PDA

View Full Version : Let Sam Eat.

soonerfan28
1/29/2009, 02:10 PM
Nice.

Sam Bradford

Mossman: Sooner Fans for Bradford
Opinion from OU Senior Associate Athletics Director for Communications Kenny Mossman.

| Mossman Prophecies | Archive

The day that Sam Bradford announced he was returning to Oklahoma for his junior year, one could almost feel the sigh heave forth from the Sooner nation. On many fronts, Sam's decision was cause for celebration.

If I read the emotions correctly, the first response was a combination of relief and euphoria while the second was an outpouring of gratitude. It's that second point that I'd like to address in this space.

What is the appropriate way to say, "Thank You?"

As we ponder that question, let's first go back to early December and a chilly night in New York City. It was then that William Dockery told the world that the 74th Heisman Trophy was being presented to the Oklahoma quarterback.

Multiple times over the next three days, Bradford heard how his life would change as he carried the mantel of the Heisman. Well before the return trip to Norman, proof of that change was lighting up my Blackberry ... with requests for appearances by and autographs from Sam.

In a more tangible way, he soon came face to face with that change at the forfeiture of what little anonymity he had left.

The demands have only increased with the passing of time. At this writing, no fewer than three banquets are seeking to host Sam, one of which is asking him to set the date, while two requests to address high school graduations, including one in another state, also await.

That's five events and just the tip of the iceberg.

From a distance, I can see that the myriad of tugs on this young man's sleeve are flattering. I can also see that they are overwhelming. Some people embrace that kind of spotlight. Sam Bradford, while gracious at every turn and so appreciative of the recognition, does not.

This is a guy of genuine humility. The attention, aside from being a role model to children, bothers him because his values are such that attention is embarrassing and uncomfortable.

Sam loves playing quarterback at Oklahoma, he loves making Sooner fans happy and he prefers to enjoy a meal undisturbed.

Is that still possible given his current standing? Probably not, although some of that depends on all of us and our willingness to let him do the latter.

I am not so naive to think that Sam Bradford bypassed the NFL simply because of his affection for OU. I think we all know that he went through a strenuous process during which he considered his warm feelings for the university, but also his projection in the draft.

Still, in the end, he chose to come back. He came back to classmates, coaches, teammates and most definitely Sooner fans. In other words, he came back to the people.

It was the people who made this situation one that would keep a young man coming back. Brick and mortar are no match for relationships.

So, our task then seems simple. The best way to send our gratitude to Sam is to treat him in the same manner that led him to fall in love with the University of Oklahoma in the first place.

We can smile, wave, nod ... and let the guy eat.

rainiersooner
1/29/2009, 03:19 PM
Great post - couldn't agree more.

JLEW1818
1/29/2009, 04:02 PM
yep

CrimsonJim
1/29/2009, 04:28 PM
Here, here!

bonkuba
1/29/2009, 04:31 PM
Good read :D

Ace
1/29/2009, 06:32 PM
Has OU ever had a returning Heisman winner?

Edit - never mind duh.

SoonersEnFuego
1/29/2009, 06:38 PM
Boomer!!!

sooner59
1/29/2009, 08:24 PM
He and some of his friends were sitting across from us in Chile's last year. I was like "Cool, Sam Bradford is here." My girlfriend was wanting to get a picture or autograph. I simply told her, "Let him eat. He probably gets mobbed all of the time. Let him have a meal with his friends." As soon as I finished my sentence, Sam was promptly mobbed by three girls who had to get a picture with him. I kind of felt bad for him. He and Gresham got mobbed by 20-30 kids at the OU-Baylor game last Saturday during halftime. Hey, at least they waited until halftime and then left him alone when the game started back up.

oudivesherpa
1/29/2009, 08:36 PM
The good thing is Sam can handle the fame and look at the bright side he only has another 20 years of being in the spot light.

SoonerShark
1/29/2009, 08:46 PM
At the Coldplay concert the Sunday before the Tech game he was sitting on a seat on the aisle and I saw very few people bothering him. That was pre-Heisman, though. I was was on the other side of the aisle and many more people bothered me, but that is solely because my irritation level for drunks is quite sensitive.

sooner59
1/29/2009, 08:57 PM
I am always seeing athletes on and off campus, but I just treat them like anyone else. I think they prefer it that way. My cousin got his *** kicked by Sam in ping pong one day. That was funny. I played pool volleyball against Blake and Taylor Griffin (and a few other bball players). And yes, we got completely stroked in every game....but it was fun. Most athletes are really cool if you just take it easy and treat them like anyone else.

Oh and JR is cool and Toby Keith was an *** outside of the MNC in the parking lot. JR gladly took a picture with some of my friends, and Toby pulled down his hat and mumbled something about having to do something and took off. I guess he was in a big hurry 4 hours before the game...

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2009, 11:17 PM
There was an *** missing it's foot.

MrJimBeam
1/30/2009, 05:32 AM
Sam was promptly mobbed by three girls

Happens to me all the time. Ya just learn to live with it.

d.stOUgh
1/30/2009, 06:16 AM
Kudo's all around for Sam, the University of Oklahoma and last but not least, the fans!!!

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!

badger
1/30/2009, 07:31 AM
You mean Sam Bradford has to eat?

You know, I just figured there were some Chuck Norris-like answers (they are both from Oklahoma and both Native Americans, after all) to explain why Sam never had to feed himself.

BoomerJack
1/30/2009, 09:29 AM
Happens to me all the time. Ya just learn to live with it.

Same here. One has to keep in mind that these girls/women are only human.

OklahomaTuba
1/30/2009, 09:42 AM
ITS A TRAP!

the_ouskull
1/30/2009, 11:47 PM
You mean Sam Bradford has to eat?

You know, I just figured there were some Chuck Norris-like answers (they are both from Oklahoma and both Native Americans, after all) to explain why Sam never had to feed himself.

Something gay like, "Sam Bradford doesn't have to eat because his soul devours defenses?" Something freaking terrible like that...?

I hate you. :D

the_ouskull