PDA

View Full Version : Online dating...ghey?

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 01:33 PM
I have a friend that has been doing the online dating thing (eHarmony, etc.) for a few years. When he first started, I would give him crap (along with every other friend he has). “Online dating is for weird-os and losers” I would say.

It was fun to pick on him at first. Then, the dude starts showing up everywhere with different women. And, the kicker was that some of them were pretty damn cute. At that point, it wasn’t as funny.

Then, when some of us (mostly me) were out without a [The Ladies Man] lady [/The Ladies Man], and he would stroll in with the Girlfriend de jour, it wasn’t funny at all.

Today, I find out that he’s engaged and planning to be married in the spring. Personally, I’ve had my run at marriage, and I wasn’t any good at it, but his fiancé is actually a great girl.

I’ve never used an online dating service (or an off line one for that matter). I’ve either met a girl and we hit it off and dated, or I’ve just been single.

Online dating seems so sketchy to me. Granted I don’t really go to “the bar” anymore, and most of the women I meet are through business or have a kid playing on the same team my kid plays on (wouldn’t recommend playing that game…if things don’t work out, you’re stuck with that person until the season is over).

The girl I am currently dating is from Louisiana, and is the perfect ‘don’t-crowd-me’ girl. She thinks online dating is just how things are done now….I still think they’re sketchy. Maybe I’m in the minority…so I have come to the highly respectable people of the SO for some data gathering.

So, the question is “Are online dating services ghey?”. Also, if you have a funny/terrorizing story from an online dating experience….please share.

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 01:39 PM
I have a lot of left-coasters that use the innerweb dating. Some have worked and some have not. I believe it is a crap shoot either way.

Veritas
1/27/2009, 02:12 PM
I don't believe it's as dorkorific as it was a few years ago. I went out with three girls from match.com back in 99/00 and two of them were extremely attractive. One...not so much.

Boomer Mooner
1/27/2009, 02:22 PM
Not ghey unless your date shows up with an adams apple.

soonervegas
1/27/2009, 02:32 PM
It is my understanding (From friends....seriously) that the online sites are actually more beneficial to the men then the women. So if you are a dude......go for it.

Viking Kitten
1/27/2009, 02:32 PM
My brother met my SIL on match.com. She is terrific and they are great for each other. They have been together eight yeart and married six. There are going to be winners and losers in any dating venue...why close yourself off to any particular one?

Beef
1/27/2009, 02:37 PM
I tried match.com a few years ago and the chicks I met were no more or less flaky or incompatible than broads I met at bars.

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 03:48 PM
My brother met my SIL on match.com. She is terrific and they are great for each other. They have been together eight yeart and married six. There are going to be winners and losers in any dating venue...why close yourself off to any particular one?

I didn't even know those sites had been around that long.

tbl
1/27/2009, 03:58 PM
I've been married for 11 years to my high school GF, so I'm WAY out of the dating scene... Still, I can't imagine it's a bad way to meet people and the desperation/loser stigma seems to have gone away from it (as it should). Once you get to a certain point in life, the choices become significantly fewer. If I were single now, I'd have very limited options as my only life is work (and I office out of the home, so that kills that), Church (I go to a relatively small Church with very few single women), and then the inevitable "friend" connection. I think the online dating would probably be the best avenue for finding somebody that is compatible...

TUSooner
1/27/2009, 04:04 PM
Online dating service - probably useful;
Asking the SO - definitely dangerous.

YWIA

TUSooner
1/27/2009, 04:07 PM
I met my wife at college, so I don't recommend that.

<badump-bum, crasssshh>

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 04:09 PM
Online dating service - probably useful;
Asking the SO - definitely dangerous.

YWIA

That's why I made it a point to discuss my current gf.

Oh wait, did you mean "asking the SO to set someone up with a girl=dangerous"? ;)

TUSooner
1/27/2009, 04:14 PM
Oh wait, did you mean "asking the SO to set someone up with a girl=dangerous"? ;)
No, THAT would be more like "suicidal." :D

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 04:25 PM
:D :D

OUHOMER
1/27/2009, 04:34 PM
how old are you? I have a daughter who needs to get hitched.

MojoRisen
1/27/2009, 04:36 PM
Ok maybe this is a reflection on me, but I did pick out a girl on eharmony. I must admit she was pretty cool and more freaky than any other woman I have met too date - and the crowd I run around with that is pretty impressive. I have nothing but positive to say about the ability to get matched up shoot off a few jokes and see if a beer or cup of coffee are in order.

You increase your numbers like no tomorrow... Most woman work these days too so - the bar sceene can be hit or miss, and I was never serious enough to pick up on a nice girl from church..

LosAngelesSooner
1/27/2009, 04:38 PM
I know a lot of people who use the web to meet dates.

It's REALLY good if you're trying to just sleep with as many people as humanly possible.

It's okay if you're trying to find a good person to date for the long term, but you'll have to sift through a lot of no-goes. Just like "real dating."

If you've got the patience, I recommend it. I also recommend using a CURRENT photo, describing yourself realistically, and realizing that you AREN'T the hot stud you were in college anymore, so if you do it, be honest with yourself and with others. You'll waste less time and have more actual success.

I also recommend you realize that just because YOU'RE being honest, doesn't mean that all the ladies will be honest and use current photos. ;)

Good luck.

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 04:48 PM

Is she hawt? ;) :D

OUHOMER
1/27/2009, 04:51 PM
Is she hawt? ;) :D

Hell yes, She's my daughter.

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 04:57 PM
Hell yes, its my daughter.

:)

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 05:06 PM
Careful now.....this seems to be going somewhere to nowhere fast :D

KC//CRIMSON
1/27/2009, 05:06 PM
It's REALLY good if you're trying to just sleep with as many people as humanly possible.

I can vouch for this......back in the day that is....

LosAngelesSooner
1/27/2009, 05:34 PM
Hell yes, SHE'S my daughter.Fixed out of familial respect. ;)

mikeelikee
1/27/2009, 05:34 PM

Homer, how old is your daughter? My son is 26, is an OU graduate, and lives in Tulsa. :D

And by the way, his mother and I own a black pug that looks a lot like the one in your avatar!

OUHOMER
1/27/2009, 06:06 PM
Homer, how old is your daughter? My son is 26, is an OU graduate, and lives in Tulsa. :D

And by the way, his mother and I own a black pug that looks a lot like the one in your avatar!

Will, she a little older, maybe 30 ;)

The pug is Moe, hes my boy. great dog

Frozen Sooner
1/27/2009, 06:11 PM
I have a friend that has been doing the online dating thing (eHarmony, etc.) for a few years. When he first started, I would give him crap (along with every other friend he has). “Online dating is for weird-os and losers” I would say.

It was fun to pick on him at first. Then, the dude starts showing up everywhere with different women. And, the kicker was that some of them were pretty damn cute. At that point, it wasn’t as funny.

Then, when some of us (mostly me) were out without a [The Ladies Man] lady [/The Ladies Man], and he would stroll in with the Girlfriend de jour, it wasn’t funny at all.

Today, I find out that he’s engaged and planning to be married in the spring. Personally, I’ve had my run at marriage, and I wasn’t any good at it, but his fiancé is actually a great girl.

I’ve never used an online dating service (or an off line one for that matter). I’ve either met a girl and we hit it off and dated, or I’ve just been single.

Online dating seems so sketchy to me. Granted I don’t really go to “the bar” anymore, and most of the women I meet are through business or have a kid playing on the same team my kid plays on (wouldn’t recommend playing that game…if things don’t work out, you’re stuck with that person until the season is over).

The girl I am currently dating is from Louisiana, and is the perfect ‘don’t-crowd-me’ girl. She thinks online dating is just how things are done now….I still think they’re sketchy. Maybe I’m in the minority…so I have come to the highly respectable people of the SO for some data gathering.

So, the question is “Are online dating services ghey?”. Also, if you have a funny/terrorizing story from an online dating experience….please share.

Done it a couple of times. For a period of a few months, it was like having hot and cold running *** plumbed in to the house.

royalfan5
1/27/2009, 07:10 PM
It's busted slumps for me.

SoonerStormchaser
1/27/2009, 07:17 PM
When I was a freshman at OU...I actually PAID for both eHarmony and match.com because I thought the pickins weren't too good on campus (the hawt ones were either sorority sluts or smoked). I filled out both surveys...set the parameters to anyone who was a close match between 18 and 30...nothing. Ok...what about 18-35? Nothing. 18-40? Nothing.

...and now my wife and I have been married two years to the day...all without teh internets! I guess I should start up eNursingHome.com ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/27/2009, 07:20 PM
When I was a freshman at OU...the hawt ones were either sorority sluts or smoked.

1. You're about to get an ankle-kicking from Lil.

2. Yeah, I can see why you were having trouble getting dates.

OU4LIFE
1/27/2009, 07:37 PM
Not ghey unless your date shows up with an adams apple.

but that is exactly what he's looking for...

LilSooner
1/27/2009, 07:53 PM
1. You're about to get an ankle-kicking from Lil.

2. Yeah, I can see why you were having trouble getting dates.

1. heh

I kindof agree about there being slim picking on campus at least when I was there. I went through all the frat houses nope, nothing, nadda, couldn't find anyone I even remotely liked in my college. It took me going to freaking bingo night at the vista to meet that bald head, hairy legged boy I ended up with.

So I suggest bingo.

LosAngelesSooner
1/27/2009, 08:01 PM
Plus, when you FIND him/her you can yell out BINGO! :D

mikeelikee
1/27/2009, 08:11 PM
Will, she a little older, maybe 30 ;)

The pug is Moe, hes my boy. great dog

Well, for some reason our guy has always been comfortable with slightly older girls. ;)

Our pug is a "fixed" female. Her name is Bella, and we have spoiled her (or she has spoiled us, rather!) :D

Rogue
1/27/2009, 08:11 PM
Vista > innerwebs.

I think if I was a single feller now I'd have to try it. Seems to just be the way folks meet these days. Plenty of horror stories out there too, just like meeting people other ways.

Funny how people are still sort of embarrassed to admit they met online.
I've never looked down on it.

So far the concensus seems to be - not ghey.

AlbqSooner
1/27/2009, 08:36 PM
I used to be married. Now I just rent.

bluedogok
1/27/2009, 10:23 PM
It's okay if you're trying to find a good person to date for the long term, but you'll have to sift through a lot of no-goes. Just like "real dating."
Yep, I got to a period in my life (mid-30's) and all of my friends that I used to go out with were married with kids or moved away and I was tired of the club scene anyway. So I gave it a shot, met quite a few nice ones and some bizarre ones and usually figured out quickly if someone was worth pursuing or not (I am sure it worked both ways) and met some nice people and had a few relationships until I met my wife after she messaged me first. She is the reason why I moved to Austin and we will have been married for 6 years at the end of June. It was just "right" and we figured that out quicker for two people in their late 30's who had never been married before.

If you have some discernment skills, it can be a very good way to meet people.

Crucifax Autumn
1/27/2009, 10:53 PM
I've been laid A LOT thanks to the net...then I got married!

Viking Kitten
1/28/2009, 12:48 AM
I've been laid A LOT thanks to the net...then I got married!

And haven't gotten laid since!

http://nohomers.net/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

SicEmBaylor
1/28/2009, 01:00 AM

I'm single!

OUHOMER
1/28/2009, 05:54 AM
I'm single!

Oh Good Lord, Dude i don't think you could handle her, But she does know how to change a flat and jump start a car:D

But than again, I would say you were complete opposites:O

LosAngelesSooner
1/28/2009, 06:34 AM
Homer, you should TOTALLY set her up with SicEm. You'll be able to let her go out on the date with absolutely no concerns about her virtue.

But make her wash her hands, after. ;)

SoonerJack
1/28/2009, 09:12 AM
When I was a freshman at OU...I actually PAID for both eHarmony and match.com because I thought the pickins weren't too good on campus (the hawt ones were either sorority sluts or smoked).

You got on eHarmony and match.com when you were a freshman? Man, way to see the glass as half empty.

I would submit to you that being in a sorority does not automatically make you a slut.

8timechamps
1/28/2009, 10:41 AM
I need to clarify that I am not looking for a woman. The question was whether or not it is ghey.

That being said, I'm not married to the girl I'm seeing, so if Homer's daughter is looking, I'd be open...but she'd have to come to Denver. ;)

OU4LIFE
1/28/2009, 11:12 AM
I need to clarify that I am not looking for a woman.

We covered that earlier. This isn't news.

JohnnyMack
1/28/2009, 11:30 AM
1tc and I met online and have been in love for almost 4 years now.

Vaevictis
1/28/2009, 11:56 AM
I need to clarify that I am not looking for a woman. The question was whether or not it is ghey.

In that case, yes. It's ghey. But I don't think it being online has anything to do with that.

Veritas
1/28/2009, 12:37 PM
1tc and I met online and have been in love for almost 4 years now.
And how can you forget about Dolemite and yermom?

C&CDean
1/28/2009, 12:40 PM
On-line dating is for lazy ****ers.

Besides, after meeting a bunch of people on this site I can say most people on the innerwebs are ****ing liars.

Oldnslo
1/28/2009, 01:10 PM

Besides, after meeting a bunch of people on this site I can say most people on the innerwebs are ****ing liars.

taint story?

LilSooner
1/28/2009, 01:22 PM

What am I not short? phhhht.

OUMallen
1/28/2009, 01:26 PM
Not ghey. Especially if you're not a bar-scene type.

OUMallen
1/28/2009, 01:30 PM
When I was a freshman at OU...I actually PAID for both eHarmony and match.com because I thought the pickins weren't too good on campus (the hawt ones were either sorority sluts or smoked).

Talk about bringing sand to the beach...

MrJimBeam
1/28/2009, 02:13 PM
If you have some discernment skills, it can be a very good way to meet people.

Well, I'm screwed.

C&CDean
1/28/2009, 02:18 PM
taint story?

Nope. True as can be. Unfortunately...

Of course if I tell the story with a bunch of booze in me I tend to embellish a little, but in reality, what can be more straightforward than rappelling off a bridge and landing taint-first on a pulled out railroad spike? That story pales in comparison to some of the bull**** I see around here.

C&CDean
1/28/2009, 02:19 PM

I said "most" Ms. half-pint.

Howzit
1/28/2009, 02:30 PM
I need to clarify that I am not looking for a woman.

No. You don't need to clarify that.

8timechamps
1/28/2009, 02:50 PM
No. You don't need to clarify that.

You would know firsthand my friend.

soonerboomer93
1/28/2009, 04:06 PM

how old is she, and is she hawt?

SicEmBaylor
1/28/2009, 04:06 PM

I've definitely never lied about my size.

8timechamps
1/28/2009, 04:07 PM

The innerwebs mimics the "real" world.

Beef
1/28/2009, 04:44 PM
Guilty. I'm even sexier in person than I claim to be here.

C&CDean
1/28/2009, 05:08 PM
Guilty. I'm even sexier in person than I claim to be here.

Agreed.

Actually, the only people I've met from this site who really matched up to their handle or posting style are Sicem, Rhino, BSG, David Earl, and maybe a couple others I'm missing.

Most are either much nicer/gentler than their posting style/persona, or nothing at all like they act on here.

IB4OU2
1/28/2009, 05:40 PM
Iv'e never done it and I never will...

Frozen Sooner
1/28/2009, 06:14 PM
Agreed.

Actually, the only people I've met from this site who really matched up to their handle or posting style are Sicem, Rhino, BSG, David Earl, and maybe a couple others I'm missing.

Most are either much nicer/gentler than their posting style/persona, or nothing at all like they act on here.

What, I don't post like a fat, drunken, heatstroking mess?

Curly Bill
1/28/2009, 07:29 PM
I know for sure that I post much like a 1880's era gunfigther dude would post if he had the innerwebs.

colleyvillesooner
1/28/2009, 07:36 PM
Agreed.

WHAT. EVA. You post office working, ranching ****. I'm the exact bad-*** in real life like I am on here. ;)

And it all ends in 3 weeks when the little one gets here... :D

SOONER STEAKER
1/28/2009, 07:38 PM
I tried that one time with Match.com, I met a wonderful lady who had 2 kids. The kids were awesome! We dated about 9 months, but during the summer I was on the road several days a week and that's when I discovered she couldn't trust any man since she had been cheated on some many times in the past. She accused me on several occassions of being with other women even though I was always at baseball parks working.

There are some great ladies online but several are very insecure and damaged goods.

8timechamps
1/28/2009, 08:48 PM
So, you saying I shouldn't post a high school picture of myself?

Would me in a Speedo now be much better?

bluedogok
1/29/2009, 12:26 AM
I've never understood why some people have a "net personality" that is so different than that of the real person. I have met some from motorcylce boards that are that way and I still didn't understand it.

There are some great ladies online but several are very insecure and damaged goods.
Just like the real world......

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/29/2009, 01:56 AM
Everyone is cool on the innerweb...unless they are Nick Zepp. Now me I have been totally honest on here, I have a body like Brad Pitt in Troy and I am much prettier than even LAS!!

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2009, 02:20 AM
I have a body like comic book guy on The Simpsons and I'm way prettier than Gollum.

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2009, 06:43 AM
Dean is a total gentleman in person. A good man to be sure, and actually quite a bit nicer than he is online.

OU4LIFE
1/29/2009, 08:15 AM

exactly, and I'm not hairy?

Dean's wrong. We don't lie. None of us. ;)

OU4LIFE
1/29/2009, 08:23 AM
So, you saying I shouldn't post a high school picture of myself?

Would me in a Speedo now be much better?

well, it would be more honest of you. Best thing about telling the truth, the interest you get would be genuine, and not based on something that isn't really you. dig?

JohnnyMack
1/29/2009, 10:10 AM
Dean has soft hands. True.

texas bandman
1/29/2009, 10:21 AM
Dean is a total gentleman in person. A good man to be sure, and actually quite a bit nicer than he is online.

Suck up. :D

Collier11
1/29/2009, 10:27 AM
I know a lot of people who use the web to meet dates.

If you've got the patience, I recommend it. I also recommend using a CURRENT photo, describing yourself realistically, and realizing that you AREN'T the hot stud you were in college anymore, so if you do it, be honest with yourself and with others. You'll waste less time and have more actual success.

I also recommend you realize that just because YOU'RE being honest, doesn't mean that all the ladies will be honest and use current photos. ;)

Good luck.

Says the guy who posts fake pics of himself on his dating site :D

C&CDean
1/29/2009, 11:10 AM
Dean has soft hands. True.

JM has even softer lips. True.

OU4LIFE
1/29/2009, 11:31 AM
eww

C&CDean
1/29/2009, 11:55 AM
Don't act like you didn't already know this **** Sasquatch.

soonerbrat
1/29/2009, 11:58 AM
Agreed.

not me.

C&CDean
1/29/2009, 12:00 PM
not me.

Not you what?

soonerbrat
1/29/2009, 12:05 PM
i'm not much nicer in person.

OU4LIFE
1/29/2009, 12:10 PM
parts of you are nicer in person.

*runs away*:hot:

bonkuba
1/29/2009, 12:12 PM
Well, one of my employees used a site recently and he has been well please so far. The young lady he was "matched" with seems OK so far......no murdering tendancies or anything yet :D

LosAngelesSooner
1/30/2009, 03:13 PM
Says the guy who posts fake pics of himself on his dating site :DHa!

Lord...if I was gonna use fake pics on any site, I'd use better ones than the ones I've got of me. LOL

And if I was dumb enough to get on a dating site, my gf would take bolt cutters to me while I slept. She's from Jersey. :eek:

OU4LIFE
1/30/2009, 04:18 PM
that would infer that women from Jersey are somehow more vicious or vindictive than women from other parts of the world.

I respectfully disagree.

Partial Qualifier
1/30/2009, 04:53 PM
Vicious & vindictive? Try Vietnamese chicks. Ho-Lee-Sheet. :eek:

NormanPride
1/30/2009, 06:05 PM
I'm learning more and more about the people here...

Dean, you're too much of a teddy bear in real life.

OU4LIFE
2/2/2009, 08:26 AM
Vicious & vindictive? Try Vietnamese chicks. Ho-Lee-Sheet. :eek:

I'm pretty sure 8 is looking for Vietnamese 'chicks' with a little something extra downstairs. and it has to be bigger than his or he's not interested.

wait, are those more vicious or less vicious than the real chicks?

I'm hoping more. He deserves the best.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2009, 03:17 PM
And to think we went straight from ghey/not ghey to ghey/shemale and completely jumped over fat chicks in the process.

That's like, refined and civilized.

skycat
2/3/2009, 10:53 AM
Met my wife on Match.com in 2003. Just knowing that everyone that signed up was looking to meet somebody really upped my confidence level.

8timechamps
2/3/2009, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty sure 8 is looking for Vietnamese 'chicks' with a little something extra downstairs. and it has to be bigger than his or he's not interested.

wait, are those more vicious or less vicious than the real chicks?

I'm hoping more. He deserves the best.

I can't even reply.

Well played.