PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Sampson appealing

ouleaf
1/28/2009, 11:50 AM
I'm soooo glad this guy is gone from our program. He's not quite an afterthought yet, but a solid run by Capel and his staff in the tourney this year and Kelvin will become more and more removed from Sooner recordbooks and history.

What does he really gain by appealing? You are only reminding people of what you did. You're never going to get a high profile job again at the college level. Stick to the NBA and maybe you'll get a shot with with one of the cellar dwellers a few years down the road by some idiot GM and you can go blow up their program too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3863881

Former Indiana basketball coach Kelvin Sampson has appealed his discipline by the NCAA, The Indianapolis Star reported.

Sampson resigned as the Hoosiers' coach late in the 2007-08 season after the program was accused of major NCAA violations. In November, the NCAA, which found Sampson had committed two major violations, slapped him with a five-year show cause penalty -- meaning that if he applies for another job in the next five years, the school hiring him must appear before the NCAA and show why it should not be subject to penalties.

Indiana was accused of major NCAA violations stemming from more than 100 impermissible phone calls to recruits by Sampson and his assistants during his first season at the helm. Sampson resigned under pressure last February after accepting a $750,000 buyout.

A source close to Sampson, now an assistant coach with the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks, said his appeal will be based on two points, according to the Star.

The first point of appeal claims that the NCAA infractions committee misinterpreted testimony by former Indiana assistant Rob Senderoff, leading it to conclude that Sampson knowingly placed impermissible recruiting phone calls, according to the report. The second point of appeal claims the NCAA's enforcement staff was biased and indicated an assumption of guilt by requesting a hearing before all of its interviews were complete.

While the NCAA infractions committee found Indiana had failed to adequately monitor its basketball program, it also accepted the school's self-imposed discipline without adding additional punishment.

Sampson's attorney, Michael Glazier, declined comment on the appeal. the Star reported. NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn said under the body's policy, it does not comment on an appeal until the case is resolved.

badger
1/28/2009, 12:09 PM
"the school hiring him must appear before the NCAA and show why it should not be subject to penalties. "

So, if KS wants a job...

1- The program must be desperate to win more, and

2- It must be squeaky-clean.

Sorry, but squeaky-clean programs are never Kelvin Sampson-desperate. If they were THAT desperate, they wouldn't be squeaky-clean.

;) No wonder KS is appealing. It's like he knows he's gonna be stuck in Milwaukee for five years otherwise, because there's no program that can afford to take a chance of him!

ouleaf
1/28/2009, 12:21 PM
On a some-what related note....I guess Kellen Sampson is a GA or something. Noticed him for the first time on the end of the bench in a suit. Anybody know what he is getting his graduate degree in? I'll bet it's MS HF&CB which stands for High Fives and Chest Bumps as the team comes back to the bench during timeouts.

In all seriousness though, if he is getting an advanced degree then more power too him....Despite you're father being a complete moron, you were a good kid and a true Sooner even if you probably weren't good enough to be on our roster.

Grimey
1/28/2009, 05:45 PM
He's not very appealing to me.

Kellen's cool though

Frozen Sooner
1/28/2009, 06:23 PM
Taking potshots at Kellen is pretty uncalled for. The kid was a walk-on-it's not as if he was taking a spot from someone else. Not only that, but he busted his butt for OU even after his dad left and was getting eviscerated by OU fans.

And I guarantee someone will hire Kelvin if the show-cause penalty gets thrown out.

badger
1/28/2009, 09:20 PM
Taking potshots at Kellen is pretty uncalled for. The kid was a walk-on-it's not as if he was taking a spot from someone else. Not only that, but he busted his butt for OU even after his dad left and was getting eviscerated by OU fans.

+1. Kellen was a good kid who worked hard, something you look for in a walk-on regardless of what your last name is.

And I guarantee someone will hire Kelvin if the show-cause penalty gets thrown out.
-1. It's not gonna happen. KS is going to have to sit on the Bucks coaching staff for a few more years... and I know that can be depressing with Redd out, but just suck it up and make your big salary, tough guy.

Scott D
1/28/2009, 09:29 PM
Why is this even a thread? As far as ESPN is concerned the guy never coached at Oklahoma or Washington State...he's just "Former Indiana Coach". Let the Hoosiers worry about him.

mikeelikee
1/28/2009, 10:56 PM
On another board, somebody started a thread by referring to him as Cellvin Sampson. Pretty funny, if you ask me!! :D

ouleaf
1/29/2009, 02:49 AM

I know he was a good kid. Worked his butt off, and from the looks of it is still doing so today for us in some capacity. Yes he was a walk-on but he still took up a roster spot that probably could have been used for someone that could contribute on the floor a little more than he did. I'm just saying that if his father weren't the head coach he probably wouldn't have made the cut here walk-on or scholarship player. That's just what I saw playing-wise from him when he did get in the game.

With all that said though, I'm positive he could whip me all day in one-on-one and if he were never to have come to OU, I'm sure some school would have picked him up to play for him. I just don't think it would be at a school in one of the major conferences.

LoyalFan
1/30/2009, 08:54 PM
He's not very appealing to me.

Yeth. I was thinking the thame thing. Maybe if he did thomething with the hair, lotht thome weight, and wore brighter colorth. A little time at the tanning thalon might...never mind.

Yves St. Fruitpie
Fashion Gestapo Division
NCAA

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2009, 09:10 PM
I know he was a good kid. Worked his butt off, and from the looks of it is still doing so today for us in some capacity. Yes he was a walk-on but he still took up a roster spot that probably could have been used for someone that could contribute on the floor a little more than he did. I'm just saying that if his father weren't the head coach he probably wouldn't have made the cut here walk-on or scholarship player. That's just what I saw playing-wise from him when he did get in the game.

With all that said though, I'm positive he could whip me all day in one-on-one and if he were never to have come to OU, I'm sure some school would have picked him up to play for him. I just don't think it would be at a school in one of the major conferences.

What "roster spot?"

He was a walk on. You can have as many walk ons running around as you want. As for contributing on the floor-dude, if you're giving walk-ons significant run during games where you're counting on them to produce, your program has some serious problems.

stoopified
1/30/2009, 10:55 PM
hope the NCAA reconsiders their position,then hits him with a TEN YEAR BAN.I loved what the guy preached about hard work,honesty,and integrity.It was a shame it was a DECEPTION.Calvin has shown his true colors,and should pay the price.

the_ouskull
1/30/2009, 11:33 PM
I was going to let your first post slide because I'm getting more mellow in my old age. Then I read this bag of sh*t:

On a some-what related note....I guess Kellen Sampson is a GA or something. Noticed him for the first time on the end of the bench in a suit. Anybody know what he is getting his graduate degree in? I'll bet it's MS HF&CB which stands for High Fives and Chest Bumps as the team comes back to the bench during timeouts.

In all seriousness though, if he is getting an advanced degree then more power too him....Despite you're father being a complete moron, you were a good kid and a true Sooner even if you probably weren't good enough to be on our roster.

First of all, if you're going to call someone a complete moron, you probably shouldn't do it in the same sentence in which you incorrectly use the word your. I mean, that is, unless you MEANT to say, "Despite you are father being a complete moron..." However, I'm assuming that you didn't mean that because that would make you look like a, and I'm quoting, "complete moron."

Second, since when is ANY walk on good enough to "be on our roster?" What are you kid, 18, 19?

"I remember my first basketball take." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCpjYUdN2rs)

Sin,
ouleaf

People who walk on are on the team to do two things: 1) Bust their *sses every day in practice, doing whatever they have to in order to get the team ready to play; and then get themselves ready to play on the very, VERY limited chance that the opportunity will actually arise for that to happen. 2) Contribute, WELL, to the team's G.P.A. Kellen did both of those things as an undergrad, and I have no reason to doubt that he will continue to do so in the future.

And, considering I just read a PM asking me to take it easy on you (which is fairly hilarious if you know the whole story) I'll just leave off with...

Unless you know what you're talking about, just think first, man. I know that the anonymity of the internet is part of the appeal of it. Imagine how hard it is for *ssholes like me! I blather on and on around these boards, and STILL meet people. Just know that, if you talk out of one side of your *ss, that only leaves you with one more side to crap out of. Don't get them mixed up.

Really great MSHFCB joke though. (Where's that rolleyes emoticon? D*mn it!)

http://www.deejayphoto.com/files/Rodney_Dangerfield.JPG

Tough crowd, tough crowd. If you have any relatives on the board, maybe THEY laughed...

If you're going to stick around, new guy, you have to learn how to play by the rules. There's a greeeeeeeeeat big Kelvin Sampson thread on this very basketball board on which you could have presented your opinion. I mean, it's like, two pages or something...

(What? This isn't the football board. There aren't as many bandwagon fans over here, and we don't generally get the same amount of foot traffic. Sorry. Gosh!)

Anyway, I forgot what I was talking about, but it involved your last take, so it couldn't have been painfully important. Goodnight, all.

the_ouskull

Collier11
1/30/2009, 11:39 PM
Agreed skull, but come on man...I was an English major for a while and I dont go around correcting grammar all the time, you could come up with a better comeback couldnt you have? Wait, maybe thats why I switched from English to another major, but I got my degree so suck it <-----see, a real put down ;)

the_ouskull
1/31/2009, 07:56 PM
Agreed skull, but come on man...I was an English major for a while and I dont go around correcting grammar all the time, you could come up with a better comeback couldnt you have? Wait, maybe thats why I switched from English to another major, but I got my degree so suck it <-----see, a real put down ;)

I only minored in English... and it was English Lit. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm over, or under-educated, but I know that I'm underpaid. If I'm going to have to babysit a bunch of mouth-breathers all day long, I want what their babysitters would make. $5/hour/kid. In an average class size of, oh, let's water it down and say 15, for five periods a day, (I also coach) that's 75 kids in a day. 75 times $5.00/hour.

It comes out to about $75,000/year. Which, for teachers that actually give a sh*t, is worth it (which is why I have so many vastly opposed ideas regarding the area of teacher certification and the maintenance of their credentials) but, for the majority of teachers, amount to robbery. And, for purposes of that, I only figured it with a 9-month work year. (It's really 10, but what the Hell, right?) Also, I figured it, for those small-town teachers that Oklahoma has so many of, for an average classroom size of 10, and it's still pretty nice in relative comparison to what I'm currently "raking in."

Sorry about venting there... I've been down on my chosen profession a bit lately. 6 day work weeks and 12 hour work days will do that to you almost every time when you get bored and figure out what you're making an hour. "Hey, teachers... Go out there and try to provide the finest young minds that you can for our future. Ready? Break!" Isn't going to continue to cut it. Eventually, people are going to have to pay, or they're going to have to continue to watch the educational system in this country go down the sh*tter. I mean, they hired ME, fagodssakes... That ought to say it all right there, right?

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
1/31/2009, 08:00 PM
Did I just kill this thread?

the_ouskull

oumartin
1/31/2009, 08:35 PM
tends to happen when you post.

birddog
1/31/2009, 09:18 PM
skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts.

the_ouskull
2/1/2009, 12:29 PM
tends to happen when you post.

Well sure, when I come up behind someone like yourself with one of these:

http://www.fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/pooper-scooper.jpg

...there's usually no trace left behind. But, that doesn't mean that I don't welcome intelligent conversation beyond that point.

the_ouskull

ouleaf
2/1/2009, 03:11 PM
appreciate you setting me straight, Skull. my life can continue now.

StoopTroup
2/1/2009, 03:14 PM
I only minored in English... and it was English Lit. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm over, or under-educated, but I know that I'm underpaid. If I'm going to have to babysit a bunch of mouth-breathers all day long, I want what their babysitters would make. $5/hour/kid. In an average class size of, oh, let's water it down and say 15, for five periods a day, (I also coach) that's 75 kids in a day. 75 times $5.00/hour.

It comes out to about $75,000/year. Which, for teachers that actually give a sh*t, is worth it (which is why I have so many vastly opposed ideas regarding the area of teacher certification and the maintenance of their credentials) but, for the majority of teachers, amount to robbery. And, for purposes of that, I only figured it with a 9-month work year. (It's really 10, but what the Hell, right?) Also, I figured it, for those small-town teachers that Oklahoma has so many of, for an average classroom size of 10, and it's still pretty nice in relative comparison to what I'm currently "raking in."

Sorry about venting there... I've been down on my chosen profession a bit lately. 6 day work weeks and 12 hour work days will do that to you almost every time when you get bored and figure out what you're making an hour. "Hey, teachers... Go out there and try to provide the finest young minds that you can for our future. Ready? Break!" Isn't going to continue to cut it. Eventually, people are going to have to pay, or they're going to have to continue to watch the educational system in this country go down the sh*tter. I mean, they hired ME, fagodssakes... That ought to say it all right there, right?

the_ouskull

After reading that...I think that's more of a math problem.