PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Baylor Recap

Sooner04
1/25/2009, 12:18 AM
Fool's gold. Iron sulfide. I've allowed it's cold, gangly fingers to wrap around my sporting heart on many different occasions. As an eternal optimist, I take any and all flashes of brilliance and use them to trumpet greatness down the road. This epidemic has plagued me my entire life, and it's led to countless bouts of heartbreak that have left me emotionally scarred to this day.

It stands to reason then that I would tread cautiously when reminiscing about what I saw today. But no. I'm going to leap in head first. What we saw in the final 17 1/2 minutes of the first half today was perfection. Absolute, total, undeniable perfection.

We've seen this team win by double digits when Blake doesn't have a field goal (Utah, 70-52).

We've seen this team win by double digits when the shot clock starts every time we go on the fast break (Rice, 70-58).

We've seen this team win by double digits when a team tries to muck it up (Nebraska, 72-61).

We've seen this team win by double digits when the opponents has waves of bodies to throw at our posts (Texas, 78-63).

And now, we've seen this team win by double digits when our opponent tries to run (Baylor, 95-76).

What has to be said now is that this team doesn't really have an identity. Throw what you want at us, we'll deal with it, adjust, and win. We can fast break you, we can defend you and we can score off sets. My theory on really successful basketball teams states that the really great teams have four guys who can go for 15 on any given night. In our five conference games, we've had five different guys go for at least 16 points. Critical mass has been attained.

Baylor sucks defensively. Abysmal. Still, when Baylor wanted to run, we ran better. When we wanted to shorten the game and extend our offensive possessions, we held them at bay. When they tried to make a run, different shots fell from different shooters. Omar hit a big three. Taylor made several jumpers. We came at them in waves, and they sank like the Bismarck.

Keep this game on your DVR for a bit. You may watch every game this year, but I doubt you'll see us look any better than we did in the first half. Total, absolute, unquestioned perfection.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 26 [flies in the vasoline we are.]
2nd - 32 [sometimes it blows my mind.]
3rd - 14
4th - 23 [keep getting stuck here all the tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!]

LEADING SCORERS:
20 - Blake Griffin [the early alley-oop was an all-timer.]
18 - Taylor Griffin
17 - Willie Warren [he first committed to Baylor, so he thought he'd twist the dagger.]
12 - Tony Crocker

[b]LEADING REBOUNDERS:
17 - Blake Griffin [and he was gassed by the end.]
7 - Taylor Griffin [I'm your garbage man, guaranteed to satisfy.]
5 - Tony Crocker

PLUSES:
1. Juan Pattillo: Whenever a solicitor would enter the grounds of Burns Manor on [i]The Simpsons, Mr. Burns would usually call for the hounds to be released once they made it to the front door. As I see it, in the moments leading up to the Texas game, Jeff Capel sat in his office and twiddled his fingers before telling his assistants to "release the chupacabra". You see, that whole "Juan wants to redshirt" fiasco was a ploy. In reality, our coach is nothing more than a free thinking anarchist. He held Pattillo, the chupacabra, back so he'd have fresh legs to be unleashed once conference play began. The energy he brought off the bench today was undeniable, and he will only get better as he gets more acclimated to the pace of the game. You heard it here first, the chupacabra lives, and thrives, in Norman.

2. Blake Griffin: 20 and 17 with four assists. Running the floor like a gazelle. Passes behind his back or around his head. There is no better player in the country.

3. Austin Johnson: Five conference games, we've 5-0. AJ's averaging 12.6 points a game with 5.6 assists. 28 assists with only seven turnovers. Play like that has turned us from a well-oiled machine to a runaway locomotive.

4. Taylor Griffin: The garbage man. Taylor cleans up the mess. The jumpers are nice, but they won't be there every night. Being there on the weakside is a consistent place to hang out, and there will be plenty of opportunities to fill up the stat sheet. Today's line was gorgeous (18 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks, 3 steals and 1 assist). Four turnovers, but I shant bitch.

5. Bench: You won't see this very often, but our bench was 8-11 from the floor for 20 points. Four assists and no turnovers from Omar Leary. Like I said, total perfection.

6. Capelables: We're up 56-28, and they start the "Same Old Baylor" chant. Simple, yet effective.

7. Free Throw Shooting: 18-23. 78.3%. Be still my beating heart.

MINUSES:
1. Second half rebounding: We go lackadaisacal because we were kicking the tar out of the Bears, but a couple of times it looked like they might make a game of it. We had the answer offensively, but the rebounding in the second half prevented this game from being the unholiest of ***-whippings. It was our lone flaw.

I've been down this road before. In 2001, after several big wins in a row, we went to Stillwater with a chance to take hold of the conference race. We returned home with a 72-44 butt kicking tattooed to our backside. I was at that game, so that probably has more to do with our abysmal showing than anything. I will not be present in the cess pool of Payne County Monday night, but I know our Sooners will be. Will we lay a brontosaurus-sized egg like we did eight years ago? I doubt it. Whatever those orange-clad clowns throw at us, I'd wager we'll be ready for it.

19-1 and 5-0 in the conference, with a chance to really take hold of this thing by its jewels. I cannot wait for Monday night.

Thank you for your time.

soonersyd
1/25/2009, 12:26 AM
Thank you very much for your recap, and all the other games you have recapped for those of us too far away to get to the games. I do appreciate it very much.

OUMonster
1/25/2009, 02:06 AM
Maybe it was the four beers, but today's game was the most fun game to watch this year IMO.

RonMexico7
1/25/2009, 04:35 AM
in all honesty. no bias here. orange is an ugly *** color.

Overtime
1/25/2009, 08:30 AM
PLUSES:
1. Juan Pattillo: Whenever a solicitor would enter the grounds of Burns Manor on The Simpsons, Mr. Burns would usually call for the hounds to be released once they made it to the front door. As I see it, in the moments leading up to the Texas game, Jeff Capel sat in his office and twiddled his fingers before telling his assistants to "release the chupacabra". You see, that whole "Juan wants to redshirt" fiasco was a ploy. In reality, our coach is nothing more than a free thinking anarchist. He held Pattillo, the chupacabra, back so he'd have fresh legs to be unleashed once conference play began. The energy he brought off the bench today was undeniable, and he will only get better as he gets more acclimated to the pace of the game. You heard it here first, the chupacabra lives, and thrives, in Norman.

2. Blake Griffin: 20 and 17 with four assists. Running the floor like a gazelle. Passes behind his back or around his head. There is no better player in the country.

3. Austin Johnson: Five conference games, we've 5-0. AJ's averaging 12.6 points a game with 5.6 assists. 28 assists with only seven turnovers. Play like that has turned us from a well-oiled machine to a runaway locomotive.

4. Taylor Griffin: The garbage man. Taylor cleans up the mess. The jumpers are nice, but they won't be there every night. Being there on the weakside is a consistent place to hang out, and there will be plenty of opportunities to fill up the stat sheet. Today's line was gorgeous (18 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks, 3 steals and 1 assist). Four turnovers, but I shant bitch.

5. Bench: You won't see this very often, but our bench was 8-11 from the floor for 20 points. Four assists and no turnovers from Omar Leary. Like I said, total perfection.

6. Capelables: We're up 56-28, and they start the "Same Old Baylor" chant. Simple, yet effective.

7. Free Throw Shooting: 18-23. 78.3%. Be still my beating heart.

Awesome recap as always. I'd give you some spek but I don't know if my gun has any bullets. ;)

soonerfan28
1/25/2009, 09:12 AM
Does anybody have a recap of the free throw shooting over the last few game because it seems like we have done damn good from the line. If that's the best the Big 12 has to throw at OU then I'm not to worried. I know going to Texas is going to be tough and probably bedlam there, but they are both very winable games.

okienole3
1/25/2009, 10:12 AM
I am sorry, very sorry that I had to miss this one. I was following along on the radio on my way back from Dallas. Your recap makes me think of how I felt after we beat Maryland in '02.

OUSKINS
1/25/2009, 10:54 AM
First of all, you get Spek for the Stone Temple Pilots references...well played :)

My thoughts:

--I agree.

Honestly, that's all I really have to add. It was perfection on many levels. OU's greatest strength is our athleticism, so if teams want to speed the game up, then go right ahead-- we'll run you off the floor.

One point I'd like to make: Blake was the best player on the floor, obviously. And Curtis Jerrells is going to be in the NBA as well, but the player that "impressed" me the most? Willie Warren. That guy just knows how to play the game. He is going to eventually be a point guard and he's going to be a great one....he had a ridiculous drive and dish in the second half that Orlando Allen flushed home. Willie combines two things you rarely see from a freshmen-- brilliance and efficiency.

Kind of nervous about the OSU game simply because I doubt we go 16-0 in the B12, and it makes sense that we'd drop a road game or two along the way. This could be one of those games. But in terms of "should" we win-- yeah, no contest.

birddog
1/25/2009, 11:08 AM
these recaps are becoming my favorite part of this whole board.

thanks. not all of us get to see the games.

IronHorseSooner
1/25/2009, 11:17 AM
Kind of nervous about the OSU game simply because I doubt we go 16-0 in the B12, and it makes sense that we'd drop a road game or two along the way. This could be one of those games. But in terms of "should" we win-- yeah, no contest.

OSU will be tough, as will be UTerus and BU down there, but the game that concerns me the most is at Mizzou. Nobody really knows how they are doing it, but they are looking pretty darn good and they haven't lost at home yet. KU at home will be tough, but outside of Aldridge and Collins, they don't have anybody else who can consistently beat you.

soonerfan28
1/25/2009, 11:21 AM
I saw the highlights on soonersports and Beau Gerber even had a basket. I think no game the rest of the season benefits us as much as this one. We were able to get a lot of guys quality time on the court and that will be very beneficial even though it was at home.

8timechamps
1/25/2009, 06:42 PM
Yep, it sucks not getting the game. This was one I was waiting to see, only to be let down by ESPN's choice of coverage.

Anyway, I was waaaay of on Lomers, but it didn't seem to matter anyway. Sounds like we took care of business.

Obviously the next game's a big one. I feel really good about it.

It's nice to be back in the place that you aren't worried about just making the tourny. Thanks Coach Capel.

josh09
1/25/2009, 06:46 PM
We played amazing the other night. I hope we can keep it up for the rest of the season, because if we do, I dont think we can be stopped.

Boomer.....
1/26/2009, 09:25 AM
Very impressive game. Great write-up.

Jeopardude
1/26/2009, 11:13 AM
04 is dead on about everything. Everything is coalescing for this team right now. I just hope the whiny bitter runts from Stillwater who somehow can boo with a hick accent don't get in Willie Warren's head.

King Crimson
1/26/2009, 11:36 AM
4 days ago we were concerned about an unexpectedly tough game against Nebraska on our home floor.

ahem.

i'm in this for the long haul, eye on the prize type stuff....i'm not going to let 20 minutes of basketball or 9 points by one player sway my course too much.

cjames317
1/26/2009, 01:28 PM
I upgraded my Dish package to pick up ESPNU for this game. Worth it! Hope they'll be in HD tonight.

NormanPride
1/26/2009, 03:25 PM
It isn't you, isn't me
Search for things you can't see
Going blind, out of reach
Somewhere in the vasoline

This is the point in the season where I worry. My parents taught me a phrase they learned in their early marriage when they used to bet $5 on horses for a date. They would pick the horse with "good early speed" and were always disappointed.

I worry that we peak too early. Teams that make it deep in the tourney are hot towards the end, not in late January. We're hot now, and I worry that we're going to cool when it counts.

Of course, we could be the all-scoring gods of basketball, but I doubt that. :) This is when developing depth is most important, and I think Patillo could not pick a better time to start picking things up. Cade will find his game eventually, and we have serviceable posts to cool Blake when he has fouls, but we need another do-it-all that can plug in multiple places when things aren't going well.

Sooner04
1/26/2009, 03:44 PM
This is the point in the season where I worry. My parents taught me a phrase they learned in their early marriage when they used to bet $5 on horses for a date. They would pick the horse with "good early speed" and were always disappointed.

I worry that we peak too early. Teams that make it deep in the tourney are hot towards the end, not in late January. We're hot now, and I worry that we're going to cool when it counts.
I'm glad my STP reference picked up a few kudos. :)

I used to be like you, NP, but I've seen too many goofy things to worry about peaking. I watched the '99 team leak oil all over the place at the end of the season. They're rewarded with a 13-seed (the lowest ever given to an at-large team at the time) and they parlay it to a Sweet 16 run.

Then the 2001 team enters the Dance hotter than Halloween in Beirut and promptly loses to Indiana State.

Every team is different. I like that we've seen many styles of ball thrown at us and it's taken an other-wordly shooting effort by Arkansas to give us our sole loss. That chameleon-like approach to winning thrills me to no end.

ouleaf
1/26/2009, 04:43 PM
Great analysis. I agree! I can't wait til we get to Tourney time and we can shut these Big East/ACC fans up about them being the best in the country. Last time I checked, neither of those conferences were represented in the title game last year.