PDA

View Full Version : So... what do we name our court?

badger
1/26/2009, 02:22 PM
In honor of awful weather and anticipation of playing on a court prematurely named for a Coach Left-of-Center, I propose this topic: What to name our court?

There are numerous possibilities, all of which I would like you to consider:

1- It can be after anyone that plays on that floor. Perhaps after Williams, who has brought OU many national championships in gymnastics?

2- It can be either at LNC or the Fieldhouse. Perhaps in due course, LNC will be the secondary practice facility and the Fieldhouse will be home to all major indoor sports, and thus, the name would be better suited at one facility over the other?

3- It can be clever. Tennessee doesn't have "Coach Pat Summit Court," but rather, "The Summit." Duke doesn't have "Coach Mike Kry...somethingsomething Court," it has "Coach K Court," with the "K" looking like the "K" in Duke's logo.

4- It doesn't have to be for another 20 years. Don't start with "nobody's earned it yet," because someone will earn it and we should know what to do when that time comes. We have numerous coaches well on their way to earning that distinction... but that brings me to the final point...

5- It doesn't have to be named after a coach. I would cry if it got named "Gaylord Court," but it could happen, I guess. I would rather see a non-monetary contributor to the athletic department honored, though.

And personally, I would like the name to be (1) at a renovated LNC/Fieldhouse, (2) After a coach, (3) after said coach retires and (4) extremely clever... oh and (5) after multiple coaches of basketball.

I think OSU would have thought twice about naming their court "Eddie Sutton Court" if only they waited until he retired. Then, they could have foreseen (1) the firing of Eddie's son and (2) it would have been after the DUI.

Not knocking the guy's on-court achievements, but when OU gives this honor, I don't want to end up in the same mess as the sister school

Sooner04
1/26/2009, 02:28 PM
Lester Lane Court.

OKLA21FAN
1/26/2009, 02:38 PM
The hotTubb :pop:

badger
1/26/2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.jacksonlivestock.com/images/first_prize_ribbon.jpg

Lester Lane Court.
Could we name the lane after Lester?

King Crimson
1/26/2009, 02:48 PM
Calvin Pierce Court.

soonerfan28
1/26/2009, 02:49 PM
Since Kelvin Sampson Court is probably out then I say Wayman Tisdale Court.

NormanPride
1/26/2009, 03:05 PM
The Daughouse?

I would LOVE to see the Fieldhouse renovated to make way for bringing sports closer to campus. Plus, we could gear it more towards hoops and make it a fun environment.

oumartin
1/26/2009, 03:21 PM
in honor of Calvin Simpson.

Sprint court

badger
1/26/2009, 04:14 PM
If we get too clever, perhaps it might get carried away to the point of announcers saying things like "The Sooners sprint down Sprint Court for a quick Tornado Alley-oop in Lester's Lane."

Rhino
1/26/2009, 05:59 PM
Do they still wrestle at the Fieldhouse?

If so, The Dr. Deathatorium.

John Kochtoston
1/26/2009, 07:04 PM
Bruce Drake Court

I was going to go with Drake's Dunkin' Spot, but that's WEAK.

Readyfor8
1/26/2009, 11:56 PM
I'm all for naming the Loyd Noble Center, The Bob Barry Bermuda Triangle for Hotdogs but only if we retire the LNC and Bronze Bob Barry Sr. to put him in a trophy case.

They can even have a button to push to play one of his famous calls, like "Heuple to Price on the Wing"

Grimey
1/27/2009, 12:23 AM
Harvey Grant's tomb?

I got nothin. its late

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 12:45 AM
Ground Zero.

SoonerBacker
1/27/2009, 07:41 AM

I always loved the way Tubbs would crank the heat up in there and then run other teams into the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglrzDO2etA

MrJimBeam
1/27/2009, 08:17 AM
Cleveland County Court House.

Beerrrruuuurpppp.

King Crimson
1/27/2009, 08:23 AM
I always loved the way Tubbs would crank the heat up in there and then run other teams into the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglrzDO2etA

there's a longer (longer) version of this where you see Ed Hightower "swoop" in and T up Billy.

classic. never gets old.

badger
1/27/2009, 10:22 AM
In honor of Tisdale and Blake Griffin, we name the entire area within the (recently extended!) three-point line the "2-3 Zone."

... all areas instead the 3-point arch except for the paint, of course, which is still "Lester's Lane."

soonerfan28
1/27/2009, 01:23 PM
Blake Tisdale Court

cjames317
1/27/2009, 02:04 PM
Wayman's World?

badger
1/28/2009, 11:47 AM
Wayman's World?

Nice, nice...

Perhaps we can be like the Tampa Bay Buc's field and have a bunch of signs surrounding the court in tribute to current and former players. For a university that prides tradition and history, it would be a perfect tribute.

All schools have jerseys and banners in the rafters tributing individual and team success. Most schools have advertisements surrounding their court while the elite few upgraded those signs to plasma screens that show ads in high def.

WE, on the other hand, could do something completely different :D