PDA

View Full Version : The Ice Storm cometh...

ouwasp
1/25/2009, 11:51 PM
So another one of those **** things is headed toward NE OK again!

The last two winters my town has lost power for the better part of a week because of these storms. Please not again...

Whatever happened to good ol' fashioned snow?

Bring on Global Warming!

tommieharris91
1/26/2009, 01:30 AM
:gary:

Crucifax Autumn
1/26/2009, 03:03 AM
Glad I'm not any of you guys about now!

As for the global warming, screw that...it already hits over 120 in the summer here and costs $300+ a month just to keep the AC at 80!

OUHOMER
1/26/2009, 06:14 AM
yea, its going to suck he next couple of days. I hope me drivers are very careful out there. Its not really them I worry about. it's the other idiot drivers.

You know the ones,can not drive on ice, but will and will also be on their cell phones telling their friends. "Yea man it's bad out here, thought i would call and tell ya."

Okla-homey
1/26/2009, 06:23 AM
Dear Oklahoma Icey Storm of Deathv9.0,

If you prompt AC/DC to cancel and/or postpone Oklahoma's musical event of the year tonight, I am going to be very disappointed. I will probably do something extremely irresponsible as to carbon emission spewage, just to hasten and exacerbate global warming and therefore killing your successors in the womb.

Very Truly Yours,
Homey

King Crimson
1/26/2009, 08:00 AM
yup, here up-gulf stream in Colorado we had a couple 60-70 degree days midweek and then the storm rolled in. it was supposed to get up to about 32 yesterday but never got above about 18. it's 2 right now but not so much snow/precip....a few inches max and some wind (which is rare).

maybe you guys will get lucky, but this thing has been hanging around at least 24 hours longer than they thought. good news, not too much precip.

OUMallen
1/26/2009, 11:30 AM
Surely this won't be as bad as last year. Last year was ridiculous...

XFollower
1/26/2009, 12:11 PM
For those of you in the OKC area, what's it's doing down there?

Oldnslo
1/26/2009, 12:42 PM
I understand that there has just been a pretty substantial accident on the Turner Turnpike westbound right about at the western end.

OU's medical classes at the Duncan hospital are being cancelled.

OU4LIFE
1/26/2009, 01:22 PM
Dear Oklahoma Icey Storm of Deathv9.0,

If you prompt AC/DC to cancel and/or postpone Oklahoma's musical event of the year tonight, I am going to be very disappointed. I will probably do something extremely irresponsible as to carbon emission spewage, just to hasten and exacerbate global warming and therefore killing your successors in the womb.

Very Truly Yours,
Homey

dude, at least you live there. We're going to be TRYING to come in from stillwater....it's already pretty nasty here.

OU4LIFE
1/26/2009, 01:23 PM
at this point, honestly, I just wish they'd cancel and reschedule. I really don't want to take the risk

King Crimson
1/26/2009, 01:25 PM
at this point, honestly, I just wish they'd cancel and reschedule. I really don't want to take the risk

where did/of if they play last night or before?

i'm telling you this storm is for real depending on what happens.

OU4LIFE
1/26/2009, 01:28 PM
it already looks for real.

they were in Dallas the 23rd.

OUMallen
1/26/2009, 01:50 PM
in OKC- everyone I've talked to said it doesn't *look* bad until you're on it. Lots of wrecks. OKC PD isn't even responding to non-injury accidents. Tons of places shutting down early.

IBleedCrimson
1/26/2009, 01:54 PM
roads r pretty iced over in norman. classes canceled. girlfriend got rear ended once already

OU4LIFE
1/26/2009, 02:00 PM
roads r pretty iced over in norman. classes canceled. girlfriend got rear ended once already

*snicker*

SCORE!

I hear that plentiful lube is the key.

Dio
1/26/2009, 02:02 PM

See, you're finding ways to keep warm.

OUMallen
1/26/2009, 02:08 PM
girlfriend got rear ended once already

That's one way to keep warm...

King Crimson
1/26/2009, 02:11 PM
the use of the word "once" is nice there....implies other times...!!

XFollower
1/26/2009, 02:11 PM
Wow, IBleedCrimson, you left that one out there for the taking.

BudSooner
1/26/2009, 02:12 PM
The front porch is slicker than snot right now and that means my fat *** is staying inside, no reason to injure myself more that it is already.

The PS2 will come in handy today, and by weeks end the PS3 will be here along with a copy of BioShock/MetalGear4/NCAA09/COD4.

Yes, I do rock. :D

proud gonzo
1/26/2009, 02:22 PM
I'm just going to stay inside and not drive.

bri

See, you're finding ways to keep warm.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c148/WhipporwillHeretic/solotatooine.jpg

And I thought they smelled bad......on the OUTSIDE!

XFollower
Owasso is getting a steady drizzle. Streets are wet, but my truck is already iced over. Wind chill is 17, so it won't take long.

Hot Rod
1/26/2009, 02:27 PM
I'm at work and don't want to have to deal with people driving stupid out there. Not sure if I should go ahead and leave or wait until around 4 where the roads may become more thawed out.

1890MilesToNorman
1/26/2009, 02:34 PM

What's the estimate on having her rear end fixed? ;) minus deductible for putting this on the board of course.

I Am Right
1/26/2009, 03:28 PM
I have installed a compete backup generator for the whole house.
Come on Ice Storm, I am Ready.

OSUAggie
1/26/2009, 03:30 PM
dude, at least you live there. We're going to be TRYING to come in from stillwater....it's already pretty nasty here.

Things better/worse in SWO?

About to head that way for the game.

Just started raining here an hour or two ago; doesn't seem to be a big deal at this point.

OU4LIFE
1/26/2009, 05:49 PM
Things better/worse in SWO?

About to head that way for the game.

Just started raining here an hour or two ago; doesn't seem to be a big deal at this point.

I know it's too late and you've left already, but here's my advice: Don't come. streets are really slick and nasty, it's so bad that they have publicly said that tickets are free, to anyone that wants to show up.

at least now i can say i told you so.

Rhino
1/26/2009, 06:10 PM
As long as it doesn't become another ice tornado, I'm cool with it.

Mjcpr
1/26/2009, 08:06 PM
i'm telling you this storm is for real depending on what happens.

This is often the case.

OU-HSV
1/26/2009, 08:09 PM
Great my power is flickering already, has been for at least an hour off and on. Just dimming out. Hope it doesn't go out.

bri
1/26/2009, 08:15 PM
The power is not allowed to go out until AFTER 24, dammit.

BudSooner
1/26/2009, 08:19 PM
No flickers here, HSV what part of BA do ya live in? Is yer power underground?

IBleedCrimson
1/26/2009, 08:38 PM
im so disgusted at the lot of ya's. every time someone tries to have a nice conversation, even about the weather, u filthy it up.

Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this bri is a person I don't want to be around or patronize. There are two other posters which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

BudSooner
1/26/2009, 08:41 PM
That just never gets old. :D

bri
1/26/2009, 08:46 PM
Really? ;)

OU-HSV
1/26/2009, 08:52 PM
No flickers here, HSV what part of BA do ya live in? Is yer power underground?

Out East/toward Coweta kinda. I think all the power that feeds my area is on poles, but from the poles throughout the addition is underground. So the problem must be trees against the poles I'm sure. You'd think they would've learned by now, either get the damn trees away from the lines, or put the lines underground. Seems pretty simple to me.

BudSooner
1/26/2009, 08:53 PM
Really? ;)
Yep, just when you think it's been retired, someone trots it out like it's been stuffed away in someones legal files.

DAMMIT CHLOE!:D

OU-HSV
1/26/2009, 08:58 PM
I have installed a compete backup generator for the whole house.
Come on Ice Storm, I am Ready.

Just don't be one of those morons that during the last ice storm left the generator running in the closed garage overnight and died from the carbon monoxide. Not smart.

OU-HSV
1/26/2009, 08:59 PM
BudSooner, are you in B.A. as well?

BudSooner
1/26/2009, 09:15 PM
BudSooner, are you in B.A. as well?

I'm at Admiral&Harvard, my uncles property is out pretty close to ya..at 141st&209th e. ave.
He took a helluva hit from wildfires in November 2005, but the neighbors have been complaining of electrical woes since the storm from last year.
Uncle has 4acres of land with some old cars/trucks/misc on it, and close to 2acres of it burned.

OU-HSV
1/26/2009, 09:24 PM
I'm at Admiral&Harvard, my uncles property is out pretty close to ya..at 141st&209th e. ave.
He took a helluva hit from wildfires in November 2005, but the neighbors have been complaining of electrical woes since the storm from last year.
Uncle has 4acres of land with some old cars/trucks/misc on it, and close to 2acres of it burned.

Dang, that sucks.
I live further to the North and East of your uncle's area, but I'm sure the electrical problem is the same where he is at.

Boarder
1/26/2009, 11:35 PM

But nooooooo, you're not in Stillwater, you're outside of there. I KNEW it! You're so totally busted, closet aggy sympathizer boy!

proud gonzo
1/26/2009, 11:57 PM
WOO!! Classes canceled today AND tomorrow!

tommieharris91
1/27/2009, 12:30 AM
Dang, that sucks.
I live further to the North and East of your uncle's area, but I'm sure the electrical problem is the same where he is at.

I'm at 71st and Lynn Lane and I have had no problems with power so far.

bri
1/27/2009, 12:53 AM
Aren't you guys required by law to refer to 71st as "Kenosha" once you get that far in? ;)

BudSooner
1/27/2009, 07:09 AM
Sheboygan? Polka musica everyone, though ya can forget the chicken dance, WAY OVER DONE!

Heh, overdone chicken. :D

King Crimson
1/27/2009, 07:13 AM
for kicks: it's -2 here and never got higher than about 8 yesterday.

OU4LIFE
1/27/2009, 09:10 AM
But nooooooo, you're not in Stillwater, you're outside of there. I KNEW it! You're so totally busted, closet aggy sympathizer boy!

shouldn"t you be rebuilding or something?

I was going to Stw to pick up I_SMEEL_FEAR, and then head to tulsa, if you must know. Needless to say we cancelled and didn't go.

srsly, it's pretty dangerous out there.

OklahomaTuba
1/27/2009, 09:34 AM
Roads are covered in sleet, which is nice, as it makes driving on ice easier. Didn't have a single problem getting to work, and drove about 45 all the way here.

OU-HSV
1/27/2009, 10:09 AM
I'm at 71st and Lynn Lane and I have had no problems with power so far.

Yeah I recall us talking before about where you lived when we had a storm blow through here last spring.
My power never completely went out last night, just flickered/faded several times. But after about 9 last night I didn't see it flicker anymore. Which was good because I got to watch us beat osu with no interruptions.

I'm really surprised, but happy, there haven't been a lot of outages with this storm.

OU-HSV
1/27/2009, 10:12 AM
Aren't you guys required by law to refer to 71st as "Kenosha" once you get that far in? ;)

Heh.
Nope, it's a B.A. residential law....and actually tommieharris91 and I just wrote and signed the law. We don't have to call it Kenosha, ever. :D

BudSooner
1/27/2009, 10:47 AM
I have one limb that has me concerned, that didn't get damaged during the ice storm last time, didn't get cut back and now it might come down.

That was the one I was gonna cut when the chain saw quit me...****ing Poulan piece of ****!

proud gonzo
1/27/2009, 05:14 PM
so, there's about 2.5 inches of sleet covering the street where i live. i'm sure i could probably drive on it... but i'm just not going anywhere. i don't now if they're going to cancel classes tomorrow or not. It's been sleeting nonstop since 9 a.m.

tulsaoilerfan
1/27/2009, 05:58 PM
Roads are terrible here; i couldn't even get any deliveries done today and am expecting the same for tomorrow; this SUCKS

proud gonzo
1/27/2009, 05:59 PM
OU Campus closed Wednesday also.

SoonerBorn68
1/27/2009, 06:08 PM
from my house:

http://geocities.com/soonerborn91/pics/5.jpg

http://geocities.com/soonerborn91/pics/7.jpg

proud gonzo
1/27/2009, 06:36 PM
yeah, and last week it was in teh 70s one day. geez.

royalfan5
1/27/2009, 07:06 PM
Your damn ice storm delayed fulfillment of my Amazon order. I also now know that amazon has a your order has been delayed by a natural disaster or other event email.

SoonerStormchaser
1/27/2009, 07:11 PM
Couldn't get out of the driveway...so teh hawt wife and I had to celebrate our second anniversary with a candlelight dinner at home instead of at Benvenutis.

OU-HSV
1/27/2009, 07:54 PM
I stayed home from work today, can't really afford to right now...but when we had less ice a month or so ago it took me damn near 2 hours to get into Tulsa to my office. And I dodged about 3 accidents then, but got stuck behind one accident and someone pushed me into a neighborhood. So I decided to stay home today. Doubt it will be any better tomorrow at all, but I'm going to have to try to go in. The best thing I can do is take the side roads to the creek turnpike and try that route in. Hope I don't end up in a ditch.

Anyone here drive the creek turnpike tonight??

Okla-homey
1/27/2009, 08:34 PM
I stayed home from work today, can't really afford to right now...but when we had less ice a month or so ago it took me damn near 2 hours to get into Tulsa to my office. And I dodged about 3 accidents then, but got stuck behind one accident and someone pushed me into a neighborhood. So I decided to stay home today. Doubt it will be any better tomorrow at all, but I'm going to have to try to go in. The best thing I can do is take the side roads to the creek turnpike and try that route in. Hope I don't end up in a ditch.

Anyone here drive the creek turnpike tonight??

Mrs. Homey drove it home at 6pm. No worries, but you gotta drive like you have some sense.

BudSooner
1/27/2009, 08:44 PM
244 was pretty hairy when I drove up to work to pickup parts, the center lanes were ok, but some of the ice formed grooves and before you know if one of the tires drops into one and could cause a quick uncontrolled adjustment.

BE CAREFUL!

bonkuba
1/27/2009, 08:53 PM
Down here in Ardmore town it is gettin VERY bad. Still sleeting like crazy and doesn't look to let up this evening. I hope my bretheren up North bundle up :D

One of my service trucks did a 360 on I35 earlier today.

Mjcpr
1/27/2009, 10:29 PM
Couldn't get out of the driveway...

Well, could we at least talk you into flying one of our billion dollar planes then?

ouwasp
1/27/2009, 10:51 PM
hey, at least I still have my power! :)

as a teacher, I'm just having days added onto the end-of-yr calendar, just like the kiddos...the bad thing about it is it cuts into my summer job.

So what...just thankful I have the summer job, this day and time.

Come on tornado season! ;)

OU-HSV
1/27/2009, 10:53 PM
Mrs. Homey drove it home at 6pm. No worries, but you gotta drive like you have some sense.

Cool, thanks.
The part I really hope they sanded/salted is the elevated area just past the toll plaza...you know, the really wavy long bridge. That's gonna suck if that's a sheet of ice.

birddog
1/27/2009, 11:05 PM
it's 6 here with 5 feet of snow on the ground. my car is back in teh OKC and i had to walk to the restaurant today-2.5 miles. screw you all. it'll be 65 in oklahoma in less than a week.