PDA

View Full Version : Willie Warren?

soonerfan28
1/27/2009, 01:43 PM
Is he hitting that feshman wall that players have talked about and I remember Crocker talking about before the season? His level of play over the last couple of games has seemed to level out if not slump a bit. I think he's still a huge asset and it's not a knock on him at all.

RonMexico7
1/27/2009, 01:52 PM
He went 6/8 for 17 points against Baylor on Saturday. I agree he didn't really seem to get it going at osu, but I think its a little too early to start to worry about a freshman wall. I would attribute it to difficulty on the road (subpar games in last three road games @osu, @aTm, @KSu). However, he was superb in back to back road games @Ark and @Rice. Saturday's game @isu could be telling.

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 02:17 PM
Blake is the 1st option, AJ had it going against the Pokes, Willie is playing within the system, nothing wrong with that.

RonMexico7
1/27/2009, 02:21 PM
"Coach Capel and Coach Taliaferro talked to me and said they didn’t recruit me to be a role player. They told me to just go out there and play my game."

- Willie Warren in an interview following the Baylor game

ouleaf
1/27/2009, 02:49 PM
I don't think we are really taking advantage of Willie's strengths IMO. I know the offense is geared to run through Blake, as it should be, but I'd like to see us run a few more plays for Willie when he is in there. I think he'd be devastating if we could develop a solid two man game with him and Blake. Just think of all the possibilites that could open up on the offensive end with him and Blake running the high pick and roll.

If they show zone, Willie can kick it out to an open AJ/Crocker/Davis on the wing. If they stick to man, Willie has the slashing ability to get to the rim. Or heaven help them if the switch and leave a guard on Blake. Blake can back him down all the way to the rim.

I'd definitely like to see Capel employee more of this into the offense. It would definitely get Willie more involved out there, and I think from what I've seen, he is more than capable of handling it.

King Crimson
1/27/2009, 03:25 PM
foul trouble more than anything last night.

CrimsonJim
1/27/2009, 03:42 PM
foul trouble more than anything last night.

Definitely - agreed.

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 04:07 PM
I think at times, Willie is struggling to find his role. He is the best frosh in the land.

I am afraid he won't be in Norman long.

birddog
1/27/2009, 04:14 PM
seems like players his size that go pro after their frosh year make more of a difference than ww is right now. he has big time skills but young players don't always play with consistency.

tommieharris91
1/27/2009, 04:35 PM
This will be Willie's team if he stays around next season. I'm not worried.

cheezyq
1/27/2009, 04:53 PM
Willie flat-out said he'll be back next season, so nothing to worry about this year, or probably next year either.

And there's nothing wrong with Willie. He has a finger on exactly what the team needs and when. He broke a defender down with a sweet move and hit a nice little floater during a stretch where we were trying to recover from an aggie run. I think he also knew that AJ and BG were on their game in the 2nd half. If it weren't for foul trouble, he probably would have had a really nice outing.

I'd like to see fewer fouls from him, but this is the Big 12 after all. What other college basketball conference is there where the guards routinely end up nearly fouling out? It's absurd, really.

josh09
1/27/2009, 05:47 PM
Is he hitting that feshman wall that players have talked about and I remember Crocker talking about before the season? His level of play over the last couple of games has seemed to level out if not slump a bit. I think he's still a huge asset and it's not a knock on him at all.

I dont think he's necessarily in a slump right now, it just looks like hes playing in the system.

starrca23
1/27/2009, 06:52 PM
He's fine, hard to dominate when you don't touch the ball that much and he didn't last night, Blake takes touches away (and should), AJ on fire, and foul trouble, add in Patillo's defensive effort. He only played 25 min and took 8 shots and still had 12 points.

soonerfan28
2/1/2009, 01:24 PM
Just wanted to say that with his stats on the road at Iowa State that he ran right through that imaginary wall I was asking about. My bad and I'll take all the spek coming my way.
29 points 6 rebounds and 4 assists, 6/6 from FT and 50% from 3 point. Also he had 1 hell of a dunk.

StoopTroup
2/1/2009, 04:06 PM
TOMAHAWK WILLIE WARREN ! ! !

5a_wW6Zf0Qk

soonerfan28
2/1/2009, 04:15 PM
Xavier Henry had some nutz in his face.

StoopTroup
2/1/2009, 04:23 PM
Before it's all over...they will all have Willie in their face! :D

badger
2/2/2009, 10:31 AM
Awww, they gave Willie a T for that? They're just jealous refs cuz they could never dunk like that themselves from their days riding the bench :rolleyes:

NormanPride
2/2/2009, 11:13 AM
It is very rare to have a freshman come in and fit in the system so well. He's not a role player, he's a legit cog in the team just like everyone else. He has his games where he matches up well, and he has his games where he just adds some oomph to the offense of the other players. He's showing maturity and poise that veterans in the NBA don't have. Some people never learn it.