PDA

View Full Version : Obama picks Arab network for first TV interview

JLEW1818
1/27/2009, 01:10 PM
CAIRO, Egypt – President Barack Obama chose an Arabic satellite TV network for his first formal television interview as president, part of a concerted effort to repair relations with the Muslim world that were damaged under the previous administration.

Obama cited his Muslim background and relatives, practically a taboo issue during the U.S. presidential campaign, and said in the interview, which aired Tuesday, that one of his main tasks was to communicate to Muslims "that the Americans are not your enemy."

The interview on the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya news channel aired as Obama's new envoy to the region, former Sen. George J. Mitchell, arrived in Egypt on Tuesday for a visit that will also take him to Israel, the West Bank, Jordan, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

Obama said the U.S. had made mistakes in the past but "that the same respect and partnership that America had with the Muslim world as recently as 20 or 30 years ago, there's no reason why we can't restore that."

Obama's predecessor, former President George W. Bush, launched wars in Iraq and Afghanistan which prompted a massive backlash against the U.S. in the Muslim world.

In contrast to the enthusiastic reception Obama's victory has garnered around the world, the Arab world has been much more cautious about the new U.S. president — with most people skeptical that American policy in the region will change substantially.

"I can't be optimistic until I see something tangible," said Hatem al-Kurdi, 35, a Gaza City engineer who saw parts of the interview. "Anyone can say nice words, but you have to follow with actions."

"He seems very interested in the Middle East issue but he didn't say exactly what he's going to do about it," Kurdi added.

After earlier dismissing Obama as following the same policies as his predecessor, officials from the militant Palestinian Hamas group softened their stance against the new president Tuesday.

"In the last couple of days there have been a lot of statements (from Obama), some of them very positive, and choosing this George Mitchell as an envoy," said Ahmed Youssef, a senior Hamas official interviewed on the Doha-based Al-Jazeera news network. "I think there are some positive things we have to count."

Obama's choice of Al-Arabiya network, which is owned by a Saudi businessman, follows the lead of the Bush administration, which gave several presidential interviews to that news channel.

"The U.S. sees Al-Arabiya as a friendly Arab channel, whereas they see Al-Jazeera as confrontational," said Lawrence Pintak, director of the journalism training center at the American University in Cairo.

Hady Amr, director of the Brookings Doha Center, an arm of the U.S. think-tank in the Qatari capital, described decision to make the first presidential interview with an Arabic news network as "stunning."

"President Obama has made it absolutely clear ... that a central priority will be repairing America's relations with the Muslim world," he said. "If that's his objective, I'd say he's been hitting home run after home run."

In the interview, Obama called for a new partnership with the Muslim world "based on mutual respect and mutual interest." He talked about growing up in Indonesia, the Muslim world's most populous nation, and noted that he has Muslim relatives.

Obama's Kenyan father was born Muslim, though a self-described atheist, and many of his relatives in Kenya are practicing Muslims. As a child, Obama lived for a number of years in Indonesia while his mother as doing research there.

This appeal does seem to have struck a chord among many Muslims.

"He's different from the previous presidents, perhaps because of his color or his Islamic background. My views of America are different now than they were during the Bush administration," said Youssef Ali, 45, who works for the Iraqi Electricity Ministry in Baghdad.

Most of Obama's interview focused on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which is widely perceived in the Middle East as the most pressing issue in a region filled with animosities.

Obama said he felt it was important to "get engaged right away" in the Middle East and had directed Mitchell to talk to "all the major parties involved." His administration would craft an approach after that, he said.

"What I told him is start by listening, because all too often the United States starts by dictating," Obama told the interviewer.

The president reiterated the U.S. commitment to Israel as an ally and to its right to defend itself. But he suggested that both Israel and the Palestinians have hard choices to make.

"I do believe that the moment is ripe for both sides to realize that the path that they are on is one that is not going to result in prosperity and security for their people," he said, calling for a Palestinian state that is contiguous with internal freedom of movement and can trade with neighboring countries.

On Tuesday, Gaza's fragile truce was threatened when a bomb detonated by Palestinian militants exploded next to an Israeli army patrol along the border with Gaza, killing one soldier and wounding three.

Obama also said that recent statements and messages issued by the al-Qaida terror network suggest they do not know how to deal with his new approach.

"They seem nervous," he told the interviewer. "What that tells me is that their ideas are bankrupt."

In his latest message on Jan. 14, al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden said Obama had been left with a "heavy inheritance" of Bush's wars. Shortly after the election, the network's number two, Ayman al-Zawahri described Obama with a demeaning racial term for a black American who does the bidding of whites.

The message suggested the terror network was worried Obama could undermine its rallying cry that the U.S. is an enemy oppressor.

"There's no actions that they've taken that say a child in the Muslim world is getting a better education because of them, or has better health care because of them," said Obama about al-Qaida.

Obama also emphasized the importance of engaging with Iran, a country the Bush administration often singled out as the most dangerous in the region.

Obama condemned Iran's threats against Israel, pursuit of nuclear weapons and support of terrorist organizations, but said "it is important for us to be willing to talk to Iran, to express very clearly where our differences are, but where there are potential avenues for progress."

_____

Associated Press Writer Adam Schreck contributed to this report from Dubai.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090127/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_obama_mideast

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 01:17 PM
IT'S A TRAP!

KC//CRIMSON
1/27/2009, 01:19 PM
OH NOES!

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 01:23 PM
He's getting back to his roots. ;)

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 01:36 PM
Relations were damaged? Seriously......that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I sure as heck hope they were damaged.......mark my words this is the first step in trying to appease a people that will do nothing but shake their heads in agreement as they are cutting them off of our boys.

Trying to be nice to these people is the biggest mistake......unless he is being nice to their face and making preparations to wipe them out in secret (nah he isnt that smart....or doesnt appear to be yet).

Again.....God help us all.

SoonerProphet
1/27/2009, 01:38 PM
"these" people?

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 01:39 PM
IT'S A TRAP!

bri
1/27/2009, 01:47 PM
Relations were damaged? Seriously......that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I sure as heck hope they were damaged.......mark my words this is the first step in trying to appease a people that will do nothing but shake their heads in agreement as they are cutting them off of our boys.

Trying to be nice to these people is the biggest mistake......unless he is being nice to their face and making preparations to wipe them out in secret (nah he isnt that smart....or doesnt appear to be yet).

You're just a hate crime that hasn't happened yet, aren't you? :D

RFH Shakes
1/27/2009, 01:49 PM
"these" people?

What do you mean "these" people.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/rfhshakes/images.jpg

1890MilesToNorman
1/27/2009, 01:52 PM
Shaking my head hoping my turban doesn't fall off.

KC//CRIMSON
1/27/2009, 01:56 PM

You could always try to overthrow the government. That might work!

Veritas
1/27/2009, 02:07 PM
Obama said the U.S. had made mistakes in the past but "that the same respect and partnership that America had with the Muslim world as recently as 20 or 30 years ago, there's no reason why we can't restore that."

That's a really good point. There were certainly very few acts of terror committed by Muslims against the US or her citizens between 1979 and 1989.

Well, except for that whole Iran hostage thing or the TWA hijacking, or the Achille Lauro, or Lockerbie, or the three Beirut embassy bombings, or the plane bombing in Honolulu, or the Kuwait embassy bombing, or the restaurant bombing in Spain, or the USAF base in Germany, or the machine gunning of the airport in Rome, or the disco in Berlin, or the kidnapping and execution of a marine in Lebanon.

Other than those we got along just ****ing peachy with Muslims 20 and 30 years go.

soonerscuba
1/27/2009, 02:09 PM
You could always try to overthrow the government. That might work!No, they are going to "take it back", it's been a week and that popular democratically elected leader is getting them all jonesed to rise again. They're oppressed.

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 02:11 PM
No, they are going to "take it back", it's been a week and that popular democratically elected leader is getting them all jonesed to rise again. They're oppressed.

I guess you saw the bat signal and came running huh?

JLEW1818
1/27/2009, 02:47 PM
"We should only worry about ourselves"

I remember somebody saying that.

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 02:59 PM
Really I am not trying to seem like a freak on this.....but seriously these folks respect no one and will kill you and your people whilst negotiating.

I seriously hope and pray that it works.....really....I just know from past history and personal experience that it is the wrong path. They only understand one thing.....strength. Any weakness (negotiating is seen as a weakness to them) is dealt with severely. Why do you think they want cease-fires when a country that is fed up with their "crap" is bombing the crap out of them.....to seriously negotiate?? Nope....time to re-group and move assetts (women, children as shields, etc) in order to begin killing once they believe they are once again ready (all while they are at the table speaking of peace).

I know I cannot convince some of you of this fact and that is fine. I just wanted to voice my concern.

Carry on :D

soonerscuba
1/27/2009, 03:02 PM
Really I am not trying to seem like a freak on this.....but seriously these folks respect no one and will kill you and your people whilst negotiating.

I seriously hope and pray that it works.....really....I just know from past history and personal experience that it is the wrong path. They only understand one thing.....strength. Any weakness (negotiating is seen as a weakness to them) is dealt with severely. Why do you think they want cease-fires when a country that is fed up with their "crap" is bombing the crap out of them.....to seriously negotiate?? Nope....time to re-group and move assetts (women, children as shields, etc) in order to begin killing once they believe they are once again ready (all while they are at the table speaking of peace).

I know I cannot convince some of you of this fact and that is fine. I just wanted to voice my concern.

Carry on :DYou still won't define "these people".

SoonerProphet
1/27/2009, 03:03 PM
please enlighten us on who "these" folks are? i am sure you have done a vast survey and know whats in their hearts and on their minds.

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 03:04 PM
You could always try to overthrow the government. That might work!

All of 'em at once......maybe :D

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 03:50 PM
You still won't define "these people".

Very easy.........muslim extremists.....which make up a majority whether you believe it or not. I know that you may want to "bash" me for stating this fact but in your heart you know it to be a fact. I wish I was wrong....but I am not.

Also, to Soonerprophet who is being a fool in a serious discussion. Yes, I do have experience (not just in a forum or in a video game my friend). These people want nothing more than for us to die....nothing more.......just die.

Again, I know that what I say will not sway some of you and that is fine....a pity...but fine. Unfortunately, for my country and my children, I believe I will proven right as time goes on.

My apologies for stirring the pot. I just could not let this one go without commenting.

I will not comment further.

Thank you.

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 03:59 PM
That's a really good point. There were certainly very few acts of terror committed by Muslims against the US or her citizens between 1979 and 1989.

Well, except for that whole Iran hostage thing or the TWA hijacking, or the Achille Lauro, or Lockerbie, or the three Beirut embassy bombings, or the plane bombing in Honolulu, or the Kuwait embassy bombing, or the restaurant bombing in Spain, or the USAF base in Germany, or the machine gunning of the airport in Rome, or the disco in Berlin, or the kidnapping and execution of a marine in Lebanon.

Other than those we got along just ****ing peachy with Muslims 20 and 30 years go.

You sexist doosh-monkey!

OklahomaTuba
1/27/2009, 03:59 PM
He gave his first interview to the channel that lets Hamas launch rockets at Israel from their station building.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/32495_Video-_Al_Arabiya_Studio_Used_As_Rocket_Launching_Site

SoonerProphet
1/27/2009, 04:00 PM
Very easy.........muslim extremists.....which make up a majority whether you believe it or not.

Right, have a link with that info or are you just making up stuff to fit your worldview.

Also, to Soonerprophet who is being a fool in a serious discussion. Yes, I do have experience (not just in a forum or in a video game my friend). These people want nothing more than for us to die....nothing more.......just die.

I will not comment further.

Serious discussion, yes it sounds like have an open mind and are quite willing to engage in a serious discussion.

OklahomaTuba
1/27/2009, 04:01 PM

You mean the same "mutual respect" that led to not one, but two oil embargoes by OPEC as well??????

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 04:05 PM
Come on now bonkuba, you know the Muslim people are all about love and understanding, never in a million years would any of their kind engage in suicide bombings, rocket attacks, or the like, on a people they opposed. Obviously anything you have seen in the media indicating they might have at some point done these things has been miconstrued to make these peace-loving people seem to be something they aren't. ;) ;)

OklahomaTuba
1/27/2009, 04:19 PM
Just cause its Holocaust Remembrance Day...

For Holocaust Remembrance Day, Egyptian cleric Amin Al-Ansari shows Holocaust footage and proclaims, “This is what we hope will happen but, Allah willing, at the hands of the Muslims.” (http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/32573_Egyptian_TV-_Cleric_Wishes_for_Another_Holocaust)

soonerscuba
1/27/2009, 04:20 PM
I will not comment further.This is probably a good idea.

You're a bigot. I'm not going to cut corners or try to justify to you why, but you believe that a majority of a population which exceeds a billion people is bent on American descruction, which if true, would result in a markedly different set of world events. I don't deny that Muslim extremists are dangerous group of people that certainly deserve our attention, but the reality is that a Muslim nation has much more concern for the actions of the US as compared to the reverse. I'm not saying this is a bad thing and I greatly look forward to the day when we don't need their oil, but your opinion of reality doesn't appear to be based on any sort of tangible fact.

LosAngelesSooner
1/27/2009, 04:34 PM
This is probably a good idea.

You're a bigot. I'm not going to cut corners or try to justify to you why, but you believe that a majority of a population which exceeds a billion people is bent on American descruction, which if true, would result in a markedly different set of world events. I don't deny that Muslim extremists are dangerous group of people that certainly deserve our attention, but the reality is that a Muslim nation has much more concern for the actions of the US as compared to the reverse. I'm not saying this is a bad thing and I greatly look forward to the day when we don't need their oil, but your opinion of reality doesn't appear to be based on any sort of tangible fact.x2

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 04:36 PM

You're a bigot. I'm not going to cut corners or try to justify to you why, but you believe that a majority of a population which exceeds a billion people is bent on American descruction, which if true, would result in a markedly different set of world events. I don't deny that Muslim extremists are dangerous group of people that certainly deserve our attention, but the reality is that a Muslim nation has much more concern for the actions of the US as compared to the reverse. I'm not saying this is a bad thing and I greatly look forward to the day when we don't need their oil, but your opinion of reality doesn't appear to be based on any sort of tangible fact.

I am a bigot?? Listen to me you little prick. I have actually dealt with these people in the Middle East, had friends die at the hands of these extremists. Have you ever dealt with anyone other than your Mother wiping your ***? Please STFU. Never comment on something you know nothing about.

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 04:37 PM

x eleventy-billion! Because everyone knows if you say something bad about another group of people it can only be because you are a bigot. ;)

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 04:37 PM
x2

Hey look.....there ya are baby. You know ya love me......:D

By the way is Daddy here to wipe you bobo?? LOL

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 04:40 PM
x eleventy-billion! Because everyone knows if you say something bad about another group of people it can only be because you are a bigot. ;)

:D :D

soonerscuba
1/27/2009, 04:42 PM
I am a bigot?? Listen to me you little prick. I have actually dealt with these people. Have you ever dealt with anyone other than your Mother wiping your ***? Please STFU. Never comment on something you know nothing about.

Geeeeesh.I lived with a Muslim for 4 years and frequently deal with them in buisness and travel to the region, so yes, I am familiar with them. Yet, I don't think it makes me an authority on the views of 500 million people, imagine that.

Call names all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you believe a majority of the second largest religion on earth subscribes to a world view that you have no sort of provable facts to justify. I'll say it again, that's bigoted thinking.

soonerscuba
1/27/2009, 04:44 PM
x eleventy-billion! Because everyone knows if you say something bad about another group of people it can only be because you are a bigot. ;)No, no, it depends on which group of people. For example, I hate the Dutch.

OUHOMER
1/27/2009, 04:46 PM
I thought I post in here before it gets locked down

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 04:52 PM
When I first saw the thread title I thought it would likely get interesting. :D

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 04:53 PM
Good Grief.

OK....you guys win. Everyone loves everyone. Nothing bad happens and I have blinders on.

Man with these blinders on everything looks GREAT!! Wow why didn't I think of this before...thanks guys!! I feel so much better now.....:D

OUHOMER
1/27/2009, 05:05 PM
You know, just like any culture, there are extremist. In this case Muslim extremist who would like nothing better than to see us burn in hell. And I agree that the entire 1 billion Muslim Nation are not all extremist. How many are extremist? Who really knows.

But seems to me, In my very limited world of knowledge, that the non-extremist seem to be sitting on the side lines just watching. I dont see them trying to help round up the extremist or even slow them down.

They are just sitting back and watching. Those who do lend a hand only do it for their own benefit.

LosAngelesSooner
1/27/2009, 05:35 PM
Hey look.....there ya are baby. You know ya love me......:D

By the way is Daddy here to wipe you bobo?? LOL
:rolleyes:

*sigh*

tick...tock...tick...tock...

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 05:37 PM
tick...tock...tick...tock...

tick...tock...tick...tock...? Are you one of those Muslim suicide bombers?

LosAngelesSooner
1/27/2009, 05:45 PM
You know, just like any culture, there are extremist. In this case Muslim extremist who would like nothing better than to see us burn in hell. And I agree that the entire 1 billion Muslim Nation are not all extremist. How many are extremist? Who really knows.

But seems to me, In my very limited world of knowledge, that the non-extremist seem to be sitting on the side lines just watching. I dont see them trying to help round up the extremist or even slow them down.

They are just sitting back and watching. Those who do lend a hand only do it for their own benefit.They sit on the sideline because they don't want to get blowed up.

Remember, the Muslim Extremists don't just blow up Americans and Israelis, they blow up anyone who dares to disagree with them, other Muslims included.

The 3 biggest problems in the Muslim world are: #1) Poverty #2) Lack of education #3) Limited contact with other thoughts, ideas, world views, news sources.

They rely on their religious leaders for what they should think, how they should feel, what the "truths of the world are." And that's why their thought is limited and their hatred is both ignorant and limitless. Kinda reminds me of some other backwards thinking religious zealots I know closer to home. ;) It's the classic symptom of the zealot. And there are murderous zealots in every religion.

It's gonna be a long, slow process to bring that region of the world into the 21st century. But there are more peace loving, forward thinking people there who are hoping it'll happen than there are crazy jihadists who are willing to blow themselves up to prevent it.

It'll happen, eventually, but it'll take time. Maybe 100 years or so.

SoonerProphet
1/27/2009, 05:51 PM

They are just sitting back and watching. Those who do lend a hand only do it for their own benefit.

If you look you can find lots of information on Islamic nation-states, editors, and religious leaders speak out against the homicidal behaviors of "extremists". Which btw is a loaded bit of language if there ever was one, a topic for a whole different thread. Plenty of examples of Egypt, Jordan, and even Syria going after groups who more often than not threaten their own regimes.

Just like the mafia, FARC, the IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah, etc...all will find sanctuary where populations buy into their own propaganda rather than ours.

bri
1/27/2009, 06:19 PM
When I first saw the thread title I thought it would likely get interesting. :D

Heh, you didn't really have to go out too far on a limb for that one, did you? ;)

Curly Bill
1/27/2009, 06:22 PM
Heh, you didn't really have to go out too far on a limb for that one, did you? ;)

Nah, it was a fastball down the middle. :D

bri
1/27/2009, 06:36 PM
Nah, it was a fastball down the middle. :D

If you were a private school in Dallas, you'd have to apologize for taking the easy win. :D

captain_surly
1/27/2009, 06:49 PM
Kinda reminds me of some other backwards thinking religious zealots I know closer to home. ;)

For every Fred Phelps or Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson there are a thousand jihadasts. You know it , I know it but it's the pink elephant in the corner as far as this discussion goes. I'm as far from the religious right as you can get but the Muslims are a more violent people today than Christians or Jews.

Now you may call me a newb and continue.

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 06:52 PM
Seriously be careful how you respond on this site.......

This site has become more of a daycare than....well.....that is what most of everything is now days anyway.

I will card myself for that comment.....LOL :D :D

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 06:55 PM
**DOUBLE POST**

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 07:21 PM
tick...tock...tick...tock...? Are you one of those Muslim suicide bombers?

LOL

I Am Right
1/27/2009, 07:26 PM
Figures!

LosAngelesSooner
1/27/2009, 07:35 PM
For every Fred Phelps or Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson there are a thousand jihadasts. You know it , I know it but it's the pink elephant in the corner as far as this discussion goes. I'm as far from the religious right as you can get but the Muslims are a more violent people today than Christians or Jews.

Now you may call me a newb and continue.
You obviously missed the point I was making.

a) "Christian Extremists" go back centuries. Crusades? Inquisitions? Salem Witch trials? It's not the people. It's not the religion. It's the ignorance. In the case of the US, most Christians have a better education than your run of the mill Middle-Easterner simply by being born and raised in the U.S. You also don't see too many U.S. born and raised Muslims running around blowing up stuff, do you?

b) Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell wouldn't be considered "Christian Extremists" by any stretch. People who assassinate Abortion Clinic doctors would be. As would David Koresh.

And Muslims aren't any more or less violent than Christians, they just have less to lose by letting their violent impulses run amok. Plenty of Christians feel the urge to run out and blow some people/things up, but they don't because they either have too much to lose or are well educated enough that they know how futile such an exercise is.

Re: your second comment, I only call people "newb" when they: a) have very few posts and b) start talking tons of trash to long time regulars. You don't fall into that category.

Welcome to the boards.

Veritas
1/27/2009, 09:48 PM
It's quite ignorant to assume that what gains respect in one culture has the same result in another.

Whet
1/27/2009, 09:52 PM

See a Pattern Here?: Obama's First Formal Prez Interview w/ Terrorist News Net #2; UPDATE: Video Added; UPDATE 2: Part 2 Video Added
By Debbie Schlussel (http://www.debbieschlussel.com/)
Last week, I told you about President Obama's first call to a foreign leader (http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2009/01/thanks_78_of_je.html)--to Palestinian President/P.L.O. terrorist/Holocaust denier/Munich Olympic terrorist massacre paymaster, Mahmoud Abbas a/k/a Abu Mazen.
Today, Obama gave his first formal interview--to anti-Israel, pan-terrorist network Al-Arabiya (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/01/president-ob-10.html) (a rival to Al-Jazeera) a/k/a Terrorist News Network #2 (#1 is Jazeera).
Do you see a pattern here? It's kinda clear. Obama is taking a stand: He's on the side of the Islamic world and is signaling that to them, by honoring them with prominent firsts of his administration.
This isn't just symbolism. It's policy. It's gonna be a long and painful 4-8 years of pandering to the Islamic world. It was bad enough with Bush, but we ain't seen nothin' yet.
Part I:
Part II:
http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/alarabiya3.jpghttp://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/barackobama.jpg

Hmmm. . . I wonder if Obama was interviewed by the Al-Arabiya reporter who laughed when she learned that HAMAS rockets were being launched (http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2009/01/video_impartial.html) at Israeli civilians from the Al-Arabiya building in Gaza. That would be even more fitting--and part of the emerging Arabama pattern.
One other thing: I was interviewed by Al-Arabiya (http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2006/08/my_interview_wi.html) for a special they did on alleged Islamophobia in America on the fifth anniversary of 9/11. As an example of this Islamophobia, Al-Arabiya cited American law enforcement's concern over several groups of Muslims who drove around the Midwest buying disposable cellphones (http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2006/08/all-american_te.html) and sending them to the Mideast. These Muslim Arabs lied to police and admitted they knew the phones would be used in IEDs.
Yup, sounds like Islamophobia to me. No coincidence that this is Obama's first official network interview. Just confirmation of what I and so many others warned the 63 million about, but the 63 million either didn't listen or didn't care.

January 27, 2009

Al-Arabiya Obama Interview: Apologizing for America, Ambassador For Muslims

By Debbie Schlussel (http://www.debbieschlussel.com/)
Earlier today, I posted part of the Obama Al-Arabiya interview, his first official interview as President. But it was only Part 1 of the video. I'm now reposting it and posting Part 2, which is the worst part. Watch them both, as they are illustrative of everything I and many others warned about.
You may have thought he was America's President. But that's not how he sees things. Obama sees himself as the ambassador of the Muslim world to everyone else, and he finds it necessary to apologize for America's actions vis-a-vis the Muslim world (to whom we've mostly pandered anyway). It's sickening. Oh, and then there's that little issue of how he says Israel should negotiate with its enemies without preconditions. So, HAMAS doesn't have to denounce its stated mission of eliminating not only Israel, but the Jews, too. But Israel must negotiate with this league of Nazis. We told you so.
zblKT6Z-LV0

erWVkTi0BT0

JohnnyMack
1/27/2009, 11:04 PM
Obama 1
Al Qaida 0

This was a pretty savvy move on BHO's part if you ask me.

ouwasp
1/27/2009, 11:37 PM
So exactly what is BHO's stand on Iran having nukes?

OklahomaTuba
1/27/2009, 11:41 PM
Present.

jage
1/28/2009, 08:14 PM

Did you really not read the article?

Obama also emphasized the importance of engaging with Iran, a country the Bush administration often singled out as the most dangerous in the region.

Obama condemned Iran's threats against Israel, pursuit of nuclear weapons and support of terrorist organizations, but said "it is important for us to be willing to talk to Iran, to express very clearly where our differences are, but where there are potential avenues for progress."

jage
1/28/2009, 08:22 PM
So for those of you who do not agree with Obama's approach, what would you rather see? A full on war? Should we just nuke "those people"?

Now, I've never fought over there, or even been out of the country for that matter, so I understand why some of you would be very bitter towards them. However, that in no way means you have to hate an entire religion or race of people.

This is a good first step for Obama IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

ouwasp
1/28/2009, 11:06 PM
Did you really not read the article?

no, I didn't bother reading the article...I figured some apologist would give me the scoop. Or at least the scoop of the moment.

Point is, last yr in the campaign BHO said very explicitly that an Iranian nuke was not acceptable. Now he is asked in the interview and he prevaricates.

AggieTool
1/28/2009, 11:19 PM
Well one thing's fer sher, if Obama had done his first interview with Fox News, many here would quickly become his supporters, and want him to succeed.

You can just tell....:rolleyes:

Veritas
1/29/2009, 08:16 AM
Well one thing's fer sher, if Obama had done his first interview with Fox News, many here would quickly become his supporters, and want him to succeed.
Lol, maybe, maybe not, but you'd hear a lot of left leaning types weeping and gnashing their teeth.

leavingthezoo
1/29/2009, 12:53 PM
Lol, maybe, maybe not, but you'd hear a lot of left leaning types weeping and gnashing their teeth.

i doubt it. we've seen him interviewed on fox before and was quite pleased with his ability to handle a screamer. ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2009, 03:39 PM
prevaricates.

I don't think this word means what you think it means.

JohnnyMack
1/29/2009, 03:44 PM
I don't think this word means what you think it means.

No more rhymes, I mean it.

bri
1/29/2009, 04:11 PM
i doubt it. we've seen him interviewed on fox before and was quite pleased with his ability to handle a screamer. ;)

That's what having a huge stimulus package will do for you.

jage
1/29/2009, 04:20 PM
no, I didn't bother reading the article...I figured some apologist would give me the scoop. Or at least the scoop of the moment.

Point is, last yr in the campaign BHO said very explicitly that an Iranian nuke was not acceptable. Now he is asked in the interview and he prevaricates.

Did you not read the quote from the article you didn't read? lol.

"Obama condemned Iran's threats against Israel, pursuit of nuclear weapons"