PDA

View Full Version : We have a new fan

delhalew
1/26/2009, 04:06 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2150&tid=123927662&mid=123927662&sid=1144&style=2

Don't know if ya'll have seen this, but I thought it was nice.

Congrats to those of you who attended the game. It seems you made an impression.

Editor, The Transcript:

As a communications and messaging strategist based in Princeton, N.J., I am blessed (or cursed) with a hypersensitvity to how people communicate, and what message people send through verbal communication, body language and actions.

On a recent business trip to Miami, I spent a few days at the Fontainbleu Hotel, and happened to coincide with the BCS title game. Little did I know upon my arrival that I would spend the next few days with the Sooner Nation, including the team, and what seemed like an endless sea of maroon and white.

I was born on the campus of Purdue University and did my undergrad work at an ACC school, so I was no stranger to college football and passionate fans.

That being said, the sheer number of fans and the intensity and devotion to OU was overwhelming. I didn't know what to expect -- I do know one thing I did not expect was to become an overnight fan of the OU players and the fans from Oklahoma.

In my world, everything you do communicates a message, and I mean everything. This was no different for the OU players and fans.

The reality was that the few acres that the Fontainblue sits on had become Oklahoma with a beach for the week. Maroon and white everywhere. Thousands of fans. I was not wearing maroon and white, I speak with a Northeastern accent, and knew no one else there except for my small group. That didnt stop nearly everyone I encountered from starting a conversation, smiling and generally being warm and inclusive -- I am still wondering if there was a pregame tailgate I wasn't invited to.

I happened to be in the auxiliary lobby of the hotel at the same time as the OU players on the morning following the devastating defeat. That being said, as I was walking through the lobby to the restaurant, I casually told one player in passing, "you guys played well, you should be proud." He, and three teammates standing with him, smiled and thanked me -- and then started a conversation, asking about where I was from, what I did, etc. This cascaded into a number of conversations with a number of players.

These players have been in the national media spotlight all year, had tens of thousands of fans, many three times their age, follow them to Miami, a few will be instant millionaires next year, and they had just had what for many had to be one of the roughest nights of their college lives. I am not a coach, agent, writer or even a fan and was dressed in a sweatsuit. The players could have nodded or just said nothing and it would be completely understandable. They did the opposite.

Everything you do sends a message, and the message sent by the actions and conduct of the OU players and fans did more, in my eyes, for the university and state of Oklahoma than any advertising program could have.

In an era where there are endless stories of players and fans behaving poorly, stories of egotistical and arrogant athletes and stories of big time programs getting into some sort of hot water (stories that have included OU in years past), the class and dignity exhibited by the fans and players of OU did the university and the state proud. You might not have won the game but I guarantee you did gain new fans of Sooner Nation. Congratulations.

Matt Eventoff

Princeton, N.J.

rainiersooner
1/26/2009, 04:15 PM
Nice post.

It's a good thing he wasn't sitting next to the guy in my section throwing up on his shoes. :)

Flagstaffsooner
1/26/2009, 04:18 PM
maroon?

delhalew
1/26/2009, 04:21 PM
LOL. It kind of goes with the possibly naive way I feel about many of our players.

If you look at top underclassmen deciding to stay, and devote effort to each other and the University to finish what they started and further prepare themselves for the future.

It shows a mindset and belief system that I don't think we see enough of today.

Boomer.....
1/26/2009, 04:21 PM
Great story!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2009, 04:22 PM
Well, he is from NJ. I'll give it as few may understand the difference of Crimson...;)

delhalew
1/26/2009, 04:23 PM
maroon?

Yeah, he needs to do some research, but I'll give him a pass. He means well.

TMcGee86
1/26/2009, 04:27 PM
I can't believe that many A&M fans went. I guess they have to do something to see a championship game in person. ;)

CrimsonJim
1/26/2009, 04:35 PM
maroon?

MaroonJim........nahhh, just doesn't have the same ring to it. :)

Good post.

oupride
1/26/2009, 05:25 PM
thanks for the post!

zeke
1/26/2009, 05:52 PM
thanks for posting that

47straight
1/26/2009, 07:32 PM
Yup. Sounds like Okies living up to our own gold standard on how to act.

BoomerSooner, esq.
1/26/2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the post. I was really happy to see the number of fans in Miami and the general friendliness everyone had.

Cant wait till next year.

Pasadena sounds nice!!! ((((((fingers crossed))))))

AlbqSooner
1/26/2009, 09:01 PM
Remember how you felt about the LSU fans at the Sugar Bowl? Contrast that to the posted article. File that thought away for the next time you are at a road game. People do notice. I am proud to be a Sooner and hope to continue to be proud of that. Great Story!

LosAngelesSooner
1/26/2009, 10:00 PM
Damn East Coast Liberal media bias.

;)

Crucifax Autumn
1/26/2009, 10:03 PM
I've always said we have the greatest fans and this just reaffirms that.

Now id we can just get a few holdouts to act like that here! lol

A Sooner in Texas
1/26/2009, 10:59 PM
That's one of the best things I've read here...I've always known Oklahomans are some of the best people on the face of the earth.

1/26/2009, 11:12 PM
We have some great folks on our side. That said, was this guy checked out for teh ghey? ;)

MamaMia
1/27/2009, 01:27 AM
maroon?white?

LoyalFan
1/27/2009, 03:18 AM
maroon?

Yeah, whatta moran!
Somebody contact this guy and set 'im str8!

LF

LoyalFan
1/27/2009, 03:30 AM
Somebody contact this guy and set 'im str8!

LF

Don't bother. I'm already on it. I suspect this and other OU boards will have a new member soon.

LF

SoonerBacker
1/27/2009, 07:33 AM
Nice read. And I can forgive the maroon thing for now. He's from a part of the country that probably only sees OU on rare occassions. He'll get the Crimson soon enough.

SoonerJack
1/27/2009, 09:14 AM

;)
haaaaaa :D

TUSooner
1/27/2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, forget the maroon thing. His ignernce on that point only proves that he's an objective observer! Bless all y'all who went and represented Oklahoma in such a great way.

StoopTroup
1/27/2009, 07:40 PM
Better send him some salsa.

He's probably deprived.

http://di1.shopping.com/images/pi/f7/01/6a/29655988-177x150-0-0.jpg

Rogue
1/27/2009, 08:02 PM
Fontainbleu....swanky.
Some of our friends stayed there and we visited.
Got to rub elbows with TRRW and see AD and Stoops have a quick hug as the team loaded up on the bus the night before the game. Gerald McC's Dad was there.

It's not a place I could afford to stay for a week, or more than a night or two if I saved up.

The vibe was good though, and I was impressed with the hospitality and graciousness of the UF fans before and after the game. Well, not so much after, it's easy to be gracious when you win (see Nebraska in the 90's).

bmjlr
1/28/2009, 02:40 PM

;)

Post of the day!!! :D