PDA

View Full Version : No wonder democrats don't mind tax increases

85Sooner
1/30/2009, 06:47 PM
Evidently they don't pay them (unless of course there is a good chance that they may get a cabinet nomination)

Charlie I didn't know Rangal
Timothy I would not have paid them if I didn't get this opportunity Geithner
and now Tom Daschle and interestingly he avoided a penalty just like Rangal did.

The controversy deals with a car and driver lent to Mr. Daschle by a wealthy Democratic friend, a chauffer service the former Senator used for years without declaring their use on his taxes.

It remains an open question as to whether this is a "speed bump," as a Democratic Senate ally of Mr. Daschle's put it, or something more damaging.

After being defeated in his 2004 re-election campaign to the Senate, Daschle in 2005 became a consultant and chairman of the Executive Advisory Board at InterMedia Advisors.

Based in New York City, InterMedia Advisors is a private equity firm founded in part by longtime Daschle friend and Democratic fundraiser, Leo Hindery, the former president of the YES network (the Yankees' and Devils' broadcast network).

That same year he began his professional relationship with InterMedia 2005, Mr. Daschle began using the services of Hindery's car and driver.

The Cadillac and driver were never part of Daschle's official compensation package at InterMedia but Mr. Daschle -- who as Senate Majority Leader enjoyed the use of a car and driver at taxpayer expense -- didn't declare their services on his income taxes, as tax laws require.

During the vetting process to become HHS Secretary, Mr. Daschle corrected the tax violation, voluntarily paying $101,943 in back taxes plus interest, working with his accountant to amend his tax returns for 2005 through 2007.

(Mr. Daschle reimbursed the IRS $31,462 in taxes and interest for tax year 2005; $35,546 for 2006; and $34,935, a Daschle spokesperson said, adding that Mr. Daschle had asked his accountant to look into the tax implications of the car and driver five months before Mr. Obama won the presidency.)

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/01/bumps-in-the-ro.html

OUHOMER
1/30/2009, 06:54 PM
No change, Same old bull****

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2009, 07:35 PM
Shhh...but all those people conned into voting blue vs. red won't believe that.

KC//CRIMSON
1/30/2009, 07:40 PM
No change, Same old bull****

I agree. 85's threads are pretty much all the same....

Okla-homey
1/30/2009, 09:04 PM
Both donks and 'pubs have crooks. The diff between donks and 'pubs is 'pubs remove their crooks and prosecute them. Of course, this Blago mess in the President's clubhouse has had intense scrutiny and in order to avoid blowblack felt in D.C., they jettisoned Blago like an F-16 driver jettisons a malfunctioning missile.

Jerk
1/30/2009, 09:29 PM
Do as we say, not as we do.

King Crimson
1/30/2009, 09:58 PM
Shhh...but all those people conned into voting blue vs. red won't believe that.

the real con is buying so heavily into the blue vs. red thing in the first place.

it's pretty simple to carry around the automatic approval/automatic condemnation card.

StoopTroup
1/30/2009, 10:22 PM
I've got a Crimson and a Creme card.

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2009, 10:26 PM
the real con is buying so heavily into the blue vs. red thing in the first place.

it's pretty simple to carry around the automatic approval/automatic condemnation card.

Oh it's a con game on both sides...the question is who is the better con artist?

swardboy
2/1/2009, 08:09 AM
(Mr. Daschle reimbursed the IRS $31,462 in taxes and interest for tax year 2005; $35,546 for 2006; and $34,935, a Daschle spokesperson said, adding that Mr. Daschle had asked his accountant to look into the tax implications of the car and driver five months before Mr. Obama won the presidency.)

Wouldn't the amount of taxes paid be based on least $500,000 in income? You never hear that kind of number on any media outlet, even Fox. Daschle is a damn liar to say he overlooked something of that magnitude. Plus his wife's lobbying business constituted a monumental conflict of interest while he was in the senate.

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2009, 09:56 AM
“Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter. ” Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998, p. S4507.

I agree.

Damn TurboTax.

badger
2/2/2009, 02:07 PM
Meh, Repubs are just as guilty as the Dems. Remember one state Republican leader by the name of Lance Cargill?

Elected officials tend to make more money than the majority of the population. People who make more money pay more taxes. Paying more taxes leads people to seek ways to pay less taxes. Those ways are not always legal. Legalities can be changed by those who make laws. Elected officials are also called "lawmakers."

:D

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2009, 02:14 PM
You think Tom Douschle wants you to pay fewer taxes??

Please,

that jerkoff is obsessed with socialized medical care, and making everyone (but himself) pay for it.

soonerscuba
2/2/2009, 05:46 PM
Tom DouschleAgggggggggggggyyyyyyyyyyy.

As a side note, am I allowed to not want Daschle for reasons completely unrelated to an improperly issued 1099?

OklahomaTuba
2/3/2009, 11:44 AM
Heh, improperly issued 1099.

BUT HE IS A MAN OF THE PEOPLE!!

See, this campaign ad even says it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avG9DvLi-aQ&eurl=http://www.powerlineblog.com/&feature=player_embedded

Of course, having a driver and a limo you don't pay for, or pay taxes on, while you are lobbying for higher taxes for everyone else, is even better than driving a beater, and paying your taxes on it.

OklahomaTuba
2/3/2009, 11:46 AM
So, how many tax cheats does that make in THE ONE's administration now, 3? 4?

I also swear he said no lobbyist in his administration, but that didn't last long either.

CHANGE!

landrun
2/3/2009, 06:16 PM
Serious question here, can someone name a Bush appointee that didn't pay their taxes in either of his terms?

Jerk
2/3/2009, 07:56 PM
Heh, it's Al Franken's turn:

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/8145

Franken, who is still fighting incumbent GOP Sen. Norm Coleman for Minnesota’s Senate seat, failed to pay at least $70,000 in taxes to 17 states prior to running for office. Minnesota’s Star Tribune reported Franken was paid to appear at a number of celebrity appearances across the country and file taxes appropriately in those states since 2003. Franken’s team released a spreadsheet to media detailing the debt through the campaign, but there has not been any verification Franken has actually paid them down yet.

soonerscuba
2/3/2009, 08:04 PM
Serious question here, can someone name a Bush appointee that didn't pay their taxes in either of his terms?Hard to tell. Frankly, the Bush administration valued loyalty beyond any other criteria and where pretty loose with ethical standards (which is fine if you put in effective people), given that the statute of limitations in 3 years for most IRS issues, we'll never know. I will admit that this is pretty embarrassing for the Dems.

Update: Linda Chavez, Bernie Kerik, pretty much everybody involved with the Abramoff deal was dealing with failure to report.

Jerk
2/3/2009, 08:04 PM
Is this the real life definition of 'limousine liberal' or what??

The controversy deals with a car and driver lent to Mr. Daschle by a wealthy Democratic friend, a chauffer service the former Senator used for years without declaring their use on his taxes.

All this and he probably wants the peasants to drive SmartCars, to save the earf.

OklahomaTuba
2/4/2009, 09:26 AM
Update: Linda Chavez, Bernie Kerik, pretty much everybody involved with the Abramoff deal was dealing with failure to report.

So lets see, In 8 years of Bush, two people in the administration had tax problems.

In two weeks of Oblahma, 3 (maybe even 4 now) have tax problems. Not to mention he is loading up with lobbyists, when he promised NOT to.

It's sad, but I think the current administration is on the road towards making the Bush Administration look like a model of competency & ethics.

Vaevictis
2/4/2009, 09:56 AM
All this and he probably wants the peasants to drive SmartCars, to save the earf.

SmartCars are crap in that regard anyway. 40mpg is nothing to write home about. I can get that on my Camry Hybrid.