PDA

View Full Version : Yall Can Win it All this Year

hobbes2702
2/1/2009, 03:17 AM
I'm a Horn but I honestly think yall can win it all. It won't be easy but I think with the right draw yall could cruise to the final four. If yall somehow were a two in UNCs bracket I think yall would dominate. Imagine Hansborough trying to D Blake Griffin. It would be a beat down. I think the main thing with yall is Austin Johnson. If he plays as well as he has in some big games this season yall can go far. If Willie Warren continues to play well and ups his play even higher yall could be dominant in the tourney.

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2009, 04:45 AM
Getting Juan Patillo into the games here lately has really helped too.

sooner518
2/1/2009, 10:31 AM
im starting to believe its possible as well......................lot of bball left to be played, but Patillo feels somewhat like the missing piece of the puzzle.

ouleaf
2/1/2009, 11:03 AM
We have all the elements of a championship team, but i'm not sure if we have the consistency/experience/chemistry yet to run the table during the tourney. I do worry if we have to go against a team with big/stronger guards than AJ and Willie. That could cause some problems for us on both ends of the floor. I also feel like we need are missing just one more key reserve player that can come in an contribute. We are 2/3 of the way there right now with Juan Patillo and sort of Cade Davis. I'd feel a lot better if we could go at least 8 deep come tourney time.

tommieharris91
2/1/2009, 11:06 AM
I think it's an outside shot that OU wins the championship this season. Pattillo helps, but I don't think OU has enough depth to bang with the other good teams in the nation. I think OU is good enough to make the Final Four though.

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2009, 11:34 AM
I think it's an outside shot that OU wins the championship this season. Pattillo helps, but I don't think OU has enough depth to bang with the other good teams in the nation. I think OU is good enough to make the Final Four though.

If we are good enough to make the Final Four, we are good enough to win it all.

MojoRisen
2/1/2009, 12:55 PM
Having Patillo added 10 points a game and defense... He is an excellent ath. I wonder if our defense is good enough, although I think it is when we want it too be. We need to be able to bury teams & I understand we are trying to get people playing time - but we had a 12 point lead on Iowa St and acted like we had it in the bag stopped playing D and almost got beat. We are showing some toughness down the stretch now in multiple games which is a good sign.

Lot's of ball left, if we end up 30 & 4 big 12 tourney Champs! I will say we can win it all & definitely get into the final 4. I worry our schedule isn't near as tough as the ACC or Big East...

soonerfan28
2/1/2009, 01:12 PM
There are two teams that worry me. North Carolina and Pitt. Other then that I think we can beat anybody in the nation and on a good night both of these teams.

engineer24
2/1/2009, 01:14 PM
There are 5 key components to winning a championship:

1) Dominant big man
2) Good 3 point shooters
3) Deep bench
4) Good free throw shooters
5) Dominant point guard

Unfortunately OU does not have a dominant point guard or a deep bench. I predict getting knocked out in the elite 8 group.

Readyfor8
2/1/2009, 01:40 PM
I can name about 4 teams this decade that have not had all 5 things on your list and most of them only had 3.

Meanwhile teams like Davidson only had 2 of those things and made the Elite 8.

There is one thing that our team must have to win it all, it is something that all the teams that have won the Championship have had, especially since the 64 team format. That is luck, we won't know if we have that until the tournament, and we don't have to have it until after the first weekend of March.

RESPECT THE JINX!!!

hobbes2702
2/1/2009, 02:22 PM
There are two teams that worry me. North Carolina and Pitt. Other then that I think we can beat anybody in the nation and on a good night both of these teams.

I think yall beat UNC emphatically. UNC has a lot of great players but they still look to Tyler Hansborough. If he gets shut down (and mainly kept of off the offensive glass) they have to depend on Lawson and the others and while those guys are good they can't win games against good teams on there own. Griffin would dominate Hansborough in the post.

the_ouskull
2/1/2009, 04:29 PM
I think that Lawson would kill our guards, and Psycho T would get the star calls against an undersized Blake. Without Blake on the floor, we'd be screwed.

If they go to the line more than we do, I think that they'd win fairly convincingly. If we were able to severely limit their percentage of assisted baskets, I think we'd have a shot to beat them. They're an even better team than the sum of their parts. Right now, I'm not sure that we are... but we're even closer than I thought we'd get at the beginning of the year, so I'm STOKED. :D

the_ouskull

ousooners182
2/1/2009, 07:54 PM
undersized blake???

they are the same size..blake being an inch taller..weight about the same but anyone who says hansbrough is stronger than griffin just needs to walk off the face of this earth

the_ouskull
2/1/2009, 09:00 PM
You mean to tell me that Eric Montross isn't still the center for UNC? I'm not buying it. I watched one of their games just the other night. That was Eric Montro... come to think of it, he did look a little shorter. ..and more hairy.

D*mn it.

the_ouskull

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2009, 11:01 PM
There are 5 key components to winning a championship:

1) Dominant big man - McGee
2) Good 3 point shooters - Price, White, and few others
3) Deep bench - 8 players that played each game
4) Good free throw shooters - Top 3 in the Big 12
5) Dominant point guard - White was a helluva PG.

Unfortunately OU does not have a dominant point guard or a deep bench. I predict getting knocked out in the elite 8 group.

Well didnt we have all that back in 2001? What did that get us? I added what we had in 2001 next to your 5 things we need to win it all.

sooner59
2/2/2009, 01:10 AM
If we get a #1 seed, with what we have, we could possibly limp into the Sweet 16. Granted, March Madness can doom any team who doesn't play their best each game. But if we got a #1 or #2 seed, anything less than Elite 8 for this team is a disappointment. If we get into the Elite 8, we are 3 games from a title. It might all come down to how well Austin Johnson and Juan Patillo play, along with how much foul trouble we get into given and relatively light bench. I would expect Blake, Taylor, and Willie to do what they do. Austin, Juan, and even Cade Davis could determine how far we go. I am really excited about this team and I look forward to the possibilities. Hopefully they all just play their best. If they all play well and we lose.....this is March Madness. We will see soon.

ousooners182
2/2/2009, 02:42 AM
lol the center now is so cool he jumps off of a frat house balcony into a pool if u didnt know

You mean to tell me that Eric Montross isn't still the center for UNC? I'm not buying it. I watched one of their games just the other night. That was Eric Montro... come to think of it, he did look a little shorter. ..and more hairy.

D*mn it.

the_ouskull

cheezyq
2/2/2009, 11:33 AM
We have all the elements of a championship team, but i'm not sure if we have the consistency/experience/chemistry yet to run the table during the tourney. I do worry if we have to go against a team with big/stronger guards than AJ and Willie. That could cause some problems for us on both ends of the floor. I also feel like we need are missing just one more key reserve player that can come in an contribute. We are 2/3 of the way there right now with Juan Patillo and sort of Cade Davis. I'd feel a lot better if we could go at least 8 deep come tourney time.

1. If there is one thing this team has been this year, to me, it is consistent. We have consistently been ahead most of the game, endured some runs, and then finished the game off strong in almost every game this year.

We have experience in key positions. Taylor is that great dirty work guy and is playing well as a senior. AJ is playing out of his mind as a senior, finally figuring everything out perhaps. Blake and WW play MUCH older than their ages would indicate. And, we've built a nice level of experience this year by facing several different styles and defeating them all.

Chemistry - I can't imagine more chemistry than playing two brothers with serious talent. Sometimes AJ throws up something ridiculous and it ends up as an alley-oop dunk by Blake. WW and Blake have a nice thing going. And Juan just looks like a natural part of the team when he is in.

I think we're good with those 3 things.

2. Depth - I think we're underrating our depth, and overrating what depth truly means. You can't have 6-7-8 starter quality guys on your roster, unless you're UNC or Duke or KU or something like that. I think Juan could be a starter, which gives us 6 starter-quality types. However, Cade, Wright, Leary, and Allen are all nice "get some rest for the starter" guys, which is exactly what we need.

They all fill specific roles when they are on the floor. Cade fills a 3-point threat role. Wright and Allen fill a defense and rebounding role. Pattillo fills a scorer/athlete role. And Leary fills a "get the ball up the floor without turning it over" role. They all do well filling their roles, and Capel (knowing what he has in each player) does a great job of managing those players, putting them in at the right time.

My ONLY worry with this team is if we face a pressure team that has the same athletes as we do. Someone like a Louisville, who can run out a dozen athletes and pressure us into 20-some turnovers AND take advantage by scoring at the other end. Someone with the athletes to bring quick pressure on Blake and keep the ball out of the post. Arkansas is that kind of team, and I think that's the kind of team that could knock us out again.

NormanPride
2/2/2009, 12:50 PM
Our problem against Louisville was our offensive inefficiency. If we scored, they couldn't get out in transition and we defended them. However, if we missed or turned it over, their transition O was way too much for us. Our guards have more experience and our bigs are better ball-handlers now. If there's one thing we are, it's efficient with our O, and we've got the best assist to turnover guard in the nation.

They would be a tough matchup, but there aren't many like that out there. Plus, we could do the same damn thing right back to them if they got in a funk. The difference is we have a much better D and a post presence to pound them with a lead.

We've got the best guard D I've seen of all the teams out there, and our post O is better than almost everyone else's just with Blake down there. With Patillo coming on, it's almost unfair. Our guard scoring is up and down, but we have a star in Willie and other guys that can hit 20 at any time in Crock and AJ. The pieces are there, and they're clicking right now. Willie is the cog we needed last year for when AJ and Crock couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and so far he's stepped up perfectly when we needed him.