PDA

View Full Version : Wimmins BB: Monday Night OU vs Tenn

boomersooner28
1/30/2009, 02:13 PM
ESPN is hyping the pooh outta this game cause Coach Summit is going for win number 1,000. We need to have a packed and pumped crowd there!

Also, I think we need to do something REALLY classy for the late coach Yow and Coach Summit. Lets blow the nation away with class.

Here's my sign/banner idea: (feel free to use, I can't be there)

"OUr Women wouldn't be
where they are now,
without Coach Summit
and Coach Yow"

Go Sooners! Go Vols! Go Wolfpack!

oumartin
1/30/2009, 04:20 PM
Heres to hoping she reaches the summit after Monday.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/30/2009, 06:30 PM
"Dear Coach Summit,
I Would LOVE to See You
Get to 1,000 Wins. Just
Not Tonight. BOOMER!"

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2009, 07:54 PM
Sorry...not a Pat Summit fan...I hope CP personally stomps a mudhole in her team on Monday.

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2009, 08:07 PM
A gigantic "Save the Ta-Tas" poster might be appropriate.

Kinda way off topic, but the UAA Lady Seawolves ascended to #1 in D-2 for the first time ever this week, then defended that ranking by crushing one of the Washington schools yesterday. It'd be really cool for me if both OU and UAA women's hoops were #1 at the same time. UAA even resembles OU quite a bit-they both have a dominant post and turn the ball over a lot :D.

OUTrumpet
1/31/2009, 12:33 PM
What channel will this game show up on? ESPN2, ESPNU or what? Haven't been able to catch our ladies on TV this season yet and would love a chance to see em for a big game.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/2/2009, 08:04 PM
The TN freshman and soph women are putting on a clinic in OKC. Courtney's in early foul trouble, and we're not getting the ball inside. TN up by 12 with 7 min left in first half. It's on ESPN2

SeattleOUstudent
2/2/2009, 08:07 PM
"dynasty"......DRINK!

"999".....DRINK!

2/2/2009, 08:13 PM
SOONERS TAKE 2 PT LEAD, with 3 minutes left in the first half!

btk108
2/2/2009, 08:16 PM
Here we come!

Sooner98
2/2/2009, 08:20 PM
Vols on a Kelvin-esque 7-minute field goal drought.

tommieharris91
2/2/2009, 08:43 PM
Vols on a Kelvin-esque 7-minute field goal drought.

OU was on a similar drought. But the Sooners go into halftime up 41-36. I can't say I'm a good fan here. I had to change the channel to House when the score was 32-18 because I need a better DVR. :(

btk108
2/2/2009, 08:50 PM
Can someone tell me what Roethlisberger brings to the game?...She cant' shoot...she can't play defense...but she can definitely foul.

btk108
2/2/2009, 08:51 PM
But what a job on finding Whitney Hand, Sherri hit a homerun there.

OU1988
2/2/2009, 10:29 PM
Finally a win vs. the Big 2 (Tennessee or Uconn)! Great performances by Whitney, Ashley, & Danielle.

sooner2b09
2/2/2009, 10:30 PM
Can someone tell me what Roethlisberger brings to the game?...She cant' shoot...she can't play defense...but she can definitely foul.

But she has a famous last name and we love that at OU :D

tulsaoilerfan
2/2/2009, 10:38 PM
First time i've watched CP this year, but she seems to not be as good as she was as a freshman; looked slower and even more out of shape, but damn Whitney Hand sure is impressive

Curly Bill
2/2/2009, 10:41 PM

She's cute as can be. ;)

Sooner98
2/2/2009, 10:46 PM
First time i've watched CP this year, but she seems to not be as good as she was as a freshman; looked slower and even more out of shape, but damn Whitney Hand sure is impressive

Basically all CP does is rebound and shoot layups, and she wasn't very good at the latter tonight.

Curly Bill
2/2/2009, 10:49 PM
You guys hear Bob Knight say he thinks at this point Ashley is a better player than her sister? I don't know that I totally agree, but it was interesting he said that.

...and like him or not you have to admit the dude knows a little about B-ball.

Lott's Bandana
2/3/2009, 12:09 AM
I've been to a half dozen games this year and CP actually played a really great game. Yes, she missed about a dozen layups and should have easily continued her double-double streak. However, her defense was stellar against BIGGER players for once, and her control underneath allowed the rest of the team to take over.

There was a point in the second half where the refs called more fouls against OU than Tennessee scored points...4 in :25 seconds at one point. It seemed like an effort to get Tenn to the bonus right away to get back into the game.
OU didn't get to the bonus until there was less than a minute or so left, although they could have arrested the Tenn players for assault the way they were mauling Courtney. She hung in there and it was a fun run to watch.

Talk about sucky DVR's this Cox POS can't hold a Super Bowl and a basketball game. I came back to watch a great game and it wasn't there....dammit.

SteelClip49
2/3/2009, 12:59 AM
I was at the game and it was a great crowd. Drunk Eddie and son was there, old Musberger was there at the table with Knight....man what a great night of basketball!!!!! Whitney Hand is lights out amazing and the great teamwork was insanely good. CP had a double double in sight but had many missed easy bucket opportunities but had some great rebounds and some nice assists. This team is great and will go far. It sure is sad that it wasn't sold out; figured people would go to a game where tickets were cheap for such a marquee matchup.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/3/2009, 01:25 AM
Great win tonight vs. Tenn.; I know some people will say it's not the Tennessee of last year or previous vintage years, but they're still Tennessee.
Since we cleared the Tennessee hurdle, wouldn't it be great if we could clear the UConn hurdle. Oh, maybe do that in the national title game?:D

And props to CP3 for her streak of 112 consecutive double-doubles; a feat which may never again be duplicated.

ouflak
2/3/2009, 03:34 AM
This was a good one. Wish it had been telecast here, but I will be seeing the highlights soon enough.

ouwapiti
2/3/2009, 09:10 AM
i dont see courtney being any better than she was as a frosh....maybe a slightly better free throw shooter.....her shooting technique is and always has been awkward...she doesnt really shoot she throws/flips it up there and really has no post moves...if she cant muscle it up there she's pretty much done...plus, she hasnt made the commitment to get in shape like ashley has.....i agree with bob knight, ashley is the better player........roethlisberger...hmmmm....my goodness she needs to get better

badger
2/3/2009, 09:24 AM
Yay! Sorry about the CP3 streak coming to an end, but like Coach Coale said, it might be a blessing in disguise. It was obvious that they'd keep her in late just for her to get that 10th point or 10th rebound sometimes.

We went out running last night, so I had to record it. I hit "live" from minute one to minute 19... and missed the bad part :D So, nothing but kudos everywhere, especially for the guy who thought to stick a microphone on Pat Summit. Lol.

badger
2/3/2009, 09:57 AM
Ok, many more thoughts since I forced NP into watching this game last night and all...

1- I want Bobby Knight to call more of our games. Did you notice how he never got distracted by "Celebrities in attendance! Whoo whoo Jeff Capel and Bob Stoops with their families!" or "Bubba Paris played alongside Joe Montana!" but instead focused on the fundamentals of basketball. If they really want to make wimmin's bball more mainstream, they need more mainstream guys calling it. Hell, send Dickie V to a game (so long as it isn't ours) or two when ESPN broadcasts the women's March Madness!

2- Ashley Paris is the new Courtney Paris. I noticed at least twice when CP3 would bonk a shot off the backboard, AP5 would get the rebound and make the shot. Remember when Courtney used to get her own rebound off her own missed shot?

3- Our guards will help in tourney play where we've fallen flat before. Ole Miss a few years ago had a quickness we couldn't keep up with. I don't foresee that being an issue this year. Hooray for recruiting speed!

4- Whitney Hand for Rookie of the Year. If Bobby Knight likes you despite the fact that you're a rookie (remember him trashing K-State and USC last year in tourney talk for being "too young?" lol) then you know you have a good player on your team.

5- I am torn on having OU home games in Oklahoma City. On one hand, it gives the teams the chance to play at an NBA arena. On the other hand, it's not our home... on my third hand, it's not the fan-unfriendly Lloyd Noble Center :D

NormanPride
2/3/2009, 11:10 AM
The game was pretty fun to watch. I was impressed with our ball handling, and it was a clear mismatch once we discovered that all their guards were huge but slow. We could have won by 30, but we were trying to get #3 her 113'th double double.

I'm still worried about our outside shooting, but when Hand is on, we don't need much help out there. We also need to learn that settling for Ashley or Amanda's long 2 pointers is okay. The point is to stretch the D out to the arc so that getting the ball in to our great posts is easier. Then we're a monster.

2/3/2009, 11:26 AM
Ok, many more thoughts since I forced NP into watching this game last night and all...

1- I want Bobby Knight to call more of our games. Did you notice how he never got distracted by "Celebrities in attendance! Whoo whoo Jeff Capel and Bob Stoops with their families!" or "Bubba Paris played alongside Joe Montana!" but instead focused on the fundamentals of basketball. If they really want to make wimmin's bball more mainstream, they need more mainstream guys calling it. Hell, send Dickie V to a game (so long as it isn't ours) or two when ESPN broadcasts the women's March Madness!

2- Ashley Paris is the new Courtney Paris. I noticed at least twice when CP3 would bonk a shot off the backboard, AP5 would get the rebound and make the shot. Remember when Courtney used to get her own rebound off her own missed shot?

3- Our guards will help in tourney play where we've fallen flat before. Ole Miss a few years ago had a quickness we couldn't keep up with. I don't foresee that being an issue this year. Hooray for recruiting speed!

4- Whitney Hand for Rookie of the Year. If Bobby Knight likes you despite the fact that you're a rookie (remember him trashing K-State and USC last year in tourney talk for being "too young?" lol) then you know you have a good player on your team.

5- I am torn on having OU home games in Oklahoma City. On one hand, it gives the teams the chance to play at an NBA arena. On the other hand, it's not our home... on my third hand, it's not the fan-unfriendly Lloyd Noble Center :DGood read. I have never personally disliked Bob Knight. He's wound a bit tight, but is interesting enough.

humblesooner
2/3/2009, 11:39 AM
...and like him or not you have to admit the dude knows a little about B-ball.

I don't....and you are correct.
Too bad God wasted that BB talent on such a jackass.

badger
2/3/2009, 12:30 PM
I don't....and you are correct.
Too bad God wasted that BB talent on such a jackass.

God appears to waste a lot of athletic talent on people that don't want or need it... but you could say that about a lot of various talents, including our personal talents. What talent have YOU wasted today?

Personally, I have not played piano or trumpet in months, talents that I have wasted ever since high school and college, disrespectively. I have also not volunteered my time with helping others as much as I could or should. When faced with doing something useful with my time or something useless, I have far too often chosen the useless pleasures of life.

:P But, that's a different topic for a different thread in a different forum. The topic at-hand remains women's basketball, which Bobby Knight has never coached, but at least he seemed to do his homework enough to realize how often the OU celebrities (haha) in the crowd are mentioned enough to change the subject frequently whenever they were mentioned.

He also did his homework enough to know that while CP3 has received constant kudos for being in the right place at the right time to receive easy buckets and easy rebounds (remember - she has received failing grades from coaches on rebounding ever since the freshman year she first received the rebounding crown), her sister Ashley Paris deserves more commendation for creating her own shots away from the basket, having to move to the right place for rebounds and most importantly, putting in offseason work to be the best player she can be.

The look on Knight's face whenever ESPN showed Brent, Bobby and Nancy was priceless. They could have been any of the following:

1- I'm surrounded by idiots
2- Media really is prostitution and I feel like a dirty whore.
3- I wonder if I throw a chair at that Tennessee chick if she'll stop turning over the d@mn ball
4- F*** no I'm not gonna coach in the SEC. My resume is too squeaky clean to have to put up with so many d@mn boosters.
5- I wonder if I could coach women's basketball... no, their necks are too scrawny to strangle and they're too short to ever look me in the eye.
6- Whitney Hand.... Whitney Hand... Whitney Hand... Whitney Hand...
7- Those ESPN bastards think I'm out the door so they're putting me on the chicky game tonight. Well, at least they won't keep mentioning my son getting kicked out of the Nebbish game (checks the ESPN bottom scrolled) Oh, gawd d@mmit! F*** this gig, f*** ESPN, f*** all the media, I'm qui... hey, Whitney Hand hit another shot! If I ever coach women's basketball, I'm gonna get her to transfer. She is such an awesome... (Hand finally misses a shot) GAWD D@MMIT!