PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana 9 to 5

bri
4/5/2004, 03:18 PM
The Edge here is observing the tenth anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death with an all-day marathon of Nirvana songs. They're also playing snippetts of old interviews with Nirvana and other artists talking about Kurt, and taking calls from listeners telling their stories about where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. It's pretty damn cool.

Although, they have yet to play my request of "Molly's Lips". Grrr.

OU4LIFE
4/5/2004, 03:19 PM
if by "cool" you mean "gay" then I agree.

Could there possibly BE a more overhyped dead lead singer?

pffffft

Spray
4/5/2004, 03:21 PM

Mick Jagger.

OU4LIFE
4/5/2004, 03:26 PM
no, he just LOOKS dead.

bri
4/5/2004, 03:27 PM

pffffft
Ah, go braid your forearm, monkeyman.

Eddie Money
4/5/2004, 03:27 PM

pffffft

Would you rather hear some Trapt?

crawfish
4/5/2004, 03:34 PM
I had no idea Nirvana did a version of "9 to 5". Bet it was cool (or gay).

King Crimson
4/5/2004, 03:37 PM
still got a vinyl copy of the original Bleach LP on SubPop.

Bleach rules.

KaiserSooner
4/5/2004, 03:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of Bleach....just didn't do it for me.

On the other hand, Nevermind is probably the only cd on which I like every song.

Gambino Sooner
4/5/2004, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't mind a 9am to 11am Nirvan fest.

9 to 5 might be a little long for my teen spirit.

SOONER44EVER
4/5/2004, 03:52 PM

pffffft
Didn't you hear? He's the voice of a whole generation! :D

SoonerBBall
4/5/2004, 03:53 PM
What a great day to not listen to the Edge. :D

But seriously, Nirvana was a good band, but they aren't nearly as good as Nirvana fans want everyone to believe. Both Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were better grunge bands, and I don't buy for a minute that Nirvana "created" grunge music.

KC//CRIMSON
4/5/2004, 03:57 PM
They didn't "create" grunge music. They brought it to the mainstream. IMHO I wouldn't call them grunge per say....now someone like Mudhoney....that's grunge!

Rhino
4/5/2004, 03:58 PM
I wish they would just do something like this on a different date.

Suicide is not something to be glorified or memorialized.

SoonerBBall
4/5/2004, 04:06 PM
Suicide is not something to be glorified or memorialized.
Unless it is to escape Courtney Love's vile clutches.

Partial Qualifier
4/5/2004, 04:10 PM
What a great day to not listen to the Edge. :D

But seriously, Nirvana was a good band, but they aren't nearly as good as Nirvana fans want everyone to believe. Both Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were better grunge bands, and I don't buy for a minute that Nirvana "created" grunge music.
Agreed. For the first time ever, I disagree with Bri on something. I liked Nirvana back then but to me, they're just another 90's-sounding band.

Rhino
4/5/2004, 04:10 PM
I didn't catch it last night, but SpikeTV has this new show called This Just In... that is pretty funny.

It's debut show last week had a character talking to someone and said something like:

"Kurt Cobain was completely sober when he killed himself. He finally got himself completely off drugs, sobered up and realized what a dirty skank he was married to and ended it right then and there."

Gambino Sooner
4/5/2004, 04:12 PM
I thought Cortney Love was hot, for about 2 minutes.

KC//CRIMSON
4/5/2004, 04:20 PM
I didn't catch it last night, but SpikeTV has this new show called This Just In... that is pretty funny.

It's debut show last week had a character talking to someone and said something like:

"Kurt Cobain was completely sober when he killed himself. He finally got himself completely off drugs, sobered up and realized what a dirty skank he was married to and ended it right then and there."

I saw something similar on another show and the guy kept calling him Kurt KaBang....

Norm In Norman
4/5/2004, 04:26 PM
What happened to KSPI? I think they were playing classic hits from the 80s this morning.

Oldnslo
4/5/2004, 04:36 PM
I used to think Nirvana rocked my face off, but since then, I've checked, and my face is still here.

Just another band... limited staying power.

I feel stupid and contagious.

mrowl
4/5/2004, 04:49 PM
nah, no Suicide, Courtney killed him... (insert dramatic music here)

OklahomaTrombone
4/5/2004, 04:54 PM
I agree with Gambino....does Nirvana even have enough music to play from 9 to 5?

Enrico Palazo
4/5/2004, 04:56 PM
i'll take overrated bands for $600, Alex.

Jerk
4/5/2004, 05:12 PM
They were not overrated. They were a big part in moving rock/metal away from the hair band sound of the 1980's and into what we've had for the last 10 years.

BTW - Speaking of Trapt. They got beat by Poison(!) during the KATT's March Madness of Rock tourneyment. *this is where people vote their favorite band to the next round until there's a champion. I think it was a protest of radio's unbelieavable blitz last summer where Trapt's 'Headstrong' was played 50 million times.

batonrougesooner
4/5/2004, 05:32 PM
As mentioned, Cobain almost single-handedly took grunge from obscurity to mainstream. Alanis Morrisette has nothing on him when it comes to irony.

There is nothing that turns an average artist into a musical genius quicker than brains on drywall or vomit in trachea.

I also agree on Soundgarden, and AIC. Don't forget STP.

Gambino Sooner
4/5/2004, 05:34 PM
As mentioned, Cobain almost single-handedly took grunge from obscurity to mainstream. Alanis Morrisette has nothing on him when it comes to irony.

There is nothing that turns an average artist into a musical genious quicker than brains on drywall or vomit in trachea.

I also agree on Soundgarden, and AIC. Don't forget STP.

STP was the best of all mentioned groups (to me anyway).

KC//CRIMSON
4/5/2004, 07:31 PM
Contrary to popular belief, STP was not from Seattle. They were from New Jersey and Santa Cruz and resided in San Diego....

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2004, 07:40 PM
i'll take overrated bands for $600, Alex.

What is Rush?

Or was that the $1000 question?

BigRedJed
4/5/2004, 07:43 PM
Best Nirvana song evar is an uncredited bonus track on the "No Alternative" compilation. The CD was an AIDS awareness fundraiser disk released in 1993 that also includes these great tracks (awesome compilation -- if you don't have it, get it):

Matthew Sweet - Superdeformed
Buffalo Tom - For All To See
Soul Asylum - Sexual Healing
Urge Overkill - Take A Walk
American Music Club - All Your Jeans Were Too Tight
Goo Goo Dolls - Bitch
Pavement - Unseen Power Of The Picket Fence
Smashing Pumpkins - Glynis
Bob Mould - Can't Fight It
Sarah McLachlan - Hold On
Soundgarden - Show Me
Straitjacket Fits - Brittle
Barbara Manning - Joed Out
The Verlaines - Heavy 33
Uncle Tupelo - Effigy
Beastie Boys - It's the New Style
The Breeders - Iris
Patti Smith - Memorial Tribute

The song is sometimes referred to as Verse, Chorus, Verse, but I've read somewhere that the real title is Sappy. If you ever doubted Nirvana's power to rock your face off, listen to that track.

BigRedJed
4/5/2004, 07:44 PM
And KC's right. STP was a San Diego band. Great to listen to, but posers all the way.

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2004, 07:45 PM
Contrary to popular belief, STP was not from Seattle. They were from New Jersey and Santa Cruz and resided in San Diego....

Yep. STP was gravytraining Pearl Jam's sound on their first album for sure, but they were out of the San Diego "scene."

There was some good music out of Seattle in the late 80s early 90s. If you dislike Nirvana, more power to you, but there's other bands from that scene that rocked.

Mother Love Bone-which had some members of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam-was a great band. Check out "Crown of Thorns" some time.

Mudhoney-You gotta love a group that entitles an album "My Brother the Cow" to poke fun at vegans.

Pearl Jam-Say what you want about Eddie's politics or their more recent stuff, but listen to "Live on Two Legs" and tell me that that's not a band who had an influence.

Weezer-though they came out a little later, these guys are some of the most talented guys on the scene today.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/5/2004, 07:58 PM
I didn't know who Kurt Cobain or Nirvana was until after he blew his brains out.

Al Gore
4/5/2004, 08:03 PM
Nirvana killed the "Hair Bands" and changed music for the 90's...

KC//CRIMSON
4/5/2004, 08:04 PM
There's also a hidden Nirvana track that's pretty good on the "Singles" sound track....

Rhino
4/5/2004, 11:25 PM
i'll take overrated bands for $600, Alex. Who is Led Zeppelin?

Rhino
4/5/2004, 11:30 PM
STP was a second-wave "grunge band," along with Bush and Candlebox...even Smashing Pumpkins to a degree(although I argue with the latter). Many people in the music industry viewed STP (and still view) them as hacks.

AIC pulled off the heavy band-goes-acoustic sound and did it perfectly.

Soundgarden was great. Had they liked each other, rock music would be the better for it.

If you haven't bought the Singles soundtrack, you're missing some of the best music of the early 90s. Paul Westerberg put together a masterpiece there.

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2004, 11:56 PM
Absolutely. In fact, "Dyslexic Heart" is one of my all-time faves.

GottaHavePride
4/6/2004, 12:19 AM
Heh. Supposedly I'm part of the generation Kurt Cobain was supposed to be the voice of. (Gotta love that preposition there...) I was never that crazy about Nirvana. I was listening to Dizzy Gillespie at that point. Oh, and I have little sympathy for someone who did it to himself. He probably just wanted to get away from Courtney Love.

BA-ZING!

OU4LIFE
4/6/2004, 07:19 AM
I miss AIC.

I'm down in a hole

Howzit
4/6/2004, 07:40 AM
Who is Led Zeppelin?

No, I'm sorry, that would be who is The Darkness.

BigRedJed
4/6/2004, 08:23 AM
STP was a second-wave "grunge band," along with Bush and Candlebox...even Smashing Pumpkins to a degree(although I argue with the latter). Many people in the music industry viewed STP (and still view) them as hacks.

AIC pulled off the heavy band-goes-acoustic sound and did it perfectly.

Soundgarden was great. Had they liked each other, rock music would be the better for it.

If you haven't bought the Singles soundtrack, you're missing some of the best music of the early 90s. Paul Westerberg put together a masterpiece there.
I'm with you on STP, Bush and Candlebox. All posers. I have an easier time listening to STP, however.

You're right about the Singles soundrack. A must-have.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/6/2004, 08:29 AM
I love Candlebox. But only the first album. Lucy was succage.

I am the only person I know that loves that CD. I still listen to it.

And for the record, I strongly believe that he did not kill himself. I think he was all doped up and had 'help'. She had something to do with it and she will be dealt with when the time comes.

I think if he wanted to kill himself he would've just OD'd. Blowing his head off was not his style.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sexy Sooner Angel
4/6/2004, 08:31 AM
And for the record, I strongly believe that he did not kill himself. I think he was all doped up and had 'help'. She had something to do with it and she will be dealt with when the time comes.

I think if he wanted to kill himself he would've just OD'd. Blowing his head off was not his style.

Just my opinion, of course.

I have always thought the same thing as well.

jk the sooner fan
4/6/2004, 08:37 AM
say what you want about STP but I like em....

and Dave Grohl was the most talented member of Nirvana...just my opinion.

OU4LIFE
4/6/2004, 08:39 AM
hehe he said "member"...

Boarder
4/6/2004, 10:18 AM
BSG, there were some dudes on the Today show this morning who have a book and theory out about that same thing. They think he was murdered.

I really liked "Nevermind", but it mad me more mad at him when he suicided than all sorry for him. I was like, "what a freak"!

SoonerBBall
4/6/2004, 11:53 AM
Before reading this thread I had never heard STP grouped in with any grunge bands, and I don't think that is really their style. I'm probably biased, though, cause I love STP.

JK is right, Dave Grohl was the most talented member of Nirvana.

I miss AIC too. I remember the day they found Layne Staley dead I though "****, now I'll never get to see Alice In Chains in concert." That was a sad day.

Gambino Sooner
4/6/2004, 12:14 PM
I don't care what "wave" STP was in (regarding the grunge thing). I liked their music....until Weiland went into rehab. Everything after that sucked. I mean, I'm glad the dude got clean, but the music suffered (that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean).

As for Pearl Jam, Vs. was the best album released, followed by Ten. To me, there wasn't a better sound at the time. While I really liked Vitalogy, everything since hasn't done anything for me.

I don't put Soundgarden in the same arena as Nirvana. I think their (Soundgarden) music was more "raw"...much better (in my opinion).

Trive question: What Soungarden song was remade by a country music icon? (bonus: name the country music icon)

Rhino
4/6/2004, 12:50 PM
Trive question: What Soungarden song was remade by a country music icon? (bonus: name the country music icon) Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage. One of his best remakes.

Gambino Sooner
4/6/2004, 02:28 PM
Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage. One of his best remakes.

Nice work.

I recently downloaded that one and his remake of hurt.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2006, 01:28 AM
They used to have karaoke nights at the Penland dorm cafeteria at Baylor. Well one of the songs played was Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit" which isn't exactly a karaoke friendly tune. Anyway, this guy Canadian guy with a terrible lisp and got up and sang it. You can't imagine how horrifying Nirvana karaoke can be.

soonerboomer93
12/29/2006, 02:44 AM
why yes, yes I can

BigRedJed
12/29/2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks for dragging up this ancient thread. For a minute I thought bri must have offed himself again.

BigRedJed
12/29/2006, 06:41 AM
Which, BTW, would be deliciously ironic in a Kurt Cobain thread.

bri
12/29/2006, 11:29 AM
Heh.

C&CDean
12/29/2006, 11:42 AM
Gee. I can't believe I missed this POS the first time around.

Boarder
12/29/2006, 11:54 AM
Hehe, Trapt. Talk about "SEE YA!"

sooneron
12/29/2006, 03:56 PM
Throwing SP in with the grunge bands was musically incorrect.

soonerboomer93
12/29/2006, 04:12 PM
yes, it is incorrect, SP was never grunge

I've actually started listening to a fair amount of Nirvana again (mainly spurred on by a lot of Foo Fighters listening). Their unplugged album may have been one of the best albums of the 90's.

SoonerTitan
12/29/2006, 05:51 PM
Nirvana killed hair metal so I hold a grudge.