PDA

View Full Version : President to attend the Lady Bear vs. OU game tonight

columbuscreek
1/28/2009, 02:16 PM
That is the word out of Waco anyway.

I should say President Bush.

columbuscreek
1/28/2009, 05:04 PM
Apparently the President will be speaking to the Lady Bears before the game.

colleyvillesooner
1/28/2009, 07:49 PM
Doomed!

Readyfor8
1/28/2009, 08:18 PM
Jimmy Carter is going to Waco? or was that the ghost of Richard Nixon?

Jeopardude
1/28/2009, 08:57 PM
H.W. or W?

Sooner_75
1/28/2009, 08:59 PM
W

SoonerShark
1/28/2009, 10:04 PM
George's inspirational pre-game speech to the Baylor women helped our Sooner women pull out a 56-51 win.

WACO (AP) Former President George W. Bush attended the Baylor women's basketball game against Oklahoma on Wednesday in one of his first public appearances since returning to his Crawford ranch.

Bush and his wife, Laura, walked onto the court with Baylor coach Kim Mulkey after the former president addressed the team before the game. As soon as Bush and Mulkey emerged from the tunnel, without any introduction, the crowd stood and broke into loud applause.

The Bushes then took their seats in the first row behind the bench.

"This is our first outing since I left the presidency and I can't think of a better place," Bush said.

When the Bushes were introduced during the first timeout 4:03 into the game, somebody screamed "We love you, George Bush" and there was another loud ovation. He smiled and waved.

The Baylor campus is about 25 miles from the Bush ranch in Crawford, where the Bushes have been staying since last week when President Barack Obama took office.

When Baylor won the NCAA championship in 2005, Bush called Mulkey to congratulate the team and later hosted the Lady Bears at the White House.

"Most of all, I was excited to say hello to Kim. I got to know her when they won the national championship and came to the Oval Office," Bush said. "She is a dynamic person. She's really one of the country's great coaches."

SoonerShark
1/28/2009, 10:06 PM
W roots for UT against us in football and for BU against us in basketball? Cool.

Doged
1/28/2009, 11:13 PM
Maybe that visit is what led to ESPN's gaff....

(2) Oklahoma 56, (3) Baylor 51
Recap Box Score Play-By-Play GameCast Photos Conversation
1 2 T
#2 OKLA (17-2) 22 34 56
#3 BU (17-2) 23 28 51
Final
8:00 PM ET, January 28, 2009
Paris sisters post pair of double-doubles to fuel Cowgirls :confused:

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2009, 12:05 AM
W roots for UT against us in football and for BU against us in basketball? Cool.

Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with you. Bush has been to several Baylor events, he used Baylor to host an economic summit of his a few years ago, and there was agreement between the White House and Baylor that allowed his Secret Service detail to use our facilities. Bush and Baylor have deep roots.

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 01:24 AM
The correct honorific for George W. Bush is "Governor", not President or even Former President.

When President Obama leaves office, the correct honorific will be Senator.

Senator George H.W. Bush
Governors Carter, Clinton, Ford.

There is only one president.

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 01:25 AM
Ms. Manners covered this like last week. :D

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2009, 04:17 AM
The correct honorific for George W. Bush is "Governor", not President or even Former President.

Senator George H.W. Bush

Are you sure? I was almost positive that former Presidents continue to be referred to as Mr. President even after the leave office. Hell, at the inauguration the former Presidents were referred to as, "President Carter, President Bush, and President Clinton."

badger
1/29/2009, 06:09 AM
Blah blah Baylor blah blah Mulkey blah blah bear claw

Much like Bush's tenure, things looked strong early-on for Baylor, but an eminent loss at home and abroad when stacked against a formidable foe, there's no chance of coming out a winner, especially when your term limit to Big 12 dominance ended years ago.

OU is the economy to your President/Governor Bush.
OU is the unpredictable gas prices to your President/Governor Bush.
OU is the Democrat takeover of the House, Senate and presidency to your President/Governor Bush.

:D So anyways, before you get too proud or happy of your Lady Bears having the president... we are the bane to your Bush hosting. Oh, and are now also the only Big 12 team that remains undefeated in conference play at 6-0. The men aren't doing too poorly in-conference either... if "too poorly" refers to conference losses, because we have none! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Boomer Mooner
1/29/2009, 08:12 AM

Senator George H.W. Bush

As long as we are splitting hairs, Senator is the only honorific that stays with an elected official. So H.W. is now Senator Bush, W. is Mr. Bush and Carter is still that pathetic, sad ol' ****er campaigning for the Nobel every year.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Business-Etiquette-2294/2008/11/Honorific-appropriate-former-USA.htm

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 09:13 AM
You sayin' Judith Martin is wrong?

Boomer Mooner
1/29/2009, 10:05 AM
You sayin' Judith Martin is wrong?

Not at all, that would be a display of bad manners. I really don't know what her credentials are to merit her status as the know all end all to all things proper; she does appears to have a stick up her *** most of the time.:D

However, the rules I stated are those agreed upon by the Vienna World Congress and hardly ever change. I do expect they will make some type of accommodation when President Obama is replaced.

oumartin
1/29/2009, 10:51 AM
Bush was also overhead by the secret microphone police sayin' that Kim Mulkey had a firmer handshake and bigger hands than Obama

C&CDean
1/29/2009, 11:21 AM
He might have sat behind Mulkey the Mouse, but he was checking out Sherrie's A all night long.

picasso
1/29/2009, 01:20 PM
I've always heard former presidents referred to as president.

King Crimson
1/29/2009, 01:29 PM
he'll be pulling for SMU here pert' quick since they are going to house his library....his athletics on national TV, smile and wave ops will be sharply curtailed, however.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/29/2009, 01:39 PM
he was checking out Sherrie's A all night long.

So was his real reason for being at the game this, or whatever the hell sicem was droning on about?

Boomer Mooner
1/29/2009, 01:49 PM
I've always heard former presidents referred to as president.

Me too. That's why I did a google search and found all that crap about the Vienna World Congress making the rules, etc. Somebody has to make sure Ms. Manners knows her ****.:cool:

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/29/2009, 02:47 PM
H.W. was never a Senator. His daddy Prescott Bush was, but not him.

I Am Right
1/29/2009, 06:19 PM
I enjoyed seeing President Bush at the game last night. What I did not like was the idiot announcer saying "After President Bush lost to Obama in November" I did not think Bush ran, I thought it was McCain.

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 06:39 PM
H.W. was never a Senator. His daddy Prescott Bush was, but not him.

My fault. Either Lieutenant Bush or Representative Bush.

SoonerShark
1/29/2009, 07:52 PM
Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with you. Bush has been to several Baylor events, he used Baylor to host an economic summit of his a few years ago, and there was agreement between the White House and Baylor that allowed his Secret Service detail to use our facilities. Bush and Baylor have deep roots.

I didn't truly believe he is against OU. He does not have the requisite mental intent to be against anything. I was not a President Bush fan and many families are without members today because of he and his handler, former-VP Dick Les Cheney; however, I wish him well in retirement.

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 07:56 PM
OK, now that we have bipartisan inappropriate political bickering in a thread on the basketball board, I'm locking this.