PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Rule Change

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2009, 08:01 AM
The object of the game is to score 60 points. The first team to score 60 points wins. If, at the end of regulation, no team has scored 60 points, the team in the lead is declared the winner.

1. No more running up the score arguments. In fact, the goal of every team is to score 60 points.

2. No need for mercy rules.

3. Introduces a new element of strategy for two high-scoring teams that are both nearing the 60-point mark. (Suppose you just scored a TD with two minutes left to go up 58-54. Do you go for two?)

Good idea?

Hey, it's the off-season.

swardboy
1/25/2009, 09:13 AM
....and no commercials after the 30 point mark is reached.

royalfan5
1/25/2009, 09:31 AM
There is only one rule that needs to be changed. And that is the abolition of overtime, and the restoration of the tie.

Flagstaffsooner
1/25/2009, 10:47 AM
There is only one rule that needs to be changed. And that is the abolition of overtime, and the restoration of the tie.You Sir, should seek professional help at once.:confused:

CrimsonJim
1/25/2009, 10:51 AM
There is only one rule that needs to be changed. And that is the abolition of overtime, and the restoration of the tie.

Restoration of the tie?! A tie is like kissing your sister (so I've been told). I don't even have a sister, so don't go there. :rolleyes:

oudivesherpa
1/25/2009, 11:11 AM
No, overtime should be like soccer, at the end of regulations, we have a "kick off" both teams get to try field goals from 20 yards out, moving back 5 yards at a time until one team fails to make a goal. You could also have one 7 foot center at the goal post with a 10 foot stick to try block the goal. When the winning teams scores fans rush the field shooting Gooooooooal, while the remainder of the fans beat the snot out of each other. That's real football.

Vaevictis
1/25/2009, 11:13 AM
Suppose you just scored a TD with two minutes left to go up 58-54. Do you go for two?

Of course you do. Other than the PAT, there is no combination of points you can score that doesn't result in at least 60 points, and the only way your opponent can win without scoring 60 is by getting both a field goal and a safety -- very unlikely if there are only two minutes left and you're getting ready to kick off.

EDIT: I guess they could recover a fumble or intercept on a try and return for a touchdown. But they'd still have to score a field goal to get to 59. In any case, the possible ways of them getting to 59 are much less likely than your being able to convert a 2 point try with an offense that has already scored 58.

Vaevictis
1/25/2009, 11:17 AM
The more important question: Why am I even contemplating this?

fadada1
1/25/2009, 12:58 PM
or... how about no commercials... period.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2009, 03:14 PM
The more important question: Why am I even contemplating this?

Would you rather talk about last week's Sooner football game?

Oh wait...

Bruiser53
1/25/2009, 04:38 PM
Reason this is an awful idea

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282570344

They still might be playing this one

CrimsonJim
1/25/2009, 04:52 PM
or this one

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283660221

snp
1/25/2009, 05:31 PM
Iowa 6 Penn Sate 4 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=242970213)

3. Introduces a new element of strategy for two high-scoring teams that are both nearing the 60-point mark. (Suppose you just scored a TD with two minutes left to go up 58-54. Do you go for two?)

Of course you go for two.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2009, 06:09 PM
Bruiser, CrimsonJim, you obviously missed an important part of the rule, namely that whichever team is ahead at the end of regulation (one hour) is declared the winner.

So the game is played pretty much the same, except the game is declared over once one of the teams scores 60 points.

CrimsonJim
1/25/2009, 06:18 PM
...whichever team is ahead at the end of regulation (one hour) is declared the winner.

So the game is played pretty much the same, except the game is declared over once one of the teams scores 60 points.

Doh! I hereby retract post #12 of this thread.

(Suppose you just scored a TD with two minutes left to go up 58-54. Do you go for two?)

Yelp, ya gotsta go fer the duce.

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2009, 10:19 PM

Yes. There's no advantage to kicking here, as there's no way for the other team to take the lead without scoring 60 (unless you give up a safety) already.

starclassic tama
1/26/2009, 02:42 AM
i hate the college overtime. it turns it into one of those mini games on the NCAA video game. i'm not a huge an of the NFL's either. why can't we just play an extra 5-7 minutes? and then after that if it's still a tie, it's a tie.

Crucifax Autumn
1/26/2009, 02:58 AM
PErsonally I think Leroy isn't gonna be happy until the game is played with a bat and the tiebreaker's a free throw shooting contest!

JLEW1818
1/26/2009, 04:38 AM
LOL

dghere
1/26/2009, 06:49 AM
Has sexat proposed a new rule for breaking 3 way ties since they were so publicly violated last year or whill they just reserve the right to complain again the next time.

And when would they submit to change that rule so we can all be watching.

SicEmBaylor
1/26/2009, 07:20 AM
The object of the game is to score 60 points. The first team to score 60 points wins. If, at the end of regulation, no team has scored 60 points, the team in the lead is declared the winner.

1. No more running up the score arguments. In fact, the goal of every team is to score 60 points.

2. No need for mercy rules.

Good idea?

Hey, it's the off-season.

This idea -- it's terrible.

SoonersEnFuego
1/26/2009, 08:56 AM
Umm, How 'bout NO.

CrimsonJim
1/26/2009, 02:40 PM
PErsonally I think Leroy isn't gonna be happy until the game is played with a bat and the tiebreaker's a free throw shooting contest!

ROFL! Now that's funny right thar; I don't care who y'are!!

Crucifax Autumn
1/26/2009, 10:13 PM
Heh...I couldn't resist it.

Leroy Lizard
1/27/2009, 02:04 AM
I still think it's a great idea. Nothing but positives as far as I can see it. What's wrong with it.

I know, I know... I thought of it.

Crucifax Autumn
1/27/2009, 02:54 AM
Oh, that's the least of the problems.

What if someone hits 60 in the first half? That rips us off of football, destroys epic comebacks, renders the clock less meaningful, and leaves me half drunk at the end of the game instead of totally trashed like I'm supposed to be!

Leroy Lizard
1/27/2009, 04:10 AM
What if someone hits 60 in the first half?

How often has that even been accomplished? Besides, the only way that a team could hit 60 in a half would be for it to dominate its opponent, in which case the game is over already anyway.

A good question would be: Who wants to sit and watch a team piddle around for an entire half because it is already far ahead?

And you could always raise the goal to 70 if 60 is too low.

Sorry about your beer.

OU_Sooners75
1/27/2009, 07:58 AM
i hate the college overtime. it turns it into one of those mini games on the NCAA video game. i'm not a huge an of the NFL's either. why can't we just play an extra 5-7 minutes? and then after that if it's still a tie, it's a tie.

Why not play another 15 minutes, like teh NFL, however not sudden death? Both teams get at least one shot at scoring....Meaning...

If team A get the ball and has to punt (obviously without scoring) and Team B scores....game over.

Play the first 15 minutes like that. If by chance there is a tie at the end of the 5th "quarter" then you go into a type of overtime that college has, but with the 2 pt PAT try implemented in the second OT.

If after the 3rd OT there is still a tie, send out the FG kickers. Starting at 25 years kicking field goals with rushng until someone misses. Moving back 5 yards every attempt.

Seems like a fun way to solve a tie!

OU_Sooners75
1/27/2009, 08:00 AM
I still think it's a great idea. Nothing but positives as far as I can see it. What's wrong with it.

I know, I know... I thought of it.

Besides that fact?

crimson&cream
1/27/2009, 08:45 AM
I rather have no commercials up until a team gets past 40 points and a 20 pt lead, then after that the outcome is pretty well known so who cares then about commercails.

Talking about commercials how many on here really ever buy something because of a commercial. When I think about it thats rare for me. So why do they bother.