PDA

View Full Version : Badger's Recruiting Questions

badger
1/28/2009, 02:52 PM
I have a question for recruiting gurus...

I was watching NP playing NCAA Football 2009 last night where all of the colleges were honest in what role he would have with the team (second string, starter, fifth string, etc). So that made me wonder...

1- What pitches work best for top recruits to convince them to come to a university?

2- What promises do you make to recruits, and how do you convince recruits that you'll keep your word?

3- How do you speak about other schools, other players at other schools and other coaches when talking to recruits?

4- How do you react to verbal commitments, knowing that they are non-binding and that they can opt out? Do you treat your verbals any differently than those that have yet to decide? If so, how?

BoulderSooner79
1/28/2009, 04:18 PM
I'm no recruiting guru, but I'll waste your time anyway :)

1) Find out if they are Mama's boy or Poppa's boy and then figure out what Mama/Poppa need to hear.

soonerfan28
1/28/2009, 04:50 PM
I think if you promise them playing time and it doesn't happen then you screw yourself when that former recruit is hosting another recruit in a few years.

badger
1/29/2009, 07:37 AM
how did this get to be a separate thread? I was just asking random questions :confused:

Are you hinting that I ask too many questions here? :D

SOONER STEAKER
1/29/2009, 12:20 PM

I was watching NP playing NCAA Football 2009 last night where all of the colleges were honest in what role he would have with the team (second string, starter, fifth string, etc). So that made me wonder...

1- What pitches work best for top recruits to convince them to come to a university?

At UT, they invite to to SEX parties in Dallas during OU/TX weekend
2- What promises do you make to recruits, and how do you convince recruits that you'll keep your word?

UT alumni will make interest free loans to your parents if you commit.

Collier11
1/29/2009, 03:19 PM

Someone mentioned finding out about momma and daddy, that is big im sure. Mostly I would imagine you tell them that you have an oppurtunity to come to a big time school, get a big time degree, and play D1 football. Alot of people dont have that chance, and we can offer you all of that at OU

From what I hear Stoops is a straight shooter, if it is a position of need you say we have a great oppurtunity for you to come in and start or play alot from day 1 if you work your butt off, but you have to earn it. Otherwise, they will have a shot to play from day 1, it doesnt matter if you are a fresh or senior, its about skill and work ethic but we will coach you up in a good way ;)
3- How do you speak about other schools, other players at other schools and other coaches when talking to recruits?

I dont think Stoops or our coaches talk negatively as much as some, just tell the players if that school is winning titles cus we sure are, and we are playing for them every year. Talk about the competition compared to your school at that players position
4- How do you react to verbal commitments, knowing that they are non-binding and that they can opt out? Do you treat your verbals any differently than those that have yet to decide? If so, how?

From what I hear NO, Stoops and the staff still treat them the same and call as much as you can to reassure them
I dont know as much as some but I do follow recruiting a little, my answers above are based on what I hear about Stoops and his staff and it seems to work for him

JLEW1818
1/29/2009, 04:21 PM
I just want to see the family pic of Badger and NP, and their dog.....

I NEED THIS !!!! lol

:) :) :)

RedstickSooner
1/30/2009, 03:48 AM
Not sure why we're singling out UT -- a *lot* of schools use sex to lure recruits.

You think those hot as hell "hostesses" are chosen for their knowledge of the school? The real question is twofold: Which schools, if any, don't get the recruits laid, and why doesn't the NCAA look into the sex angle any further?

BoulderSooner79
2/1/2009, 02:05 PM

I'm no recruiting guru, but I'll waste your time anyway :)

1) Find out if they are Mama's boy or Poppa's boy and then figure out what Mama/Poppa need to hear.

I was being a little tongue in cheek with my answer, but look at rules #1 and #7 on the ESPN 10 commandments of recruiting to see what I was getting at ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=3871726