PDA

View Full Version : Yep, U-Dub totally made the right choice

bri
1/29/2009, 09:52 PM
Washington reports second recruiting violation by Sarkisian (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/01/29/washington.violation.ap/index.html?eref=si_ncaaf)

SEATTLE (AP) -- Washington is self-reporting to the Pac-10 Conference a second recruiting violation this month by new football coach Steve Sarkisian.

Though the violations are secondary, any such missteps are a sensitive issue for Washington, a former national power program that's been in disarray for most of this decade.

The Huskies were the only winless team in major college football last year and coach Tyrone Willingham was fired during the season.

"I want to make it clear that we do not tolerate NCAA violations," Washington athletic director Scott Woodward said Thursday. "We, as a department, are committed to compliance with the rules."

Woodward has been in his job on a full-time basis since September. He said a violation occurred when Sarkisian, the former Southern California offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator Nick Holt, who also just arrived from USC, met with two high-school seniors and their coach last week in Los Angeles. A reporter from the Los Angeles Times and a junior teammate of the two players were also present.

The Times reported Wednesday the meeting with Jordan High School senior James Boyd, a star quarterback and defensive end who has committed to Southern California, along with Jordan High coach Elijah Asante, senior Delvon Purvis and junior Deshawn Beck took place at a hair salon and then a coffee shop.

The story focused on how colleges sometimes offer scholarships to relatively lightly regarded players in a push to sign their star teammates.
The Times reporter, Ben Bolch, said he was at the hair salon interviewing a player and his coach when Sarkisian and Holt arrived. Bolch said he did not know the Huskies coaches were coming, and that he then just observed them with the players and their coach.

"Bottom line is that they did not know I would be there and did not talk to me other than to make introductions," Bolch said of Sarkisian and Holt, in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Washington acknowledged the NCAA does not permit coaches to have off-campus contact with recruits until July 1 prior to their senior year. It is also forbidden to have contact with recruits in the presence of media.
"Coach Sarkisian and Coach Holt found themselves in an awkward situation that was not of their doing," Woodward said. "They regret that the incident occurred, and I'm confident that they will handle similar circumstances differently in the future."

Last week, the school reported to the Pac-10 that Sarkisian and his staff simulated a game-day entrance during an on-campus visit by a recruit, specifically smoke and players running out of the Husky Stadium tunnel. An NCAA bylaw prohibits prospects from participating in any type of "game-day simulations" during a visit. Washington expected to get an administrative reprimand from the conference for that and did not believe it would jeopardize the eligibility or recruitment of any players.

Mike Matthews, the Pac-10's associate commissioner for compliance, did not immediately return messages left at his office in Walnut Creek, Calif., seeking comment for Washington having two violations in two weeks. His staff is reviewing the incidents.

Reggie Bush's family gives these "violations" a dismissve wanking motion. :D

King Crimson
1/29/2009, 09:55 PM
with Sarkisian, Neuheisel, Chetey Carroll and Dennis Freaking Erickson the Pac is loading up for some 1970's Southwest Conference style wheeling and dealing.

bri
1/29/2009, 09:59 PM
On the plus side, once the entire conference is on probation, their BCS bid can go to the Mountain West. PROBLEM SOLVED! :D

Getem
1/29/2009, 10:03 PM
Clearly those guys didn't learn anything about recruiting rules at USC. Wonder why.

Rhino
1/29/2009, 10:04 PM
Last week, the school reported to the Pac-10 that Sarkisian and his staff simulated a game-day entrance during an on-campus visit by a recruit, specifically smoke and players running out of the Husky Stadium tunnel. An NCAA bylaw prohibits prospects from participating in any type of "game-day simulations" during a visit. Washington expected to get an administrative reprimand from the conference for that and did not believe it would jeopardize the eligibility or recruitment of any players. Kiffin and Tennessee just self-reported themselves for the same violation.

The first violation which came to light during player interviews was that Washington used a fog machine and a siren to simulate running through the tunnel on game day. It also came to light that new UT Coach Lane Kiffin who was also an assistant at USC violated the same rule the same weekend. (http://www.examiner.com/x-610-Washington-Huskies-Examiner%7Ey2009m1d29-UW-Notes-Secondary-recruiting-violations)

fadada1
1/29/2009, 10:08 PM
doin' it right - SUCK!!!

cheatin' - still SUCK!!!

i hope for their sake there's a third option.

cheezyq
1/29/2009, 10:26 PM
Let's think about this for a second.

UW hires a USC coach to turn the program around. That coach is going to bring with him all the things he has learned throughout his coaching experience.

USC has clearly built its winning reputation on cheating the recruiting trail and not getting caught. Sarkisian learned from the best at how to hide these violations and dodge the NCAA. That's a SKILL. That's something that not many can get away with successfully.

So, you bring in a guy, knowing (from being part of the Pac-10) that he's learned this skill from the best...and yet you refuse to let him use that skill? I'm not promoting cheating by any means, but doesn't it seem a bit ridiculous to "self-report", given that they HAD to know who/what they were getting.

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 10:57 PM
Hey, so long as he's not in an NCAA basketball pool, he's good.

King Crimson
1/29/2009, 11:51 PM
Hey, so long as he's not in an NCAA basketball pool, he's good.

Rick also left CU with some punished violations and severe nuancing of the rules were par of the Rickster course.

I'm not a fan of Rick and know a lot of people who feel conned by the guy around here. and i mean personally, and not betrayed because he took the UW job (after his last two mediocre seasons at CU). the Seattle Post-I or Times expose on Rick's Huskies was pretty ugly.

I was surprised to see him get back in the game at that high (UCLA) level, to be honest.

bri
1/30/2009, 12:03 AM
Well, UCLA ain't as high a level as it used to be.

King Crimson
1/30/2009, 12:10 AM
Well, UCLA ain't as high a level as it used to be.

I think Terry Donahue was the Barry Alavarez of the 80's....supremely overrated and media hyped. but, Rick seriously damaged two programs upon his departure and had his best years with inherited recruits (i could have won 10 games a year with McCartney's recruits in 95 and 96)....and had the gambling thing.

he left Colorado a week before NSD and Troy Polumalu among others wanting to be a Buff. he just left. scorched earth, and tried to recruit some kids to UW...which you are not supposed to do. Rick is a scumbag.

Anyway, i think he should have coached a couple years at San Jose State or something before getting a "bigtime job". people cite his 68% winning, but take away the 22 wins he had with McCartney's recruits (top 5 classes as jrs and srs) and that % is a lot lower.

bri
1/30/2009, 12:25 AM
Oh yeah, he's definitely a scumbag, but if scumbags can get results someone will always be ready to give them another chance.

OU_Sooners75
1/30/2009, 03:53 AM
hmmmmmmm.....

The NCAA still will not investigate the teacher and mentor of Kiffin and Sarkisian...Pete "Teflon" Carroll and USuCk!

OU_Sooners75
1/30/2009, 05:32 AM
My newest article at BleacherReport.com

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/117463-dear-ncaa-something-smells-fishy-but-you-still-wont-look (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/117463-dear-ncaa-something-smells-fishy-but-you-still-wont-look)

Please, click the link so it will show up as a read. Thanks.....

I know I will get criticized and hammered for what I am about to write about. But many outside of this certain university probably agrees with me.

Dear NCAA,

You have two new coaches in your college ranks from one coaching tree. Neither have coached a game at their new jobs. However, both have served as coordinators for the same teacher/coach.

With that said, you could say that both of these coaches learned how to recruit from this coach.

I am talking about Steve Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin.

Both of these young coaches spent time as Offensive Coordinators at Southern California under the direction and guidance of Pete Carroll.

So what does the new head coach (Steve Sarkisian) at the University of Washington do? Commit two recruiting violations in his short time as the new Husky head coach.

The first was having recruits on visit given a simulation of game-day introductions and stadium entrances.

Now the Huskies have to contend with Sarkisian visiting a recruit, which is a high school senior while high school underclassmen (also potential recruits) were present. As you very well know, coaches cannot talk with or visit Juniors until July 1st of the year they become Seniors in high school.

Lane Kiffin, which was the offensive coordinator before Sarkisian, gets hired at Tennessee. What does he do? The same thing as Steve did in simulating game day activities with recruits.

Where did these guys learn these recruiting tactics? Sure the second violation by Sarkisian could be an innocent mistake, since the meeting with the upperclassmen was at a hair salon and later at a coffee shop. So lets leave that one for you to determine.

However, when you have two new coaches that have not been away from Southern California or Pete Carroll that long, you have to raise an eye brow when they both do the same exact recruiting violation.

So shouldn't you be looking at Pete Carroll and his recruiting standards?

Mr. Carroll still has some smoke floating around about the Reggie Bush ordeal. Be it true or not, when these types of things come about from very young coaches, both taught by the same guy, you have to start to question the recruiting practices of that teacher.

Say what you want. Keep your opinion about the matter to yourself. It does not matter. Something smells like fish on the campus of Southern California. And until prove Pete Carroll does not recruit in this manner, then the smell will always be there.

Thanks for your time,
Concerned College Football Fan.

With all that said, my opinion, nor this article will get the NCAA interested in USC or Pete Carroll. But it sure felt good getting this off my chest.

Must be a nice luxury knowing you are above the rules set forth by the NCAA.

badger
1/30/2009, 06:00 AM
I would say that the Pac 10 losing their bid is a good thing, except for the fact that they actually won all of their bowl games this past postseason... even if the win was only 3-2 in one case :rolleyes:

Even if the auto goes to Mountain West, USC will continue to get an at-large... and that at-large will always be to the Rose Bowl. Seriously, will the Rose Bowl ever again accept anything except Big 10 vs. Pac 10?

bri
1/30/2009, 08:58 AM
Nope. Grandpa tried lettin' other people play, but they kept winnin' and defilin' the grandeur and sanctity of the Rose Bowl. YOU'LL GET USC VERSUS A 4-LOSS BIG TEN TEAM EVERY YEAR, AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!

BermudaSooner
1/30/2009, 09:10 AM
It is an interesting observation, but thankfully in American we don't convict someone based upon the actions of his colleagues.

oupride
1/30/2009, 10:07 AM
Good post, thanks!

XingTheRubicon
1/30/2009, 10:19 AM
Perhaps we should worry about OU's biggest recruit in the Stoops era driving a Lexus for 6 weeks while securing financing. I know other customers do this (drive the car while securing financing), however they do not do it for 6 weeks.

Michigan, Stanford, etc. can bag on USC, OU not so much.

soonerfan28
1/30/2009, 11:00 AM
Perhaps we should worry about OU's biggest recruit in the Stoops era driving a Lexus for 6 weeks while securing financing. I know other customers do this (drive the car while securing financing), however they do not do it for 6 weeks.

That was investigated and there were no rules violations.

tommieharris91
1/30/2009, 11:03 AM

The story out of our compliance department is that AD had the financing for the car, but his parents could not pay it for more than one month. They were forced to return the car to the dealer because they could not afford it.

XingTheRubicon
1/30/2009, 02:24 PM
The story out of our compliance department is that AD had the financing for the car, but his parents could not pay it for more than one month. They were forced to return the car to the dealer because they could not afford it.

You don't get to pay for a car for one month and then decide if it fits your budget. That is called a voluntary repo.

The car was, (in auto sales lingo) streeted. That is a term for putting someone on the street in the car they wish to buy even though they are not and "instant qualifier" by Chase, BoA, etc. People with marginal credit/income whatever are sometimes streeted if the business manager (finance guy) is positive he can get the deal bought and funded.

Here's the rub. Once the business manager gets the deal bought (less than 72 hours in almost every case) he has to get the buyer in to sign. The problem was that the deal (Household Finance at 13% and a payment of $490) or whatever it ended up, was too much for AD's mother or whoever was signing the straw purchase. jk. This entire process takes less than 5 business days 99 percent of the time, usually 2. AD had the car for 6 weeks. That is not normal, not even resembling normal. However, it does resemble a marginal credit purchase, just longer time afforded than normal.

Here is my basic beef. Any time in the future that say Sam Bradford or J. McFarland show up in a shiny car......how 'bout our compliance dept knows what the **** is going on inside of a month and a half.

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2009, 05:10 AM
You don't get to pay for a car for one month and then decide if it fits your budget. That is called a voluntary repo.

The car was, (in auto sales lingo) streeted. That is a term for putting someone on the street in the car they wish to buy even though they are not and "instant qualifier" by Chase, BoA, etc. People with marginal credit/income whatever are sometimes streeted if the business manager (finance guy) is positive he can get the deal bought and funded.

Here's the rub. Once the business manager gets the deal bought (less than 72 hours in almost every case) he has to get the buyer in to sign. The problem was that the deal (Household Finance at 13% and a payment of $490) or whatever it ended up, was too much for AD's mother or whoever was signing the straw purchase. jk. This entire process takes less than 5 business days 99 percent of the time, usually 2. AD had the car for 6 weeks. That is not normal, not even resembling normal. However, it does resemble a marginal credit purchase, just longer time afforded than normal.

Here is my basic beef. Any time in the future that say Sam Bradford or J. McFarland show up in a shiny car......how 'bout our compliance dept knows what the **** is going on inside of a month and a half.

I am pretty sure Sam will show up in a shiny car, especially if he takes care of his car and washes and waxes it on a routine basis.

What does shininess have to do with your arguement and your stupidity?

XingTheRubicon
2/1/2009, 10:14 AM
I am pretty sure Sam will show up in a shiny car, especially if he takes care of his car and washes and waxes it on a routine basis.

What does shininess have to do with your arguement and your stupidity?

When you're too dense to understand the gist of the post, maybe you should just read more and post less.

Oh, and either take the "Sooners" out of your username or learn how to spell.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/1/2009, 10:44 AM
Xing, the reason it wasn't a rules violation is that the NCAA allowed it for a decade on the basketball side. khalid el amin did it for a year in a pathfinder. richard jefferson for 4 months because he was buying a used escalade off of walton.

back to USC...

personally, the NCAA has always been about retribution. they will hammer any program that crosses them for the littlest crap (us in 88 getting hammered by the statement of hart lee dykes who played for a team that hated us, alabama on testimony of phil fulmer coach of a team that hated them, etc).

kiffin and sarkisian made a fundamental error when they chose the school they were going to coach at - they chose a public institution. the NCAA has an incredible amount of investigatory power because of open records on these schools. private schools, they have nothing but the courts and the schools "playing ball".

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2009, 11:29 AM
When you're too dense to understand the gist of the post, maybe you should just read more and post less.

Oh, and either take the "Sooners" out of your username or learn how to spell.

Sooners
OU_Sooners75
Yep...that is completely spelled wrong.

You are an idiot to say the least. Go on about your aggish ways kiddo.

XingTheRubicon
2/1/2009, 04:22 PM
Xing, the reason it wasn't a rules violation is that the NCAA allowed it for a decade on the basketball side. khalid el amin did it for a year in a pathfinder. richard jefferson for 4 months because he was buying a used escalade off of walton.

I'm not saying I wanted it to be a violation, nor am I saying that I thought it was a violation. I was just simply saying that it was embarrassing. Simply put, if a star player shows up in new/nice/shiny ride, let's make for damn sure it's on the level before Arbor Day.

XingTheRubicon
2/1/2009, 04:33 PM
Sooners
OU_Sooners75
Yep...that is completely spelled wrong.

You are an idiot to say the least. Go on about your aggish ways kiddo.

You misspelled the word argument. Opposing fans sometimes speak of inbred, toothless Sooner fans. They are referencing you. So, especially if you ever visit other boards, take the "Sooners" off your username or learn to spell, either one. You complete and utter simpleton.