PDA

View Full Version : 50 years later, the music didn't die

Hot Rod
2/3/2009, 08:14 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28979987/

The wreckage of a single-engine Beechcraft Bonanza was scattered across a small area of snow-covered cornfield outside of Clear Lake, Iowa. The plane crashed into the ground suddenly, so most of the smoldering rubble was concentrated in one area. Three passengers — Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson, a.k.a. “The Big Bopper” — were ejected from the plane and died on impact, as did the pilot, 21-year-old Roger Peterson.

That happened on Feb. 3, 1959, exactly 50 years ago this Tuesday.

It was the most infamous plane crash in rock and roll history, aided somewhat in that distinction by Don McLean’s wistful ballad, “American Pie,” in which he referred to the event as “the day the music died.”

TUSooner
2/3/2009, 10:33 AM
Well, the death of music seems to have been greatly exaggerated, but it would have been interesting to hear especially what Buddy Holly would have done in later years.

yermom
2/3/2009, 05:13 PM
i don't know if i'd say greatly exaggerated. the influences Buddy Holly gave other rock and rollers was just huge.

i can't imagine hearing about 3 chart topping artists dying in the same plane crash now

the media frenzy would be insane

SoonerJack
2/4/2009, 08:43 AM
i can't imagine hearing about 3 chart topping artists dying in the same plane crash now

Wait. Would we get to pick who was on the plane?

And does it have to be just three?

Do whole bands count as one "artist?"

What if the total number was divisible by 3?

yermom
2/4/2009, 09:53 AM
heh