PDA

View Full Version : I dont undestand...

Bosley
2/2/2009, 08:14 PM
How we have an OU basketball game on ESPN2, both our programs are ranked 2. We have a pro basketball team now and people still are more interested in talking about a football season that ended a month ago.

I'm a OU football fan, I get it. I'm also an alum and am more interested in watching and talking about our top tier basketball programs than I am about taling about how much of a ****** the Florida fans are, how much the media sucks up to Tebow, or how Bomar is going to do in the draft.

Curly Bill
2/2/2009, 09:00 PM
...and if that suits you then great.

...if others would rather talk about the football season recently ended, or how Obama is the Messiah, then great for them.

...and for the record: I get where you are coming from, but different strokes...

soonervegas
2/2/2009, 09:22 PM
Your preaching to the choir over here my man. I agree 100 percent, but what can ya do....

OU football is the states identity.

Sooner04
2/2/2009, 09:58 PM
Most of the people eat up with OU football "only" have nothing else to talk about because their basketball team, Oklahoma State, sucks this year.

:)

oumartin
2/2/2009, 09:58 PM
Huge wimmens game tonight and can't even get a thread. Guess everyone was at the game

sooner2b09
2/2/2009, 10:29 PM
I feel the exact same way. Boy I love Oklahoma Football I love gameday its an amazing experience.

But I realize football is over and time to turn to my other passion; College Basketball. You can't beat March Madness its amazing.

Although I look forward more to football, I am loving this basketball season and realize it could be something special.

the_ouskull
2/2/2009, 11:28 PM
Let's go to our reporter in the field: "Skull, what do you have for us?"

Ah, Bosley. You, good sir, have stumbled upon your first encounter with the Cleti. (That is the MLA-approved spelling for the word designating "the plural of Cletus," by the way... =)

They are a nomadic group, bouncing from hot sport, to hot sport, regardless of the school. They are the ones that go to OU football games, OSU wrestling meets, and Tulsa whateveritisthatTulsasgoodat events. (For some reason not yet known, or extensively studied, however, the Cleti seem to avoid the roundball game. Some theories involving racism, their own lack of athleticism and/or height necessary to play basketball, (the blame laid on height by them, not by me...) and inbreeding are being bandied about... but there is currently to definitive evidence to date.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

the_ouskull, signing out

MrJimBeam
2/3/2009, 06:12 AM
What is this basket ball sport you speak of? I'm intrigued.

cjames317
2/3/2009, 12:25 PM
Well, tomorrow is national signing day. Everybody's busy passing along last minute info from their cousin's neighor's ex-brother in law that saw [insert recruit's name] wearing an [insert college of choice] cap.

Ton Loc
2/3/2009, 12:53 PM
Ah, the once a year, why isn't there more talk about OU basketball thread. Warms my heart every time it comes around.

I was going to write a long impassioned post about my thoughts and feelings on the topic,
but
the other 20 or so people that frequent these parts already know and share the same thoughts and feelings.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
2/3/2009, 01:28 PM
As was mentioned above Oklahoma is and always will be a college football state. But I do think the success of the teams is having a positive effect. The crowd seemed good last night at the FC for the game. I even switched over to the game from 24. Sucks CP lost her double-double streak. I think you can put that up with the LG hit streak in baseball that will never be broken. I think it takes a while for most to make the shift from football to basketball. I know it does for me. The football season has to end before I can shift my attention. And that includes the NFL season because watching the playoffs keeps football in you mind. Now I have shifted my total focus on the b-ball teams and look forward to a Final Four and a real NC.
Boomer Sooner

badger
2/3/2009, 01:54 PM
I've tried numerous times to get women's basketball discussions going and while they have a high count in viewership, they tend to sit dormant until I add a second post... in response to myself.

You can see the same thing to a different degree with men's basketball. People love to read and hear about how their teams are doing, but will rarely speak on it themselves.

Thus, I propose that OU fans are not disinterested in men's and women's basketball, they just don't personally have much to contribute to a discussion because they're fairly new at being fans to the sport college-wise. With football, OU fans have years upon years of experience of watching Little Joe vault opponents, Q tripod to a touchdown or freezing to death in Kansas City for a conference championship or win several championships in the 50s.

With basketball, what do those OU diehard fans say in a conversation they are fairly new to? "Um... Blake Griffin goes No. 1." "Bubba Paris is Courtney and Ashley's father." "Sherri Coale is HOT!"

(notice how these same comments are ones we hear repeatedly from sports announcers that seem to talking outta their you-know-wheres? hmmmmm...)

Thus, to avoid sounding like sports announcers talking outta their you-know wheres, Sooner fans leave the expert analysis to posters that seem to know what they're talking about, the ones that have been fans of the game for years.

I, personally, have only been a fan of women's basketball since it was assigned to me one fall of 2001. However, that's still much longer than many fans around here that are just starting to realize that Coach Coale has a new haircut but still makes opposing fans everywhere jealous compared to their manish woman in charge... who is actually a man.

Does this sound about right?

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
2/3/2009, 03:42 PM
However, that's still much longer than many fans around here that are just starting to realize that Coach Coale has a new haircut

Noticed that yesterday. Much hotter than usual;)

cjames317
2/3/2009, 04:14 PM
Noticed that yesterday. Much hotter than usual;)

And God's people said:

"This thread is worthless without pics!"

oumartin
2/3/2009, 04:25 PM
people don't speak their minds on basketball because we got people around here that like to beat down anyone with anything to say.

the_ouskull
2/3/2009, 05:05 PM
people don't speak their minds on basketball because we got people around here that like to beat down anyone with anything worthless to say.

Fixed that for ya.

the_ouskull

oumartin
2/3/2009, 05:19 PM
almost as worthless as Kelvin!

badger
2/3/2009, 05:27 PM
And God's people said:

"This thread is worthless without pics!"

Ehhh... ok, I guess... Here is Sherri Coale's old 'do:
http://www.seatwave.com/FileStore/SEASON/IMAGE/bette-midler_001207_MainPicture.jpg
Whoops! My bad, that was actually Bette Midler. Whatever, here is her new hairdo:

http://i40.tinypic.com/nv1x7m.jpg
This pic is from SS.com from the game last night. You know, "Hi Pat. I finally beat you! Hahahahahaha. No 1,000th win for you! Hahahahahaha. Perhaps you had 1,000 turnovers instead from that little guard with the No. 1 jersey? Hahahahahaha."

As for the beatdown if others don't like what you say, you may find that there is someone that doesn't like what you say... no matter WHAT you say. As such, I hope that occasional beatdowns or neg spek or posts reported or one-starred threads do not dissuade you from posting on any forum or any thread of any forum. If this really bothers you, you're probably on the wrong message board. Try Orange Power. Every post over there is a moral victory.

Ton Loc
2/3/2009, 05:42 PM
Try Orange Power. Every post over there is a moral victory.

Or bitching about those cheatin gooners.

Seriously, I don't feel like I've ever been beatdown by anyone. Disagreements maybe. But if that leads to more people getting involved then I'm all for it. :D

NormanPride
2/3/2009, 05:49 PM
The "beatdowns" here are nothing compared to the neg-fests and troll-havens of the football board. Baj is right, people just don't know what to say. If you've only watched for a few years, many people don't have much to compare with. That's why for the longest time, all the threads were "I miss billy ball" over and over and over again. It's all people knew.

badger
2/3/2009, 05:53 PM
Baj is right.

In the interest of complete disclosure, my birthday and Valentine's day are less than two weeks away.

oumartin
2/3/2009, 06:19 PM
I first got into OU basketball my 5th grade year. I am not good with history but I believe that was Waymans first year or Maybe his second. I loved Billy Ball. I tolerated Kelvins style because he did win games.

However he aliented a fan base with his style and his demeanor.

Capel has come in and recruited well and has played a style more appealing to the fans.

I'll always miss Tubbs but Capel is making it a little easier.
Do I miss Sampson? no, I do miss some of the kids he brought in but I will never miss him.

the_ouskull
2/3/2009, 10:56 PM
Heh. All this beatdown talk... I openly admit to being a basketball snob. I am. I played. I coach now. I'm also a just a good, old-fashioned huge fan. I don't necessarily mean to come across quite as harsh as I seem to, but someti.... I'm sorry, I can't keep that going. I DO mean to come across as harsh as I do. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first person to share my beer with you; total stranger or not, but I'm also the first to share my thoughts and opinions. Some people have a guv'nah on their talky-talky. I am not those peoples.

However...

If anybody ever feels beaten down by me, feel free to PM me and let me know. When my PM box fills up, I'll feel like I'm doing my job. Just remember, you can't spell "Devil's Advocate" without "Devil." But, in all seriousness, if anybody ever wants to ask (legit) questions, be it publicly or privately, I'd be more than happy to chip in my $0.02. I don't know it all. Hell, I don't know MUCH, but I'll share what I do know, just like the aforementioned cold one. Speaking of, it's Fat Tire + Me = Bed Time. My boys and girls both won tonight, and I deserve a freakin' seven-hour nap.

And who's the dude with the mullet in that pic with the hot, juggy blonde chick up there...? :D

the_ouskull

OU_Sooners75
2/4/2009, 03:44 AM
And any knowledgeable football fan also understands what's coming tomorrow!
College football for the novice fans ends after the bowl game is played. College football for us fanatics does not end until after spring ball is complete.

There are some of us football fanatics that do follow basketball almost as intensely as we do the football program....However, I am one of the fanatics that loves me OU basketball, but am not well versed in the sport to really talk much about it.

stoopified
2/4/2009, 10:25 AM
Basquetball?

the_ouskull
2/5/2009, 12:38 AM
75: Stick around, man. We (usually) like (good) company, and I'm sure that many of our more knowledgeable posters would be happy to assist you in Soloflexing your learning curve. You can get your basketball verse on right here. :D

the_ouskull

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2009, 02:55 AM
75: Stick around, man. We (usually) like (good) company, and I'm sure that many of our more knowledgeable posters would be happy to assist you in Soloflexing your learning curve. You can get your basketball verse on right here. :D

the_ouskull

Thanks bro. I am not a complete idijit, but I do not know all the ins and outs of the game. I was a wrestler and footballer. So I will occasionally say something but let you all do the majority of the speaking.

Call it, knowing my roll. :D

the_ouskull
2/5/2009, 10:59 PM
I probably should have mentioned that I also teach English... :D

the_ouskull

007sooner
2/5/2009, 11:17 PM
I'll just say this. as a student at OU, basketball was much harder to get into. almost impossible to justify buying season tickets since activities and classes in the evenings meant you could only attend at best half the games, usually more like a third. and although it was always nice not to stand for five hours getting sunburned or frostbitten, the atmosphere wasn't the same as at the football games, and by that I mean not as exciting or intense. not to mention that since graduating and moving to the east coast, the bball games are never on here. all of that adds up to lots of barriers to serious fandom. it's cool following the team's progress online, especially this season, but if that's about all you can do... I dunno. the football's still more exciting.

sooner59
2/5/2009, 11:39 PM
I lived through football since 4th grade, so obviously thats my #1 sport. I played basketball in 7th grade and that was it. Basketball was never my thing, and I never really watched it until I got to college. My first few years of college I really got into OU bball, but I only watched it on tv. Since then I have gotten into basketball in general but I have started to go to games and enjoy OU bball. Slowly but surely I have become very attached to OUr bball team. OU bball is second to OU football to me, but still above everything else.