PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 coaches moving to the top of the heap

stoopified
1/30/2009, 10:43 PM
I knew Stoops is getting close to the top in victories at OU and discovered he is not alone.Several coaches in the Big 12 could become the winningest coach at their respective school.

The closest is Leach at TT,he has a record of 76-39 and trails Spike Dykes(82-67-1) by only SIX games.I think he is a lock for 7 wins this year to take over as top Zorro at TT.

Mangino at KU is 45-41 and needs only NINE wins to pass Bert Kennedy(53-9-4 as top winner in the land of the Blue Chickens.Not sure if he can do it next year but should be around at least two more years to turn the trick.

The MAN down at T.Boone State is 27-23 and trails Pat Jones(62-60) by 35 wins.Persoanlly I AM skeptical that THE MAN will be at Neon Orange town the 4-5 years necessary to top Jones.

Gary Pinkel at Missou is 59-41 and trails Don Faurot(101-79-10)by 42 games, a mark he can reach in 4-5 years.I think Pinkel will stay at MU long enough to be Top Cat as he is in a relatively low stress post(provided he can keep winning 8-10 games a year).

Brown at Ut is 115-26 and needs 53 wins to pass Royal.It is my considered opinion that this is not likely as It will require five more years to accoplish.At this point Mack is about to implode IMHO from the stress of trying to prove that his ONE championship season in THIRTY years as a headcoach was not a fluke(which of course ,it was).THERE IS A REASON HE HAS A SUCSESSOR IN WAITING.

This brings us to Bob Stoops(109-24) who needs 13 wins to pass Bennie Owen(122-54-16) for 3rd on the OU win chart,37 wins to pass Bud(145-29-4) for 2nd,and 49 wins to overtake Barry(157-29-4) as Top Sooner.I have said for several years now(since about 2002) that if Bob is here long enough to pass Bennie,he will be here long enough to unseat Bud , Barry as OU's all-time winner.I stand by that statement and believe Bob passes Barry within 5 seasons.

Sooner70
1/31/2009, 08:49 AM
What about the Colorado Coach? I know his overall W-L is pretty good, but what about at Colo.? Is he approaching any milestones there?

Jacie
1/31/2009, 09:07 AM
A win is a win but . . .

Comparing statistics now versus then troubles me.

Bennie Owen coached 22 seasons (1905-1926) to get those 122 wins. In that time the Sooners played three 11-game seasons and four 10-game seaons. There were fifteen seasons of 9 games or less. They only played 6 games in 1918. Stoops gets that many home games each season.

Even comparing coaches by winning percentage over the decades can be misleading. For example, OU's record when there was no coach is at 100%, two games won in two tries. Maybe we should sack Stoops and go with a no-coach team to complement OUr no-huddle offense, eh?

The same thing happens when comparing player statistics. The numbers pile up more today than they did even 10 years ago. So it is possible for Stoops to do in 11 seasons what Owen did in 22 but it doesn't mean he is twice the coach old Benny was, just that things are different in the early part of the 21st century than they were in the early part of the 20th century.

stoopified
1/31/2009, 10:30 AM
A win is a win but . . .

Comparing statistics now versus then troubles me.

Bennie Owen coached 22 seasons (1905-1926) to get those 122 wins. In that time the Sooners played three 11-game seasons and four 10-game seaons. There were fifteen seasons of 9 games or less. They only played 6 games in 1918. Stoops gets that many home games each season.

Even comparing coaches by winning percentage over the decades can be misleading. For example, OU's record when there was no coach is at 100%, two games won in two tries. Maybe we should sack Stoops and go with a no-coach team to complement OUr no-huddle offense, eh?

The same thing happens when comparing player statistics. The numbers pile up more today than they did even 10 years ago. So it is possible for Stoops to do in 11 seasons what Owen did in 22 but it doesn't mean he is twice the coach old Benny was, just that things are different in the early part of the 21st century than they were in the early part of the 20th century.I do understand your point but at least from an OU standpoint it isn't so much a comparison as a confirmation of accomplishment record-wise.

To me the number of seasons a coach served is meaningless for the very reason you cited about the shorter seasons.The main thing is how many games did you win and what is your winning percentage.

Another thing to take into account is the extra duties coaches like Owen had,in addition to football coach he was AD,baseball and basketball coach AND fundraiser.He raised the funds to build Memorial Stadium.That ps why Owen is included in my signature along with Wilkinson,Switzer, and Stoops.His contributions while lacking any national titles and and only a handful of conference titles(4 I think),are every bit as important as the other KILLER B's.Bennie laid the foundation,Bud created the Big Red Machine,Barry fed it,Bob resurrected it.

BTW the KU coach that Mangino will pass (Kennedy ) coached from 1904-1910.That should put further perspective on the job Big Mark has done.

Sonner70I would put Hawkins (13-24) chances at less than zero to pass McCartney(93-55-5),Folsom(78-24-2),and Crowder(67-49-2) .In fact I think it is 50-50 he will be at CU 2 more years(my percentage on that is generous,I think).