PDA

View Full Version : Willie Warren, Austin Johnson, and Mason-Griffin

Readyfor8
2/4/2009, 06:03 AM
Ok so I have been told time and time again that if Willie Warren is to make it to the next level he is going to have to play point, his size for the NBA lends itself to point guard and he isn't big enough to play a 2. So do you agree? Willie is 6-4, Kobe is 6-6... Are two inches really going to keep Willie from making the next level at a 2 guard spot?

If so, should he be switching up getting point guard experience with AJ, since AJ has been hot behind the arch except for Iowa State, can AJ and Warren switch up the 1-2 spot and get Warren some play time at the position in the half court game (not just bringing the ball up the floor?)

And I know what you all are thinking... AJ is graduating this year, Willie can take the point next year, but the problem is we have this kid see, he is a top 30 recruit and he has 4 stars next to his name, his name is Tommy Mason-Griffin. (By the way I already have a great sign for him "TMG is making the defense grind its teeth") This guy is supposedly a great Point Guard and should be able to come in and play right away, leaving Willie who probably wants to leave after next year to play the 2 again.

So with two established point guards, can Willie make the NBA as a 2 or will he have to displace one of the PG's to get play time at the point before he can move on to the next level?

stoopified
2/4/2009, 11:27 AM
If you can shoot you can play the two in the NBA,regardless of size.

tommieharris91
2/4/2009, 11:37 AM
Willie will be fine. Don't worry. He's projected to be a lottery pick in 2010 as an SG.

cheezyq
2/4/2009, 05:15 PM
DWade is 6'4", and I don't think he's a traditional point. WW should be fine.

OUSKINS
2/4/2009, 05:17 PM
It's a good question: I'm one of those people that views WW much more as a PG in the NBA, but his recent accuracy from deep certainly makes him a more viable SG prospect at the next level. Also, defense matters on defense more so than an offense-- WW would have to guard guys like Kobe, and I'm not sure that's a great match-up for him (not just Kobe of course, but all of the bigger guards).

Also, when I look at WW, I see a guy's whose BEST attributes are driving, penetrating, passing, finishing, etc... even though he CAN hit the three, he's better when he initiates the offense-- sounds like a PG to me. Assuming he comes back next year (which isn't a certainty), it will indeed be interesting to see how he integrates with TMG.

87sooner
2/5/2009, 12:28 AM
you don't worry about getting guys ready for their nba position.....you worry about winning games.
and you win games with aj at the point and willie at the 2.

KingDavid
2/5/2009, 04:43 AM
you don't worry about getting guys ready for their nba position.....you worry about winning games.
and you win games with aj at the point and willie at the 2.

Exactly. The best way for Willie to improve his draft stock is to do whatever it takes to make our team the best it can be. If we win the national championship this year or next year, he'll be a top ten pick even if we move him to the five;).

soonerfan28
2/5/2009, 10:00 AM
I think if Mason-Griffin is all that he's supposed to be then Warren will be at the 2 next year and we'll be just fine. If Griffin were to miraculasly come back and I don't think he will then we could be a preseason #1. That's next year though.

ouleaf
2/5/2009, 02:11 PM
As far as AJ and WW mixing up PG duties, I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't think AJ would be very effective as a 2 either. I do think we will see WW switch it over to PG next season though.

the_ouskull
2/5/2009, 11:04 PM
Willie may handle the ball more early in the season until the new kid is completely comfortable with the offense... and also to give Willie a bit of experience doing so. But, I think that we're going to try to hand the reins to Mason-Griffin if he can ball. And, as for two inches not making much of a difference, I beg to differ. In fact, my girlfriend and I are due in mid-March. :D

the_ouskull

BTC
2/7/2009, 12:11 AM
TMG can indeed ball. I have watched him 4 times in person so far this year and plan to watch as many of his remaining games as possible. There is a chance Madison might not make the playoffs. They are currently tied for 3rd and IIRC, the top 2 teams go.

I have written some information on two of the four games I have been to. If anyone is interested, you can find the info on www.busttheclock.com (http://www.busttheclock.com). Eventually, I will download the film I have taken of some of his games. Easier said that done at this point.

the_ouskull
2/7/2009, 10:40 AM
I gotta be honest, I feel worse after reading your post, not better. I generally like to see us nabbing players that get their teams into the playoffs. What's going on with that? Really, really tough conference? Injuries? What?

the_ouskull

BTC
2/7/2009, 12:45 PM
I gotta be honest, I feel worse after reading your post, not better. I generally like to see us nabbing players that get their teams into the playoffs. What's going on with that? Really, really tough conference? Injuries? What?

the_ouskull

Don't feel worse. TMG will be a very good player for you all. District 20-5A is extremely tough. Bellaire is the 4 time defending champs and they are in a dog fight this year with Chavez for first.

This year just isn't one of Madison's best. They are still one of the area's top teams.

Read this article. I think it will put your mind at ease.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/5984777.html

humblesooner
2/10/2009, 05:34 PM
... his name is Tommy Mason-Griffin. (By the way I already have a great sign for him "TMG is making the defense grind its teeth")

You might want to leave the sign at home.
You are thinking of TMJ.

Just sayin...

the_ouskull
2/10/2009, 07:26 PM
I'm glad YOU said it. I've got enough of a reputation around here...

the_ouskull

BTC
2/10/2009, 07:53 PM
TMG and Tiny Gallon were named to the 2009 Jordan Brand Classic tonight. You can see the rest of the players participating in the game at www.busttheclock.com (http://www.busttheclock.com)

For those of you that haven't seen TMG play, you will be rather impressed. Granted this game is an all-star game, but his skills are undeniable.

soonerfan28
2/11/2009, 12:36 PM
Next years lineup could look something like this.

C-Blake Griffin
F-Kyle Wright
F-Juan Pattillo
G-Willie Warren
G-Tommy Mason-Griffin

But this is more likely what it will look like.

C-Orlando Allen
F-Kyle Wright
F-Juan Pattillo
G-Willie Warren
G-Tommy Mason-Griffin

Overtime
2/11/2009, 05:31 PM
Next years lineup could look something like this.

C-Blake Griffin
F-Kyle Wright
F-Juan Pattillo
G-Willie Warren
G-Tommy Mason-Griffin

But this is more likely what it will look like.

C-Orlando Allen
F-Kyle Wright
F-Juan Pattillo
G-Willie Warren
G-Tommy Mason-Griffin

Who's this Kyle Wright fellow? :)

I think if Blake stays, you're probably right, we should start 3 big men so they aren't all just sitting on the bench. But if Blake goes, it may just be Allen and Patillo, keeping 3 guards on the floor with Crocker still starting for his senior season. Or did I miss something about Crocker going for the draft? :)

Readyfor8
2/11/2009, 06:46 PM
You might want to leave the sign at home.
You are thinking of TMJ.

Just sayin...

The comparison is supposed to be that TMG and TMJ sound alike. It's not like I have made TShirts or something, just a thought.

But then again no body ever accused me of being funny.