PDA

View Full Version : Carl Pendleton...

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/3/2009, 04:22 PM
...was just in the same OU New Hire Benefits/Retirement seminar as me. Wished I would've had the chance to talk to him, but didn't want to pester him while he was filling out his forms.

Always polite and a class act, even when asking about medical coverage. ;)

KingDavid
2/3/2009, 05:40 PM
Nice!

47Wins
2/3/2009, 09:47 PM
Maybe I missed the news what position is Carl taking at OU?

Ardmore_Sooner
2/3/2009, 10:11 PM
Hung out with Carl tonight. Great guy. He wouldn't have cared if you would've talked to him.

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/3/2009, 11:25 PM
Hung out with Carl tonight. Great guy. He wouldn't have cared if you would've talked to him.

Oh I'm sure he wouldn't have. Just didn't want to bug the guy while he was busy, plus I had my own forms to fill out, too. Benefits/Retirement info isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to figure out.

tommieharris91
2/3/2009, 11:27 PM
I talked to him after his last class as an undergrad. He seemed like everything the stories were made out to be. He's a good guy.

SteelClip49
2/4/2009, 09:12 AM
You doing Teachers Retirement or if you are under 28 you doing a Voluntary Retirement plan?

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/4/2009, 09:20 AM
You doing Teachers Retirement or if you are under 28 you doing a Voluntary Retirement plan?

Teachers Retirement and the DCP. Someone I work with that I trust with financial questions told me that OTRS is more or less free money, and will mean much more for you later on if you start early. Your thoughts?

SteelClip49
2/4/2009, 02:42 PM
I work at the OUHSC and since I am 25 and have not worked for more than 3 years here, I am not eligible for the OTRS but I can get involved in the Voluntary options. I still need to get on board with it and go from there.

OklahomaTuba
2/4/2009, 03:28 PM
Very cool, but I wouldn't be counting on the OTRS being there for me if I were under 35 and expecting it.
Better start saving now.
Just say'n.

yermom
2/5/2009, 01:47 AM
now you can opt out, i would...

when i was there it was mandatory and they didn't bother to tell me about the 7% off the top that was coming out of my check as i was negotiating my salary

the other crappy thing was that they wouldn't contribute to your 403(b) until you were there for three years or were 27. i'm not sure how age restrictions like that are legal.

it seems like the other option is better from what i've heard. the only way the OTRS seems like a good deal is if you actually retire from OU or some other state job that qualifies for OTRS