PDA

View Full Version : Georgia after Jeff Capel ?

ratedrsuperstar
1/29/2009, 08:02 PM
Among the candidates believed to be high on Georgia's list of potential replacements are Oklahoma's Jeff Capel; Xavier's Sean Miller; UNLV's Lon Kruger; Baylor's Scott Drew; and Virginia Commonwealth's Anthony Grant.

tommieharris91
1/29/2009, 08:07 PM
Nice, you throw out news that probably won't happen, and you decide not to provide a link either. Georgia basketball is a step down from OU and a step down for Capel.

Heck, Georgia getting any of those guys other than Anthony Grant is a pipedream.

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 08:20 PM
Hanging out on the Alabama boards I'm finding it amusing how they think they can pull Mark Few or Tom Izzo. What?

Anthony Grant is going to make some program very happy. His name is coming up pretty regularly on the 'Bama boards.

The only truly unrealistic ones I see on the above list are Capel and Miller. Kruger may be wanting to get back into a major conference and Drew's gotta think recruiting to Georgia's easier than recruiting to Baylor.

tommieharris91
1/29/2009, 08:22 PM
Hanging out on the Alabama boards I'm finding it amusing how they think they can pull Mark Few or Tom Izzo. What?

Anthony Grant is going to make some program very happy. His name is coming up pretty regularly on the 'Bama boards.

The only truly unrealistic ones I see on the above list are Capel and Miller. Kruger may be wanting to get back into a major conference and Drew's gotta think recruiting to Georgia's easier than recruiting to Baylor.

Drew's problem isn't recruiting. It's coaching.

oumartin
1/29/2009, 08:35 PM
Not gonna happen!

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 08:54 PM
Drew's problem isn't recruiting. It's coaching.

Not sure how you coach a star player to not brick three free throws. ;) But agreed-however, he may be able to recruit well enough at Georgia to overcome coaching deficiencies.

King Crimson
1/29/2009, 09:21 PM
Georgia, hoops-wise is a lesser version of OU. School where (again, lesser) football will always come first without OU's significant top 25 type program over the last 25 or so years (hoops). it's one "pro" i guess is it's closer to home.

Maryland is more likely; however, i think by the time it's all said and done that job will be smeared with "crap" after the Dick Vitale's of the world loudly and constantly bemoan the forced resig of Gary Williams for about 5 weeks up through the Final Four. GW goes all the way back to the early days of the Big East at BC and had success at Ohio State, too. the early BE of Massimino and Carneseca and all that is where Dick cut his teeth as an announcer...the nostalgia will flow heavy and loud from the Dickie V.

there will be *a lot* of media kvetching when he goes--. the job will be stained in public, IMO, fair or not from a Terp perspective.

good for us, though.

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 09:24 PM
Its other pro over Baylor:

It's not Baylor.

Seriously, if Georgia WANTS to get good at basketball, they have the resources. They also have a natural recruiting area in Atlanta.

King Crimson
1/29/2009, 09:30 PM
Its other pro over Baylor:

It's not Baylor.

Seriously, if Georgia WANTS to get good at basketball, they have the resources. They also have a natural recruiting area in Atlanta.

i guess. i've been hearing my entire life that Missouri is a sleeping giant in football and basketball for those same reasons.

i think Drew's "Hoosiers" type homespun Valpo background is a good fit at Baylor and in over his head (right now, at least) on a bigger stage like UGA.

cheezyq
1/29/2009, 10:15 PM
One thing Capel has at his current job is momentum. He's doing fantastic on the recruiting trail. He's got a solid winning team right now. Management loves him. Fans love him (although we may not show it by attendance). He's going to get another raise if he does well in the tourney.

You never switch jobs when you have momentum unless the destination is a significant step up. Capel knows that he WILL land a sweet job near his hometown, and that it will be a MUCH better destination than Georgia...if he just waits (perhaps even only a couple of years). In the meantime, he can just enjoy collecting paychecks and using the resources that he has at the best university in college sports.

To be honest, if I were Capel (and yeah, I'm biased), I look at his situation as basketball coach at OU as a no-lose scenario. Basketball is secondary at OU, and while some view that as a negative, it's a huge plus for guys like Ric Barnes, who have zero pressure, yet all the resources and support they could ever need to put together winning teams. There's no WAY you leave something like that for an equal or lower job like Georgia. And I imagine a smart guy would pass up even some slightly more attractive basketball jobs to stay here.

ratedrsuperstar
1/29/2009, 10:23 PM
espn.com

tommieharris91
1/29/2009, 10:59 PM
Not sure how you coach a star player to not brick three free throws. ;) But agreed-however, he may be able to recruit well enough at Georgia to overcome coaching deficiencies.

Scott Drew recruits Texas pretty well now.

Sooner04
1/29/2009, 11:21 PM
OU is a better job than Georgia.
OU has always been a better job than Georgia.
Jeff Capel shant be going to Georgia now or any time soon.

boomersooner28
1/30/2009, 12:59 AM
Why wont ratedrsuperstar just go away?

Just. Go. Away.

Now.

Plzthnx

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2009, 01:13 AM
Scott Drew recruits Texas pretty well now.

I think we're saying the same thing yet not managing to communicate.

He absolutely recruits well right now. It is my opinion that were he at Georgia he would recruit even better. Instead of being the fourth fiddle in Texas recruiting to Texas, OU, and A&M he would be either top dog or at worst second chair in Georgia.

Well, except to Kentucky, I guess.

I'm just saying:

He'd have access to more resources at Georgia than he does at Baylor and recruiting a kid to a state school in Athens has got to be easier than selling the joys of the Baptist lifestyle.

John Kochtoston
1/30/2009, 01:20 AM
I would be shocked, and not a little disappointed, if Capel left OU for Georgia.

Maryland, less so on both counts.

I don't see either one happening.

Readyfor8
1/30/2009, 03:45 AM
It is always amazing to me when a basketball coaching change happens what and who other teams think they can get. Even on this board some of the names mentioned instead of Jeff Capel were to put it mildly delusional. We need only look to our little sisters to the north to see Oklahoma State offer Bill Self a job at their school after he won a National Championship.

Unless you are Duke, UCLA, UNC, or Kentucky, everything else just seems like a lateral move. Basically what I am saying is if we can match anything on the table, except being a traditional powerhouse. Georgia can't pull Capel from us.

OU_Sooners75
1/30/2009, 05:18 AM
I wonder if Capel wants to make his legacy somewhere besides in the Carolina's?

I mean, not every coach will jump at a job, just because it is a bigger coaching spot in that sport.

I know most here despise Leslie Miles. But he is one of a handful of coaches that is making his legacy away from his alma mater.

What says Capel wants to leave OU to go to Duke, or any ACC school for that matter?

Here at OU, he could build a program that could win a national championship. He could turn out to be the Next Bobby Knight, or Coach K. Stay with a program until you retire or are not wanted anymore.

Coach K, is from Chicago. Played at Army. Made Duke into a powerhouse basketball school.

What makes any one think Capel does not want that from OU? He seems to be enjoying his time here.

kevpks
1/30/2009, 06:55 AM
espn.com

I guess that is a more specific link than just saying "internet" but not by much.

badger
1/30/2009, 06:58 AM
Georgia: Where the only way you make it to the Big Dance is by having a big conference tourney after dogging the rest of the season!

Get it?! Dogging?! Woof woof! :rolleyes:

Maybe Charles Barkley could convince K-Pro to leave Virgina Commonwealth for Auburn, but there's less chance of convincing him to leave Oklahoma for Georgia. He already had to start over once after building a fairly solid program in VA (and yes, it was solid - it received the token honor of beating Duke in the early NCAA rounds! yay, Commonwealth!). He has something good going here that would be foolish to walk away from.

Even if Capel has a rare moment of being foolish, he has a lawyer wife who will probably say "no" 100 percent of the time. :D

badger
1/30/2009, 07:01 AM
Among the candidates believed to be high on Georgia's list of potential replacements are Oklahoma's Jeff Capel; Xavier's Sean Miller; UNLV's Lon Kruger; Baylor's Scott Drew; and Virginia Commonwealth's Anthony Grant.

Oh - and I have a new song for your threads:

R-A-T-E-D-R Superstar, your rant trolls on and on...

Seriously, nothing ever positive. Next time there's negative news to report, can't you let someone else handle it, just to mix things up? Better yet, can you completely 180 and start supporting OU?

LSUdeek
1/30/2009, 10:37 AM
They also have a natural recruiting area in Atlanta.

You are forgetting about the ACC school that resides IN Atlanta. ;)

King Crimson
1/30/2009, 10:44 AM

who is currently 0-6 in the ACC.

LSUdeek
1/30/2009, 10:47 AM
Oh, and Drew's got 2 La kids on his roster playing 30 minutes a game that he wouldn't have gotten with Trent Johnson on staff at LSU. He won't be able to recruit Louisiana any longer. :D

LSUdeek
1/30/2009, 10:53 AM
who is currently 0-6 in the ACC.

That's fine, but the Atlanta talents go to Tech way before they consider the Bulldogs.

Here's 3 of the top 5 players in Georgia for 2010. Guess where they committed?

http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=44563&Sport=2

http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=49312&Sport=2

http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=64264&Sport=2

The other schools are NC State and USC. That's 4 out of the top 5 going to the ACC.

It's a tough row to hoe recruiting against those roundball-first schools.

LSUdeek
1/30/2009, 10:54 AM
Regardless, my point is that UGA basketball is going to suck unless they can get another Nique Wilkins to go to school there. It's just too hard to recruit against the ACC schools in that region.

King Crimson
1/30/2009, 11:18 AM
Regardless, my point is that UGA basketball is going to suck unless they can get another Nique Wilkins to go to school there. It's just too hard to recruit against the ACC schools in that region.

fair enough. i agree about the ACC...and that OU is a better job than UGA (as i've posted above). that doesn't mean it can't get done at UGA.

how do you guys like Trent so far? i was a little surprised at that hire, to be honest....Nevada, Stanford to Baton Rouge is not a usual geographical move.

LSUdeek
1/30/2009, 12:08 PM
how do you guys like Trent so far? i was a little surprised at that hire, to be honest....Nevada, Stanford to Baton Rouge is not a usual geographical move.

We love him. He's brought a toughness and an intensity that Brady never brought.. plus they like playing for him. I really wish that the kids who left (including TMG) would have given this cat a chance. We'd be in great position to make a deep tournament run next year if TMG and Bobo Morgan were still here.

He got knocked out of the tournament by Augustin and Texas, who by no small coincidence is from New Orleans. I really believe that Stanford's athletic academic requirements are too much for him to succeed at the highest level of CBB, plus we have the athletic budget to basically pay any coach anything.

Readyfor8
1/30/2009, 01:02 PM
Bobo is a stupid name, and thats coming from a school that has had a Mookie, and a Buster Rhymes...

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2009, 01:27 PM

I didn't forget about them. Atlanta is still a natural recruiting area for Georgia.

Think about it:

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M of the Big 12 all consider the entire state of Texas their natural recruiting area. All of them sign a bunch of kids from Texas. Kansas makes the occasional foray into Texas as well to sign a Darrell Arthur.

If I'm Scott Drew, I have to think it's easier to sign a kid from Atlanta to Georgia (a big state school with plenty of resources) over Georgia Tech (a big school with resources and a decent basketball tradition) than to entice a kid from Dallas/Ft. Worth to sign with Baylor (a small private school with a ton of behavior restrictions, puny resources, and almost 0 basketball traditions) over Oklahoma or Texas (big state schools with a ton of resources and decent basketball traditions) or Texas A&M (big state school with a ton of resources and a newfound commitment to funding basketball in a big way.

jdsooner
3/3/2009, 11:31 PM
Just heard on KTUL that Georgia is prepared to offer a substantial amount of money to Capel.

Norman - Jeff Capel's success at the University of Oklahoma is not going unnoticed.

A report on FoxSports.com says the Georgia Bulldogs are willing to offer Capel their coaching position and pay him upwards of two million dollars or more.

The report is by Jeff Goodman, a senior basketball writer for FoxSports.com. 8
This isn't the first time an SEC team has come knocking on the Sooner coach's door. Last year, Capel was linked to the South Carolina opening, but soon after, he signed a new contract at OU.

Capel is 63-and-28 in three seasons with the Sooners, with this season being his best. The Sooners are 26-and-3 and are fighting for a number one seed in the NCAA Tournament. A big reason for his success is the play of Blake Griffin, but Capel's recruiting of Willie Warren, another McDonald's All-American, makes him one of the hottest commodities in college hoops.

Georgia has been looking for a permanent replacement for Dennis Felton, who was fired in January 2008 after an 0-and-5 start in Southeastern Conference play. Pete Herrmann has been the interim coach ever since.

This season, the Bulldogs are 11-and-18 overall and tied for last in the SEC at 2-and-12.

tommieharris91
3/4/2009, 12:03 AM
Capel would have to lose all of his brain cells to take the Georgia job. It's completely traditionless. Bad facilities for basketball, too.

skycat
3/4/2009, 12:15 AM
The number thrown out by Eric Bossi over at Scout.com is $2.8M.

boomersooner28
3/4/2009, 12:29 AM
Think Joe C. will sleep tonight?

Frozen Sooner
3/4/2009, 12:34 AM
I don't think he loses any sleep. If Georgia is willing to throw $2.8 million at Capel, I think Joe says "Man, good luck with that."

I just don't think that $2.8 million is something the Oklahoma AD is going to be willing to pay their basketball coach. Hell, it raised eyebrows a few years back when STOOPS got $2 million per.

NOTE: Not saying that I don't think Capel is worth anteing up for. He is. That's just an insane number for a basketball coach

Frozen Sooner
3/4/2009, 12:47 AM
The more I think about it...

$2.8MM is what they pay Richt. I have a hard time believing Georgia pays their new-hire basketball coach as much as an established football coach.

sooner518
3/4/2009, 02:03 AM
maybe im delusional, but Georgia really doesnt worry me at all......

boomersooner28
3/4/2009, 02:28 AM
What I've gathered from Georgia fans is that:

1) They think Capel's agent leaked this to get Capel more $ from OU.

2) Capel isn't leaving Norman for Georgia.

3) OU can and will match any offer from Georgia.

4) Some tend to think that he is a great recruiter and a decent coach.

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 01:19 PM
I think it's too much of a prioject and he'll stick around here until it's time to move on to Duke or a tradition school. Oh yea, he also has something they don't. Three McDonalds All-Americans on his team next year. Maybe, but not likely, four MDAA's on his team next year.