PDA

View Full Version : How well do you know your 88 Sooners?

Grimey
1/28/2009, 12:36 AM
See how many guys you can name in this video without going over to SoonerStats.

Goin to Kansas City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1gm7IoGfQI&NR=1)

Man, good times. At least, until the game:(

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2009, 12:50 AM
Stacy King
Harvey Grant
Mookie Blaylock
Dave Seiger (sp?)
Andre Wiley

I was in the 9th grade then...so these guys were my "heros" on the Bball court!

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2009, 12:55 AM
Cannot forget about Terrence Mullins either.

Soonerus
1/28/2009, 01:06 AM
duh...

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2009, 01:10 AM
duh...

Don't you make me....:pop:

Jeopardude
1/28/2009, 08:47 AM
Here's a shirt my friend got Darvin Ham's company to do. Seemed appropriate here: Link (http://32049.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Article/Index/article/1987-1988-Oklahoma-Sooners-3324700)

Sooner04
1/28/2009, 09:58 AM
Tony "The Hawk" Martin singing the duet with Stacey.
Terrence Mullins and Tyrone Jones doing the "hey hey hey hey" bit.
Dave Sieger and Andre "The Creator" Wiley doing the "ooooooo" part.
Art Pollard asking, "hey, baby, what's been wrong with you?".

They didn't give a speaking job to Jason "Ski" Skurcenski. For shame.

jkjsooner
1/28/2009, 10:10 AM
Stacy King
Harvey Grant
Mookie Blaylock
Dave Seiger (sp?)
Andre Wiley

I was in the 9th grade then...so these guys were my "heros" on the Bball court!

I think Ricky Grace was a starter instead of Wiley.

jkjsooner
1/28/2009, 10:16 AM
I liked the '88 team but I'm kinda partial to the '90 team since I was a Frosh in college that year. That's kind of the forgotten team. We beat the national champ UNLV. We beat #1 Kansas and #1 Missouri in a 3 day stretch. Finished the season ranked #1 but upset by UNC in the second round.

William Davis
Skeeter Henry
Smokie McCovery
Jackie Jones
Damon Patterson

The thing is, without academic problems four of those five guys return and we add a much improved Jeff Webster and Brent Price.... What could have been.....

Still can't believe Jones never made it in the NBA...

King Crimson
1/28/2009, 11:15 AM
too bad we weren't going someplace OTHER than Kansas City.

8timechamps
1/28/2009, 12:47 PM
That just reminds me of how much I loved watching that team play. Is it me, or does Hawk look like he's about 35 years old?

Salt City Sooner
1/28/2009, 02:14 PM
I took a couple of classes with TJ when he was up here. I ALMOST think he went to OU just to shut me up....:D

OUmillenium
1/28/2009, 03:12 PM
I'll name the whole team without looking at the video or the thread...
Ricky "Amazing" Grace PG #14?
Darron "Mookie" Blaylock G #10
David Sieger F
Harvey "General" Grant F #25
Stacy "Sky" King C #33
Terrence Mullins G
Andre "Creator" Wiley F #32
Mike "Helicopter" Bell F
Tyrone Jones F #22
Tony "Hawk" Martin F
Art Pollard G #20
Jason "Ski" Skurcenski G

Guys who were prop 48 or signed but never played
Vladimir McCrary
Lance Kroll

OU1988
2/2/2009, 10:35 PM
Mullins' nickname was "T-Love"

OU1988
2/2/2009, 10:38 PM
For some reason, Wiley hardly played in the championship game.

fadada1
2/2/2009, 10:39 PM
I liked the '88 team but I'm kinda partial to the '90 team since I was a Frosh in college that year. That's kind of the forgotten team. We beat the national champ UNLV. We beat #1 Kansas and #1 Missouri in a 3 day stretch. Finished the season ranked #1 but upset by UNC in the second round.

William Davis
Skeeter Henry
Smokie McCovery
Jackie Jones
Damon Patterson

The thing is, without academic problems four of those five guys return and we add a much improved Jeff Webster and Brent Price.... What could have been.....

was a frosh that year as well. the KU and MU games are still the loudest EVENTS i've ever been to - including concerts. they didn't beat flight ops on the USS Enterprise, but it was close.:D

my voice was wrecked for 2 weeks.

edit: don't forget about terry evans

mobilesteve
2/3/2009, 01:44 PM
I'll name the whole team without looking at the video or the thread...
Ricky "Amazing" Grace PG #14?
Darron "Mookie" Blaylock G #10
David Sieger F
Harvey "General" Grant F #25
Stacy "Sky" King C #33
Terrence Mullins G
Andre "Creator" Wiley F #32
Mike "Helicopter" Bell F
Tyrone Jones F #22
Tony "Hawk" Martin F
Art Pollard G #20
Jason "Ski" Skurcenski G

Guys who were prop 48 or signed but never played
Vladimir McCrary
Lance Kroll

Seiger was "The Soul Man"

Pricetag
2/3/2009, 01:47 PM
That just reminds me of how much I loved watching that team play. Is it me, or does Hawk look like he's about 35 years old?
Heh, I get the same effect when watching the '86 Orange Bowl DVD. I don't know if it was because I was a kid back when I first saw all them, but the football players all look so much older than they were. Even the cheerleaders do.

SoonerJack
2/3/2009, 02:01 PM
Man, Stacey King was money in the low post. I followed that 88 team pretty much from day 1 and remember waking up the morning after the championship game with that icy ball feeling in my gut. ugh. So close.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
2/3/2009, 04:26 PM

William Davis
Skeeter Henry
Smokie McCovery
Jackie Jones
Damon Patterson

Didn't Skeeter Henry go on to play in the CBA? Seems like I remember him coming to Tulsa to play

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
2/3/2009, 04:49 PM
I remember Mookie was so quick he could take the ball from you and be down on the other end of the court before you would even knew the ball was gone

the_ouskull
2/3/2009, 05:10 PM
Without looking it up, I'd say "yes" to the "did Skeeter Henry play professionally" question. Like maybe a 10-day contract with a pro team or something? I know he wasn't drafted.

the_ouskull

Pricetag
2/3/2009, 05:40 PM
Didn't Skeeter Henry go on to play in the CBA? Seems like I remember him coming to Tulsa to play
I think he played for the Yakima Sun Kings, didn't he? I remember a buddy of mine got his autograph on the back of his Fast Breakers ticket stub at one of their games.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
2/3/2009, 09:12 PM
I remember going to a Fast Breakers game and the dude sitting in front of me kept yelling "What kind of name is SKEETER?" Don't ask why I remember that but I do. I think it was the fact that he played for OU and I knew who he was.

OU1988
2/3/2009, 11:36 PM
Yes, I can't remember who Skeeter played for, but I saw him play against the OKC CBA team.

thesnowbishop
2/4/2009, 12:25 AM
Who were the assistant coaches for the '88 team?

stoopified
2/4/2009, 11:23 AM
Who were the assistant coaches for the '88 team?Mke Mims,Mike Anderson....maybe Jim Kerwin was still there?

OUmillenium
2/5/2009, 02:01 PM
and former Weatherford H.S. coach Allen Boyd was a grad ast.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2009, 04:06 PM
Dave Seiger and I were Ph.D. students in IE at OU.

Last I knew he was faculty at Univ. of Chicago or U. Illinios Chicago, something like that...