...welcome to my **** list.
"You guys can always adopt or get in-vitro/donor egg/etc." This one gets me a little. I know most people haven't exactly looked into the COST of doing any of these three. Adoption? If you're lucky, it'll cost you around $25K in fees, court costs, etc...and that's still no guarantee you'll get a child in the end (I've had family friends who got to the last step and got the rug pulled out from under them and all their money gone). In-vitro? Well, since my wife hasn't had any problems getting pregnant (just staying pregnant), we wouldn't even be considered (much less her age being a factor). Donor egg? ABSOLUTELY NOT! To me, that's the same as having sex with another woman. Not gonna happen.

That leads me to my final soapbox item. People, if you are blessed with that tiny miracle, for the love of God, STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT IT'S A BOY/GIRL! Carolyn and I have both seen it at our respective workplaces...and we want to just smack people upside the head. Good Lord...you have been blessed with a beautiful baby...shouldn't that be enough, considering you know what great pains and heartbreaks my wife and I have been through in a futile effort thus far?

I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart who have sent us sympathies and prayers. We are both truly blessed to have friends like you guys. To the rest of you who don't know what to say...don't worry, you're not on my **** list (you think you'd be reading this if you were?). This is just a PSA so that, and I hope it never happens, you are ever faced with a situation like this, you can at least get a feel from where we're coming from.

I'm gonna lay low on the boards for a bit...to both protect my account as I am in a state of heightened emotions right now (and thus am even more prone than normal to say stuff I don't/shouldn't mean to say)...and to take care of my wife, cause dealing with it just gets worse the more m/c's we have. But, since my wife and I are both stubborn as ****, we know that this probably will not be the last time we have to face this. We just hope and pray that the golden egg is still in there.

~Steve

fadada1
2/4/2009, 04:34 PM
sympathies to you and your wife. you sound like you have a great perspective on the situation and life, and i'm sure you will get though it in time. i truly hope you try again when the time is right.

best wishes to you and your family.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/4/2009, 04:53 PM
Man, best wishes to you and your wife. Definititely in our prayers.

SicEmBaylor
2/4/2009, 05:01 PM
I don't want to step out of line by saying this (though I clearly am), and I mean absolutely no disrespect about it whatsoever. We joke around about this a lot, but right now isn't one of those moments.

I understand your desire to have children by both of you, but I think your wife just may be at a stage in her life when she can't carry a child to term successfully. I'm not necessarily suggesting you give up, but I think it's entirely possible that it just isn't going to happen. I hope I'm wrong though and you two do end up successfully having a child because I'd say the two of you deserve to have it happen more than some people.

TUSooner
2/4/2009, 05:05 PM
I am indeed sorry for you and your wife.
A colleague had a miscarriage a few of years ago, but her closest friend asked that nobody say anything. I didn't, but it sure seemed wrong not to at least acknowledge her loss and show some care. Thanks for the education.

Boomer.....
2/4/2009, 05:12 PM
Condolences to you and your wife.

Chuck Bao
2/4/2009, 05:17 PM
My heart goes out to you and Carolyn. I obviously do not fully understand the pain and anguish that you are feeling. I only pray that you will hold each other and get through this together. Whether it is God's will to have children or not, never doubt that it is God's will that you are together and will continue to love and support each other.

OUHOMER
2/4/2009, 05:24 PM
SSC, I am truly sorry to hear about this.Hopefully in time it will come.

sooner n houston
2/4/2009, 05:33 PM
Payers out to you and yours, may God bless.

Viking Kitten
2/4/2009, 05:36 PM
I am indeed sorry for you and your wife.
A colleague had a miscarriage a few of years ago, but her closest friend asked that nobody say anything. I didn't, but it sure seemed wrong not to at least acknowledge her loss and show some care. Thanks for the education.

People handle things differently. Some women (I count myself in this group) really prefer not to discuss this type of traumatic, personal stuff. If her close friend suggested you not bring it up, you did the right thing.

olevetonahill
2/4/2009, 05:44 PM
Bro you Know How I feel , God Bless Ya both .

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/4/2009, 05:47 PM
Good luck to you both.

But be careful in assuming you're somehow unique and no one understands what you're dealing with. Be careful in assuming people should go to go to any real trouble to save your delicate state/feelings. It's not going to help you get through it and it's sure not going to serve your purpose.

Just some friendly advice. Again, good luck. I hope things work out.

royalfan5
2/4/2009, 05:48 PM
best wishes to you and your wife.

sooner_born_1960
2/4/2009, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Hot Rod
2/4/2009, 07:07 PM
My wife and I had this happen a year before our son was born and even just going through it once was hard enough. I can't imagine how hard this has been on you guys, but pray that you get your miracle one day. Wish you and your wife the best during this time.

jkjsooner
2/4/2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear this Storm. My wife just found out she was pregnant recently. I was hesitant to tell anyone until 2 or 3 months into it but my mom's sickness has rushed that decision.

Anyway, I wish you guys the very best. You will have another child someday and you all will be able to meet the others in heaven. It will be great to see how they turned out.

Curly Bill
2/4/2009, 08:27 PM
So sorry SSC. Prayers for you and yours.

mikeelikee
2/4/2009, 08:43 PM
My sympathy goes out to you, friend. Years ago, my wife and I experienced two miscarriages, before finally succeeding with our now-26-year-old OU graduate son.

Prayers going up--I am confident that children for you two are in God's divine plan.

AlbqSooner
2/4/2009, 08:58 PM
SSC, I have no idea how you feel other than what you have said here. I am truly sorry.

Glod Bless you and your wife.

Veritas
2/4/2009, 09:01 PM
That really sucks bro. Good luck.

Okla-homey
2/4/2009, 09:41 PM
my condolences.

A Sooner in Texas
2/4/2009, 09:49 PM
I'm truly sorry for you both...just know that you're in a lot of people's thoughts and prayers here - and elsewhere. Many people have no idea what to say or how to respond, but are probably still grieving with you.

Crucifax Autumn
2/4/2009, 10:28 PM
Sorry to her this. I don't know you as personally as some of the others, but I know you are human and I know it must be a pretty dark time and I wish you luck getting through it.

Oldnslo
2/5/2009, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry for your loss.

SoonerJack
2/5/2009, 12:43 PM
We had a miscarriage between our two boys. Very rough for a while. They are also very common. Give your wife lots of hugs.

85Sooner
2/5/2009, 12:54 PM
Steve,

We have been where you are. My heart goes out to you and your wife. May God bless you in the future and I agree with every point you made. Be well.

Williesan
2/5/2009, 01:36 PM
SSC - My wife and I were there 5 years ago. We know what you are going through and we know of that pain you are experienceing. It. Sucks. Big. Time.

Hang in there, and know our prayers are with you and your wife. Hopefully one day, you will be able to announce to us the joy...

Williesan

Boomer Mooner
2/5/2009, 02:03 PM
Sorry for your loss. Obviously you are already parents, but another child would surely be blessed to be born to you. Good luck to you and your wife.

8timechamps
2/5/2009, 02:53 PM
SSC,
Very sorry to hear the bad news. Try to keep in mind that God has a plan, even if it's not clear at the moment.

There are many others here (and in life) that have gone through this struggle. It doesn't make it any easier knowing that, but at least you know there are others that have and are feeling the same pain.

Good luck and God bless.

SoonersEnFuego
2/5/2009, 03:24 PM
I assume you have had the RH factor tested and if that's not the issue, then alot of Docs are suggesting regular injections of 17-alpha-Hydroxyprogesterone to help the mother stay pregnant. If you've tried these things, then I'm sorry and I hope everything works out for you guys in the end. Good Luck.

frankensooner
2/5/2009, 03:26 PM
Sorry man. Keep trying.

SoonerStormchaser
2/5/2009, 05:40 PM
I assume you have had the RH factor tested and if that's not the issue, then alot of Docs are suggesting regular injections of 17-alpha-Hydroxyprogesterone to help the mother stay pregnant. If you've tried these things, then I'm sorry and I hope everything works out for you guys in the end. Good Luck.

We're both A+...and she's been on regular progesterone cream/suppositories and had good levels even without it.

Part of me thinks something is up with placental development (her HCG levels, which measures placental growth, have been coming in low). The baby itself keeps growing, and my wife's supporting environment is good...it's the baby's supporting environment that's beginning to worry me.

SoonersEnFuego
2/6/2009, 12:28 PM
Dang, sorry. I've got no more suggestions other than maybe trying the injections. Sometimes the cream/suppositories route doesn't always get the best absorption, but if you say her levels are good, then I dunno. Just trying to give helpful suggestions rather than just saying "Sorry", which I really am.

I Am Right
2/6/2009, 02:57 PM
I am sorry. I do understand what you are going through. Look at the aviatar I use for posting. That is a picture of my lovely daughter who died 8/4/07. She was a senior at OU. She was 25 yrs old, and Like you, I will miss her forever.

NormanPride
2/6/2009, 03:50 PM
****. Sorry, man...

I will say, I was the third try, so while I don't know what you're feeling, I grew up around people that did. It's tough. It took until I was in my teens before my mom would talk to me about it.

OUMallen
2/6/2009, 05:40 PM
Sorry Storm. :(

Red October
2/6/2009, 07:45 PM
SSC. My prayers to you and your family.

You are right, it is very tough and frustrating. I have been in your situation.. twice in fact. It is not easy. It isnt easy for you, and its double hard for your wife because she is just as emotionally attached, not to mention being physically attached. The only thing you can do for her is support her 100% to the n'th degree, and hold each other tight.

Just a bit of advice from someone who has been there.. Please, dont take "those" comments to heart. I know they are frustrating, but please do your best to let them bounce off you, your manhood or your wife's womanhood is certianly not the question, the intelligence level of those people.. hmmmm, that's different. Second, find a support group, whether it be at your church, a hospital, community center, whatever. We went to a counselor our doctor suggested. You guys arent alone. Third, put your trust in whatever higher power you believe in. Fourth, dont get discouraged and keep trying, that's the fun part right?? I know that may sound a little hollow, but it isnt intended to be.

It took us a couple years as well, and our daughter is 2 1/2 now. Hang in there, and best of luck!!!

Tailwind
2/7/2009, 06:16 AM
It is very sad to lose someone you never even got to meet. You start falling in love with the child the moment you are aware that there is a pregnancy....I can only imagine the pain of the loss. My sincere condolences.