PDA

View Full Version : Obama Demands Pentagon Cut Ten Percent from Budget...

OklahomaTuba
1/30/2009, 11:09 PM
Just saw it on the TV.

Good thing we have all this money for condoms and bee insurance in the Porkulus!

AggieTool
1/30/2009, 11:20 PM
Just saw it on the TV.

Good thing we have all this money for condoms and bee insurance in the Porkulus!

Why should the Pentagon be any different from any other dept to be cut?:confused:

Agreed on the porkulus though.:O

OklahomaTuba
1/30/2009, 11:27 PM
Cause its the last thing we need with 2 wars going on.

They should be ramping up spending IMO. Gives folks jobs in the military, in the manufacturing sector, engineering sector, and makes the world a safer place in general.

The fact that ACORN and illegal immigrants get a bailout and our military doesn't is F'king stupid.

OklahomaTuba
1/30/2009, 11:29 PM
And how many other depts are getting a cut BTW??

Dept. of education gets 2 times its budget in the Porkulus.

soonerscuba
1/30/2009, 11:42 PM
You do realize that a 10% cut takes it way, way down to around it's 2007 budget, right?

AggieTool
1/30/2009, 11:57 PM
Cause its the last thing we need with 2 wars going on.

They should be ramping up spending IMO. Gives folks jobs in the military, in the manufacturing sector, engineering sector, and makes the world a safer place in general.

The fact that ACORN and illegal immigrants get a bailout and our military doesn't is F'king stupid.

Sounds like we got one too many wars going on.:)

Meanwhile back at the cave....:texan:

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2009, 12:14 AM
You do realize that a 10% cut takes it way, way down to around it's 2007 budget, right?

So NOW The One is worried about saving some money???

Gotta pay for those "tax cuts" for people who don't pay taxes some how, huh??

Seriously what kind of ****wit cuts the defense budget with troops deployed and more going to Afghanistan???

soonerscuba
1/31/2009, 12:55 AM
Seriously what kind of ****wit cuts the defense budget with troops deployed and more going to Afghanistan???The Iraq and Afghanistan funding does not come from money allocated to the DoD, it's an appropriation requested by the White House to Congress.

To add, the DoD has budget descepencies that would make the Dept of Education or Energy blush. I'm not naive and realize there are things in the DoD that should not and do not see the light of day, however they had more than a trillion dollars worth of unsupported entries, which is inexcusable. If you don't like I wouldn't blame Obama, he didn't create a unitary executive command structure for defense spending, he inherited it. You reap what you sow.

Whet
1/31/2009, 01:27 AM
Didn't jimmy carter take that same course of action when he was president? That and cutting CIA were his too biggest goals.

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2009, 01:28 AM
How much money are we talking about here? How much is 10%?

Crucifax Autumn
1/31/2009, 01:38 AM
about eleventy-trillion and 25 cent!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/31/2009, 01:41 AM
Didn't jimmy carter take that same course of action when he was president? That and cutting CIA were his too biggest goals.Fool got his can kicked after taking down our military, while simultaneously taking the mortgage interest rate to over 20%, performing equally well in both the domestic and international arenas.

SoonerProphet
1/31/2009, 09:23 AM
we are all military keynesians now

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174884

1890MilesToNorman
1/31/2009, 09:51 AM
Seeing as defense is actually a requirement of the FED and education isn't, let's just get rid of the education part at the federal level.

There he goes again bring up that ole tattered document that is irrelevant in an enlightened society.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2009, 10:01 AM
Let's hope they ramp up the State Departments budget with the money saved.

It's funny that some of you still don't understand why things like 09/11 happened.

SoonerProphet
1/31/2009, 10:12 AM
while i have my own doubts about centralized federal education directives, those same doubts spread to the defense bureaucracy and its own very well known innefficiencies. afterall, centralized planning is still centralized planning.

btw, "promote the general welfare", is also part of our grand charter.

1890MilesToNorman
1/31/2009, 10:18 AM
btw, "promote the general welfare", is also part of our grand charter.

A hooker for all Americans would promote general mental well being so let's do it!

SoonerProphet
1/31/2009, 10:25 AM
A hooker for all Americans would promote general mental well being so let's do it!

letting me to buy a stryker apc would go along way in promoting the common defense, and make my commute much more fun so let's do it!

what is your point?

1890MilesToNorman
1/31/2009, 10:34 AM
My point is those four words you quote can be interpreted in a million ways, you just proved it.

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2009, 10:45 AM
we are all military keynesians now

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174884

So what is his point, should we disband the military?

Its government no longer even attempts to reduce the ruinous expenses of maintaining huge standing armies

If he thinks that we currently have a "huge standing army", then he's letting his agenda show.

SoonerStormchaser
1/31/2009, 10:50 AM
But but but...now how is my unit gonna get it's money for the gold plated toilet seats we've requested?

At least his wife is making care packages for us...:rolleyes: I really needed that new toothbrush!

SoonerProphet
1/31/2009, 11:07 AM
My point is those four words you quote can be interpreted in a million ways, you just proved it.

ummm, all those words can be interpreted in a million ways, behold the wonders of language.

SoonerProphet
1/31/2009, 11:11 AM
So what is his point, should we disband the military?

If he thinks that we currently have a "huge standing army", then he's letting his agenda show.

yes harry, we should scap an institution that has been around longer than our nation itself.:rolleyes:

perhaps he is talking about the ruinous policy of failed missile defense sytems, bloated bureacracy that not only hires the likes of Blackwater and KBR, but also has hundreds of thousands of paper pushers who provide little in common defense.

I Am Right
1/31/2009, 11:14 AM
Just saw it on the TV.

:pop:

I Am Right
1/31/2009, 11:16 AM
Raise the Pentagon budget and cut funds for the arts, ACORN

Vaevictis
1/31/2009, 11:46 AM
The problem I have with the military budget is the same problem I have with the overall budget. There's important stuff in there that's worth spending the money on. And then there's stuff in there that's getting spent on because it makes a certain Congressman look good in his home district.

The latter stuff can and should be dumped, just like it should be with the overall budget. Ordering overall cuts might be the best way to trim the fat -- if you don't give someone everything they want in terms of resources, they have to make trade-offs. That's not really such a bad thing.

And, fwiw, I seriously doubt that this 10% cut is going to stick, once all is said and done.

85Sooner
1/31/2009, 11:52 AM
Seeing as defense is actually a requirement of the FED and education isn't, let's just get rid of the education part at the federal level.

There he goes again bring up that ole tattered document that is irrelevant in an enlightened society.

I can agree with this.

Vaevictis
1/31/2009, 11:55 AM
Except that education really is a legitimate defense issue.

LoyalFan
1/31/2009, 11:56 AM
There's waste in every aspect of the budget, military or otherwise, chief among which are the welfare programs that so many undeserving vermin, legal residents or otherwise, leech on.
Let's just face it. The son of a beeyotch is determined to destroy this country.

LF

1890MilesToNorman
1/31/2009, 11:58 AM
Spin baby, Spin.

SoonerProphet
1/31/2009, 12:07 PM
Spin baby, Spin.

who is engaged in spin?

SoonerStormchaser
1/31/2009, 12:11 PM
Spin baby, Spin.

Now I'm gonna vomit!

1/31/2009, 12:39 PM
Let's just face it. The son of a beeyotch is determined to destroy this country.

LFWell, he campaigned to destroy Gitmo, the coal industry, and tell automakers what to produce, regardless of whether his mandated cars would sell. He said high gasoline prices are good, to hold down consumption...Shirley, you voted for him, didn'tcha?

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2009, 12:41 PM
In the words of someone in particular...

"Feel the HATE. HATE!"

1/31/2009, 02:02 PM
In the words of someone in particular...

"Feel the HATE. HATE!"Yep, the dude hates America, or at least what it stands for.

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2009, 02:05 PM
I'm surprised you'd admit to that. I guess that's the first part of healing.

Okla-homey
1/31/2009, 02:34 PM
To be fair, and speaking as a guy who spent a fair amount of time observing the Defense Department up close and personal-like; it could easily afford to cut its spending by ten percent, without affecting readiness.

Just like every other federal gubmint department.

However, such cutting is inevitably felt in Congressional districts, where the beans and bullets are bought, and the jobs are created. See, that's the thing, there are unintended consequences of a move like this, that have far-reaching and devastating effects on Main Street, USA.

As long as the President is up to taking the heat from folks and communities who will lose their livelihoods from the cutting, by all means, cut-away bro. Just seems somewhat contradictory to talk about cutting Defense, given the enormous econ-o-stimulator package they're flogging that purports to be the ticket for getting folks back to work.

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2009, 02:51 PM
I can agree with Homey on the above.

There's very likely a good deal of waste at the Pentagon, particularly among the REMFs. However, the military is very very good at keeping a bunch of people gainfully employed AND teaching them job skills. Heck, it's probably (and this is in no way meant to be derogatory, though some may take it that way) the most successful jobs program in the history of mankind-and it's just doing that as a necessary consequence of its primary mission.

Not only that, but bases stimulate local economies like all get-out. Oil drives the economy in Anchorage, but we'd be hurting without Ft. Richardson and Elmendorf AFB.

So I guess what I'm saying is that while there's probably some waste in the military, it's still working pretty well accomplishing the mission that you want to use the cut funding for. Why bother?

AggieTool
1/31/2009, 04:43 PM
There's waste in every aspect of the budget, military or otherwise, chief among which are the welfare programs that so many undeserving vermin, legal residents or otherwise, leech on.

LF

Well after 8 years of incompetence, there isn't much left to destroy.

Are the vermin on welfare programs you're talking about the banks or the auto industry?;)

AggieTool
1/31/2009, 04:46 PM
Well, he campaigned to destroy Gitmo, the coal industry, and tell automakers what to produce, regardless of whether his mandated cars would sell. He said high gasoline prices are good, to hold down consumption...Shirley, you voted for him, didn'tcha?

If we 'coulda had Bush just 4 more years, things would be just dandy!

You can just tell!:cool:

1/31/2009, 05:24 PM
If we 'coulda had Bush just 4 more years, things would be just dandy!

You can just tell!:cool:While Bush did a lot of things wrong, he did some right too. Barry is starting off VERY badly. At least we knew what was coming with Obama-no surprises, yet.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2009, 05:39 PM
Congress basically just gave themselves a 95K a year raise, so glad to know we are cutting the military back to save some moollah.

CHANGE!

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2009, 05:51 PM
Iran Knows A Carter When They See One...

US President Barack Obama's offer to talk to Iran shows that America's policy of "domination" has failed, the government spokesman said on Saturday.

"This request means Western ideology has become passive, that capitalist thought and the system of domination have failed," Gholam Hossein Elham was quoted as saying by the Mehr news agency.

1/31/2009, 05:53 PM
I'm surprised you'd admit to that. I guess that's the first part of healing.You shouldn't be surprised one could think that Obama hates America's traditional beliefs and laws.

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2009, 06:14 PM
Oh, I'm quite surprised you claim to think.

America. Love it or leave it, Bill.

soonerscuba
1/31/2009, 06:17 PM

America. Love it or leave it, Bill.Obama is Commander-in-Chief, to question him undermines the war effort, which is tantamount to treason. These conz have always hated the troops.

This is totally awesome, I can see why Tuba spent from 02-06 saying this stuff. It's way easier than actually taking a look at legislative and executive policy.

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2009, 06:19 PM
Fun, isn't it?

Look at all these little pubes screaming. They must be insane and suffer from Good Government Derangement Syndrome.

Should I post a picture of right-wingers protesting now?

StoopTroup
1/31/2009, 06:48 PM
To be fair, and speaking as a guy who spent a fair amount of time observing the Defense Department up close and personal-like; it could easily afford to cut its spending by ten percent, without affecting readiness.

Just like every other federal gubmint department.

However, such cutting is inevitably felt in Congressional districts, where the beans and bullets are bought, and the jobs are created. See, that's the thing, there are unintended consequences of a move like this, that have far-reaching and devastating effects on Main Street, USA.

As long as the President is up to taking the heat from folks and communities who will lose their livelihoods from the cutting, by all means, cut-away bro. Just seems somewhat contradictory to talk about cutting Defense, given the enormous econ-o-stimulator package they're flogging that purports to be the ticket for getting folks back to work.

None of those folks voted for him anyway.

If was just a bunch of Hollywood types that got him in.

AggieTool
1/31/2009, 07:27 PM
While Bush did a lot of things wrong, he did some right too. Barry is starting off VERY badly. At least we knew what was coming with Obama-no surprises, yet.

I'd love to see the list of things GW did right. (I voted for him twice BTW).:D

And don't give me any of this "we haven't been attacked since '01" BS. :mad:

The astute terrorist figured out that sitting back and letting GW "have at it" would cause far greater damage to the U.S.....and they were right.:confused:

1/31/2009, 07:38 PM
I'd love to see the list of things GW did right. (I voted for him twice BTW).:D

And don't give me any of this "we haven't been attacked since '01" BS. :mad:

The astute terrorist figured out that sitting back and letting GW "have at it" would cause far greater damage to the U.S.....and they were right.:confused:is this an admission you voted for Barry?

Curly Bill
1/31/2009, 07:40 PM
It's so cute when a few of you lib donk types get together...it's almost...shall I say...what I imagine a support group to be like...

...or an orgy.

AggieTool
1/31/2009, 07:43 PM
is this an admission you voted for Barry?

Nope, I voted McCain simply because he paid his dues and earned it IMO.

Don't worry, if the big "O" doesn't perform, then I'll be just as broootalz.:D

Repubs dug their own grave I'm afraid, and REAL conservatives don't have a voice because all credibility has been eroded thanks to "W" et al.

1/31/2009, 07:45 PM

Mike, this qualifies as a personal insult, and you, or another mod, need to award yourself a two point infraction for "Personal attacks on members". You're welcome.

Curly Bill
1/31/2009, 07:47 PM
Mike, this qualifies as a personal insult, and you, or another mod, need to award yourself a two point infraction for "Personal attacks on members". You're welcome.

...but you're a mean old "pube," you had it coming. ;) :rolleyes:

1/31/2009, 07:53 PM
Nope, I voted McCain simply because he paid his dues and earned it IMO.

Don't worry, if the big "O" doesn't perform, then I'll be just as broootalz.:D

Repubs dug their own grave I'm afraid, and REAL conservatives don't have a voice because all credibility has been eroded thanks to "W" et al.Bush DID hurt the Republican party with all the caving in he did with the democrats, but the most crucial problem was that Dems and leftist independents secured the Repub nomination for McCain.(even then, Palin almost helped McCain pull it out, if it wasn't for this election's "October Surprise", tying McCain to the erroneously blamed Bush, for all the mortgage defaults)

BTW, you can start railing on Obama any time, now. He has yet to do anything good while president.

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2009, 08:07 PM
It's so cute when a few of you lib donk types get together...it's almost...shall I say...what I imagine a support group to be like...

...or an orgy.

If I'm in any way involved with what you imagine when you think orgy, you need some help in a hurry.

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2009, 08:08 PM

Go put on your tinfoil hat and cry about it for a while. Considering the amount of personal attacks I've absorbed from you without carding you, I'm entitled to a freebie now and then.

1/31/2009, 08:25 PM
OK, Mike. I'm TRULY sorry the new prez isn't working out so well, so far. I hope he comes around to doing things that are good for the country's economy and national security.

reevie
1/31/2009, 09:05 PM
Which 10% of the DoD budget is he cutting? 65% of the budget is Manpower and Personnel. Are we cutting troops and retirement benefits? Probably not, the 10% is going to be felt in the 20% of the budget for maintenance and modernization. So while we've worn out our equipment over the decade, we'll just promise the next generation old, worn out equipment and hope it works when we need it.

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2009, 11:09 PM
Fun, isn't it?

Look at all these little pubes screaming. They must be insane and suffer from Good Government Derangement Syndrome.

Should I post a picture of right-wingers protesting now?

Little pubes? Awesome. :rolleyes: So I guess Tuba can start using donk or whatever he got scolded for again?

Frozen Sooner
2/1/2009, 01:15 AM
Little pubes? Awesome. :rolleyes: So I guess Tuba can start using donk or whatever he got scolded for again?

Man, it went right over your head, didn't it?

Frozen Sooner
2/1/2009, 01:19 AM
No, he would have to say he ****ed your wife at least twice before he would have to give himself a two point infraction. Or at least tell you he gave himself one. :rolleyes:

Tell you what, Harry.

You've made it ABUNDANTLY clear you don't like the way this place is run, and in particular me as a moderator.

Take it up with Phil. I absolutely encourage you to do so.

I assume right here you're complaining about the fact that you got carded (and as far as I can recall NOT by me, though it may have been and I back up whoever did) in a thread where both you and LASooner were throwing insults back and forth. You can choose to believe that LAS got carded or not, I frankly don't give a rat's ***. I can certainly tell you one thing-when he DOES get carded, he doesn't sulk about it for weeks afterwards.

Echoes
2/1/2009, 03:20 AM
Boy boy boy.

Sure is a nice preview of what the SO is going to be the next 4 years.

AggieTool
2/1/2009, 10:16 AM
Any way I can be a problem?:D

Okla-homey
2/1/2009, 07:38 PM
I can agree with Homey on the above.

There's very likely a good deal of waste at the Pentagon, particularly among the REMFs. However, the military is very very good at keeping a bunch of people gainfully employed AND teaching them job skills. Heck, it's probably (and this is in no way meant to be derogatory, though some may take it that way) the most successful jobs program in the history of mankind-and it's just doing that as a necessary consequence of its primary mission.

Not only that, but bases stimulate local economies like all get-out. Oil drives the economy in Anchorage, but we'd be hurting without Ft. Richardson and Elmendorf AFB.

So I guess what I'm saying is that while there's probably some waste in the military, it's still working pretty well accomplishing the mission that you want to use the cut funding for. Why bother?

IMHO there are only two things the gubmint does exceedingly well; 1) military, and; 2) tax collection. It pretty much blows at everything else it tries to do.

I Am Right
2/1/2009, 07:49 PM
who is engaged in spin?

Anyone who thinks socialism is good.

Condescending Sooner
2/2/2009, 10:22 AM
So brilliant, yet so wrong, so often. Tsk tsk.

What? Froze has never been wrong.

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2009, 11:17 AM
Wonder if the expanded rendition program (outsourcing tourture programme) of Obama's will be funded by the DOD??

TheHumanAlphabet
2/2/2009, 12:02 PM
Interesting spin...According to Dick Morris, this is the Obama plan to take the U.S. to Socialism...

Link (http://www.dickmorris.com/blog/2009/01/21/the-obama-presidency-here-comes-socialism/)

By Dick Morris

Published on TheHill.com (http://thehill.com/) on January 20, 2009
2009-2010 will rank with 1913-14, 1933-36, 1964-65 and 1981-82 as years that will permanently change our government, politics and lives. Just as the stars were aligned for Wilson, Roosevelt, Johnson and Reagan, they are aligned for Obama. Simply put, we enter his administration as free-enterprise, market-dominated, laissez-faire America. We will shortly become like Germany, France, the United Kingdom, or Sweden — a socialist democracy in which the government dominates the economy, determines private-sector priorities and offers a vastly expanded range of services to many more people at much higher taxes.

Obama will accomplish his agenda of “reform” under the rubric of “recovery.” Using the electoral mandate bestowed on a Democratic Congress by restless voters and the economic power given his administration by terrified Americans, he will change our country fundamentally in the name of lifting the depression. His stimulus packages won’t do much to shorten the downturn — although they will make it less painful — but they will do a great deal to change our nation.
In implementing his agenda, Barack Obama will emulate the example of Franklin D. Roosevelt. (Not the liberal mythology of the New Deal, but the actuality of what it accomplished.) When FDR took office, he was enormously successful in averting a total collapse of the banking system and the economy. But his New Deal measures only succeeded in lowering the unemployment rate from 23 percent in 1933, when he took office, to 13 percent in the summer of 1937. It never went lower. And his policies of over-regulation generated such business uncertainty that they triggered a second-term recession. Unemployment in 1938 rose to 17 percent and, in 1940, on the verge of the war-driven recovery, stood at 15 percent. (These data and the real story of Hoover’s and Roosevelt’s missteps, uncolored by ideology, are available in The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes, copyright 2007.)
But in the name of a largely unsuccessful effort to end the Depression, Roosevelt passed crucial and permanent reforms that have dominated our lives ever since, including Social Security, the creation of the Securities and Exchange Commission, unionization under the Wagner Act, the federal minimum wage and a host of other fundamental changes.
Obama’s record will be similar, although less wise and more destructive. He will begin by passing every program for which liberals have lusted for decades, from alternative-energy sources to school renovations, infrastructure repairs and technology enhancements. These are all good programs, but they normally would be stretched out for years. But freed of any constraint on the deficit — indeed, empowered by a mandate to raise it as high as possible — Obama will do them all rather quickly.
But it is not his spending that will transform our political system, it is his tax and welfare policies. In the name of short-term stimulus, he will give every American family (who makes less than $200,000) a welfare check of $1,000 euphemistically called a refundable tax credit. And he will so sharply cut taxes on the middle class and the poor that the number of Americans who pay no federal income tax will rise from the current one-third of all households to more than half. In the process, he will create a permanent electoral majority that does not pay taxes, but counts on ever-expanding welfare checks from the government. The dependency on the dole, formerly limited in pre-Clinton days to 14 million women and children on Aid to Families with Dependent Children, will now grow to a clear majority of the American population.
Will he raise taxes? Why should he? With a congressional mandate to run the deficit up as high as need be, there is no reason to raise taxes now and risk aggravating the depression. Instead, Obama will follow the opposite of the Reagan strategy. Reagan cut taxes and increased the deficit so that liberals could not increase spending. Obama will raise spending and increase the deficit so that conservatives cannot cut taxes. And, when the economy is restored, he will raise taxes with impunity, since the only people who will have to pay them would be rich Republicans.
In the name of stabilizing the banking system, Obama will nationalize it. Using Troubled Asset Relief Program funds to write generous checks to needy financial institutions, his administration will demand preferred stock in exchange. Preferred stock gets dividends before common stockholders do. With the massive debt these companies will owe to the government, they will only be able to afford dividends for preferred stockholders — the government, not private investors. So who will buy common stock? And the government will demand that its bills be paid before any profits that might materialize are reinvested in the financial institution, so how will the value of the stocks ever grow? Devoid of private investors, these institutions will fall ever more under government control.
Obama will begin the process by limiting executive compensation. Then he will urge restructuring and lowering of home mortgages in danger of default (as the feds have already done with Citibank).
Then will come guidance on the loans to make and government instructions on the types of enterprises to favor. God grant that some Blagojevich type is not in charge of the program, using his power to line his pockets. The United States will find itself with an economic system comparable to that of Japan, where the all-powerful bureaucracy at MITI (Ministry of International Trade and Industry) manages the economy, often making mistakes like giving mainframe computers priority over the development of laptops.
But it is the healthcare system that will experience the most dramatic and traumatic of changes. The current debate between erecting a Medicare-like governmental single payer or channeling coverage through private insurance misses the essential point. Without a lot more doctors, nurses, clinics, equipment and hospital beds, health resources will be strained to the breaking point. The people and equipment that now serve 250 million Americans and largely neglect all but the emergency needs of the other 50 million will now have to serve everyone. And, as government imposes ever more Draconian price controls and income limits on doctors, the supply of practitioners and equipment will decline as the demand escalates. Price increases will be out of the question, so the government will impose healthcare rationing, denying the older and sicker among us the care they need and even barring them from paying for it themselves. (Rationing based on income and price will be seen as immoral.)
And Obama will move to change permanently the partisan balance in America. He will move quickly to legalize all those who have been in America for five years, albeit illegally, and to smooth their paths to citizenship and voting. He will weaken border controls in an attempt to hike the Latino vote as high as he can in order to make red states like Texas into blue states like California. By the time he is finished, Latinos and African-Americans will cast a combined 30 percent of the vote. If they go by top-heavy margins for the Democrats, as they did in 2008, it will assure Democratic domination (until they move up the economic ladder and become good Republicans).
And he will enact the check-off card system for determining labor union representation, repealing the secret ballot in union elections. The result will be to raise the proportion of the labor force in unions up to the high teens from the current level of about 12 percent.
Finally, he will use the expansive powers of the Federal Communications Commission to impose “local” control and ownership of radio stations and to impose the “fairness doctrine” on talk radio. The effect will be to drive talk radio to the Internet, fundamentally change its economics, and retard its growth for years hence.
But none of these changes will cure the depression. It will end when the private sector works through the high debt levels that triggered the collapse in the first place. And, then, the large stimulus package deficits will likely lead to rapid inflation, probably necessitating a second recession to cure it.
So Obama’s name will be mud by 2012 and probably by 2010 as well. And the Republican Party will make big gains and regain much of its lost power.
But it will be too late to reverse the socialism of much of the economy, the demographic change in the electorate, the rationing of healthcare by the government, the surge of unionization and the crippling of talk radio.

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2009, 02:05 PM
Be hard to do all that when he has to spend so much money STD prevention and bee insurance to stimulate the economy.

Oh wait, no it won't, he will just gut the military like Clinton did and raise taxes.

Pricetag
2/2/2009, 02:39 PM
OK, Mike. I'm TRULY sorry the new prez isn't working out so well, so far. I hope he comes around to doing things that are good for the country's economy and national security.
You're right. This last week and a half has SUCKED.

SoonerProphet
2/3/2009, 01:26 PM
heh, sounds like when the rubber meets the road he is actually increasing it by 8%

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/02/03/kagan/index.html

Bourbon St Sooner
2/3/2009, 05:06 PM
Our money is going to kill babies overseas now, so we won't need a military in 30 years. This is just the beginning of the ramp down.

2/3/2009, 05:43 PM
Our money is going to kill babies overseas now, so we won't need a military in 30 years. This is just the beginning of the ramp down.Brilliant! Overseas abortion aid as a DOD expenditure. Killing the enemy before they even put on their diapers=Military Genius!

AggieTool
2/3/2009, 09:44 PM
Brilliant! Overseas abortion aid as a DOD expenditure. Killing the enemy before they even put on their diapers=Military Genius!

Yeah it's not like any of the bombs we drop over there ever kill children.:D

2/4/2009, 01:03 AM
I'm not all that convinced Dick Morris should be given as much analytical respect as he is given by, apparently, many people. For example, from the quoted article: "And, when the economy is restored,"... , I don't see anything he said Obama would do that would actually restore the economy, and cause actual growth.