PDA

View Full Version : New ORU president

Crimsontothecore
1/28/2009, 05:44 PM
The guy on the left is Mark Rutland, newly named president of ORU. The other two you recognize as Richard Roberts and Oral Roberts.

My question: Is the hairdo a requirement to be the university pres??
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/boomersooner123/orupres.jpg

LoyalFan
1/28/2009, 10:09 PM
I thought Oral's younger brother Anal was a shoo-in for that gig.
Then again, I could be mistaken.

LF

badger
1/29/2009, 07:28 AM
True story -

The AP photo wire had one picture of this guy prior to his name rising out of a search for the new ORU president, and that was this guy sitting next to Colin Powell. Thus, the headlines in the area were "ORU finds president pick" or something like that, and the photo looked like Richard Roberts shaking hands with Colin Powell.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bhucTw0l55F8/610x.jpg

It was LOL funny. People were momentarily jumping for joy that a man like Colin Powell would become ORU president.

Then, they read the photo caption and thought "Who the eff is Mark Rutland?"

Whoops, this is ORU we're speaking of. Their thoughts were NOT "Who the eff is Mark Rutland," but rather:

"God bless this man whom I have not had the blessing of acquaintance and will not unless it is thy will, Lord. Amen!"

1/29/2009, 07:37 AM
Is the Oralster still among us? Being out of state for about a decade, I don't always hear news about these Okie Icons.

badger
1/29/2009, 07:57 AM
Is the Oralster still among us? Being out of state for about a decade, I don't always hear news about these Okie Icons.

The Oral epilogue:

After retiring to sunny California, he briefly returned to try to convince ORU leaders and faculty to forgive and forget his spend happy daughter-in-law and bratty son.

On Wednesday Oral called an 'emergency meeting' for the faculty following the previous "no confidence" vote.

This, of course, was a "no confidence" vote against Oral's son and then-current president, Richard Roberts. ORU had enormous amounts of debt and it was discovered that Richard's wife was spending a lot of time and money at the local Dillard's.

At the recent meeting Oral asked for the faculty who were willing to forgive and start fresh to "stand up."

I heard that this was a classic "peer pressure" move that Oral had exercised in the past. Here is a reported exchange between Oral and a faculty member (unidentified) when nobody stood up. My guess is they had grown tired of Oral's peer pressure act?

Oral: Are you not ready to start over?

Faculty member: I don't know what that means, to start over.

Oral: I would think that would be obvious.

Faculty member: No, Chancellor Roberts, it's not clear, are you asking us to rescind our three motions?

Then Oral Roberts apparently said that the faculty should drop it.

That was the last sighting of Oral in the area, to my recollection.

Veritas
1/29/2009, 08:14 AM
What a buncha clowns that whole crew is. Remember when Oral said that God would kill him if he didn't raise several million dollars?

badger
1/29/2009, 08:22 AM
What a buncha clowns that whole crew is. Remember when Oral said that God would kill him if he didn't raise several million dollars?

Desperate times call for desperate measures. ORU had already lost its medical school and its law school. If Oral didn't find a way to raise, like, $20 million... IMMEDIATELY, then ORU probably would have lost all of its schools... as in, no university. Oral was desperate to save the university and the only way to do that was pay creditors. So again, desperate times, desperate measures.

From someone that spoke with him frequently, Oral was not unintelligent. He said he knew how silly some things sounded that came out of his mouth, like the 800 foot Jesus thing. But through it all, Oral said it's what God told him to do.

Veritas
1/29/2009, 08:37 AM
But through it all, Oral said it's what God told him to do.
That's just not a valid defense (and I don't think you're pitching it as such). If there is a God and Judgment Day is real, I hope God puts his foot clean through the asses of charismatic charlatans like Roberts and son.

swardboy
1/29/2009, 09:26 AM
Amen.

badger
1/29/2009, 10:06 AM
That's just not a valid defense (and I don't think you're pitching it as such). If there is a God and Judgment Day is real, I hope God puts his foot clean through the asses of charismatic charlatans like Roberts and son.

I'm not defending Oral because I've never listened to the guy or endorsed anything he's done or said and I have very limited knowledge of his story except for recent history.

FWIW, the only thing left at ORU concerning Oral is the name (I was wondering if they would change the name after the Roberts family got dumped, but they decided not to I guess). The Roberts family got bought out. It is now the Hobby Lobby family. While I don't know the philisophical difference between the two, there is a clear difference... money. Hobby Lobby has it and is supporting ORU by it, while the Roberts just spent it... at Dillards, in the case of Mrs. Roberts. :D

TUSooner
1/29/2009, 10:07 AM
My question: Is the hairdo a requirement to be the university pres??
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/boomersooner123/orupres.jpg

I belive that hairdo is called the "demi-pompadour." just sayin.

1/29/2009, 10:10 AM
What kind of man named "Oral" names his son Richard?

Just sayin'.

picasso
1/29/2009, 01:23 PM

yes, that whole crew might be a bit loopy but that school has produced some fine people. My brother and wife included.

C&CDean
1/29/2009, 01:41 PM
yes, that whole crew might be a bit loopy but that school has produced some fine people. My brother and wife included.

I knew there was something fishy about that n'er-do-well brother of yours...

picasso
1/29/2009, 01:43 PM
he's got two degrees from there Deano. but don't judge him, he likes beer, same as the rest of us.

achiro
1/29/2009, 01:49 PM

Oral comes from a different generation of preachers and whether you like him or not, calling him a charlatan shows some real ignorance of his positive historical effect on Christianity. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that he has led millions of people to Christ over the years. He has done more good than you or I will ever be able to...combined.;)

1/29/2009, 01:52 PM
http://www.theheckler.com/news/articlefiles/602-07-01-26-Redenbacher.jpg

Oh...

Never mind.

soonerscuba
1/29/2009, 02:45 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/boomersooner123/orupres.jpgIn WALL-E, there is a scene in which it shows all of the captains of the ship grow progressively fatter as the years go by, I appears as if Rush Limbaugh will eventually run ORU.

King Crimson
1/29/2009, 02:49 PM
goofy, TV haircuts are required for all university administrators. that, outrageous salaries, import sports cars, and short work weeks.